Navy Before I sign the dotted line...Navy Reserves

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProwlerturnGas

A little under the radar
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am former Navy, was a GMO then now anesthesia, cleared most of the paperwork hurdles to join the Navy Reserves. My recruiter is a good guy, but not medical. He has been honest with me, at least as far as I can tell.
I haven't been affiliated with Navy for 10 years. What is like now? Specifically, what is the general climate like for medical officers in the reserves? Promotion rates, billets available? Deployments? Anything I should be asking for/looking for? Anyone happy with Reserve duty? Let me know thoughts.

Thanks in advance

PTG

Members don't see this ad.

Deployments have reduced. Most are CONUS back fills. The climate is extraordinarily command dependent. Most of your bosses are not MD. You generally are at their mercy. Promotion rates from 0-4 to 0-5 are ok. 0-3 to 0-4 was not (this last cycle only).

See what your unit is like. What's their flex-drill status? Who's is OIC ? What's the OIC pipeline for the next few years?

Happiness comes down to intent. Want to make money=not good idea. Want to be involved and help=good idea

Thanks for reply and your answers. I was told that I would not deploy for 2 years after initial affiliation. I am somewhat skeptical. Don't care really, but don't want a surprise.

was thinking of GMO billets (marine, flight, etc) as well as Anesthesia jobs. plus minus of either route?

Members don't see this ad :)
No frank experience in GMO stuff....I would just say that as the military is consolidating the reserve stuff is first to go. Second, some of that cooler GMO stuff is only in certain spots. Are you willing to travel? The two year thing is pretty standard and from what I have seen for the most part secure.

Thanks for reply and your answers. I was told that I would not deploy for 2 years after initial affiliation. I am somewhat skeptical. Don't care really, but don't want a surprise.

was thinking of GMO billets (marine, flight, etc) as well as Anesthesia jobs. plus minus of either route?

This is a policy IF you go straight from AD to reserves. I am researching this myself and I have seen a copy of the policy...although, I know never to believe anything.

I am former Navy, was a GMO then now anesthesia, cleared most of the paperwork hurdles to join the Navy Reserves. My recruiter is a good guy, but not medical. He has been honest with me, at least as far as I can tell.
I haven't been affiliated with Navy for 10 years. What is like now? Specifically, what is the general climate like for medical officers in the reserves? Promotion rates, billets available? Deployments? Anything I should be asking for/looking for? Anyone happy with Reserve duty? Let me know thoughts.

Thanks in advance

PTG

I am on my last few months of active duty. When I deployed I met a lot of reserve and national guard physicians and mid levels (CRNA). My roommate was reserve. I was interested as my service wanes down so I asked lots of questions.

They all uniformly seemed to like the reserve component (reserve or national guard). Not quite sure what you mean by billets? Most of these guys drilled or did their necessary monthly reserve duty at the nearest military installation to where they lived. None described it as onerous. They all generally described their supervisors as laid-back to aloof. Medical guys/gals (medical providers) are generally left to their own devices. There was an 06 reserve spine surgeon. He says that his 05 and 06 promotions were surprises to him as he did not do anything outside of the requisite minimums (drills), though he deployed regularly every 3 years since 2003 (by choice). Most of the guys I met (including my roommate) stated that they deployed every 2-3 years. This gets them the points towards retirement. The more time one has on active duty, the more points they have. So some keep the deployment cycle every 2-3 years. They also do this to try to have a choice in where they go.

Thanks for all of your replies! Apparently, the reserves have billets too. You take a job for 2-3 years and then move on. Some require travel to reserve center, such as a reserve Flight Surgeon. The green side also has billets open, but require travel as well. The local marine reserve center does not have a Medical Officer billet open. I have been told that I must take a billet. If anyone knows differently, let me know. I do know about Flex drilling, but at O-5, I will need a specific job, or so I understand. Anyone know about FMF Medical Battalion? Reserves seems to work differently, plus I have been 10+ years from AD, so maybe I don't remember correctly?

PTG

Thanks for all of your replies! Apparently, the reserves have billets too. You take a job for 2-3 years and then move on. Some require travel to reserve center, such as a reserve Flight Surgeon. The green side also has billets open, but require travel as well. The local marine reserve center does not have a Medical Officer billet open. I have been told that I must take a billet. If anyone knows differently, let me know. I do know about Flex drilling, but at O-5, I will need a specific job, or so I understand. Anyone know about FMF Medical Battalion? Reserves seems to work differently, plus I have been 10+ years from AD, so maybe I don't remember correctly?

