Becoming a Competitive Candidate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SDFutureDOC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm going to be starting my sophomore year at UCSD.

I currently have a cGPA of a 3.81, and after a lot of internal indecisiveness I'm confident that I want to attend medical school. I'm going to be taking organic chemistry the upcoming year and I have heard how important that is in getting admitted to medical schools, so I will definitely be focusing on that.

I just wanted some advice on how I should go about becoming a competitive candidate. I have started volunteering at the UCSD hospital, and I have already committed to doing at least 100 hundred hour there. Typically, how much volunteer hours do most med school applicants complete? I've also have been looking for some sort of research position, but I haven't committed to anything because I'm looking for a research position that I will actually enjoy and one that I can stay with for at least a few years (instead of jumping around to different research positions). How did you all go about finding research positions? I've been browsing through the research that faculty at my campus are involved in, but what else can I do? And how did you all contact physicians in order to shadow them?

Additionally, I was also wondering when the optimal time is to take the MCAT. I know I haven't taken a lot of the courses that will be necessary to be prepared for the MCAT yet. Is the MCAT typically taken in the summer before one's third year, or towards the end of the third year? I only ask this because I will be finishing OCHEM series this year and I'm not sure if I will be able to take some of the biochemistry, physiology and sociology courses that are now more prominent on the MCAT.

I'm also actively involved in intramural sports. I was also a part of a club that tries to get medical equipment to Nicaragua, and I am hopefully going to go on a medical trip there. During the summer, I was a TA in a course for incoming freshmen from underprivileged high schools that aimed to prepare them for the rigorous nature of college courses. I wasn't too involved in too many ECs the first year, but I plan to get involved in a few more clubs and become a bigger presence on campus. What other ECs do you all think might be a good idea to check out? I know this is different for each person and depends on individual interests but it would be great just to get a feel of what other people are involved in.

I understand that it can be dangerous to think about these things as a check list, but I am really aiming to try to get into a top medical school and I know that there are certain things I have to do in order to be a competitive candidate. Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide me.

Members don't see this ad.

With the addition of Sociology, Psychology, and Biochemistry to the MCAT, it's become more difficult to take the MCAT after your sophomore year (if you're avoiding a gap year). But I STILL recommend trying. I am assuming you're also taking Physics this year as well, so if you want to take the MCAT before your junior year, you should aim for a class schedule like this. (I am assuming you passed out of General Biology and did not pass out of Introductory Psychology)

Fall:

Organic Chemistry 1
Physics 1+lab
Physiology (Optional)
Psychology 1

Winter:

Organic Chemistry 2
Physics 2+lab
Sociology 1
Genetics (Optional)

Spring:

Organic Chemistry 3
Physics 3+lab
Biochemistry
Organic Chemistry lab (Optional; you can put this off until later if you want)

As for volunteering, try to volunteer regularly each week until you apply. Don't stop unless you actually do want to be perceived as a box checker.

With the addition of Sociology, Psychology, and Biochemistry to the MCAT, it's become more difficult to take the MCAT after your sophomore year (if you're avoid a gap year). But I STILL recommend trying. I am assuming you're also taking Physics this year as well, so if you want to take the MCAT before your junior year, you should aim for a class schedule like this. (I am assuming you passed out of General Biology and did not pass out of Introductory Psychology)
So sad - esp. since you gain nothing to get ahead in med school with those courses. Based on your schedule are you on a trimester system? Most schools are in a semester system.

Members don't see this ad :)
So sad - esp. since you gain nothing to get ahead in med school with those courses. Based on your schedule are you on a trimester system? Most schools are in a semester system.

