Being a pharmacist a really hard job and stressing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davito

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I wanted to know if there is people out there that have had the opportunity to shadow a pharmacist, or if you work as pharmacist now can you help me clarify this please.

I wanted to know if the field of pharmacy is a hard and stressing job. I have heard from the majority of the people that pharmacy school is extremely hard, but what about being a pharmacist? Do you stress too much? Do you constantly have to study every day for new drug or other info? Do you continuously have to deal with doctor and insurance issues? Do you get into a lot of complaints or fight with customers?
One of my friends that is a pharmacist technician told me that he do 99% of the job. He said pharmacists don’t do anything and they just supervise and check the drug if it is the correct one. If it is like my friends describe it why pharmacy school is so hard then?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You should probably get in to a pharmacy and experience it yourself. Yes it can be really stressful. Some days I leave the pharmacy feeling good but other times I have left pissed off. lol It depend on the person but yes it is stressful. And no techs don't do all the work. They usually do most of the filling and such but your friend over played this a little bit. Many times the pharmacists I work with don't get time to eat lunch.

Hi all, I wanted to know if there is people out there that have had the opportunity to shadow a pharmacist, or if you work as pharmacist now can you help me clarify this please.

I wanted to know if the field of pharmacy is a hard and stressing job. I have heard from the majority of the people that pharmacy school is extremely hard, but what about being a pharmacist? Do you stress too much? Do you constantly have to study every day for new drug or other info? Do you continuously have to deal with doctor and insurance issues? Do you get into a lot of complaints or fight with customers?
One of my friends that is a pharmacist technician told me that he do 99% of the job. He said pharmacists don’t do anything and they just supervise and check the drug if it is the correct one. If it is like my friends describe it why pharmacy school is so hard then?

Thanks!

Standing up most of the time is probably the only thing that pisses me off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on where you work at. If there is a drive thru then YES ITS STRESSFUL.

Hi. I'm no pharmacist, but my microbiology teacher was at one time - he said he absolutely HATED it with a passion. He only spent 1 year as a pharmacist. After quiting, he went to med school for a 1.5 years. Yeah, he hated that with a passion too. :laugh: While in med school he taught biology at a local college on the weekends and that's where the love for teaching was discovered. If I can catch him one day after class, I'd like to ask him what made him hate pharmacy so much.

Hi. I'm no pharmacist, but my microbiology teacher was at one time - he said he absolutely HATED it with a passion. He only spent 1 year as a pharmacist. After quiting, he went to med school for a 1.5 years. Yeah, he hated that with a passion too. :laugh: While in med school he taught biology at a local college on the weekends and that's where the love for teaching was discovered. If I can catch him one day after class, I'd like to ask him what made him hate pharmacy so much.

1) Drive thru
2) Dealing with idiots.

1) Drive thru
2) Dealing with idiots.

if you can call patients you will be helping in the future idiots, you definitely lack the compassion needed to be a healthcare professional. now, i know there are some who may give you a hard time, but that's no reason to play the holier than thou card and look down on people. Coming from someone that is clearly in it for the money and couldn't hack it in dental school, hence the title --> dental school dropout (nomatter how you try to sugarcoat your reason for leaving the program), i guess that makes sense!! now you're trying another route to try to make "easy money". this is easily seen in all your posts regarding how much money pharmacists make. shame on you and those like you! :thumbdown:

Jaja, I am scare this probably will happend to me. I think teaching is a lot more exiting than pharmacy. Most of the people that get into pharmacy is because it a well secure job on demand and also because it give status, other than that is not that fun.

Last edited:
if you can call patients you will be helping in the future idiots, you definitely lack the compassion needed to be a healthcare professional. now, i know there are some who may give you a hard time, but that's no reason to play the holier than thou card and look down on people. Coming from someone that is clearly in it for the money and couldn't hack it in dental school, hence the title --> dental school dropout (nomatter how you try to sugarcoat your reason for leaving the program), i guess that makes sense!! now you're trying another route to try to make "easy money". this is easily seen in all your posts regarding how much money pharmacists make. shame on you and those like you! :thumbdown:

:rolleyes:

Jaja, I am scare this probably will happend to me. I think teaching is a lot more exiting than pharmacy. Most of the people that get into pharmacy is because it a well secure job on demand and also because it give status, other than that is not that fun.

