Being rushed to fill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacita0101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. My question is how do you all deal with being rushed about filling rx's? I'm a recent graduate so of course my speed is not like some others who have been working for years. I've seen some pharmacists who quickly click through nearly everything for the sake of time but they also make quite a few errors. How long did it take you to become more comfortable? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would just take your time. The techs will maybe complain but just ignore it. I have not met a rph this year who has been in trouble for giving 1 hour wait times. I have met a few who got in trouble regarding errors though.

One trick though is to see if the RX is a refill. If it is a refill especially passed the 3rd fill and it's not some high risk drug (like insulin, warfarin, etc.) then it's usually already been checked enough that you don't have to spend much time with it.

Reactions: 1 user
I would just take your time. The techs will maybe complain but just ignore it. I have not met a rph this year who has been in trouble for giving 1 hour wait times. I have met a few who got in trouble regarding errors though.

One trick though is to see if the RX is a refill. If it is a refill especially passed the 3rd fill and it's not some high risk drug (like insulin, warfarin, etc.) then it's usually already been checked enough that you don't have to spend much time with it.
yup - take your time (within reason of course - I have seen some major OCD'ers who would take 5 minutes on every Rx. As long as your are reasonable, it will come with time. I have always been a fast workers and have to intentionally slow myself down at times. As soon as you make your first error (it will happen) you will then get paranoid and go even slower.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its funny cause I just had my boss complain that I was too slow and its something that I'm "working " on. I've only been working 3 months part time. and I believe I am picking it up but like the op above, i had some techs complain to my boss about not getting in the 15 min window. Avg 18 min or so. i think. I don't think that's unreasonable. Though it only occurs when rushes and I fall behind.

You can edit the promise time on prescriptions to make that promise time report look good. You'll just have to waste paper/ink reprinting the label off again.