Yup, UCSD is a quarter system school. Quarter system, in many cases, loses out to semester system, but the one advantage is stuffing in tons of classes before the MCAT. :smuggrin:

With the addition of Sociology, Psychology, and Biochemistry to the MCAT, it's become more difficult to take the MCAT after your sophomore year (if you're avoiding a gap year). But I STILL recommend trying. I am assuming you're also taking Physics this year as well, so if you want to take the MCAT before your junior year, you should aim for a class schedule like this. (I am assuming you passed out of General Biology and did not pass out of Introductory Psychology)

Fall:

Organic Chemistry 1
Physics 1+lab
Physiology (Optional)
Psychology 1

Winter:

Organic Chemistry 2
Physics 2+lab
Sociology 1
Genetics (Optional)

Spring:

Organic Chemistry 3
Physics 3+lab
Biochemistry
Organic Chemistry lab (Optional; you can put this off until later if you want)

As for volunteering, try to volunteer regularly each week until you apply. Don't stop unless you actually do want to be perceived as a box checker.
Yeah I'm in a trimester system, so thankful I will be able to fit in a few more classes. I actually did test out of the general biology so I won't have to worry about that. I'm also taking Physics this quarter like you guessed. I kind of messed up by not taking CHEM 7L (the introductory Chem lab) during the summer, so now I'n taking that for FALL quarter and I'm not sure if I'll be able to squeeze in Psychology (because I'm also taking a GE that I was going to get out of the way....would you recommend dropping this in order to focus on the courses that matter?). Thank you though, I will definitely follow your advice for Winter and Spring quarters. The only two courses that I'm committed to taking in those quarters are Organic Chemistry and Physics (along with it's lab). How critical do you think taking the organic chemistry lab is?

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely keep up with volunteering and not just focus on an hour amount. I really want to take it during the summer so I don't have to worry about conflict with courses, because the spring MCAT for my junior year would be right during finals week for me...I think I would preform much better if I could focus exclusively on studying for the MCAT.

If you're at UCSD, chances are your GE at either of the 6 colleges will require you to take some form of humanities/sociology/psych courses. You should use those to prepare you for the MCAT part.

Look into volunteering at the UCSD SoM student run free clinic - you get alot more clinical exposure than volunteering at thorton hospital. Another good clinical volunteering is the Palomar Health CCE program (now called Pathmaker Intern i think).

Aerus' proposed schedule is not bad, but if you're keen with physics, consider the 2 series. PM me to talk more about setting your 4 year plan and which professors best to take. For example, I strongly recommend taking honors series for Ochem - especially 140CH with Dr. Tor.

FOr research, I personally emailed a bunch of PI who's work is in the field i'm interested in. I didn't bother too much about the specifics because I didn't really understand them anyways at the time. However, UCSD bio department has a list of faculties that are looking for student volunteers (i believei t's under the "Research" tab).

For ECs, find something you like doing and commit to it. For example, if you like teaching, there are tons of opportunities to get involved in. I.e. TAing for bio courses, tutoring will-be-first gen college students in San diego area like City Heights...etc. UCSD's HMP3 org has these weekly newsletter where the director sometiems send out volunteering opportunities among other things.

Yeah I'm in a trimester system, so thankful I will be able to fit in a few more classes. I actually did test out of the general biology so I won't have to worry about that. I'm also taking Physics this quarter like you guessed. I kind of messed up by not taking CHEM 7L (the introductory Chem lab) during the summer, so now I'n taking that for FALL quarter and I'm not sure if I'll be able to squeeze in Psychology (because I'm also taking a GE that I was going to get out of the way....would you recommend dropping this in order to focus on the courses that matter?). Thank you though, I will definitely follow your advice for Winter and Spring quarters. The only two courses that I'm committed to taking in those quarters are Organic Chemistry and Physics (along with it's lab). How critical do you think taking the organic chemistry lab is?

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely keep up with volunteering and not just focus on an hour amount. I really want to take it during the summer so I don't have to worry about conflict with courses, because the spring MCAT for my junior year would be right during finals week for me...I think I would preform much better if I could focus exclusively on studying for the MCAT.

That's fine. I'm not taking General Chemistry Lab until this year (after my MCAT). I do recommend you drop that class if you're planning on following my schedule. General Chemistry Lab is a huge time sink.

You will NEED psychology, especially if you don't have any class experience with psychology.

I do recommend dropping your GEs if you can't handle more classes. You can take your GE's anytime you like.

I am currently studying for the MCAT and I didn't take Organic Chemistry lab yet either. The lab will be helpful in understanding the lab techniques better, but I've found that Youtube videos works just as well as a substitute. Physiology and Genetics are much higher yield for the new MCAT, from the looks of the 2015 content list.