Please tell me you have no plans to go into pharmacy. I see that you're pre-dental? Stay pre-dental.

I'm looking forward to starting pharmacy school in the fall and being a pharmacist. The good pay is helping me calm my scary thoughts of taking out all the loans. I do think being a pharmacist is a good job, but more importantly, that it's a good job for me and my personality.

If you go into any job just because of the money, status, or the fact it's a stable job, you will be miserable. And not just for the 40-50 hours a week you work but a lot of the time you're off work as well.

I have been perusing the Pre-Pharmacy forum on SDN for about a year now. I just created an account a few days ago, and the first thing I want to say is that this forum has helped me tremendously. The advice that I've received from the people of this forum has helped me achieve my goals. Plus it is an excellent source of entertainment.

I believe you're dead wrong psi1989. In my General Psychology class, my professor brought up a very good point that I'm sure anyone who works with the general public will tell you: the average person is an idiot. This picture ( http://geniusblog.davidshenk.com/images/bellcurve_2.gif ) is a good representation of the distribution of IQ's in our society. Dealing with idiots is not very fun, as most of them will come in to your place of business already feeling as though you owe them something. As indicated by the normal distribution, one can imagine that the frequency of encountering idiots (in jobs that deal with the general public, such as pharmacy) is very high.

Let's not kid ourselves, [FONT="]any job can be a "really hard job and stressing" at times, especially when a job mandates that you deal with the general public..[FONT="] This applies to all lines of work and is certainly not unique to pharmacy..

I gotta side with SHC1984 on this issue. I hate dealing with idiots as well as drive thrus.

Thanks!

I knew this one doctor that is a Pharm.D/M.D. He became a pharmacist first then decided to work in the hospital where physicians treat him with disrespect. Tired of earfuls of wrong misdiagnosis and treatment plans, he decided to go to medical school so he can, not only dispense medication, but diagnose and prescribe as well. He said pharmacy school was actually a lot harder than medical school. According to this PharmD/MD, getting into medical school is the hardest part because once you're in, the school baby's you and makes sure you graduate. So all in all, I just wanted to express this story and my fear that 3-4 years of hell bewaits me =/

Members don't see this ad :)

Your contradicting yourself. You say not to play the holier than though card and look down on people, buts thats exactly what your doing to SHC1984. So SHAME on you...lol.

Having practiced pharmacy in all aspects retail, hospital, military, mangement, consultant, and clinical, all aspects of any pharmacy is definately stressful. Pharmacy is a customer/patient based... you will see good & bad people.. if you cannot deal with massive amounts of people at one time unlike other health professions "which is usually a one-one at a time", then it will definately be stressful and you will hate it. For example, when you work retail, on most locations you will be the only R.Ph. filling and checking Rx... then you will have multiple phones ringing at one time, then tons of customers waiting, as well as faxes & messages for new Rx on phone... it becomes crazy... thus stand up all the time, then limited lunch break/or restroom... Pharmacies will not pay you good hourly pay for nothing... they make sure they get their monies worth...On occasions you will feel okay at the end of the day but on most days no. Interms of stress level I have to rank retail as the most stressful>clinical/hospital"because you will not have alot of professional anatomy">military>managment>consultant. That is just my thought and everybody will have differing opinions. But then again... pharmacy is a great job, has great job stability... some will love it and others will hate it... everyone is different and differ in how they handle their pharmacy job atmosphere..

Last edited:
Your contradicting yourself. You say not to play the holier than though card and look down on people, buts thats exactly what your doing to SHC1984. So SHAME on you...lol.

merely stating the truth..i'm sure there are others who feel the same way about what i wrote. if that is playing the holier than thou card then okay stlouis..if you say so ROFL

so back to what i originally was saying...........what kind of professional (or should i say future professional) calls the people they are supposed to be helping idiots? that would be SHC!! :laugh:

That guy is born in 1989. Most likely haven't even taken Bio 101 yet:rolleyes:. So there is no reason to argue with him. He obviously has no experience in working at a retail pharmacy or any job for that matter.

