Becoming a fellow year 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

birdboybird

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am under army HPSP. Is it possible for me to take a year of absence and become a fellow during year 3? Has anyone ever done anything like that?

Thanks all

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mean teaching fellow during medical school? The ones I'm familiar with are the OMM fellows at DO schools. This usually adds a year to medical school extending it from 4 years to 5 years. The HPSP office will likely not allow you to do this as it will throw off their expected numbers for graduating medical students they need each year.

Members don't see this ad :)
The feeling at the "Department of HPSP" is and always has been that any request for an educational leave of absence that does not produce a degree will be denied. On the same note, requests for degree producing (MPH) LOAs are usually denied as well.

Reactions: 1 user
I honestly don't really much understand the point of doing those fellowships anyways. Isn't it better to finish residency a year earlier and start making attending salary?? #dontderailthethread #sorry.