Becoming a phlebotomist, but hoping to get into medical school.. will that hurt my chance??????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OREGONPREMED1991

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently enrolling in a phlebotomy course to become a registered phelbotomist. The course is only 2 semesters long and won't affect my normal course work for my biology degree. With the phlebotomy license I am hoping to be able to work in hospitals, clinics and volunteer with blood drives. Doing so I am hoping to build connections, and experience. But I just read an article that stated medical schools might be hesitant to accept me due to the shortage of nurses, I know I'm not going to be a nurse but do they view phlebotomist's the same way as nurses?

So if anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure that's seen as good clinical experience. I know someone else who did that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
... I just read an article that stated medical schools might be hesitant to accept me due to the shortage of nurses...

What article? Pretty sure ( and most on here would agree) that phlebotomist would be viewed as clinical experience in the eyes of med school admissions, which is definitely a positive.

What article? Pretty sure ( and most on here would agree) that phlebotomist would be viewed as clinical experience in the eyes of med school admissions, which is definitely a positive.
I read that in "The not so short introduction to getting into medical school" By Ryan Aycock. I found the article on SDN. But thanks for the input!

Just quick skimming through and looking at the clinical experience section of that article, he specifically mentions that working as a CNA, EMT, or medical assistant is a way to get real genuine clinical experience. I guess I would assume that a certified phlebotomist would fall into this category.

I am currently enrolling in a phlebotomy course to become a registered phelbotomist. The course is only 2 semesters long and won't affect my normal course work for my biology degree. With the phlebotomy license I am hoping to be able to work in hospitals, clinics and volunteer with blood drives. Doing so I am hoping to build connections, and experience. But I just read an article that stated medical schools might be hesitant to accept me due to the shortage of nurses, I know I'm not going to be a nurse but do they view phlebotomist's the same way as nurses?

So if anyone has any advice, it would be much appreciated!
Becoming a phlebotomist will certainly not hurt your chances (it will likely improve them).

However, thinking that it will hurt your chances because of this stated reason (which makes zero sense) can lead one to believe that you have rather poor reasoning skills. People who make idiotic statements are usually idiots themselves. Don't be an idiot if you want to get into medical school.

Becoming a phlebotomist will certainly not hurt your chances (it will likely improve them).

However, thinking that it will hurt your chances because of this stated reason (which makes zero sense) can lead one to believe that you have rather poor reasoning skills. People who make idiotic statements are usually idiots themselves. Don't be an idiot if you want to get into medical school.
I was simply asking people who are more experienced then I am. After reading what I found in that article, I googled it and also read a few things that stated "some medical schools might look at it as veering off course". I'm sorry I upset you for asking a question, I hope your day gets better. :)

Reactions: 4 users
I was simply asking people who are more experienced then I am. After reading what I found in that article, I googled it and also read a few things that stated "some medical schools might look at it as veering off course". I'm sorry I upset you for asking a question, I hope your day gets better. :)
My day has been wonderful. But people on here should not have to answer silly questions that can be answered just by thinking for two seconds before posting. Waste of time. Honestly, why would becoming a phlebotomist hurt your chances at getting into medical school? You get patient exposure, learn how to draw blood, and perhaps even get to work alongside physicians depending on your environment.

Smarten up.

Lol plz...

OP just asked a question. No need to be a D. If you're tired of answering questions, then politely ignore them.

Reactions: 3 users
My day has been wonderful. But people on here should not have to answer silly questions that can be answered just by thinking for two seconds before posting. Waste of time. Honestly, why would becoming a phlebotomist hurt your chances at getting into medical school? You get patient exposure, learn how to draw blood, and perhaps even get to work alongside physicians depending on your environment.

Smarten up.
Then don't respond to "silly questions". Your just looking for a chance to feel better about yourself.

Wow edgerock I hope you won't call your patients idiots for asking silly questions. Then again if you are anything like this in interviews you probably won't ever be in that situation

Reactions: 1 users
Lol plz...