Lets just stick with people that are actually old, mature and smart enough to talk on this forum. High school kids will be high school kids. Is there a pre-high school forum he can go to? :laugh:

I have been perusing the Pre-Pharmacy forum on SDN for about a year now. I just created an account a few days ago, and the first thing I want to say is that this forum has helped me tremendously. The advice that I’ve received from the people of this forum has helped me achieve my goals. Plus it is an excellent source of entertainment.

I believe you're dead wrong psi1989. In my General Psychology class, my professor brought up a very good point that I'm sure anyone who works with the general public will tell you: the average person is an idiot. This picture ( http://geniusblog.davidshenk.com/images/bellcurve_2.gif ) is a good representation of the distribution of IQ's in our society. Dealing with idiots is not very fun, as most of them will come in to your place of business already feeling as though you owe them something. As indicated by the normal distribution, one can imagine that the frequency of encountering idiots (in jobs that deal with the general public, such as pharmacy) is very high.

Let’s not kid ourselves, [FONT="]any job can be a “really hard job and stressing” at times, especially when a job mandates that you deal with the general public..[FONT="] This applies to all lines of work and is certainly not unique to pharmacy..

I gotta side with SHC1984 on this issue. I hate dealing with idiots as well as drive thrus.

anyone thats ever worked at a retail pharmacy will tell you the SAME THING. :thumbup: and those to disagree WILL AGREE once they get finally get a job.

That guy is born in 1989. Most likely haven't even taken Bio 101 yet:rolleyes:. So there is no reason to argue with him. He obviously has no experience in working at a retail pharmacy or any job for that matter.

Lets just stick with people that are actually old, mature and smart enough to talk on this forum. High school kids will be high school kids. Is there a pre-high school forum he can go to? :laugh:

oh really, apparently i am smart enough because i too will be starting this fall LOL. don't be a HATER! just cause i got a head start and will start when i'm 20 and you have to start at 25, you're trying to be a smartass. remember in 4 years we'll both have the same degree and you'll be 29 while i'll be only 24!! YOU'RE JUST JEALOUS!! at my church we pray for people like you..so have a nice day SHC :)

We're comparing ages now? C'mon guys this is sad.

To answer the OP, I think it matters a lot on the field and specialty. My experience is limited to hospital pharmacy where my job as a tech is very stressful, and I'm sure the pharmacists I work with can agree about the level of stress they have. But you get used to it. Retail is probably the worse, but if you have a specialty then you can see other aspects of the profession that may limit the stress level. Apparently nuclear pharmacists get stuck in the dark room somewhere :D

1) Drive thru
2) Dealing with idiots.

I think it's valid to call patients idiots without compromising compassion. Everybody has the potential to act idiotic. Also, I think any circumstance is only as stressful as you allow yourself to be stressed. I work at the drive thru and I deal with idiots, but I think deriving stress from that is mainly due to the fact that sometimes I am not much above idiot status myself.

I'm an old 1984 too, but I have to admit, 1989 totally burned you.... I mean us. lol. Making fun of the younger is never a good move. :hungover:

I knew this one doctor that is a Pharm.D/M.D. He became a pharmacist first then decided to work in the hospital where physicians treat him with disrespect. Tired of earfuls of wrong misdiagnosis and treatment plans, he decided to go to medical school so he can, not only dispense medication, but diagnose and prescribe as well. He said pharmacy school was actually a lot harder than medical school. According to this PharmD/MD, getting into medical school is the hardest part because once you're in, the school baby's you and makes sure you graduate. So all in all, I just wanted to express this story and my fear that 3-4 years of hell bewaits me =/

How pharmacy school will be harder if med student usually take around 10 credits more than pharmacy students per semester.

The latter half of this post reminds me of an old axiom:

What do you call someone who barely graduated from medical school?

