Becoming a doctor and emigrating?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SomeGirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an American undergrad right now. I'm hoping to get an MD afterwards, and I really want to eventually move to Australia, New Zealand, or (preferably northern) Canada (but not Quebec, as I don't speak French), especially in a rural area. I'm trying to figure out the fastest way to become a doctor and immigrate to one of those countries.

I've looked at Canadian med schools and unfortunately it's a closed door for international applicants. As for residency, you have to be a citizen or PR to register with CaRMS. Are there other ways to do a residency there?

I'm not sure about Australian or New Zealand med schools, and the path to becoming a doctor there confuses me in general.

Worst case scenario, I'll have to go to med school in the US AND do my residency here as well. After that, could I practice in Australia, New Zealand, or Canada? Or would I have to redo my training?

I'm really confused about this whole thing. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an American undergrad right now. I'm hoping to get an MD afterwards, and I really want to eventually move to Australia, New Zealand, or (preferably northern) Canada (but not Quebec, as I don't speak French), especially in a rural area. I'm trying to figure out the fastest way to become a doctor and immigrate to one of those countries.

I've looked at Canadian med schools and unfortunately it's a closed door for international applicants. As for residency, you have to be a citizen or PR to register with CaRMS. Are there other ways to do a residency there?

I'm not sure about Australian or New Zealand med schools, and the path to becoming a doctor there confuses me in general.

Worst case scenario, I'll have to go to med school in the US AND do my residency here as well. After that, could I practice in Australia, New Zealand, or Canada? Or would I have to redo my training?

I'm really confused about this whole thing. Thank you in advance!

Its not impossible in Canada its just really expensive and probably quite competitive. I know for a fact that McGill, UofT and McMaster (possibly Dalhousie as well) take US citizens, but the downside is you pay international fees which are honestly pretty expensive, but with the current exchange rate maybe somewhat manageable.

The problem is i'm not even sure if you'll be able to apply for residency even if you did medical school in Canada. In my opinion this isn't really smart considering that getting into medical school in Canada as a medical student is pretty difficult and the numbers are limited.

The most realistic and best option would definitely be to do US medical school (MD will be much less hassle than DO) and residency in the US (ACGME certified) and then come here to Canada to practice. I'm pretty sure Canada recognizes US training in pretty much any specialty with the exception of internal medicine unless you do a subspecialty and this is because IM in the US is 3 years while it is 4 in Canada (and even then you would only need to a supervised year or an extra year of residency in Canada).

Australia and New Zealand are a bit different i'm not sure how it works there either. I'm sure its possible but you may need to write licensing exams or possibly repeat some training not sure.

The general rule is that once you are a fully qualified doctor any country will want you if you did your training in the US, at most you will have to write an exam or two.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user