PTG

Been drilling since 1992, and retire end of FY-16. Been around the reserve block a few times, and in general have had a blast. Not that the USNR isn't without some bureaucracy, but in general the fun and positive attributes far outweigh the aggravation titer. In the USNR, *all* officers (1xxx, 2xxx, etc) above LCDR must compete every 2-3 years for a paid reserve billet. LCDRs and below are all in paid billets and generally drill where they want, unless they volunteered for a specific leadership role with a prescribed drill site.

Generally almost all 21xx CDRs and above get a paid billet. NC and MSC are much much more competitive. There are lots of CDR and above NC and MSC officers drilling for retirement points only (which will make the pension bigger). If you don't get a paid billet, then you wind up in the Volunteer Training Unit, and drill just for nonpaid retirement points at a reserve center of your choosing. You then recompete on the next year's board to get out of VTU and into a paid billet. If you get a paid billet (and almost all 21xx above LCDR are in a paid billet) the following apply:

1. The paid billets for which you're considered are chosen from a dreamsheet you voluntarily complete. I think you can indicate up to 35 billets for the board to consider for you. You also indicate the drill site travel distance you're OK with, up to world-wide. I've known people living on the west coast who drill monthly in Hawaii or Guam, east coast people drilling in Germany, Floridians drilling at Bremerton, New Englanders drilling at San Diego, etc ... all per their voluntary dreamsheet. Similarly I've known people who indicate a drill site travel willingness of only, say, 200 miles, and they found themselves drilling just for unpaid retirement points. The billets coming open in a given FY are advertised on the USNR website.

2. Non-leadership clinical billets usually allow you to drill at any reserve center you wish (except for billets on the green side). Drill weekend is usually filled with doing PHAs in the reserve center's "clinic," taking care of all reservists assigned there. All paperwork with no hands-on, except for HMs doing blood draws, and dentists doing examinations (no restorative work). Orders to a paid clinical billet are 3 years.

3. Leadership billets usually dictate a specific drill site (which you know about when you complete your dreamsheet). Your travel expenses are not reimbursed, but you can take them off your taxes. USNR policy provides free lodging if you live more than 5o miles from your assigned drill site. Orders to a paid leadership billet are 2 years.

4. Green side billets are available for your dreamsheet. Those all dictate drilling at a specific green side site, regardless of being in clinical or non-clinical leadership role. I was green side for several years and served as a 4th Med BN surgical company XO. Lots of USMCR "admin" work in addition to the USNR stuff, but still had fun. The green side component of USNR medicine is known as "program 9." I must plead ignorance about the reserve side of NAVAIR, but I can hook you up with the reserve RADM who used to head it. There are also a few 21xx paid billets assigned to the reserve SeaBees, but I know essentially nothing more about them.

5. Flex drilling is easy to do if you're in a non-leadership clinical billet, but requires your drilling unit OIC's rubberstamp approval before hand. Key: you must submit and get approval for flexdrilling prior to the scheduled drill dates which you're flexdrilling. The flexdrill can take place after the regular drill weekend dates funding the flexdrill, but approval must be obtained prior to the regular drill weekend funding the flexdrill. Please burn that into your brain. Otherwise the reserve center CO (who is always a line officer and who is the ultimate approval authority of flexdrilling) will deny it. You can flexdrill on alternate dates at your reserve center doing paperwork, GMTs, Navy admin work, etc,, or you can do it at any federal MTF doing hands-on clinical work, recertifying on ACLS, PALS, etc. I occasionally flexdrill at my local VA if drill weekend falls on inconvenient dates. The VA loves it because I'm free additional manpower being paid by the Navy. Flexdrilling will be much bigger challenge if you're in a sought-after leadership role, generally because you're needed to drill at the HQ site (at the specified drill location) each drill weekend.

6. The technical term for Navy reserve centers is Navy Operational Support Center, NOSC.

Best wishes on your decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
PS. To answer a few of your other questions:

1. Deployments: current generic USNR policy says you can expect to be mob'ed up to 1 year out of every 5. Not saying that you will be mob'ed, but the general policy is expect to potentially get tabbed for up 1 year long every 5th year. MC is usually shown more deference, and gets mob'ed for 90 days max out of consideration to maintain a private civilian practice.

