Being paid less than your staff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newpharmacist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would you do ?
I am the pharmacy manager (full time 40 hrs/ week) and have a part time staff Rph ( technically full time as 32 hrs is considered full time) . Just found out that he is getting paid exactly same as me.. He dies have more work experience overall ( not with this organization though ; here I would have more experience )
Is that normal ? Should I be discussing with my DM .. Why am I doing the same amount of scripts and actually much more administration work, have so much more responsibility and yet paid less/ equal as my part time pharmacist ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

What would you do ?
I am the pharmacy manager (full time 40 hrs/ week) and have a part time staff Rph ( technically full time as 32 hrs is considered full time) . Just found out that he is getting paid exactly same as me.. He dies have more work experience overall ( not with this organization though ; here I would have more experience )
Is that normal ? Should I be discussing with my DM .. Why am I doing the same amount of scripts and actually much more administratrix. Work and paid less/ equal as my part time pharmacist ?

Yes talk to your boss about this. He negotiated a better starting salary than you. Good for him. Be prepared to justify why you need to get paid more, what you did, etc

Reactions: 1 user
His starting salary was lower than me ; we recently got market adjustment ( apparently we all were getting paid lower than the market rate) .. He got $5/hr bump and that brought him to where I was( I got only $1.5/hr bump) :(((

Members don't see this ad :)
This happens more often than you would think. Your boss probably can't get you a raise unless your job changes. If he does, it needs to be approved by multiple people up the chain of command and it won't likely happen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Problem: I was paid $2.56 less than my (PT) staff
Solution: got another job

Reactions: 4 users
Doubt you get a raise seeing as you are replaceable.

Yes talk to your boss.

Just out of curiosity do you mean your hourly rate is the same or you both get paid literally the same amount of money but you work more hours?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

All of us are replaceable .. That still doesn't justify the disparity.

you justify your pay rate every day you show up for that amount of money...be prepared to walk if you think you are currently underpaid

Problem: I was paid $2.56 less than my (PT) staff
Solution: got another job

I had a similar problem. Found out I was being paid the same as new hires with no experience due to a hospital wide pay evaluation, which was shocking because I had negotiated a fairly substantial increase in my starting offer a few years prior.

Solution: Found a job with better pay, better hours, more vacation time.

It was hard but probably the right move. It hopefully put me on a more lucrative path.

Yes talk to your boss.

Just out of curiosity do you mean your hourly rate is the same or you both get paid literally the same amount of money but you work more hours?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile
No I meant the hourly rate is the same. He works 32hrs per week , which is kind of part- time , and me full time 40 hrs/week.

I've heard of some places paying PT and PRN pharmacists more hourly than full time staff due to no benefits, although I've mainly just heard this for PRN coverage.

How do people not understand the laws of supply and demand. You do not do anything special thus you will not get paid more.

Talk to your employer and let us know what they say. I do agree you should be paid more and normally the manager does. Are you in an undesirable area? You might have some leverage.

Personally I make significantly more then my staff however probably half or so depending on the year is from my bonus. If your bonus is 8 to 10k or more I wouldn't complain.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do people not understand the laws of supply and demand. You do not do anything special thus you will not get paid more.

Talk to your employer and let us know what they say. I do agree you should be paid more and normally the manager does. Are you in an undesirable area? You might have some leverage.

Personally I make significantly more then my staff however probably half or so depending on the year is from my bonus. If your bonus is 8 to 10k or more I wouldn't complain.

Being a PIC, you def do much more than the staff, I do atleast. This is hospital setting so , no bonuses for either staff or pic. So no I get no perks for being a PIC.
Until recently I made $2 more than him, but not anymore after the recent market adjustment.
He does have much more experience than me(16-18yrs) vs me (7yrs) ..

Being a PIC, you def do much more than the staff, I do atleast. This is hospital setting so , no bonuses for either staff or pic. So no I get no perks for being a PIC.
Until recently I made $2 more than him, but not anymore after the recent market adjustment.
He does have much more experience than me(16-18yrs) vs me (7yrs) ..

I would ask for the raise then. If it's not an option, the question then becomes are their openings that pay more. If not then we're back to being replaceable.

This is common

Thanks everyone for your inputs!
Really appreciate.

Are market adjustments normal? Never heard of this concept before. Well, not in pharmacy that is.

Are market adjustments normal? Never heard of this concept before. Well, not in pharmacy that is.

Yes it is. That's why RPH gets paid differently in different regions.

my boss hands me all the work and gets paid the same also. But he hands me all the work and sits in his office. You should do the same thing.

Yes it is. That's why RPH gets paid differently in different regions.

I would explain regional difference based on supply/demand, col, and what other similar sized areas are doing around the country. And those differences I would attribute to what they pay new hires, not to adjust the pay of current employees. I mean good to those companies that do it, just new to me. Maybe my days in retail have made me cynical and I didn't realize companies did things ethically anymore.

This is why you don't tell people how much you make.

Nothing new here. HR has their payscales, despite the fact that experience is not necessarily a good proxy for performance, plus some people are good negotiators. You can either bring it up and ask for a raise based on the justification that you take on much more responsibility and history of your performance.

Do not threaten to leave, but let them know that it's important to you - if they decline, you may want to quietly look for something else that pays you what you feel you are worth if they decline. If you're willing to work with them, you can ask what they would want to see that would justify a raise of x amount - more than likely, you'd be taking on even more responsibilities than you already are. Alternatively, you can ask for a demotion since you're not being paid any more for taking on more responsibilities, though you may risk being fired this way.

If it's not that important to you, you'll probably continuing as is.. But if they agree to the raise, then great.