I also second @hoihaie on the Honors Organic Chemistry. Any organic chemistry that appears on the MCAT will be free points for you after you take that class.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you guys for the great advice. I'm taking a look into the classes and because there are so much demand for a lot of them, there aren't very many seats left. I might be stuck with taking Physics 1A, the Chem 7 Lab, and Organic Chemistry along with a random GE....the only reason why I took that GE was because it was 2 units and earlier in the day. Both Sociology and Psychology directly conflict with either my Physics class or Organic Chemistry class, so do you guys think I might be able to squeeze them both in next quarter? I tried looking for Honors OCHEM right now and it didn't seem to be available, I'm not sure if they're offering it this year.

hoihaie, I will definitely be PMing you for help with that. Thanks to both of you, I feel like I have a better idea of what I need to do now.

Here are some classes I recommend taking for the MCAT, in no particular order (for bio you don't necessarily have to take all of them, but if you're a bio major and need electives for the major, consider these ones):

1. Mamphys (BIPN 100 & 102) - strongly encourage taking this before MCAT. I didn't and learning that by myself was not very fun.
2. Metabolics (BIBC 102)
3. Genetics (BICD 100)
4. Cell Biology (BICD 110) - the BILD series do not really prepare you enough for the MCAT
5. Molecular Biology (BIMM 100)
6. Immunology (BICD 140)
7. Endocrinology (BIPN 150?)
8. Ochem series (Chem 140A, BH, CH) & lab (CHEM 143A with Ternasky - you will be thankful for not having to write lab reports)
9. Upper div psych - 10x's class i.e. social psych (I think PSYC 101? Forgot the actual code tho)
10. Sociology 1 (SOCI 1)
11. Structural Biochem (BIBC 100)
12. Bacteriology (BIMM 120 - not as important though)
13. Any writing/reading intensive class (i.e. PHIl 27/Phil 28) this will help you prep for verbal section by forcing you to start reading hard-to-read stuff
14. Physics 1 or 2 (depends on which ever one has the better professor now)

Thats all i can think of for now

Thank you guys for the great advice. I'm taking a look into the classes and because there are so much demand for a lot of them, there aren't very many seats left. I might be stuck with taking Physics 1A, the Chem 7 Lab, and Organic Chemistry along with a random GE....the only reason why I took that GE was because it was 2 units and earlier in the day. Both Sociology and Psychology directly conflict with either my Physics class or Organic Chemistry class, so do you guys think I might be able to squeeze them both in next quarter? I tried looking for Honors OCHEM right now and it didn't seem to be available, I'm not sure if they're offering it this year.

hoihaie, I will definitely be PMing you for help with that. Thanks to both of you, I feel like I have a better idea of what I need to do now.

as far as i know, CHEM 140A does not have honors. Only B and C. Those are only offered on track, meaning in winter for 140B and Spring for 140C.

I don't know enough about the new mcat to say when's best to take sociology and psych, but at least in my experiences, UCSD psych classes are purely rope memorization, meaning it'd be pretty easy if you spend some time each day memorizing stuff.

You also need 1 stats class.

THe 2 most popular ones for premed is psych 60 and math 11/11L.

Psych 60 is way easier than math 11/11L, but if you passed out of Math 10/20A and need another math class, then take math 11/11L to fullfill the 1 year math requirement at alot of schools

Here are some classes I recommend taking for the MCAT, in no particular order (for bio you don't necessarily have to take all of them, but if you're a bio major and need electives for the major, consider these ones):

1. Mamphys (BIPN 100 & 102) - strongly encourage taking this before MCAT. I didn't and learning that by myself was not very fun.
2. Metabolics (BIBC 102)
3. Genetics (BICD 100)
4. Cell Biology (BICD 110) - the BILD series do not really prepare you enough for the MCAT
6. Immunology (BICD 140)
8. Ochem series (Chem 140A, BH, CH) & lab (CHEM 143A with Ternasky - you will be thankful for not having to write lab reports)
9. Upper div psych - 10x's class i.e. social psych (I think PSYC 101? Forgot the actual code tho)
10. Sociology 1 (SOCI 1)
13. Any writing/reading intensive class (i.e. PHIl 27/Phil 28) this will help you prep for verbal section by forcing you to start reading hard-to-read stuff

