Becoming a PA through the military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daniel0703

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone could spread some knowledge about becoming a PA through the military. Throughout my online research legitimate sources have been scarce. I'm currently a senior and will be graduating in 2.5 semesters, I should have all the general PA perquisites complete upon graduation.

Quick stats:
cGPA: 3.8
sGPA: 4.0
1.5 years of HCE

Is it possible to have PA training specified in your military contract, so I don't get stuck doing something I don't want to do upon completion of military training etc..?

I know the Army and Navy have PA programs but are they both open to civilians and what are the differences?

The more information the better!

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I can speak for the Air Force and Army that their PA programs are NOT open to civilians. Can't say for the Navy though but I'd assume it's similar. There are a lot of enlisted-to-PA programs and even officer-to-PA programs. Haven't heard of any for civilians.

I can speak for the Air Force and Army that their PA programs are NOT open to civilians. Can't say for the Navy though but I'd assume it's similar. There are a lot of enlisted-to-PA programs and even officer-to-PA programs. Haven't heard of any for civilians.

Do you know if you can get a 100% guarantee in your military contract for an "officer-to-PA program" training?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
From what I understand, you have to compete for slots at military PA programs. They wouldn't be able to guarantee you anything like that. They have no shortage of applicants to their programs from military enlistees. With your stats, I'd just get trained as a PA in the civilian world and join active or reserve. Then you'd be in a position to have them assign you as a PA.

Do you know if you can get a 100% guarantee in your military contract for an "officer-to-PA program" training?

No, it will not be in your contract. You will have to either enlist or commission into a specific career or as "open general" meaning they pick a career for you. After you complete training in your career and arrive at your duty station, you can then apply to the PA program.
You are much better off just becoming a PA civilian side.

I'm a contractor for the military and precept PA students. Some are in the NG or reserves which is a sweet deal as they get paid for going to school and can go back home to a civilian PA job.

Reactions: 1 user