Below 3.0 gpa Support Group/Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Talk about non-traditional... Sorry for the length of the post but this is my story. Hopefully I can inspire some, be inspired, and get some great advice along the way.

I graduated from college with a degree in liberal arts. My undergraduate career was somewhat of a disaster. I was always a bright student but I was known around campus for putting in very little effort. I never bought a single textbook during my college career. I would make A's on exams and decide not to turn in assignments if I thought it was "busy work". This usually resulted in B's and C's. I would make an A in a 4000 level law course and a D in intro to music. I have 5 D's during my undergraduate studies and they were all in 1000 level courses. It was completely dependent on my level of interest in the subject.

My first semester I took 18 credits with 5 B's and one C. And then the medical issues began... I felt a little off. Nothing major, just a little off. I was always tired, lethargic. I missed days and my grades took a huge hit. I got a 2.0 GPA the following two semesters and had to withdraw my third semester after getting Bell's palsy. I left school that semester and was given a 0 GPA.

I took a while off of school. I was sick every couple of months but never diagnosed with anything. Random things. would always come up. Swollen lymph nodes etc. I knew I had to get back in school though. I just kind of coasted through and got a 2.9. I returned back to my home university focused on finishing but with no real goals in mind just taking my b's and c's for a 2.8. My cumulative GPA was separate from the other school and I graduated with a 2.4 overall GPA with the 0 GPA calculated.

I attempted to join the Coast Guard and was selected as the only candidate from my state to be chosen to go to MEPS that month. I was looking forward to serving my country but was shut down 5 minutes before swearing in for high frequency hearing loss in my left ear... Another random medical issue.

I started working for a dredging company and got THE CALL after a physical for work. My lab results came back and my #'s were off. My hemoglobin was a 6. I was sent for test after test. A colonoscopy revealed an 8 cm mass. I was told that I had cancer and my time was limited.

Later testing showed the mass but 0 cancer. I had become somewhat of a medical mystery. An amazing team of doctors zeroed in on the problem and I recently had surgery. I am back to 100% and feel better than I have in years.

I knew something was off with me but never knew how bad off I really was. I now have a completely new outlook on life. I want to make the best of everything. I feel like I wasted my undergraduate years. I was an intelligent kid and I blew it. It haunts me but I can't focus on what I did in the past.

I have been given a new lease on life. So here I am, 25 years old with a 2.4 GPA and I am going back to school to become a doctor. I know I can do the work and I have the energy and focus now. I will be going back to take my prerequisites for medical school within the next few months. I will do decent on my MCAT. I know I am going to have a hard time explaining my prior GPA. I realize I may not be able to go to school in the states and I will have to do things the nontraditional way. I will not let this deter me from becoming a doctor though. I want to help people and dive head first into the medical world. Any advice on possible roads to getting into medical school or stories from other non traditional students would be greatly appreciated.

Pretty crazy story. Very glad to hear you didn't have cancer and are excited to start this new journey. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I really wonder how my situation is going to be looked at; I have a semester of 4 classes when I was dual enrolled at the local CC while I was in high school that I didn't withdraw from, so 4 F's. I've been slowly chugging away at school while I didn't know what I wanted to do, then have really buckled down the past 3 years or so. The interesting thing is, all my grades are getting counted as my undergrad, so it's not post-bac/grad/etc work. After getting an associates with a cGPA 2.7 sGPA 2.5 based on AMCAS calcs (I graduated with a 3.78 with 1 repeat and obviously without that sem from 10 years ago), I transferred to UW, and have a 3.82 from the three terms I've been going there. It's strange how things work since we get numerical grades, so they have to be converted to letter then back to numerical, but I've got straight A's and all of them in prereqs. So a bit of excel work later, I found I "should" be at cGPA 3.02 and sGPA 3.20 if I continue my current grade trends until next application cycle (between 3.5-3.8 for each class since it all gets rounded to the same thing, for 4 more terms). I'll also have straight A's for the latest 90 credits of my undergrad. I'm just really hoping on trending playing an important role in my application, as my "postbac" is actually my first undergrad. I've been working at a hospital for the last 5 years now, while going to school, and have plenty of shadowing/volunteer work, so I feel good about that portion of my app. I will say having a family member as an MD really helped on that front opening doors.

