Begging for interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

microshar88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, at this point, it seems that a lot of spots have been taken. my COMLEX PE fail made things difficult to get a lot of interviews that I would have gotten right away. There are certain programs that have told me i'm waitlisted for an interview after calling (but don't keep my hopes up). I was wondering if I write a letter proclaiming my interest to the PD, is there a possibility that maybe they may consider doing a phone/skype interview with me? That way they won't have to waste time getting any faculty involved and they can see me just to assess my interest and personality.

I think I sent my passing retake PE to everyone but it didn't do much. I'm just hoping I can help undo some of the damage.

My friends have told me that's a pathetic waste of time and I will be disqualified for bothering the PD. However, I thought that maybe it might show some interest?

Any thoughts? pls share! thanks

Members don't see this ad.

please don't do yourself a disservice by couching this as "begging". Do not come across as desperate (even if you are). It is perfectly reasonable to contact programs you are interested in to affirm just how interested you are in their program and reminding them of some of the things you have going for you. They probably don't know that your pass score is in (the transcript updates itself on ERAS but they are probably not downloading applications at this point). Sure it is very late, but you have absolutely nothing to lose by doing and might even gain.

DO NOT ask for a skype/telephone interview as this will come across badly, and might be interpreted as disinterest.

Send a no more than 200 word emial to the PD of some of the programs you are most interested in and haven't heard from 1) casually mentioning you have now passed COMLEX PE 2) mentioning some specific reasons you are very interested in the program and 3) mentioning briefly some specific strengths or attributes you have

Calling or even turning up in person might also be more proactive ways of doing so. Sure it borders on stalkery, but in other fields people do this sort of thing and it works, and I can tell you that I know people who have got interviews for residency by just turning up and asking! I also got interviews from places late in the game by getting in touch with programs and in fact initially got rejected for interview by the program I am not at.

please don't do yourself a disservice by couching this as "begging". Do not come across as desperate (even if you are). It is perfectly reasonable to contact programs you are interested in to affirm just how interested you are in their program and reminding them of some of the things you have going for you. They probably don't know that your pass score is in (the transcript updates itself on ERAS but they are probably not downloading applications at this point). Sure it is very late, but you have absolutely nothing to lose by doing and might even gain.

DO NOT ask for a skype/telephone interview as this will come across badly, and might be interpreted as disinterest.

Send a no more than 200 word emial to the PD of some of the programs you are most interested in and haven't heard from 1) casually mentioning you have now passed COMLEX PE 2) mentioning some specific reasons you are very interested in the program and 3) mentioning briefly some specific strengths or attributes you have

Calling or even turning up in person might also be more proactive ways of doing so. Sure it borders on stalkery, but in other fields people do this sort of thing and it works, and I can tell you that I know people who have got interviews for residency by just turning up and asking! I also got interviews from places late in the game by getting in touch with programs and in fact initially got rejected for interview by the program I am not at.

As the recipient of (too many of) these inquiries, I agree with the above. (Well, except the "just show up" part...)

A couple of pointers: 1) Asking for a skype/telephone interview is really a request for special treatment. I realize that in your OP you couch it as "saving time and effort", but it really isn't. In addition, most programs approach the interviews as opportunities to get as many sets of eyes on applicants as possible, as well as selling their program--so you're kind of asking us to suspend our normal routine for you in the absence of a major medical or family emergency. As PD I am not an autocrat and do not dispense favors by decree--so I'm really not likely to be bypassing my committee on a whim.
2) As splik says, keep it short and specific. If you really feel that you need to be at our program, why is that? Is there a tie to our region that doesn't appear on your application for some reason? (I really have had several good applicants who have gone to high school locally and have essentially their entire family here--and there's nothing on ERAS to show that, and no way to search for it either!) Is one of our alumni your attending advisor and talking us up (though if that's the case, you should have them do the requesting on your behalf!) I'm always a little stunned when I get an email informing me that we are someone's "top choice" before they've even met us. I mean, I like our website, and we've put a lot of effort into getting it up to date, but really? Do you buy a car off of cars.com without driving it, too?
3) Finally, I've said this before, but look at that email before you hit send! Is the formatting consistent? Is my name misspelled? I could show you some extremely embarrassing efforts. I mean, if you can't properly copy/paste a simple email, how will you manage our EMR? :eyebrow:

Good luck. And I do mean luck, because there's a certain amount of randomness in this process as well. Right now we have about a hundred very similar-looking apps in that wait-list bucket, and maybe a half dozen openings or potential cancellations coming. May your email be the one that hits the coordinator's inbox when that next cancellation comes through!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Knocking on a PD’s door and asking to talk about the program without an appointment would be viewed as over the top pushy by me. Another irritating approach is to have multiple outside physicians call us repeatedly. Once maybe twice, OK, but I had one call our hospital and obtain my pager number by deceit claiming that it was a patient care matter and then I was paged while driving on the freeway. I was bothered enough to make some calls about how my pager number was given out.
My point is, if you decide to advocate for yourself, do it briefly and do it personally. There is a tipping point where if you have been given a clear “no”, not taking no for an answer will push this into a “no way”. I get that there may be “nothing to lose” by trying, but don’t keep fishing for a third “what part of no is confusing for you”.
This is different if you are wait listed and then obtain other interviews in the same city and you call us just to see if you can keep your costs reasonable with some coordination. I’m just venting about having to structure multiple advocates to stop calling well after we have communicated an unequivocal and final “no” both by ERAS and e-mail. Please understand that most programs get about 5 times the number of applications we can possibly interview. Getting an interview is the exception. No program decides to interview X number of applicants and then changes to “we are going to interview these X number plus the ones that beg the most”. Parenting and program directing seems to have an infinite number of parallels.

