been out of school for a while and really, really,really need your advices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alino60

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been out of school for about 14 years and have not practicesd since coming in this country seven years ago because of familial and financial matters.
Now I am preparing for Part I for July 2003
What are my chances for the NDB I and admission in a school.
Please , Please I realy need good advices.
For Part I, I only have DENTAL DECKS (1998) and OLD EXAMS.
IS there any difference between dental decks 2001 and 1998?

Please help .I really want to get back on tract.
IS Any body in the same situation?

Thanks in Advance...

Members don't see this ad.

hi,
somewhat same situation with me also but little time about 6 years due to my children.i have two babies who are now three and two years old and they keep me so much busy now
i have also started little preparation for NBDE part 1 and also need advice from you and other people,i also planne dto go with it if possible in this july.
i do have previous papers and dental decks 2001 edition nothing else besides these
I heard kaplan would help a lto for preparation
Can i have your e-mail address so we can talk easily mine is
[email protected]

thanks and waiting for your mail

my situation goes like this..had my degree in 1998-1999...done two years work ,, may considered training. But due to a Civil war back home, I Immigrate here(USA).and till my papers go through and other financial problems ..had to work anything that come my way , I am also now a Certified Pharm Tech .. now I am 100% ready to takle the NBDE

But the major thing that bug me is the lost of my confident in doing dental work...even though I was on top of my class especially the clinical part... So my only option is,to take
that Advance Two years course .. even thougn I dont want to waste another two years, but in the long run I think it might be worth I. And you would be converting you degree to one of the state..so if you ever open a clinic you may not encoutner some of the really patriot patient. ;)

tell me what you think...
I need the opinion of both of you .

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for replying.
I only have old exams and dental decks part I (1998).
Is there any difference with the decks 2001 edition?
Please tell me
I am planing to apply to that Advanced Dental program but I don't know what's going to happen 'cause being out of school and practice for so long.
Just praying that I could pass the NDB and get accepted.
But with all I am reading on this web , it's going to be difficult.

Thanks
Alino

I have read alot of messages that was posted here. Most of them agreed in one thing, that the decks are almost the same in all the editions..and it comes out like every 3 years..

But what you most need is the lecture part to review ...I mean..dentistry is like bikeing..once you already handle it well..you can never forget it..only polish it...I have known a dentist a who was waiting for 15 yrs in Canada for his paper to finish...and after all thoes years he passed the exams and now he is working in his field..

Study hard the lecture part..if you already request the application From ADA for the NBDE exam..they give a list of some books they refered to..you dont need to buy them all. try to join Kaplan Center..they will provide you with lots of review material and some of them have a study room with books..I am going to join them once my application got accepted..I dont want to waste $1000 for nothing.

there are some threads in this forum that discussed what book to use as a review material...was posted or responded by member name (Griffin04)
try to read hers.. I dont remeber the name of the thread,,but it will give insight to the dental student encounter with the NBDE.

Good Luck :)

Thanks HIM0098,
I just met a student who sold me the Kaplan book for Part 1.
These books are huge.
I am trying to take the part 1 in July 03. Do you think I have time ?
Do you know the difference between Raw scores and Standard scores?

GOOD LUCK to you all for the exams.

Thanks.

Alain

Hi,
The best bets for passing NDB part 1 are , Dental Decks and Question papers .. and maybe a few of your Old Class notes ..
As far as time goes, all of you can easily prepare with 3 months of studying.Start from Today , it is important that you study effectively..and fast ..
You don't need use Kaplan books as they are to in detailed and that much of detail is not asked in the Dental Boards ..
It is a waste of time and money to join kaplan, as they just give you a single book for all that money and nothing else.
Besides the book is too in detailed meant only for medical students.!!!, but they are selling it to Dental students.
If you have Dental decks and Question papers , and a study program , that is enough.
Just follow a study timetable and you should do fine ...
1) Dental Decks
2) Asda Reprints.( 1987-1997)
3)Old class notes if necessary....
4) Study Schedule......
on the order of importance for the subject's...
i believe it to be..
Pathology
/
microbiology
/
Biochemistry
/
Physiology
/
Dental Anatomy
/
Anatomy.
Hope that helps you out..
smilemaker
:p

hi
i have been reading your e-mails.well it doesn't make any difference how long back you did dentistry.Take it as you are just revising what you have studied.yoou just need to concentrate and study ,it's not a difficult exams.ASDA reprints and dental decks are sufficient and if you have time you can read kaplan book for biochemistry. It helps.
DON"T BE DISCOURAGED.so many people have given it and you can do it easily
bye