Crazy the AACOMAS vs AMCAS GPA's;
Currently; 2.88 vs 3.31, sGPA 3.00 vs 3.81 (and I'm a bio major so most of my classes are BCP)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I just want to share my story.

It can be done. Freshman year, I had a 1.4 GPA. I graduated with a 2.8. I took a few years to do some work that was meaningful to me (in the HIV/AIDS field). Got my MPH along the way (graduate gpa 3.9), returned for a postbacc (sci GPA 3.85), took the MCAT (31), and got accepted into 4 medical schools.

Don't let a difficult history keep you down. Work your ass off. Keep going. Make your dream come true.
Congrats :)

This usually resulted in B's and C's. I would make an A in a 4000 level law course and a D in intro to music. I have 5 D's during my undergraduate studies and they were all in 1000 level courses. It was completely dependent on my level of interest in the subject.

Hahaha oh I totally get this. Grade replacement helps, but I won't be trying to replace the F in Women's Studies. When I did my committee interview the adviser told me that I didn't completely scuttle my ship since all but 6 credits were in the nonscience category.

I posted this in another thread but it may help you. This was in response to working full time and taking the prereqs. I've completed a DIY program and am applying this cycle. Your mileage may vary, particularly since you actually experienced adversity. I experienced the less desirable "a" word: apathy.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/full-time-work-and-pre-req-advice.1079247/#post-15361796

Hahaha oh I totally get this. Grade replacement helps, but I won't be trying to replace the F in Women's Studies. When I did my committee interview the adviser told me that I didn't completely scuttle my ship since all but 6 credits were in the nonscience category.

I posted this in another thread but it may help you. This was in response to working full time and taking the prereqs. I've completed a DIY program and am applying this cycle. Your mileage may vary, particularly since you actually experienced adversity. I experienced the less desirable "a" word: apathy.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/full-time-work-and-pre-req-advice.1079247/#post-15361796
Did you explain your earlier coursework at all in your personal statement? ie why you you had such a great upward trend.

wanted to share this video with y'all

This video makes some decent points, but at the same time it is the perfect set up for misery. Even if you want to be a doctor with all your heart, don't expect medicine to be perfect. There's a lot in every single job that sucks. The idea of "do what you love" is what sets up the failures of our generation. Most people don't just love one thing or stay stagnant on stuff. The key to a good work life is to find a job where you're reasonably content and are able to accept the difficulties associated with it. Besides, how can you truly know a job without first having had that job? For all the reasons I mention is why such a large group of physicians are miserable.

Did you explain your earlier coursework at all in your personal statement? ie why you you had such a great upward trend.

No. I was tempted, but ultimately decided not to comment upon it. This seems to be one of the most polar topics out there so I definitely don't know the right answer on this. Most importantly, it didn't seem to fit with the overall theme of my personal statement. I felt it was more important for me to convey why I wanted to become a physician, not remain a paramedic. Anything I wrote about my poor academic performance would have been forced and I risked detracting from this overall message. It seemed better to show how my experiences after graduation led to maturity rather than simply explaining bad grades with "I messed up; I was immature."

My rationale was the following:

1)They have my transcripts, they can see I improved.
2)It will certainly be addressed in my interview, if they choose to grant me one. We can talk about it there.
3)The personal statement remains my best opportunity to show them who I am. Plenty of people will have reformed their academic ways but bad grades didn't help me discover that I wanted to become a physician.

I don't know the right answer on this. I just know it didn't work for me.

Hello Everyone,

I've been on this site for awhile and reading posts but I never felt like there was a place for me. When I saw this discussion, I was excited to find a community of people that could understand where I'm at. Thank you for this thread!!!
Anywho, I'm in need of some advice and was wondering if you could help. I started out my undergrad career doing ok 3.3-3.7 range. I ended it poorly 1.5-2.5 range due to some health issues (I should have not been in school at all). After college, I went into the working world. Odd jobs nothing too special. I've always wanted to be a physician, so I've decided to go back to school. I did well in all of my prereqs for med school A's and B's it was my major courses that really killed me. I'm wondering if I should take the MCAT before the new one comes out next year (as I haven't taken any psych or soc classes) or if I should just wait (because I'm doing a personal post bac and retaking some of my science major courses) Any suggestions??? Any help is appreciated? Thank you!!!