Reactions: 1 users
Also, microshar, there is the possibility that the programs you are reaching out to now, you may be reapplying to next year. So taking care to not get a reputation as being pushy or rude is important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knocking on a PD’s door and asking to talk about the program without an appointment would be viewed as over the top pushy by me. Another irritating approach is to have multiple outside physicians call us repeatedly. Once maybe twice, OK, but I had one call our hospital and obtain my pager number by deceit claiming that it was a patient care matter and then I was paged while driving on the freeway. I was bothered enough to make some calls about how my pager number was given out.
My point is, if you decide to advocate for yourself, do it briefly and do it personally. There is a tipping point where if you have been given a clear “no”, not taking no for an answer will push this into a “no way”. I get that there may be “nothing to lose” by trying, but don’t keep fishing for a third “what part of no is confusing for you”.
This is different if you are wait listed and then obtain other interviews in the same city and you call us just to see if you can keep your costs reasonable with some coordination. I’m just venting about having to structure multiple advocates to stop calling well after we have communicated an unequivocal and final “no” both by ERAS and e-mail. Please understand that most programs get about 5 times the number of applications we can possibly interview. Getting an interview is the exception. No program decides to interview X number of applicants and then changes to “we are going to interview these X number plus the ones that beg the most”. Parenting and program directing seems to have an infinite number of parallels.

That is so funny you mention having a physician call for you. Be careful if you do this and you trust the physician. One of my friends had a preceptor call for her and the preceptor was so pushy that I think it backfired. I hope it was only for one physician.

Honestly, I think you should just call yourself. a sincere voice is always heard.

Thanks guys for the wonderful advice. I had sustained a bad head injury during the holidays so I wasn't able to respond quickly but I did receive 2 invitations off the waitlist. My question is, when i rank the programs, should I take into account that I got these invitations off waitlist, and not outright? Meaning, I wasn't one of their first choices as I was with another program for instance.

Regardless, I plan on ranking where I want to be geographically as I just don't think I can bear another move right now.

Last edited:
when i rank the programs, should I take into account that I got these rotations off waitlist, and not outright?
No. The match system is designed so that there is no way for you to 'beat the system.' That is, whatever ranking the programs are in your head (i.e. the real ranking of how much you want to be at each program), that should be the rank list you submit as you can't get any place higher on that list by submitting a differently ordered list.

If that's too confusingly worded, then just rank the programs by how much you want to be at each one. No games. They don't help you one bit.

No. The match system is designed so that there is no way for you to 'beat the system.' That is, whatever ranking the programs are in your head (i.e. the real ranking of how much you want to be at each program), that should be the rank list you submit as you can't get any place higher on that list by submitting a differently ordered list.

If that's too confusingly worded, then just rank the programs by how much you want to be at each one. No games. They don't help you one bit.

Sorry I edited my origianl post above.but i get what u mean, it doesn't matter if I got the invites off of a waitlist, my chances of getting ranked are just as good as someone who got them in the first batch of invites.

As a program we are going to follow the same advice we give you: Rank 'em in the order you want them.
And if you'd rather scramble than match them, leave them off your list.

(To directly answer you--you might be a little less desirable on paper than the first wave, but if they're inviting you you will probably on their list somewhere, unless you interview absolutely abysmally.)

As a program we are going to follow the same advice we give you: Rank 'em in the order you want them.
And if you'd rather scramble than match them, leave them off your list.

(To directly answer you--you might be a little less desirable on paper than the first wave, but if they're inviting you you will probably on their list somewhere, unless you interview absolutely abysmally.)

Thanks, that is good to know. I'm going to go and rank them and hope for the best! :)

Well, at this point, it seems that a lot of spots have been taken. my COMLEX PE fail made things difficult to get a lot of interviews that I would have gotten right away. There are certain programs that have told me i'm waitlisted for an interview after calling (but don't keep my hopes up). I was wondering if I write a letter proclaiming my interest to the PD, is there a possibility that maybe they may consider doing a phone/skype interview with me? That way they won't have to waste time getting any faculty involved and they can see me just to assess my interest and personality.

I think I sent my passing retake PE to everyone but it didn't do much. I'm just hoping I can help undo some of the damage.

My friends have told me that's a pathetic waste of time and I will be disqualified for bothering the PD. However, I thought that maybe it might show some interest?

Any thoughts? pls share! thanks
My Step 2CS result came in December, so I emailed my top-choice program to let them know and ask if that could help me get an interview. After a couple of emails back and forth, I got an interview invitation, ranked them #1, and matched there.
My situation is a bit different from yours because it was earlier on and I had never actually failed (the only reason it mattered was because I'm an IMG), but it's worth a shot.
But yeah, don't come across as begging and don't mention anything about phone/skype.

thanks guys. i have quite a few people asking me to schedule but the issue now is that some of them are at the end (since they did not schedule any during the holiday break) and i can only attend one since they are both at the same day. this is a great position (kinda) to be in. i'm also in a weird predicament because i am doing a rotation that is based on shifts and i am with another student (who is done with her interviews), so im thinking about just taking a leave of absence from school so i can attend some of these. i wish more programs would offer dates in february.