Becoming More Competitive Within the Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bopcheese

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I wanted to post a little bit about myself and see if I am on the right track to getting those acceptances to dental schools next year (Fall 2017) and was hoping if the sdn community could give me some genuine advice on what to improve on and how to increase my chances of getting accepted in my first cycle of attempts! P.S my top schools are Temple, Pitt, and Maryland!

I'm currently a sophomore at Penn State with:
Overall GPA: 3.53 (current)
Science GPA: 3.39 (current)

Unfortunately, I underestimated the rigorous classes I'm currently taking and I think my GPAs might take a small hit after this semester. In the worst case scenario, they'll drop to 3.5 and 3.35, respectively

I'm going to be diligently studying the DAT next spring while taking a light course load too in hopes that I'll retain the information better and kill the DATs.

Some ECs I have include:
  • Working at a commons desk on university campus
  • Lab teaching assistant position for an anatomy course
  • Sculpture club
  • Pre-Dental Society (and hopefully soon-to-be exec member)
  • Global Medical/Dental Brigade member
  • SMDEP at Case Western this summer :D
  • Pre-med/Science major YouTube video for university convocation
  • ~ 30 hours of volunteering for various committees and events including blood drive, etc.
As far as shadowing goes:
  • ~ 60 hours with my family dentist
  • ~ 25 hours with an orthodontist
  • ~ 5 hours with an endodontist
Any advice at all would be appreciated! So far, my advisors have told me to try to do some research, but I'm more worried that my science GPA isn't competitive... What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Get at least 100 shadowing hrs and a 20 DAT. Be confident at interviews. Your GPA is fine with a high DAT.

Reactions: 1 users
You are doing well, like @pilotdentist said, just get a decent DAT score of at least 20. Get a few more shadowing hours, you don't have to go overkill.

I noticed you wrote you are sophomore, are you planning on graduating early to enter the Fall 2016?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd go for more volunteering hours. Especially try to make them part of notable events, such as, Give Kids A Smile, or other large scale events where you do enough to get some of the organizers to write you a good letter of recommendation (if needed). There are a few schools out there that require LoR from volunteer/ community organizations. Plus you should get some more shadow hours.

Reactions: 1 users
You are doing well, like @pilotdentist said, just get a decent DAT score of at least 20. Get a few more shadowing hours, you don't have to go overkill.

I noticed you wrote you are sophomore, are you planning on graduating early to enter the Fall 2016?

I think I meant to say applying during that year, haha. Thank you all for the advice!

I'd go for more volunteering hours. Especially try to make them part of notable events, such as, Give Kids A Smile, or other large scale events where you do enough to get some of the organizers to write you a good letter of recommendation (if needed). There are a few schools out there that require LoR from volunteer/ community organizations. Plus you should get some more shadow hours.

I sometimes have trouble finding more volunteering opportunities back at home besides helping out at a rescue mission or community events (but those are pretty rare too!). But I'll keep an eye out for the more notable events, thanks!

Hey everyone!

I wanted to post a little bit about myself and see if I am on the right track to getting those acceptances to dental schools next year (Fall 2017) and was hoping if the sdn community could give me some genuine advice on what to improve on and how to increase my chances of getting accepted in my first cycle of attempts! P.S my top schools are Temple, Pitt, and Maryland!

I'm currently a sophomore at Penn State with:
Overall GPA: 3.53 (current)
Science GPA: 3.39 (current)

Unfortunately, I underestimated the rigorous classes I'm currently taking and I think my GPAs might take a small hit after this semester. In the worst case scenario, they'll drop to 3.5 and 3.35, respectively

I'm going to be diligently studying the DAT next spring while taking a light course load too in hopes that I'll retain the information better and kill the DATs.

Some ECs I have include:
  • Working at a commons desk on university campus
  • Lab teaching assistant position for an anatomy course
  • Sculpture club
  • Pre-Dental Society (and hopefully soon-to-be exec member)
  • Global Medical/Dental Brigade member
  • SMDEP at Case Western this summer :D
  • Pre-med/Science major YouTube video for university convocation
  • ~ 30 hours of volunteering for various committees and events including blood drive, etc.
As far as shadowing goes:
  • ~ 60 hours with my family dentist
  • ~ 25 hours with an orthodontist
  • ~ 5 hours with an endodontist
Any advice at all would be appreciated! So far, my advisors have told me to try to do some research, but I'm more worried that my science GPA isn't competitive... What do you guys think?

Hey, I am graduating Penn State this may, and will be going to dental school next year. I think you are in a good position and trust your Bio and Chem classes you took at PSU. PSU sciences (especially Bio 200 series and Ochem) prepares you very well for the DAT.

Keep doing what you are doing, cuz your ECs are solid. Good luck, and make PSU proud.

Hey, I am graduating Penn State this may, and will be going to dental school next year. I think you are in a good position and trust your Bio and Chem classes you took at PSU. PSU sciences (especially Bio 200 series and Ochem) prepares you very well for the DAT.

Keep doing what you are doing, cuz your ECs are solid. Good luck, and make PSU proud.

Thank you and congrats fellow Penn Stater! Haha, are you by chance in the Pre-Dental Society?