Being part of the ASDA Chapter - How helpful is it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youraverageasia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I joined the ASDA chapter last month, but there really aren't that many events. There's a big national conference in boston next year in Feb, and I'm debating whether it's worth the money/time. Do dental schools look fondly upon actively participating ASDA members?

Members don't see this ad.

I can only speak on behave on Texas schools, based on what the head of the Pre-health committee at my school says.

Students involved with pre-dental organizations have a ~33% higher chance of getting into dental schools compared to those who aren't in these clubs. It shows you're interested in the field, and is trying to learn more about it - so it can only benefit you in the end!

I can only speak on behave on Texas schools, based on what the head of the Pre-health committee at my school says.

Students involved with pre-dental organizations have a ~33% higher chance of getting into dental schools compared to those who aren't in these clubs. It shows you're interested in the field, and is trying to learn more about it - so it can only benefit you in the end!
Wow a 33% increase in chance is huge. I'll def keep this mind!

Members don't see this ad :)

This sounds like a made up statistic.

Of course there are going to be a lot of kids in predent organizations getting in to schools, because everyone single person in it is trying to get in. Involvement in these clubs aren't going increase your chances by 33%.

Reactions: 1 user
This sounds like a made up statistic.

Of course there are going to be a lot of kids in predent organizations getting in to schools, because everyone single person in it is trying to get in. Involvement in these clubs aren't going increase your chances by 33%.

Yeah I don't know where they got the numbers to calculate that percentage, but when comparing two applicants, one involved with dental related stuff versus one not so much, involvement can only benefit! Of course these organizations aren't the only way, but one of the ways!

I doubt that percentage is accurate for many schools. If it is, well, that's a shame! It is a well-known fact an overwhelming majority of the students are in them purely for the title.

Our pre-dent society (not Pre-Dent ASDA) spends the first 20-30 minutes of each meeting on "ice-breakers"...Seriously, are we in middle school? I'm a busy person, I have no time for your "two-truths-and-a-lie" BS. I don't ever learn anything new, which is why I stopped attending their meetings. Our Pre-Dental ASDA is much better, so I do attend their meetings when I have time. They invite speakers, and some of them are really accomplished and inspirational. So, at least I learn something!

Sorry for the rant OP.. I realize I went off-topic a bit.. I guess it shows you how frustrated I am with these organizations. In my opinion, they're useless. Classes, research, and shadowing take the priority in my world. :) and if some school thinks that being an active member in such society/organization is more important than grades, well, I don't want to go there anyways :)

Reactions: 3 users
HAHA pay more money to feed the not working system, capitalism at its finest hour! and 33%? come on bro where do you even get that kind of number?

Ask your predent committee if 33% of faculty are members of the ADA.