Behavioral Science Shelf help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aflycted

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started my one month "Behavioral Science" class. I have no clue how to study for this exam whatsoever. All he told us is that we're taking the national shelf exam. I'm still unsure if this is the same thing as the Psychiatry shelf (though I don't think it is, because that's a required core next year).

And one specific question, just looking at my BRS book, do I need to know statistics other than like most common cause of? The first line is "about 4 million children are born each year in the United States." Is this stuff I'm expected to know for the shelf? I've never taken a shelf before so this is a bit overwhelming.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Don't lose site of the forest for the trees. Reading that same line in BRS, what I took away was that 1/4 of births are cesarean section. The next line continues the same thought stating that women are forgoing cesarean section because of unnecessary surgical procedures.

The whole point of the introductory section was to introduce you to postpartum depression. The rest of the chapter covers childhood development.

Again, don't lose site of the forest for the trees :)

As for talking the shelf exam, that's just weird; ask for clarification.

I just started my one month "Behavioral Science" class. I have no clue how to study for this exam whatsoever. All he told us is that we're taking the national shelf exam. I'm still unsure if this is the same thing as the Psychiatry shelf (though I don't think it is, because that's a required core next year.
No it is not the same thing as psychiatry shelf. Psychiatry shelf is a test of *clinical science* i.e. diagnosis and management of psychiatric disorders. For clinical sciences, typical shelf questions are along the lines of "What's the next best step?" i.e. what would you do if you had an actual patient in front of you. You won't see this kind of question on basic science shelves.

BRS covers the contents of behavioral sciences really well, but, just as SMGraff said, don't get bogged down by all the details, try to understand the underlying principles rather than exact numbers.