Before an exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What do you do before an exam?

• Total voters

OrphanageCaretaker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
That one Ochem final or Biochem final is today. You've spent days studying and reviewing all of your notes. Now comes the test day and there is an hour, what do you do to help recall information or relax yourself? Personally I drink coffee before my exams

Members don't see this ad.

I listen to D&B, house, and trance to take a break in between studying times and just before the class. Music really helps clear your mind of any stress or anxiety.

Edit: I recommend Blackmill if you're interested in chillstep music to help with any nerves. Blackmill helped me get through organic when I had taken it.

Reactions: 3 users
What he said ^
Also this semester I discovered the magic of eating chocolate before my exams. It was mostly stress eating but my friend and I devoured about 2 or 3 servings of chocolate each before our microbiology final. I felt better than I have writing an exam in a long time, but I did crash on my subway ride back home haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I listen to D&B, house, and trance to take a break in between studying times and just before the class. Music really helps clear your mind of any stress or anxiety.

Edit: I recommend Blackmill if you're interested in chillstep music to help with any nerves. Blackmill helped me get through organic when I had taken it.

I'm into trap and dubstep but I listen to Euro trance when studying. Inna's voice works wonders

the beatles and tame impala, you can also never go wrong with the black keys to pump you up

CRAM SOME MORE!! That's what I usually do..

Reactions: 1 users

Can confirm. Works well.

It also helps that I didnt start studying until the morning of. Good motivator.

11/10. Would use again.

panic..

I HATE pre-exam hysteria, or when people double-and triple-check things with each other while they're waiting for the exam to be handed out. "Wait, what's this thing? Hey, what are the three points we should know about this?"

I generally try to cram until right before... then while walking to class and when waiting for the test to be handed out, I look at my phone for a few minutes or something completely off topic that will take my mind off (for the moment) the stressful exam ahead.

I also am a big believer in stimulants and "focus" foods haha. I take a few caffeine pills and eat an avocado the morning of. Jk, not a few, I basically live off caffeine pills...

I also am a big believer in stimulants and "focus" foods haha. I take a few caffeine pills and eat an avocado the morning of. Jk, not a few, I basically live off caffeine pills...

I tried them once, and got SO sick... my goodness, my heart was racing so bad!!! I thought I was going to die lol
It's funny now, but felt horrible at the moment. I took just one pill too, but I guess even that was too much for my body.

Members don't see this ad :)
I tried them once, and got SO sick... my goodness, my heart was racing so bad!!! I thought I was going to die lol
It's funny now, but felt horrible at the moment. I took just one pill too, but I guess even that was too much for my body.

AHHH oh jeez. Yeah I know a few people who are like that... Haha idk how you do it then, I think I would be screwed without the energy they give me. But because of athletics I get significantly less sleep than I should, so that might be why I need them

I HATE pre-exam hysteria, or when people double-and triple-check things with each other while they're waiting for the exam to be handed out. "Wait, what's this thing? Hey, what are the three points we should know about this?"

Me too!! This one girl asked me a question I didn't know the answer to RIGHT before our Microbio exam. I started panicking, and the test began like 30 seconds later. I'm convinced that's the reason why I didn't get an A on that test.. Ughh screw her! I hope she failed (Just kidding!)

AHHH oh jeez. Yeah I know a few people who are like that... Haha idk how you do it then, I think I would be screwed without the energy they give me. But because of athletics I get significantly less sleep than I should, so that might be why I need them

That's great that you found that works for you and are able to be productive with little sleep!! I cannot even drink coffee, it makes me sick also. Maybe I should keep drinking it and hope that I'll get used to it? I need that ENERGY!!!! lol

It's amazing what 3 cans of monster can do for you.

that's actually how you commit things to your long term memory.
Form a study group, ask each other questions, quiz each other, etc, etc.

Reading the powerpoint or your own notes are just passive ways of studying.

Honestly, one of the best ways to learn is to teach it to someone.

Honestly, one of the best ways to learn is to teach it to someone.

