Being broke sucks -- let me help you with study materials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeachBlondie

Put some tussin on it!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to get real with you, SDN:

I grew up poor. Didn't have two nickels to rub together. As a result, I spent my college and post-baccalaureate years working like a dog to afford food, housing, tuition, and anything extra to support my Pops. I know what it's like to struggle.

Now, let's be honest with each other -- MCAT materials are absurdly expensive. But, now that I'm making a little bit of money, and have since used my study guides, I'd like to pay it forward to SDN for all of the support I've received.

If you're reading through this forum, thinking, "How's a poor kid supposed to study for this thing?" I'd like to donate all of the study material I own (Kaplan stuff, Princeton Review stuff, Exam Krackers stuff, and more). Free of charge. Free of shipping costs. All you have to do is ask.

Disclaimer: this isn't a call for people hoping to save beer money; I'm looking for those that are ACTUALLY in dire straits. I encourage all of you who are able to do the same to help out our fellow pre-meds; you're welcome to advertise as a reply in this thread.

I know this is a sensitive topic, so please feel free to PM me a little about yourself, and I'll have a little raffle for those that need it.

Cheers, crew!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 22 users
That is a very nice gesture!

Just putting good vibes out into the universe for all of the support I've received from physicians, fellow students, and friends over the years. I'd be in a sorry state if it had not been for many of them :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I believe knowledge should always be free. You can also find all the materials for MCAT prep on the internets. Books should be used for ps problems, and thats about it.

I believe knowledge should always be free. You can also find all the materials for MCAT prep on the internets. Books should be used for ps problems, and thats about it.

Hear, hear. Knowledge IS power, as they say. There's actually an uprising of free web-based classes being hosted by schools like Harvard for the purposes of dispersing info. That being said, I'm a pretty big proponent of TBR and TPR for prep work. Unfortunately, neither of those are free.

How nice of you to donate your books. Studying for the MCAT..just being pre-med in general is pretty expensive. I worked throughout my undergrad then took time off after college to pay back loans and save up for more schooling. I can proudly say that I spent my money earned on paying for my education..and buying those prep books. Good to know you'll be helping other struggling students by way of passing on the power of knowledge! :)

How nice of you to donate your books. Studying for the MCAT..just being pre-med in general is pretty expensive. I worked throughout my undergrad then took time off after college to pay back loans and save up for more schooling. I can proudly say that I spent my money earned on paying for my education..and buying those prep books. Good to know you'll be helping other struggling students by way of passing on the power of knowledge! :)

Ooh-rah! Working students unite! By the way, I didn't understand your username until I saw your avatar..... now it all comes together....

Ooh-rah! Working students unite! By the way, I didn't understand your username until I saw your avatar..... now it all comes together....

"The struggle is real" jk..that quote has been used way too many times. haha I'm not good with coming up usernames..I looked around my room and saw my little nerdy stitch figurine and that's how this username was born.

"The struggle is real" jk..that quote has been used way too many times. haha I'm not good with coming up usernames..I looked around my room and saw my little nerdy stitch figurine and that's how this username was born.

Ha! C'mon, "BeachBlondie" is just as bad.

I'm about to get real with you, SDN:

I grew up poor. Didn't have two nickels to rub together. As a result, I spent my college and post-baccalaureate years working like a dog to afford food, housing, tuition, and anything extra to support my Pops. I know what it's like to struggle.

Now, let's be honest with each other -- MCAT materials are absurdly expensive. But, now that I'm making a little bit of money, and have since used my study guides, I'd like to pay it forward to SDN for all of the support I've received.

If you're reading through this forum, thinking, "How's a poor kid supposed to study for this thing?" I'd like to donate all of the study material I own (Kaplan stuff, Princeton Review stuff, Exam Krackers stuff, and more). Free of charge. Free of shipping costs. All you have to do is ask.

Disclaimer: this isn't a call for people hoping to save beer money; I'm looking for those that are ACTUALLY in dire straits. I encourage all of you who are able to do the same to help out our fellow pre-meds; you're welcome to advertise as a reply in this thread.

I know this is a sensitive topic, so please feel free to PM me a little about yourself, and I'll have a little raffle for those that need it.

Cheers, crew!
Wish you all the best! we'll miss you here on sdn mcat section! I hope you get your desired score because you deserve it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wish you all the best! we'll miss you here on sdn mcat section! I hope you get your desired score because you deserve it!

I know you guys will keep fightin' the good fight. Hopefully I can move on and not have to take it again... yeesh :uhno:

Best of luck to everyone!

I know you guys will keep fightin' the good fight. Hopefully I can move on and not have to take it again... yeesh :uhno:

Best of luck to everyone!
naaah you'll be gone for good! I really need that luck after getting crushed with a 20 on aamc practice test after so long studying :/

naaah you'll be gone for good! I really need that luck after getting crushed with a 20 on aamc practice test after so long studying :/

@BeachBlondie we have faith in you that you'll be out of the MCATzone..cheers for another one of SDNer who got out. haha

@Jason12 I was crushed on Saturday after doing AAMC 4 VR and got a 7 after feeling confident getting 8-11 range when doing EK 101 and TPR so I took off Sunday so I understand the feeling of getting crushed. :scared:

Builds character; makes you work harder and get angry. Use that fire, my man!

....also, it's just one test. It's a bummer, but maybe it's a sign you need a day or two to clear your head.

Builds character; makes you work harder and get angry. Use that fire, my man!

....also, it's just one test. It's a bummer, but maybe it's a sign you need a day or two to clear your head.
that was a month ago.. I took some time off and started getting back at it two weeks ago again. its a bit depressing though, but thats not going to do me any good so I might as well get back on track :|

@BeachBlondie we have faith in you that you'll be out of the MCATzone..cheers for another one of SDNer who got out. haha

@Jason12 I was crushed on Saturday after doing AAMC 4 VR and got a 7 after feeling confident getting 8-11 range when doing EK 101 and TPR so I took off Sunday so I understand the feeling of getting crushed. :scared:
nah man you'll be fine! I got a 4 on aamc 3 and 4!! you can improve a lot in 2 month man, keep at it!

Very nice of you blondie, I'd also like to add that if you buy the right materials (those that are in high demand), you can usually sell them for 70% of what you bought them for. The TBR books that I had (back then they were hard to get) sold on ebay for more than what I bought them. I'd say TPR, TBR, EK usually go for ~70% if you treat them well and then throw them on ebay. MCAT 2015 might change things a little, so if you have any sell them soon!

I am sure y'all must have felt like this while preparing for this test.....for it does feel like a prison (job+mcat).........love this movie. one of my favorites..... Hoping for your redemption on the 1'st...:) - and then mine a couple of months later.....see u at the beach!