Before anyone posts another "what are my chances" thread, read this...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skip Intro

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll answer it for you, in one response:

JUST APPLY!

But, if you need more info, maybe this will prevent you from starting another thread...

1) There is absolutely no reason that your specific situation is so unique that you need to have an additional thread for people to answer. Again, just apply to the program and find out. You have nothing to lose. But, apply to U.S. schools first. There is no reason not to go through the application process in the U.S. if you have a realistic shot there. If you don't have a realistic shot or you already applied and didn't get in, then keep reading.

2) Figure out where you stand with regards to the strength of your overall application. I posted a thread (click on this) that I feel is a pretty strong and realistic categorization of how strong you are as a U.S. applicant. It also helps to show you where you might fall in a Caribbean program. Read that thread too.

3) Generally speaking, you are probably going to get accepted to at least one of the more reputable Caribbean programs if you:
  • Have a sciences GPA > 2.8
  • Have an MCAT score > 22
  • Have decent LORs (yes, you still need them)
  • Speak English fluently
  • Don't have any other major deficiencies (been arrested/convicted of a crime, caught cheating in school and/or otherwise dismissed from an undergrad program, etc.)
4) Even if you don't meet all the criteria in (3), you should still apply because we ultimately don't know what your chances are. Some people get special exceptions. Some people have something else that makes them shine. Some people will have flaws or deficiencies forgiven and overlooked by the admission's committee. Some people are stellar in other ways and can be accepted based on other intangible criteria. Again, we don't know what those criteria are. Just apply. What's stopping you? Why are you posting another "what are my chances" thread instead of reading the others? Seriously. Narcissism? Angst? Insecurity? Your situation is so different? It's not. Trust us.

I hope when new "what are my chances" threads are opened, people will point them to this thread instead of responding. There's no need to start a completely new conversation each time this question is asked, often with the redundant, repetitive, and misleading information that ensues.

JUST APPLY! And find out for yourself! Or, at the very least, do a search and read all those other threads first. I'm 99.9% sure your question will be answered if you do that. If not, feel free to come here and ask a specific question about your situation. NB: specific.

[/rant]

-Skip

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
it costs time/money to apply dude. much easier to make a thread on sdn. if you dont like reading them, dont

Reactions: 3 users
:bang:

Completely missed the point. Completely. Did you even read what I wrote?

THEY ARE ALL ALMOST EXACTLY THE SAME POST!!!!!!!!!!!!

And then all manner of people swoop in and post a variety of information, some of which is completely wrong.

Do a search. Compare yourself realistically to what's already been posted. And, if there still is any question, JUST APPLY!

-Skip

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
it costs time/money to apply dude. much easier to make a thread on sdn. if you dont like reading them, dont

Furthermore, if you are going to base a major life decision predominately on something you read on SDN - something that has been discussed and answered over and over again ad nauseum on this forum, that is whether or not to even apply - I question your ability to self-educate. I also question your motives.

-Skip

P.S. Skip's in a bit of a foul mood today. Can you tell? :laugh:

Last edited:
Not to mention these schools have MERP/Foundations etc to get you in. It seems like if you can secure loans you can at least get a shot.

Although Caribbean schools may have less competitive admission standards, they certainly do not accept everyone, as there are limited spots, just like medical schools in the US do not just accept anyone. Not everyone gets accepted into the MERP/Foundations programs either.

Reactions: 1 user
@Skip Intro do Caribbean schools reject ppl? Or do they all find some way to get you in?

I don't know the exact answer to this.

I do know that the "rejection" can occur after you start there and can't hack the material or environment. I saw a lot of this, as mentioned on other threads, when I was there. Clearly, there were some kids there who never should've been there in the first place. And, adding to the fact that they left the program with a lot of debt and nothing to show for it, they are only left to ask themselves if it was worth it.

There are a lot of options in the Caribbean. All are an uphill battle. Some are insurmountable. If one chooses a program that doesn't have a solid record of placing grads into residency, then it's a total crap shoot in my opinion.

-Skip

Not to mention this is lazy. Lazy is probably how those asking this question ended-up on this forum in the first place. If you think you can be lazy and successfully navigate your way through the Caribbean, you're in for a huge surprise. (HINT: The lazy people that go to the Caribbean in the end never get to call themselves "doctor" either.)

