behavioral

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrooklynDO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
can anyone explain this to me :
so a woman is afraid to go outside her house after a car accident a year ago which left her with a scar on her face...
qbank says this is agoraphobia and not social phobia...im a bit confused
anyone?
:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Social phobia I believe is just fear of performing certain acts in public cuz of fear of embarrassment?(stuff u can normally do in private)..

You have to decide whether it is a social concern or a fear of the accident recurring. Social phoia has to do with social interaction and this looks to be more fear of being injured again.

Idiopathic said:
You have to decide whether it is a social concern or a fear of the accident recurring. Social phoia has to do with social interaction and this looks to be more fear of being injured again.

I initially ruled out agoraphobia because its not like she was afraid to go to the park, she was afraid to go out in public because of her scar, which i assumed was a fear of being looked at, embarrased etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
BrooklynDO said:
can anyone explain this to me :
so a woman is afraid to go outside her house after a car accident a year ago which left her with a scar on her face...
qbank says this is agoraphobia and not social phobia...im a bit confused
anyone?
:confused:

dude i can't believe that they say that you should call this agoraphobia! It's like, what's the emphasis--
1. afraid to go outside of house (ok, i can see fear of open spaces)
2. car accident a year ago (post traumatic stress??)
3. scar on face (uh maybe PSTD again or jeez i don't know, body dysmorphic..)

They're high.

ok, this is the way it seems to me (basically i'm just parroting the stuff our kaplan instructor said)

panic disorder, agoraphobia and social phobia can be pretty similar--in all 3 situations you have people who are refusing to leave their houses. but:
panic disorder--the person is afraid of the actual trip...so if say the party was at their house and they didn't have to go anywhere they would do fine. also i think they don't have a fear of walking outside, just driving, flying, etc.

agoraphobia is a fear that you're not safe outside your home. this is what this woman seems to experience--it's not that she's afraid that everyone will criticize her because of her scar, she's afraid that something bad will happen to her when she leaves the house. so she doesn't leave it at all.

and social phobia is just fear of being in social situations. people with social phobia aren't all that afraid to go outside or take a trip in a car, they're afraid of attending social events or going somewhere where there are lots of strangers who might criticize them. so they're totally fine driving/walking around...they might go out and do their grocery shopping late at night, when there aren't that many people on the street.