The same thing you call someone who graduated at this top of his class:

Doctor.

oh really, apparently i am smart enough because i too will be starting this fall LOL. don't be a HATER! just cause i got a head start and will start when i'm 20 and you have to start at 25, you're trying to be a smartass. remember in 4 years we'll both have the same degree and you'll be 29 while i'll be only 24!! YOU'RE JUST JEALOUS!! at my church we pray for people like you..so have a nice day SHC :)

Oh God YES I am so jealous of an immature ******* like you.:thumbdown: I mean the only thing you can do to make yourself "Feel GOOD" is to come on SDN and put down people you don't even know. GET A LIFE *******!

And as for getting into Pharmacy school. I forgot about the HUGE SURPLUS of pharmacy schools out there...I mean you could have easily just apply to one of those expensive private pharmacy schools and got accepted with a 50 PCAT and 2.0 GPA. So congrats! :rolleyes:

I think you really need to go to church and pray for yourself and maybe talk to God sometimes...LOL..I mean for a person that has no life but to put others down on a public forum. You need some help!:laugh:

Oh and just b/c you got into expensive low ranked pharmacy school doesn't mean you aren't a stupid immature ******* either. LOSER. :thumbdown:

Oh God YES I am so jealous of an immature ******* like you.:thumbdown: I mean the only thing you can do to make yourself "Feel GOOD" is to come on SDN and put down people you don't even know. GET A LIFE *******!

And as for getting into Pharmacy school. I forgot about the HUGE SURPLUS of pharmacy schools out there...I mean you could have easily just apply to one of those expensive private pharmacy schools and got accepted with a 50 PCAT and 2.0 GPA. So congrats! :rolleyes:

I think you really need to go to church and pray for yourself and maybe talk to God sometimes...LOL..I mean for a person that has no life but to put others down on a public forum. You need some help!:laugh:

Oh and just b/c you got into expensive low ranked pharmacy school doesn't mean you aren't a stupid immature ******* either. LOSER. :thumbdown:

calm down. this is just the internet! nice try with a comeback but perhaps you can learn how to update your vocabulary so that every other word isn't sensored LOL :laugh: thanks for the good laugh though :thumbup:

really? are you sure you are cut out for a healthcare position dealing with the general public?

but they make money so i can buy my designer clothing and not have to live in rural areas where people are ugly:rolleyes:

How pharmacy school will be harder if med student usually take around 10 credits more than pharmacy students per semester.

Really, that would make about 28 credits per semester?! :rolleyes: :smuggrin:

Age ain't nothing but a number. Ima be 33 when I graduate, and I couldn't be happier. You might be burnt out on life by the time you're 25 and slipping those controlled pills your in charge of into your pockets. You are definitely playing the high and might card now, and at your church people pray for people like you! BOOYAH!

calm down. this is just the internet! nice try with a comeback but perhaps you can learn how to update your vocabulary so that every other word isn't sensored LOL :laugh: thanks for the good laugh though :thumbup:

Look you are obviously a troll. With only 20 post and doing nothing but starting flame wars. GET A LIFE. Your thread about lying on the interview is almost as pathetic as your ******* self. Just go to church/talk to God and STOP TROLLING SDN.

Oh and once again nice try, attacking my vocabulary doesn't make YOU any less of a *******. :thumbdown:

Age ain't nothing but a number. Ima be 33 when I graduate, and I couldn't be happier. You might be burnt out on life by the time you're 25 and slipping those controlled pills your in charge of into your pockets. You are definitely playing the high and might card now, and at your church people pray for people like you! BOOYAH!

He is nothing but a stupid internet troll, most likely lying about everything on here. No need to waste our time responsing to his lies/flame wars. :rolleyes:

Wow, your hospital sounds EXACTLY like mine. We had one of those nights last night as 3 people were admitted to the SICU/CCU within 15 minutes of each other and 2 of them kept coding. I was making norepi, dopamine, epi drips faster than I could even think about it. To me though that is what makes hospital pharmacy fun, 90% of the time it is steady/predictable work, but every once in a while you get that rush and you see who can really work well under pressure:)

Apparently you have never worked in a customer driven health care setting....because if you had you wouldn't when someone referred to some patients as idiots. They're idiots whether you like it or not....he didnt say he openly treats them like the idiots that they are (that would be wrong for the most part). Also, anyone who says that someone going through dental, medical or pharmacy schools is just trying to make easy money is probably one of the idiots that he was talking about in the first place. Lottery = easy money, Pharmacy = not so easy...