-Skip

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry I figured instead of creating a new one I'd bump an old one. I saw some of the schools reported their average GPA and MCAT but going through SDN I saw that some people are applying to these with much lower gpa (<3.0) and lower MCAT (22-24?) than what I saw as reported averages. That's where I got confused a bit.

And like the other poster said, it costs money to apply. I figured I'd just ask the question on a forum so that people who have some experience or are actually attending these schools can give some input. Anyway this info:
was very helpful and what I was looking for. Thank you~

I am going to apply either way but I don't want to spend my money on it if there's no reasonable chance for me to get in this year. And if there is anything I should do to improve my application.

Thanks again.

If you are going to apply to Caribbean school consider IUHS. It is a Caribbean based school but you need not go to the islands. I'm a second year student and am happy with my choice. Send me a PM if you like and I'll provide some details for you. IUHS.edu is a good place to start.

If you are going to apply to Caribbean school consider IUHS. It is a Caribbean based school but you need not go to the islands. I'm a second year student and am happy with my choice. Send me a PM if you like and I'll provide some details for you. IUHS.edu is a good place to start.

We've discussed IUHS on several different threads recently. Do a search before choosing this (or any other) program.

-Skip

IUHS sounds almost too good to be true. No need to spend tens of thousands of dollars on living expenses in a island. Just live for free with your parents and finish your basic sciences in your pyjamas, lol! Sounds nice!

Also, the school boasts of a 95% residency match rate and very high Step 1 and 2 pass rates, impressive though not sure if it's accurate! Although I'm leery of Caribbean programs now, I really wish I had chosen IUHS over Windsor.

However, wouldn't residency programs know that you are completing an online basic sciences program? Wouldn't that reduce your chances of matching into a residency? seems sketchy to me.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
IUHS sounds almost too good to be true. No need to spend tens of thousands of dollars on living expenses in a island. Just live for free with your parents and finish your basic sciences in your pyjamas! Sounds nice!

Also, the school boasts of a 95% residency match rate and very high Step 1 and 2 pass rates, impressive! Although I'm leery of Caribbean programs now, I really wish I had chosen IUHS over Windsor.

However, wouldn't residency programs know that you are completing an online basic sciences program? Wouldn't that reduce your chances of matching into a residency?

Please stop trolling on this forum. Thank you.

-Skip

Please stop trolling on this forum. Thank you.

-Skip

trolling? i'm stating my genuine feelings about IUHS and I suspect a lot of applicants feel the same way too. Although I don't recommend IUHS (never said I have), I am fascinated with this new type of online medical education and yes, I have some comments and questions about it. If you don't like something I write, feel free to not respond to it. You are not the lord and master of this forum.

If anyone has been trolling and acting like a jerk, it's you. Always talking about how many fancy cars you have in your garage and how $1100 falls out of your pocket every time you stumble and stub your toe. Also, I agree with @Rippey , posting a WAMC thread on sdn is much cheaper and saves a lot more time than just merely applying to schools.Furthermore, you are wrong. Not everyone's WAMC post is almost exactly the same. People have unique situations that needs to be addressed. Also, there aren't that many online resources addressing caribbean medical schools as you think. Most of these so called resources are extremely biased (school websites, sponsored forums etc) which makes these resources useless to potential students. Students need a place like SDN to receive honest useful feedback. In fact, one of the purposes of this forum is to address WAMC questions.

You know what's lazy? The fact that you are irritated and tired after reading so many WAMC posts so now you want to impose your will on everyone like a dictator and tell them that there can be no more WAMC posts from now on. Like @Rippey said, if you don't want to reply, don't. One of us will.

I don't get you Skip. You're apparently a super successful anesthesiologist making tons of money, how do you have time to post in this forum multiple times a day and pretend you're the king of the forum? Call me a troll, troublemaker, loser...whatever you want. I'm not ashamed of the fact that I'm standing up against your tyrannical ways. You think you're the only one who can get angry? If you think you're a great white shark, then I'm an orca. Don't try me.

The biggest anxiety is obviously applying and then getting rejected. Does this mean the door to that school is closed? Or if I reapply with a better MCAT score (I have ruled out increasing the GPA because it will set me back at least another 3 years) are my chances at getting accepted the same, worse or better as before the rejection? Very confused on the nuances of that hypothetical situation.

trolling? i'm stating my genuine feelings about IUHS and I suspect...

It gets old because they're not unique, 99% follow almost the exact same format and emphasize the wrong things. To me, that indicates an unacceptable lack of self-awareness regarding the application process for Caribbean schools that belies a misunderstanding of the unspoken agreement that they're entering into by applying to Caribbean schools in the first place. Applicants tie themselves in knots over things like shadowing experience, global medical relief work, or volunteering in clinics while they're standing there with a cGPA of 2.6 and a 21 MCAT. Caribbean schools don't care about extracurriculars, you just need to have some. They don't care about your LoR's, you just need to have some. They care about your likelihood of getting through the program in a reasonable time and with a reasonable chance of passing your Steps. They are for-profit schools. On top of that, Caribbean schools take a huuuuugely diverse range of students from an equally huge range of academic backgrounds. I'm an above average student, and I had group partners from Canada, India, and the US that absolutely ran circles around me academically. I also know a few people that didn't make it through the program because they had no business being there in the first place. With class sizes in the 800's, you're not going to be a special and unique snowflake.

Every one of these schools posts their incoming class statistics online. Applicants should be able to compare themselves to the averages and come to a reasonable idea of their chances. If you're >5 points below the MCAT average or >1 point below the GPA average you should probably be able to draw a reasonable conclusion from that data. These schools don't hand-hold, and once you set foot on the islands your education and success becomes solely your responsibility.

A finally, the main point that I wanted to make initially: what's the damn point in asking the question if it's not going to change your course of action? If we say your chances are bad, face it, most people are still going to apply anyway. And if we say your chances are good, you're going to apply. So what have you gained by asking? At best, a small bit of reassurance for an already anxiety-ridden decision, and at worst, false hope.

Reactions: 3 users
The biggest anxiety is obviously applying and then getting rejected. Does this mean the door to that school is closed? Or if I reapply with a better MCAT score (I have ruled out increasing the GPA because it will set me back at least another 3 years) are my chances at getting accepted the same, worse or better as before the rejection? Very confused on the nuances of that hypothetical situation.

Well, that's a different and more interesting question than 'what are my chances with xx MCAT and x.xx cGPA'. I hope it's obvious that having no previous rejections is best. Additionally, an outright rejection is (should be) relatively rare. SGU, for example, will usher people into the Foundations class (good idea for most students, but expensive) or try to get them to do a combined MPH/MD program (bad idea for most students, unless you want to practice public health in the Caribbean; also expensive). If your stats are so egregiously bad that they outright reject you, honestly you should have known that before applying and waited to apply when your stats were in a better place. Doing otherwise is just costing you time, money, and heartache. That being said, I don't think most of the Big 4 would hold a previous rejection against you outright in your application, assuming your MCAT score increased by more than just a point or two. Obviously going from a 19 to a 20 probably won't impress the admissions people much. If you're going to do this, though, for crying out loud take a couple practice MCATs before you retake the real one. Taking it 2 or 3 times and failing to improve will tank your chances pretty quick.

A finally, the main point that I wanted to make initially: what's the damn point in asking the question if it's not going to change your course of action?

This. X1000.

Don't worry, though. If you are actually lucky enough to make it into medical school, graduate, and end-up in residency, people with the tendency to do this will have it completely beaten out of them.

-Skip

I'm just going to be rude and ask. Do you even need an mcat or bachelors to make it into the Caribbean? I've heard not and that would scare me.

I also, found this place recently. Nice cautionary tale workup Skip.

Not to mention this is lazy. Lazy is probably how those asking this question ended-up on this forum in the first place. If you think you can be lazy and successfully navigate your way through the Caribbean, you're in for a huge surprise. (HINT: The lazy people that go to the Caribbean in the end never get to call themselves "doctor" either.)

-Skip

People need to stop believing their situations are unique, LOL!

I'm just going to be rude and ask. Do you even need an mcat or bachelors to make it into the Caribbean? I've heard not and that would scare me.

The more reputable schools require them, many do not. Rumors abound when it comes to Caribbean medical school, and not all Caribbean medical schools are created equal.

Yes you do for school like SGU, Ross, Saba, AUC, University of Puerto Rico, San Juan Bautista School of Medicine, Universidad Central Del Caribe, Ponce School of Medicine... The last 4 schools in that list are accredited by the LCME...

Yes you do for school like SGU, Ross, Saba, AUC, University of Puerto Rico, San Juan Bautista School of Medicine, Universidad Central Del Caribe, Ponce School of Medicine... The last 4 schools in that list are accredited by the LCME...

Uhh those Puerto Rico med schools you mentioned are technically US med schools.

The more reputable schools require them, many do not. Rumors abound when it comes to Caribbean medical school, and not all Caribbean medical schools are created equal.
Huh, maybe I should be nicer to caribbean schools. That said I don't plan on going this route, still interesting to read on.
Although, if I could just enter this say right out of highschool, I would be far more tempted.

Huh, maybe I should be nicer to caribbean schools. That said I don't plan on going this route, still interesting to read on.
Although, if I could just enter this say right out of highschool, I would be far more tempted.

Entering any medical school fresh out of high school is a terrible idea almost certainly doomed to failure. There is a large body of prerequisite basic science knowledge that is almost certainly not covered in a US high school science curriculum.

Uhh those Puerto Rico med schools you mentioned are technically US med schools.
I know, but OP wanted caribbean schools that require the MCAT so I figured out that I should include these schools since they are located in the caribbean.

Last edited:
Entering any medical school fresh out of high school is a terrible idea almost certainly doomed to failure. There is a large body of prerequisite basic science knowledge that is almost certainly not covered in a US high school science curriculum.
They usually teach you the prereqs in the first 2 years and that's how it is in other countries.

Last edited:
Due to my low GPA (I was working at the time I attended UCSD and was 18 when I was finishing up as a junior transfer student) I doubt I can make it to USMD and not interested in DO. I recently took the MCAT, studied several hours for 3 months, left my room only once a week to get dinner with my family or go to the Kaplan MCAT class...I am now waiting for the score. I feel like RossU and SGU are my only hope unless I do a post-bac, which will cost me 50k, take 2 years to complete by which time I would be 25 and could have finished my 2 years of MD at Ross.

Pretty sad that I have no choice but to attend a Carribbean but it's life. A lot of people say these negative things, how I wouldn't get a residency and how disgusting of a school it is and DO is better. I ****ed up my life and can't go back to UCSD and fix my GPA (3.3), which pretty much was a death sentence for me.

I am going to apply to Ross, hopefully I get in...if not, well....I wasted most of my life for a dream that will never come true.

If I do get into the Carribbean, I am just going to pour my heart and soul into the program and give it my best shot, even if it means I have to sacrifice everything and all I have.

Well, that's a different and more interesting question than 'what are my chances with xx MCAT and x.xx cGPA'. I hope it's obvious that having no previous rejections is best. Additionally, an outright rejection is (should be) relatively rare. SGU, for example, will usher people into the Foundations class (good idea for most students, but expensive) or try to get them to do a combined MPH/MD program (bad idea for most students, unless you want to practice public health in the Caribbean; also expensive). If your stats are so egregiously bad that they outright reject you, honestly you should have known that before applying and waited to apply when your stats were in a better place. Doing otherwise is just costing you time, money, and heartache. That being said, I don't think most of the Big 4 would hold a previous rejection against you outright in your application, assuming your MCAT score increased by more than just a point or two. Obviously going from a 19 to a 20 probably won't impress the admissions people much. If you're going to do this, though, for crying out loud take a couple practice MCATs before you retake the real one. Taking it 2 or 3 times and failing to improve will tank your chances pretty quick.

Thanks for your post, I am assuming you attended a Carribbean and completed the program?

Due to my low GPA (I was working at the time I attended UCSD and was 18 when I was finishing up as a junior transfer student) I doubt I can make it to USMD and not interested in DO. I recently took the MCAT, studied several hours for 3 months, left my room only once a week to get dinner with my family or go to the Kaplan MCAT class...I am now waiting for the score. I feel like RossU and SGU are my only hope unless I do a post-bac, which will cost me 50k, take 2 years to complete by which time I would be 25 and could have finished my 2 years of MD at Ross.

Pretty sad that I have no choice but to attend a Carribbean but it's life. A lot of people say these negative things, how I wouldn't get a residency and how disgusting of a school it is and DO is better. I ****ed up my life and can't go back to UCSD and fix my GPA (3.3), which pretty much was a death sentence for me.

I am going to apply to Ross, hopefully I get in...if not, well....I wasted most of my life for a dream that will never come true.

If I do get into the Carribbean, I am just going to pour my heart and soul into the program and give it my best shot, even if it means I have to sacrifice everything and all I have.

You absolutely have a choice. You can do grade replacement for DO schools. You don't have to do it at UCSD and can do it at a community college assuming that you are already a graduate. You'd be considered a nontraditional at that point. You think that you'll save two years by going Caribbean now, but the truth of it is that while you may start early, many Caribbean students take longer than 4 years to finish their school. Then add to that the risk of not matching and you are right where you were at if you took the time to make the best application possible and apply for a USDO spot.

You claim you aren't interested in DO, but in the end it gets you to the same place, especially with the merger that is going on. If you are stuck on the letters MD and want to go to the Caribbean over a DO school, thats your choice. You may be successful. You may get a residency spot. Rough numbers seem to be that at best about 50-60% of Caribbean students that start medical school will end up with a residency spot. Compare that to 95+% of DO students that start school ending up with a spot. Do you want to put hundreds of thousands of dollars in loans on the line for that bet? Only you can answer that question.

<snip> well....I wasted most of my life for a dream that will never come true.

You are only 23-years-old. I'm (literally) twice your age, started this much later than you after a career in another field, and I still feel like I have another nearly 20-25 years of practice ahead of me. Only now can I say that I'm in the absolute prime of my life.

I respect that you think that it will "cost" you to slow down and re-group. But, please: slow down and regroup. Caribbean medical education is an absolute last resort. Even at the so-called "best" schools.

-Skip

Reactions: 4 users
I'll answer it for you, in one response:

JUST APPLY!

But, if you need more info, maybe this will prevent you from starting another thread...

1) There is absolutely no reason that your specific situation is so unique that you need to have an additional thread for people to answer. Again, just apply to the program and find out. You have nothing to lose. But, apply to U.S. schools first. There is no reason not to go through the application process in the U.S. if you have a realistic shot there. If you don't have a realistic shot or you already applied and didn't get in, then keep reading.

2) Figure out where you stand with regards to the strength of your overall application. I posted a thread (click on this) that I feel is a pretty strong and realistic categorization of how strong you are as a U.S. applicant. It also helps to show you where you might fall in a Caribbean program. Read that thread too.

3) Generally speaking, you are probably going to get accepted to at least one of the more reputable Caribbean programs if you:
  • Have decent LORs (yes, you still need them)
  • Speak English fluently
  • Don't have any other major deficiencies (been arrested/convicted of a crime, caught cheating in school and/or otherwise dismissed from an undergrad program, etc.)
4) Even if you don't meet all the criteria in (3), you should still apply because we ultimately don't know what your chances are. Some people get special exceptions. Some people have something else that makes them shine. Some people will have flaws or deficiencies forgiven and overlooked by the admission's committee. Some people are stellar in other ways and can be accepted based on other intangible criteria. Again, we don't know what those criteria are. Just apply. What's stopping you? Why are you posting another "what are my chances" thread instead of reading the others? Seriously. Narcissism? Angst? Insecurity? Your situation is so different? It's not. Trust us.

I hope when new "what are my chances" threads are opened, people will point them to this thread instead of responding. There's no need to start a completely new conversation each time this question is asked, often with the redundant, repetitive, and misleading information that ensues.

JUST APPLY! And find out for yourself! Or, at the very least, do a search and read all those other threads first. I'm 99.9% sure your question will be answered if you do that. If not, feel free to come here and ask a specific question about your situation. NB: specific.

[/rant]

-Skip
Hello,
My undergrad cGPA is 2.84 and mcat score is 501. I am psychology major and neuroscience minor. my pre-med courses gpa is less but i did far better in my neuroscience and psychology classes (A+'s , A's and B's). In two health and nutrition cources I have A- average. I have A and B in english composition classes and A's in pre calculus and calculus.
I did more than 250 hours volunterring.
Please tell me my chances of acceptance in ROSS?

Hello,
My undergrad cGPA is 2.84 and mcat score is 501. I am psychology major and neuroscience minor. my pre-med courses gpa is less but i did far better in my neuroscience and psychology classes (A+'s , A's and B's). In two health and nutrition cources I have A- average. I have A and B in english composition classes and A's in pre calculus and calculus.
I did more than 250 hours volunterring.
Please tell me my chances of acceptance in ROSS?
Likely to be put in MERP