Beginning to Narrowing Down PA Schools... Am I Hasty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chelle1122

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated with and Exercise Science degree May 2013 with a 3.94 GPA. My GRE scores are Verbal: 157, Quant: 153, Analyt: 4.5; these seem mid-range from what I've seen for PA program averages. I am going to earn HCE through my new EMT cert. I still need anywhere from 3-5+ prereqs before I am qualified for most schools.

There are 180+ ARC-PA programs in the U.S. I want to start narrowing them down. With the info I shared above, is it a hasty move for me to begin eliminating programs simply because they require 5+ prereqs that I don't already have? I feel like there HAVE to be good programs for which I only need 3 more classes and will be able to get into. I'm looking for this in the spirit of saving money and being able to apply sooner.

Members don't see this ad.

Not hasty at all. You need to be realistic about which prereqs you can complete and do well grade-wise in a specified time frame. Also consider which prereqs will benefit you most and what you can realistically afford. Finally, make your list geographically reasonable. No point in spending money to apply to places you'd rather not go.

Reactions: 1 users
To tie this in with your other thread... With your gpa, you are in really good shape academically to get in somewhere. Grades, grades, grades. That's turning out to be the ultimate factor to getting into PA school. That's the stumbling block for most folks. The people with the good grades have the easiest time getting in. Everything else is secondary, even hce.

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user