2. Promo rates: in general you'll make CDR just for having a pulse especially if you're in a wartime-critical specialty, unless you've fallen on your sword previously. Making CAPT is a hurdle for all corps, and has nothing to do with being a proficient clinician. To make CAPT, you must excel as a LCDR and CDR performing leadership duties which take up an inordinate amount of your unpaid time in-between drill weekends. Things like drill unit Training Officer, OIC, green side XO or CO, SME/DMS at reserve HQ level (one per each NavHosp), etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Monty Python, thank you very much for your time and detailed response. Greatly appreciate! Answered my questions and some I didn't know to ask! I will email CAPT Eagleton. Thanks again

Attached for your reading pleasure is the USNR Personnel Manual. If nothing else, I thought you might want to read about the healthcare officer incentive programs (para 1100-040).

Attachments

• RESPERS 1001.5.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Did you complete joining the reserves?

I'm very much in the same situation as you describe, former flight surgeon., now civilian attending anesthesiologist.

I'm in final processs of completing my application package and could benefit from your experience.

Hi EVDoc. It sounds like I am exactly where you are in the process. I wrote my initial post in January, I am still awaiting my final package approval.

Hi EVDoc. It sounds like I am exactly where you are in the process. I wrote my initial post in January, I am still awaiting my final package approval.

That's a long time! I've completed my package and it's supposed to go to the August board. The process has only taken about two months.

Do you know if it's possible to lock in a billet before signing? Ideally, I'd like to flex drill in a Naval Hospital or a billet supporting the Marines. If they stashed me in a local reserve unit doing admin one weekend a month, I'd die.

When/Where was your prior service?

That's a long time! I've completed my package and it's supposed to go to the August board. The process has only taken about two months.

Do you know if it's possible to lock in a billet before signing? Ideally, I'd like to flex drill in a Naval Hospital or a billet supporting the Marines. If they stashed me in a local reserve unit doing admin one weekend a month, I'd die.

When/Where was your prior service?

Couple things delayed me....the biggest one was I had asked for O-5 upon entering. I left the service as an O-4, so I required sign off apparently up to the Chief of Naval Personnel. The second was someone at BUPERS left on TAD and didn't work on package for a few months. I have a verbal on a program 9 billet, but nothing for sure as of yet. I wanted a flight surgeon billet, but nothing reasonably close to me. Maybe once i've had some time in again.

Can "ask" for rank? My recruiter is telling me that they counted up all my time and they will offer me O4 based on a formula. I left as an O3 and made O4 in the non-drilling IRR. Kinda sucks as I feel like I'm going to be the oldest O4 in the navy. They said I'd be up for O5 in the first year though.

They counted 4 years for med school, 4 years PGY, 4 nears prior service and 3 years (max they give) for practice experience.

Care to share your research on how to find reserve flight surgeon billets? I'm in the SF Bay area and could potentially make it to Nevada or SoCal if Flex drill is an option.

Can "ask" for rank? My recruiter is telling me that they counted up all my time and they will offer me O4 based on a formula. I left as an O3 and made O4 in the non-drilling IRR. Kinda sucks as I feel like I'm going to be the oldest O4 in the navy. They said I'd be up for O5 in the first year though.

They counted 4 years for med school, 4 years PGY, 4 nears prior service and 3 years (max they give) for practice experience.

Care to share your research on how to find reserve flight surgeon billets? I'm in the SF Bay area and could potentially make it to Nevada or SoCal if Flex drill is an option.

Yes, hence the waiver for O-5 and the delay. The last I saw, there was a reserve FS billet available with 4th MAW in San Diego.

PM me. We should talk !

Hey everyone, not sure if this thread is still alive but wanted to get some perspective.

I am prior service, did 4 years in the Marines about 10 years ago, but got out to go to college. Long story short, ended up in orthopedic surgery and am now a PGY-1. I was considering going into the reserves as a way to keep giving back to my country and wanted to get back in the military side of things. However, I have heard stories that joining the reserves as an orthopod is practically suicide for private practice if you get activated.

What is the activation tempo like outside of the one weekend a month an two weeks a year?