Becoming a dentist is my ultimate career goal but...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

okaykaaay

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a second year biology student at a Canadian University.

Here's the thing: I really do believe that dentistry is right for me after much consideration and two summers of shadowing two dentists, but I have other interests like travelling, arts, and music. One of the reasons I decided to pursue dentistry was the fact that I get to use my craftsmanship as a part of my job.
A part of me wants to finish undergrad, go to dental school, and start working as soon as possible (if everything works out, of course), but the other part of me is contemplating on experiencing other things before I have to commit to my job and responsibilities. By other things I mean possibly taking a year off and travel and learn art in Italy, etc.
I have been on this safe and assured path of maintaining high GPA, volunteering, shadowing, and doing research, but I don't want to miss out on life at the same time. Not that I don't enjoy university (I very much do in fact) but I know there is so much beyond this.

Did anyone else go through same/similar thing trying to decide? Would it be a waste of time/money? Any advice would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

It might be worth it to look into a gap year. Maybe you could find a job that offers you the flexibility to take time off once in a while to travel, or you could work for part of your gap year and then allow yourself a super summer before dental school to travel. If you're smart with your traveling (i.e. keeping it as reasonably priced as possible), you can even save up some money for dental school!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you already have the requisite gpa, shadowing, volunteering..you should go take that year or more to try out a different life. Dental school will still be there and if you don't go you may forever wonder about it. In the grand scheme you don't lose much by applying next cycle compared to this one.

I took some time off while I was applying. It's nice in that you don't have classes and exams to juggle while flying around and interviewing. I would however ensure that one year is all you take and make sure you begin school the year after. Go travel internationally once interviews are done with. Spend December - June travelling (especially SEA) and you will come back home with a renewed appreciation for life. I promise you!