Becoming an RDA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheeseb0i

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I become an registered dental assistant to improve my resume? The cost of doing so would be around $200.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a RDA. I'm hoping it helps, but make sure you understand the requirements.

In CA:
If you are in undergraduate school right now, it'll be hard to actually get it done unless you have a dentist thats willing to hire you as a dental assistant for hundreds of hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not an RDA but I am a certified dental assistant. I've been working in my families dental practice for the past 3 years now and just this year I have been obtaining my certificates in Coronal Polishing, Radiation Safety, Infection Control, etc. I am a reapplicant and I have been sending the dental schools my certificates and have been telling them of my plans of becoming an RDA. I think it helped a bit since it allowed me to keep in constant contact with the admissions offices. I received 2 more interviews after updating some schools and I just received an acceptance. I think becoming a dental technician would be better which is what my friend did and he got several more interviews than I and I believe we had the same stats. Being a dental tech will show that you've prepared your hand skills for dental school, but becoming a tech may cost more.

Last edited:
Or working in a lab as a tech (making crowns, bridges, dentures) I've heard is good practice

Reactions: 1 user