OP just asked a question. No need to be a D. If you're tired of answering questions, then politely ignore them.
Oh, thanks for the advice. Surely will take that into consideration.

Then don't respond to "silly questions". Your just looking for a chance to feel better about yourself.
What?

Wow edgerock I hope you won't call your patients idiots for asking silly questions. Then again if you are anything like this in interviews you probably won't ever be in that situation

Yeah, because there is an established relationship between posting on SDN and talking to patients.

Didn't realize how sensitive people can be here. Astounding.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, thanks for the advice. Surely will take that into consideration.

What?

Yeah, because there is an established relationship between posting on SDN and talking to patients.

Didn't realize how sensitive people can be here. Astounding.

Being a bully on the internet is a sign of insecurity and weakness. If you are not willing to speak like this to patients, then you must know it is not right.

Being a bully on the internet is a sign of insecurity and weakness. If you are not willing to speak like this to patients, then you must know it is not right.
I'm done posting here, but you need to grow a thicker skin. If you think anything I stated was "bullying" then that is pretty sad. If anything, I supplied advice in a direct, strident manner. Apologies if that came across as being a bully. However, it's undeniable that you will need to be able to receive tough advice/criticism/comments if you want to work in this field for the rest of your life. Best of luck.

I'm done posting here, but you need to grow a thicker skin. If you think anything I stated was "bullying" then that is pretty sad. If anything, I supplied advice in a direct, strident manner. Apologies if that came across as being a bully. However, it's undeniable that you will need to be able to receive tough advice/criticism/comments if you want to work in this field for the rest of your life. Best of luck.
Agreed! Best of luck to you as well.

Not at all, but the behavior on anonymous forums is the more honest one, and you are a damn fine specimen of condescending spitefulness.

You implied someone was an idiot for asking an uninformed question and told them to smarten up. You're a bully.

Yes, please do stop posting.

Reactions: 1 users

You're right as far as the idea that people are going to need to synthesize ideas for themselves.

But at the same time you can make your point in a professional manner without offending people and calling them idiots.

gracious.jpg

Back on topic folks.

Anyway, there have been people who have expressed concern about training to e a nurse then diving right into medical school due to there being a nursing shortage and taking a spot from someone who would have gone into nursing. That said, adcoms realize people change their minds, and plenty of nurses get into medical school.

As far as phlebotomy goes, I think it's great clinical experience and a good side job to earn a little money as well. I don't see an adcom viewing it negatively or as veering off track. I don't think its viewed as a career the same way nursing might be. Though there are plenty if people who do it as a lifelong career, plenty of others others do it en route to other things including nursing and medicine.

Nope, good thing. I'm going to getting my certification too.

OP - I work at a clinical lab and I'm involved in the supervision of our phlebs - from my experience there are two types of people who go into phlebotomy
-Older folks who have lost their job mid career and are looking for a stable position that doesn't require more years of schooling
-Or younger folks who are in a transitional phase of their life (and need little bit of cash). Most are gone within 2 yrs

I would say being a phlebotomist CAN be a really good clinical experience depending on where you get a job. The duties of a phlebotomist vary widely from place to place. Some places just want you to poke patients and that is the end of the story (usually clinics). Others will allow you to do pretty much everything (specimen processing, communicating with the PCUs, assisting in bone marrow collections, doing EKGs,reviewing and fixing doctor's orders, etc) except the actual testing of the specimens.

Only advice I have is try to find a phlebotomy program that actually has a few weeks of an internship included in it. ~90% of our hires are previous interns (other 10% are from employee recommendations). Rarely do we hire someone from a pile of applications. And if you can choose-do your internship at a inpatient hospital (they usually tend to use their phlebotomist for all sorts of things). It might be a good idea to look at which hospitals the programs are affiliated with prior to actually choosing a specific school. Good luck!