Hello Everyone,

I've been on this site for awhile and reading posts but I never felt like there was a place for me. When I saw this discussion, I was excited to find a community of people that could understand where I'm at. Thank you for this thread!!!
Anywho, I'm in need of some advice and was wondering if you could help. I started out my undergrad career doing ok 3.3-3.7 range. I ended it poorly 1.5-2.5 range due to some health issues (I should have not been in school at all). After college, I went into the working world. Odd jobs nothing too special. I've always wanted to be a physician, so I've decided to go back to school. I did well in all of my prereqs for med school A's and B's it was my major courses that really killed me. I'm wondering if I should take the MCAT before the new one comes out next year (as I haven't taken any psych or soc classes) or if I should just wait (because I'm doing a personal post bac and retaking some of my science major courses) Any suggestions??? Any help is appreciated? Thank you!!!

My story is pretty similar to yours. I thought I was an outcast prior to finding this board as well.

I'd wait to take the MCAT. The post-bac work will help you when you do take the test. There really isn't any need to rush. Take your time. You will be better off truly understanding the material and not just quickly memorizing facts for the test.

Stay focused and keep on the grind. Good luck my friend.

The details of my application are very similar to this.

Chemical engineer about 12 years out of undergrad. Married with 2 kids (though only 1 kid when I studied for the MCAT).

Undergrad GPA (both c and s) - 3.0
Grad GPA - 3.1
Recent coursework - PhD level pharmaceutics courses at USP and Biochem + Cell Biology about a year ago to demonstrate recent ability to to take courses - 4.0

I used EK Audio Osmosis for a pretty good while; have probably listened to everything >10 times. Used the 10 week plan with all of their study materials. Did not use anything else. Studied at night when the wife and kid were asleep until ~2am almost every night. Walked out of the exam thinking I probably wasted 4 months of my life. Ended up scoring a 33.

Applied to 3 MD schools, 2 in-state and one in state next door. Interviewed at 2. Accepted at both.

I start medical school in a little over a month.

Good luck to everyone.
Which schools did you get accepted too?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you Mars41 and tellme_areyoufree! I appreciate your encouragement and insight! I'm really excited to finally embark on this journey!

Need your guys opinion. Currently I am balls deep in Chem 2 of my post bacc program. I have a C in calculus 1 from undergrad so I don't have to take it. But I am taking Organic Chem 1, Biology 1 with lab, and Physics 1 with lab in the fall. With that load should I squeeze in Calc 1 to boost the grade or just stay focused on Organic and Biology? (Side note: this is the third time I have taken physics 1. Calc based and normal for undergrad made C in both.....lol)

^That's a heck of a load. I would avoid calc. You're going to have enough fun with orgo and physics in the same semester.

Good luck my friend.

I'm taking Organic Chem I, Bio I, and Physics I in the fall as well. It'll be a busy semester

Not in a program. Doing a DIY for the pre-reqs at a cheap/ affordable state school. Then next year I will look into doing a formal program @ Penn for upper level courses.

Are you in a formal program?

Not in a program. Doing a DIY for the pre-reqs at a cheap/ affordable state school. Then next year I will look into doing a formal program @ Penn for upper level courses.

Are you in a formal program?
I looked at penny's post back it's nice but expensive!!!

I'm taking Organic Chem I, Bio I, and Physics I in the fall as well. It'll be a busy semester
I'm taking Orgo 1 and Physics 1 (calc-based, not my first choice but it was the only one available that didn't conflict with my schedule) this summer. Love Orgo but the lab work and the general workload of taking two of these classes in such a short period is a pain. No me gusta.

It can be done. Freshman year, I had a 1.4 GPA. I graduated with a 2.8. I took a few years to do some work that was meaningful to me (in the HIV/AIDS field). Got my MPH along the way (graduate gpa 3.9), returned for a postbacc (sci GPA 3.85), took the MCAT (31), and got accepted into 4 medical schools.
Mind if I PM you to pick your brain a bit? Your story is eerily similar to mine.

