Being abroad during app year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dweji16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here who was abroad during the application year experienced any communication problems with schools? My main concern is many people seem to be getting acceptances via phone call, and being abroad, not sure if this might pose a problem if by some miracle any school I Interview at wants to accept me. Have they still been consistent about calling or do they just stick to email communication at this point...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools try to call, I believe, but if they can't contact you by phone, don't worry it's not like they will rescind your acceptance. You'll just get an email eventually!

One thought: if you're really worried about it (although, like the above poster said, it's probably not a big deal), you could sign up for the Skype phone number service (and Google Voice may have a similar one, but I haven't tried it). They'll give you a US phone number that will forward calls to your international phone if you're not signed on to your computer/skype.

I've been living abroad since last year, and having a US phone number for friends and relatives to call me at has been great.

Members don't see this ad :)
One thought: if you're really worried about it (although, like the above poster said, it's probably not a big deal), you could sign up for the Skype phone number service (and Google Voice may have a similar one, but I haven't tried it). They'll give you a US phone number that will forward calls to your international phone if you're not signed on to your computer/skype.

I've been living abroad since last year, and having a US phone number for friends and relatives to call me at has been great.

Oooo! That's actually a great idea. Never even thought about it. Totally forgot that is a very doable option. Thanks for the advice! Will definitely be looking into this! :cool: