Becoming a Vet Technologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jenibenii

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I've been trying to research online about this (and searched the SDN forums too), and I don't feel like I've found very definite information. Also sorry if this is too long winded :oops:

Some background info -- I'm ending my sophomore year of school now, going for my BA in Animal Science, pre-vet concentration, and a Biotechnology minor. This year I started wavering on my decision to pursue Vet school because I feel that I lack the drive needed be successful, and I also don't have the grades for it. Soooo, becoming a Vet Technologist seems like a much more reasonable goal for me.

My questions are: What exactly do I need to do to get on track to become a Vet Technologist? I know it requires a 4-year degree/program as opposed to an Associates degree, but the information I've found on that always refers to Vet Technicians. I was under the impression that they weren't the same thing, or that a Technologist is a slight step above a Technician (clarification, pleeeease)? Also, since there are specific programs for it, which I'm not doing, would it be possible to get enough experience through outside clinic work and then be eligible to take the exams? So far I only have a little bit of experience from my major courses, but I'm hoping I will be able to shadow or intern this summer (or even get a job?!).

I haven't been able to talk to my college advisor yet, so I'm hoping to get some insight from you all! Thanks :]

Members don't see this ad.

Here's a FAQ from the NAVTA which explains a lot of this. https://www.navta.net/faq/faqs
It depends on your state if you can take the board exam without going through an accredited associate's or bachelor's degree program. (Here's the link where you can find out what your state requires: http://www.aavsb.org/DLR/). I know in my state you can either get a bachelors in animal or biological science and then be employed full time for a year as a tech, or you can work full time for 5 years as a tech and sit for the exam without doing a technician/technologist program. It looks like the only difference between a technician and a technologist is the difference in schooling (which I would imagine corresponds to a difference in pay).

A technologist has extra school. You take the same exam and become a licensed veterinary technician. Technically with more schooling should come a higher pay scale.

Definitely check your states laws specifically!!! Laws regarding veterinary technicians have been changing. I know in my state a bachelors degree no longer is sufficient and some people who didnt quite get grandfathered in spent a lot of money, and couldnt sit for the exam. Also states are moving away from allowing people to become technicians through experience alone and do require you to go to an accredited program.

Also please keep in mind your plans for the future. Do you want to move to another state maybe? I know licensed technicians who sat for the exam and passed and are licensed in their state of origin but moved and because they didnt go to an accredited tech program are ineligible to be licensed here.

So...the way laws are going. My advice would be to go to an accredited technician program and sit for the exam. That way if laws change or if you want to move somewhere with different laws then you will be all set.

I went to tech school and then I got my bachelors degree. I've spent the last few years working as a technician and I do enjoy it, but its not for everyone and there is a pretty high attrition rate. I wouldnt choose to be a tech because you dont think you can get into vet school. Compare the duties and ask yourself which job you'd enjoy more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely check your states laws specifically!!! Laws regarding veterinary technicians have been changing. I know in my state a bachelors degree no longer is sufficient and some people who didnt quite get grandfathered in spent a lot of money, and couldnt sit for the exam. Also states are moving away from allowing people to become technicians through experience alone and do require you to go to an accredited program.

THIS. Definitely make sure that what you're finding regarding your state is the most recent information. I have been told that I could sit for the exam with my bachelor's in biology only, but, at least from what I can piece together, that's no longer true in my state. It's also super-confusing trying to figure out state laws, but NAVTA should have good summaries (and I think somewhere on the AVMA website is also some info).

In AZ you have to go through a program now. Last August was the last chance to sit for the test without going through the schooling.

Hey all, I've been trying to research online about this (and searched the SDN forums too), and I don't feel like I've found very definite information. Also sorry if this is too long winded :oops:

Some background info -- I'm ending my sophomore year of school now, going for my BA in Animal Science, pre-vet concentration, and a Biotechnology minor. This year I started wavering on my decision to pursue Vet school because I feel that I lack the drive needed be successful, and I also don't have the grades for it. Soooo, becoming a Vet Technologist seems like a much more reasonable goal for me.

My questions are: What exactly do I need to do to get on track to become a Vet Technologist? I know it requires a 4-year degree/program as opposed to an Associates degree, but the information I've found on that always refers to Vet Technicians. I was under the impression that they weren't the same thing, or that a Technologist is a slight step above a Technician (clarification, pleeeease)? Also, since there are specific programs for it, which I'm not doing, would it be possible to get enough experience through outside clinic work and then be eligible to take the exams? So far I only have a little bit of experience from my major courses, but I'm hoping I will be able to shadow or intern this summer (or even get a job?!).

I haven't been able to talk to my college advisor yet, so I'm hoping to get some insight from you all! Thanks :]

Hello! I'm a Registered Veterinary Technician in the state of California and I hope I can be of help on this topic. It appears that you are also a resident of California, so let me attempt to fill in the gaps for you as best I can. The difference between a Veterinary Technician and Veterinary Technologist is, as has been stated by others here, purely one of educational merit in this state. You will receive the same license and have all the same privileges as someone who does not possess a Bachelor's. Difference in pay? Maybe. It really depends. Given that both can do exactly the same things from a legal standpoint, it's really about what you bring to the table as a professional. I know some techs grandfathered in who could easily run circles around some with the extra years of education.

The best resources for information on how to go about obtaining qualification to sit for the licensing state boards are CaRVTA and the california VMB. Bear in mind that there is a national licensing through AAVSB that you can obtain for interstate practice, but CA requires their state board to practice here (if you're planning on moving, you'll have to do some further investigating to make sure the VTNE is the only examination you'll need - usually it is). The pathways for licensure have changed over the years, but there are still ways to qualify in CA that do not require a degree and where you can get on-the-job experience with minimal educational credentials to make the cut. All of the information you need should be in the links to follow. Fun fact: As of January 2012, RVT's have title protection in CA just as most other medical professionals do. It is illegal to call oneself a "Veterinary Technician/Technologist" without possession of proper licensing. Read that on CaRVTA. You can keep up with the evolving field of Veterinary Technology there and it's a great resource in general for anyone interested in this stimulating career path! Best of luck in your pursuits!

And with that, here are those helpful links for you:
https://www.carvta.org/rvt_faq.asp
http://vmb.ca.gov/
http://www.aavsb.org/vtne/

Also, just thought I'd add: I think you should go for the AVMA accredited institution degree. The way I see it, you'll have less issues with licensing wherever you choose to go and you'll walk away with more knowledge and awareness to serve you better in the long run if you make the most of the educational experience. (Note that the national licensing exam appears to require a veterinary technology degree to sit for it.) That's merely my personal opinion, though. I got my AS to become licensed originally.

Last edited: