Before I do something that is COMPLETELY LEGAL in my locale...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

philosophicdoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to ask. Apologies if I sound like a sheltered pre-med child.

Do med schools drug test?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to ask. Apologies if I sound like a sheltered pre-med child.

Do med schools drug test?
Some do. (Or more accurately the hospitals those med schools have rotations in do). Some away rotations do even if your home school doesn't. A VA might. Most residencies and fellowships do. As mentioned, your STATE laws are pretty irrelevant in a career where you need a FEDERAL DEA number. It just means you won't go to jail in that state, not that it can't impact a career that involves federal oversight. So at the current time you don't get to toke if you want to be a doctor.

Reactions: 1 user
My school specifically said that our state doesn't care if you were in Colorado at the time and can prove it, if you test positive for anything not legal in our state, you are in trouble.

Many schools (like mine) have students working with patients in the hospital right away, so drug tests could happen within the first couple months of school

Oh, I thought were talking about medicinal cocaine

Reactions: 3 users
We gotta elect Gary Johnson. It's the only hope. Next time though, this time got ****ed.

You can get fired for smoking MJ, even if its somewhat legal in your area (though no where is it federally legal yet).

Almost all residencies require a drug test upon starting work. Some medical schools do too. They all have policies to some degree about ability to random drug test you.

One of the hospital volunteering positions I applied for required applicants to pass a tobacco test... So yeah. Doesn't matter if it's legal in your state or not.

upload_2016-8-7_23-37-29.png

Reactions: 1 user