Thanks for the great list. It seems kind of daunting because I don't know if I will be able to fit enough of those into my schedule to get a good score by the end of my sophomore year, but I will definitely try my best to. Thankfully I don't think I will have much trouble with the verbal section because I read regularly and it was my highest score on the SAT. I think I'm going to just go with the Physics 1 series because I elected not to take Physics in my high school because there was no AP and that class was a joke, so it might hurt me not having any background knowledge. Out of that list, would you say Genetics, Molecular Bio, Ochem, Physics, and Psychology would be the main ones I want to hit?

Oh yeah, I'm also planning to take Math 11L this year as well.

Members don't see this ad :)

2. Metabolics (BIBC 102)
3. Genetics (BICD 100)
6. Immunology (BICD 140)
10. Sociology 1 (SOCI 1)

Immunology, Endocrinology, and Bacteriology are all overkill. I literally mastered everything needed to know on the MCAT for those subjects in three days (one day each with 3-4 hours each day).

Thanks for the great list. It seems kind of daunting because I don't know if I will be able to fit enough of those into my schedule to get a good score by the end of my sophomore year, but I will definitely try my best to. Thankfully I don't think I will have much trouble with the verbal section because I read regularly and it was my highest score on the SAT. I think I'm going to just go with the Physics 1 series because I elected not to take Physics in my high school because there was no AP and that class was a joke, so it might hurt me not having any background knowledge. Out of that list, would you say Genetics, Molecular Bio, Ochem, Physics, and Psychology would be the main ones I want to hit?

You will not be able to take Molecular Biology unless you push the MCAT into your third year. Also, definitely take Physiology if you can.

I would add biochemostry, physiology and cell biology on there. But if you're keen on taking the mcat before junior year, then I would say physiology, genetics, physics, ochem and psych.

Generalyl the more background bio you know, the faster you would be in going through the passages

You will not be able to take Molecular Biology unless you push the MCAT into your third year. Also, definitely take Physiology if you can.
Is that because of upperdivision standing? I think that I have that already, or did you mean that it would be hard to fit into my schedule? Is Molecular Biology an important component of the MCAT?

Is that because of upperdivision standing? I think that I have that already, or did you mean that it would be hard to fit into my schedule? Is Molecular Biology an important component of the MCAT?

No, because you need Biochemistry before Molecular Biology and you need Organic Chemistry II before Biochemistry. You literally cannot take it during your second year unless you take Organic Chemistry a quarter earlier than everyone else, which is far too late right now.

Molecular Biology is a huge component, but you should learn a lot of the basics in your Genetics course. The rest you will have to self teach. No way around it.

it's because you need biochem and genetics as prereqs

Immunology, Endocrinology, and Bacteriology are all overkill. I literally mastered everything needed to know on the MCAT for those subjects in three days (one day each with 3-4 hours each day).

haha i suppose, but I heard endocrinology is a lotta fun and my MCAT wasl ittered with hormones T_T.

Immunology is really interesting and fun too while bacteriology with James Golden is extremely easy

Okay! Thanks folks, I'm going to try to go through these courses and at the end of the year assess whether or not I might be ready to take the MCAT. You've helped me enough already, but do either of you have an experience in shadowing?

When are you applying for med school? If you're applying during your senior year (which I recommend), then I suggest taking it during the summer between junior and senior year. Dedicate that summer to prepping for mcat and take it in september. that way you get more time to hit al lthose prereqs and not rush through your classes thereby risking your GPA

Okay! Thanks folks, I'm going to try to go through these courses and at the end of the year assess whether or not I might be ready to take the MCAT. You've helped me enough already, but do either of you have an experience in shadowing?