SHC1984- don't listen to that fool, psi1989. He obviously is too immature for these forums, and it's prob a good thing that he actually prays, b/c there's no way on gods green earth that a troll like him/her would've ever made it to pharm school without that...

Hmm... after much thought, and while I'm procrastinating from writing my thesis, I have to say that it's probably not a good idea to go into certain areas of pharmacy if you're pre-pharm and already saying stuff about dealing with "idiots." I read pharmacy blogs, I know all sorts of people, and it's true that customers/patients/the public are not always the smartest. It can be frustrating, even to a saint.

But people who aren't "people" people should be nowhere near dealing with the public. If you're one of those, stick to pharmacy jobs where you don't see people much.

And I just turned 28, so I'm better than all of you. And smarter, too. ;-)

SHC1984- don't listen to that fool, psi1989. He obviously is too immature for these forums, and it's prob a good thing that he actually prays, b/c there's no way on gods green earth that a troll like him/her would've ever made it to pharm school without that...

Actually, prayer has not been shown to work in any controlled study.

Provided psi1989 got into pharmacy school (this is the internet, after all), I'm sure he did it the conventional way, with lots of hard work.

Actually, prayer has not been shown to work in any controlled study.

Provided psi1989 got into pharmacy school (this is the internet, after all), I'm sure he did it the conventional way, with lots of hard work.

lol to the controlled study, that was funny...

anyway, i've worked in inpatient, outpatient, and retail pharmacies. it's stressful sometimes, but you gotta love it still - even though in oakland, you get cussed at all the time, pills and bottles and phones thrown at you, death threats... also being short-staffed and stressed out by the volume of rx's + 15 minute wait time... the busier you are, the more people you are serving, and the more rx's you're filling, the more people you're helping. it's exciting in a way! although i've left really pissed off before too, but well, everyone has THOSE days... hehe.

Thanks!
You've gotta be kidding me! Pharmacy is very hard and stressful! Your daily decisions affect people's lives--there isn't any falling asleep at the wheel in this profession. You must bring your "A" game daily.

One Word, Tool.

I don't know what church you go to.....

But,
It's probably something along the lines of "The First Church of Satan"

One Word, Tool.

I don't know what church you go to.....

But,
It's probably something along the lines of "The First Church of Satan"

So let's recap here. SHC1984 calls people idiots. Psi1989 gets angry about it and says something about SHC1984 that is not very nice. She gets mad and calls him a troll, even though he's more being rude. She then insults his age, psi1989 responds.

And now kcrmyz calls him a tool and a satanist. Classy. Can we please act just a bit like we're above the age of 12? Correcting people when they're wrong is one thing; insulting them with random side shots is just a bit immature.

And insulting to those that are satanists, no doubt. ;-)

really? are you sure you are cut out for a healthcare position dealing with the general public?

but they make money so i can buy my designer clothing and not have to live in rural areas where people are ugly:rolleyes:

:laugh:

Calling him a fool is letting him off easily. I would call him what he really is but I will be nice this time. He can't even get into a community college much less any other school, thats why he has to come on here and troll, so his pathetic worthless self will feel better.

Last edited:
So let's recap here. SHC1984 calls people idiots. Psi1989 gets angry about it and says something about SHC1984 that is not very nice. She gets mad and calls him a troll, even though he's more being rude. She then insults his age, psi1989 responds.

And now kcrmyz calls him a tool and a satanist. Classy. Can we please act just a bit like we're above the age of 12? Correcting people when they're wrong is one thing; insulting them with random side shots is just a bit immature.

And insulting to those that are satanists, no doubt. ;-)

Calling a Ass*ole like him a satanist is insulting to the satanist! Although, Kcrmyz (PLUS everyone else on here) is right that Psi1989 is nothing but a lying sack of ****.

Last edited:
internetargument.jpg

Calling a Ass*ole like him a satanist is insulting to the satanist! Although, Kcrmyz (PLUS everyone else on here) is right that Psi1989 is nothing but a lying sack of ****.

Never mind; I guess we're acting like we're twelve.

Who's gonna start with the "your momma" jokes??