Yes, I agree with you. But to do that literally 30 seconds before an exam with people you haven't studied with isn't going to help much. It's more likely to just create pandemonium.

Haha, 30 seconds before an exam. I would just take a nap.

omg I go nuts when people do that. It is espically annoying when they say something wrong, and you know that they are wrong, but you can't resist the urge to reach out to your packback and re-check your notes.

Becuase of this, I tend to hide in the corner with coffee and any type of snack, wait for the professor to walk in and walk in with them. That way I avoid those people

That one Ochem final or Biochem final is today. You've spent days studying and reviewing all of your notes. Now comes the test day and there is an hour, what do you do to help recall information or relax yourself? Personally I drink coffee before my exams
First I separate myself from everyone else, theyre too panicky and I dont want their negativity to rub off on me in the slightest. I know Im ready so I just go take a slow stroll outside and relax/daydream or find a quiet spot and goof off playing on my phone. I dont drink coffee, but I find myself eating plenty of chocolate before, and sometimes during, tests.

First I separate myself from everyone else, theyre too panicky and I dont want their negativity to rub off on me in the slightest. I know Im ready so I just go take a slow stroll outside and relax/daydream or find a quiet spot and goof off playing on my phone. I dont drink coffee, but I find myself eating plenty of chocolate before, and sometimes during, tests.

Coffee is a great stimulant for me, yeah as well as other students, I'll go in to a hallway before an exam and I can always see people quizzing each other on the most bizarre details when they should mainly be covering the general "big idea". I love your breakdown of the DAT and the books used. Congrats on being a dental student as well :) I read about your studying habits/timing/management and saw protein shakes and such, which leads me to one question. Do you lift?

Coffee is a great stimulant for me, yeah as well as other students, I'll go in to a hallway before an exam and I can always see people quizzing each other on the most bizarre details when they should mainly be covering the general "big idea". I love your breakdown of the DAT and the books used. Congrats on being a dental student as well :) I read about your studying habits/timing/management and saw protein shakes and such, which leads me to one question. Do you lift?
Thanks! I'm glad it all turned out alright as well. Yes, I lift. Been slacking recently, going only twice a week, but after finals weeks I'll be back to going to the gym 4x a wk.

Thanks! I'm glad it all turned out alright as well. Yes, I lift. Been slacking recently, going only twice a week, but after finals weeks I'll be back to going to the gym 4x a wk.
What are your splits like on a daily basis?

Interesting. Arms twice a week. I sometimes hit shoulders twice, mainly b/c it's my favorite part to work out and I want a more pronounced V-shape.

My shoulders are my favorite muscle group hands down (no pun intended), so technically I do shoulders twice a week as well because I count shoulders in the arm group as well the back/bi group because of lat pulldowns. Also, my arms have physically been my weakest muscles so I try to over compensate but still work out every other muscle group. If you want a better V shape, trust me it's 30 % shoulders and 70% lats. Do wide grip lats and pull ups along with side raises, you'll get a better V shape. I also like to do heavy OHP to get those boulder shoulders.

My shoulders are my favorite muscle group hands down (no pun intended), so technically I do shoulders twice a week as well because I count shoulders in the arm group as well the back/bi group because of lat pulldowns. Also, my arms have physically been my weakest muscles so I try to over compensate but still work out every other muscle group. If you want a better V shape, trust me it's 30 % shoulders and 70% lats. Do wide grip lats and pull ups along with side raises, you'll get a better V shape. I also like to do heavy OHP to get those boulder shoulders.
Good tip, I really ought to do more wide grip pull ups. Can't wait till finals are over and I can spend more time working out.

Good tip, I really ought to do more wide grip pull ups. Can't wait till finals are over and I can spend more time working out.

Noobs. Upper/Lower workout is the real deal.

Noobs. Upper/Lower workout is the real deal.

Too many exercises for upper body for it to be an effective workout. OHP, Deadlift, Bench plus secondary exercises such as lat pulldowns, incline press, rows, side raises, dips, chinups, spider curls. I'd rather focus on one main muscle group plus secondary muscle group per day.