I tried shadowing my PI at UCSD med, but there is apparently regulations that only allow med students to shadow UCSD physicians. I suggest contacting surrounding hospitals like scripps memorial or local small clinics

When are you applying for med school? If you're applying during your senior year (which I recommend), then I suggest taking it during the summer between junior and senior year. Dedicate that summer to prepping for mcat and take it in september. that way you get more time to hit al lthose prereqs and not rush through your classes thereby risking your GPA
That was my original plan but I've heard so much about applying early giving you an advantage, and I believe i heard that the earliest you can apply is the June right before your senior year (so basically during senior year like you stated). If I take it in september I won't get the results back for at least another month or so right? Then I would be applying later than a great deal of the early birds.

That was my original plan but I've heard so much about applying early giving you an advantage, and I believe i heard that the earliest you can apply is the June right before your senior year (so basically during senior year like you stated). If I take it in september I won't get the results back for at least another month or so right? Then I would be applying later than a great deal of the early birds.

yes, applying early is vital. My timeline requires you to apply the next year (during your senior year spring/summer) while taking a gap year.

SDfutureDOC:

You have a first year 3.81 cGPA. You want to protect it (and sGPA) at all costs. Slow down, maybe consider a gap year. You only want to apply once. Don’t get “stuck with taking Physics 1A, the Chem 7 Lab, and Organic Chemistry along with a random GE...” ; or don’t try to “squeeze” in courses.

If you’re dead set on not taking gap year, although intro psych and sociology courses are required for future MCATs and maybe some schools are or will make them actual admission reqs, you don’t need to stuff intro psych and sociology into second year. As suggestion take say one in fall 2015, one in winter 2016, both ahead of say an April/May 2016 MCAT. You could also, looking ahead to third year, take a light/full time schedule of 3 courses in winter 2015-16 along with MCAT prep course. Med schools would probably not penalize you for such a light winter quarter.

If you're at UCSD, chances are your GE at either of the 6 colleges will require you to take some form of humanities/sociology/psych courses. You should use those to prepare you for the MCAT part.

Look into volunteering at the UCSD SoM student run free clinic - you get alot more clinical exposure than volunteering at thorton hospital. Another good clinical volunteering is the Palomar Health CCE program (now called Pathmaker Intern i think).

Unfortunately, I believe the student run free clinic doesn't accept volunteers, I've asked last year.

Unfortunately, I believe the student run free clinic doesn't accept volunteers, I've asked last year.

Having toured the student clinic during my interview, I can confirm that there were indeed undergraduate volunteers there.

Reactions: 1 user
Regarding research, there's the FMP program at UCSD:
https://students.ucsd.edu/academics/research/fmp/

I've never done that program, but I think they have a list of faculty that are open to having undergrads in their lab. A lot easier than cold-emailing PIs who are generally unresponsive (which is what I did). AEP offers a lot of opportunities for research both during the year and during the summer (offering good stipends during the summer too).

If you're a Biology student, I'd definitely do a BISP 196 again just because it's just good research that you can put on your application. If you want to do further research, it provides you with the bare minimum of writing an abstract, doing a poster presentation and maybe an oral presentation. All just good things to know. Also fill out that general scholarship application form for the Biology department scholarships (don't think it's Biology major specific). Its good to say that you had funding for your research.

As someone else said before, subscribe to the HMP3 newsletter. Would probably have been one of the best resources to use during my undergrad. If you can get involved in HMP3 and on the board, I think you would be aces. I've heard that Adele writes great LORs, which makes sense.

Seconding Mamm Phys (BIPN 100). I took it with French and learned a ton. I'm not going to advocate learning it solely for the purpose of medical school, but it does make physiology that much easier during medical school. I don't really remember if it was on the MCAT (doesn't really matter because new MCAT), but that course I'd recommend taking before you graduate. If your interested in that kind of stuff.

2. Metabolics (BIBC 102)
3. Genetics (BICD 100)
6. Immunology (BICD 140)
10. Sociology 1 (SOCI 1)

Sorry for the previous misconception about volunteering at the free clinic. At the time, I asked Dr. Johnson (Co-Director) and I guess I just got flat out denied. :(

I would like to add Reproduction & Development (BICD 134) with Ghiara. Made review of the repro system & development really easy breezy. Should also be a relatively easy A.
I went without BIBC 100 and BIPN 150 and did really well in the MCAT bio section. But that's subjective.
I second BICD 110, BIBC 102, BIPN 100, & CHEM 143.