Being a foreigner!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wonder if I could make it in a place like that without ending up standing under a tree and my feet not touching the ground.
They don't do that anymore... at least not frequently :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For the past 9 years I have been on this forum and I interacted with many people... I learned from many people and I hope I taught some people but it was overall an amazing experience...
During that same time, actually for the past 14 years I was in a private practice setting that was relatively stable (or so I thought)... until about a year a go when the hospital decided that we were too expensive and decided to give our contract to an AMC that agreed to do the same job with zero money subsidy!
Since that time things have changed and although the AMC did not fire me I now work twice as much for much less money.
I said to myself... it's life... the world has changed and you have to adapt.
But... that's not the end of the story... recently I realized that I am too experienced and too popular with the surgeons and other staff for the AMC to be comfortable... I realized that they are building a file against me and it's a matter of time before they eliminate me!
So... I said OK... let's take a short cut and just leave!
The surprise was... being a foreign graduate has now become a determining factor and many places would not even talk to you if your medical school was not in this country!
They don't tell you that ... but it is very obvious!
I am a very good anesthesiologist... I have excellent skills... but... I was not born here!
Is that a fatal mistake?
Does that shock anyone?
Let's discuss it!
I agree with others that this isn't a matter of being foreign but a reflection of the market. Groups want people they can control. AMC's, academics, PP all have become predatory. Being very accomplished does not read as someone that will be easy to control. It's truly depressing what this field has become. They want desperate before hungry.

You guys hear of a high paying job in the rural south let me know. I prefer the Deep South.

Really rural is just fine

On call 24/7. Contract is One MD covering 4 CRNAs. Hint: It's in rural North Carolina. Hospital gives MD a crazy $900K guarantee, pays CRNA out of hospital account. The MD than takes 12 weeks off, give one of my pain friends $180K to cover his 12 weeks. So he's pocketing over $720K working 40 weeks out of the year.

I say this because FOAA/NAPA has (or had) some type of rural Florida position posted for like $350-400K with 24/7 call and like 8 weeks off. This is how much money is being shaved off the top by management companies. So to someone who doesn't understand how much the contracts are worth. $350-400K with 8 weeks off sounds pretty good.

Until you see how guy in North Carolina making $720K with 12 weeks off and no one shaving money off the top. I don't know the exact amount the Florida contract is worth, but considering it's rural, there is a lot of federal government money funding that hospital to divide up the money even to the anesthesia department.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know of a similar situation....hospital in rural Illinois with lots of federal funding that pays their CRNAs $285k/yr. Rotating out of house call and 7 weeks vacation. God only knows what the anesthesiologist makes.....

I agree with others that this isn't a matter of being foreign but a reflection of the market. Groups want people they can control. AMC's, academics, PP all have become predatory. Being very accomplished does not read as someone that will be easy to control. It's truly depressing what this field has become. They want desperate before hungry.

Half agree. From the employer's perspective, being accomplished and good at your job is not a problem. It is a good thing. Wanting to leverage it for your benefit is the problem.

Guys.. this is a divisive subject and this is why I brought it up... I have to say though that as a foreign born citizen of this country there is no other place on earth where I would rather be... this is not BS ... this is really how I feel and how the overwhelming majority of "foreigners" in this country feel.

I
Half agree. From the employer's perspective, being accomplished and good at your job is not a problem. It is a good thing. Wanting to leverage it for your benefit is the problem.
I suppose I could see how an accomplished attending might expect something more than a new grad and a group may say "why should we if we don't have to?" It's a reflection of a saturated market as fallout from all the available "providers".

Guys.. this is a divisive subject and this is why I brought it up... I have to say though that as a foreign born citizen of this country there is no other place on earth where I would rather be... this is not BS ... this is really how I feel and how the overwhelming majority of "foreigners" in this country feel.

The USA is one of the most tolerant societies in the world today. The problem is that human beings are instinctively tribal. Discrimination is forbidden in our institutions by law. It still exists in many of our hearts.

Happy Passover to all currently and previously oppressed.

I

I suppose I could see how an accomplished attending might expect something more than a new grad and a group may say "why should we if we don't have to?" It's a reflection of a saturated market as fallout from all the available "providers".
Isn't the new grad going to be an "accomplished" attending at some point?
Would that new grad who is now an "accomplished attending" accept to be just as good as a new grad in the eyes of management???

The USA is one of the most tolerant societies in the world today. The problem is that human beings are instinctively tribal. Discrimination is forbidden in our institutions by law. It still exists in many of our hearts.

Happy Passover to all currently and previously oppressed.
Happy Passover Doze!

I never got a sense of that. Maybe some super-snooty group. But I've always treated every foreign-trained doctor with the utmost respect. Their pathway was much harder than mine. And I've learned a lot from a lot of them.

But I have my own type of oppression. I've felt it when the CRNA thinks they know as much as I do about delivering a clinically safe and slick anesthetic, doesn't seek or want my input or advice on a case, and basically works deliberately to remove me from the equation at the institutional, state, and national levels.

Plank... you ever talk to Millitary MD outside of this forum? He's well connected in the Panhandle. Back when I was looking for a job he gave me a few names in that area. He doesn't frequent here anymore, but if you had a way to get ahold of him, he might be able to help. Just a thought. Cheers.

Plank... you ever talk to Millitary MD outside of this forum? He's well connected in the Panhandle. Back when I was looking for a job he gave me a few names in that area. He doesn't frequent here anymore, but if you had a way to get ahold of him, he might be able to help. Just a thought. Cheers.

Hey Sevo, do you see jobs like those described above existing 5-10 years from now?

sorry to hear about your situation, plank. hope you find a good gig soon.