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1404489310.634052.jpg

Which schools did you get accepted too?
University of South Alabama (USA) and University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB). They are both public and have a preference for in-state applicants which helped of course.

Finished 1st year 4 weeks ago. It was difficult but doable. Good luck.

University of South Alabama (USA) and University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB). They are both public and have a preference for in-state applicants which helped of course.

Finished 1st year 4 weeks ago. It was difficult but doable. Good luck.
Well congrats!

Hello all - hope your July 4th weekend is going well. There is a Chem 2 course being offered as part of summer 2. I am hesitant to enroll (as a retake of Chem 2 nearly 10 years ago) - though it would help me with the coursework timeline. I am nearly certain I won't enroll due to concern about packing everything into 5 weeks. However, I want to ask opinions around here. Has anyone else done this? How difficult is it? I also work full time - though my boss may work with me (they are somewhat pushing me to take the course). I want to take Physics in the Fall and start the Orgo track, so knocking chem out of the way would be nice.

Right now my sciences are:

Bio1 - A
Bio2 - A
Chem 1 - B+

Thanks for any advice!

Hello all - hope your July 4th weekend is going well. There is a Chem 2 course being offered as part of summer 2. I am hesitant to enroll (as a retake of Chem 2 nearly 10 years ago) - though it would help me with the coursework timeline. I am nearly certain I won't enroll due to concern about packing everything into 5 weeks. However, I want to ask opinions around here. Has anyone else done this? How difficult is it? I also work full time - though my boss may work with me (they are somewhat pushing me to take the course). I want to take Physics in the Fall and start the Orgo track, so knocking chem out of the way would be nice.

Right now my sciences are:

Bio1 - A
Bio2 - A
Chem 1 - B+

Thanks for any advice!
I am taking chem 1 now and chem 2 in 3 weeks both are 5 week courses.. It's rough it's taking up my summer but I think it's worth it... It's just fast pace And there is a bunch of homework everyday because you go over so much in class but it's totally doable

^^^ do able but make sure to not over burden yourself. And also do LOTS of practice problems

^^^ do able but make sure to not over burden yourself. And also do LOTS of practice problems
I am taking chem 1 now and chem 2 in 3 weeks both are 5 week courses.. It's rough it's taking up my summer but I think it's worth it... It's just fast pace And there is a bunch of homework everyday because you go over so much in class but it's totally doable

Thanks for the advice and insight. I will see - it sounds like an opportunity to knock it out and save time, but I am concerned about not being able to finish with an A.

Thanks for the advice and insight. I will see - it sounds like an opportunity to knock it out and save time, but I am concerned about not being able to finish with an A.
Well I need A's and so far I have a 92.2 :( I agree with the post above do a ton of problems! Make sure you actually understand it! At first I didn't and I was confused now something clicked and I understand it lol. Good luck :)

Well I need A's and so far I have a 92.2 :( I agree with the post above do a ton of problems! Make sure you actually understand it! At first I didn't and I was confused now something clicked and I understand it lol. Good luck :)

Yeah that is a really odd system of needing a 93% for an A...but you gotta do what you gotta do

Also chadd's videos has some great gen. Chem videos and quizzes

Hello all,
First time on SDN and I'm looking for some advice. I am a nontraditional student looking for some perspective on the reality of getting into medical school (MD) with poor grades. I am favoring or applying MD and not DO because I like doing research. I would say I am good student but always seem to choke on tests. I really worked hard for my MCAT score and luckily didn't choke. I feel like there are cases of people with such stats (listed below) being accepted, but where exactly, because I do not want to go to the Caribbean (merely to avoid stigma). Any words of wisdom? Any suggestions for schools to apply to?

White male
Undergrad GPA (BS Biochemistry): 2.75
Grad GPA (MS Chemistry): 3.45
MCAT: 38
Two publications with a third in the works...coming out at the end of summer.

Thank you!

Last edited:
3.08 GPA, here.

Early: 85 units at a 1.91 GPA
Late: 195 units at a 3.63 GPA
30R MCAT (12P/8V/10B; R)
B.S. Biochemistry (UCLA, 3.5 GPA); M.S. Pharmacology and Toxicology (UCD, 3.78 GPA).

After high school, I entered community college and accrued 85 units at a 1.91 GPA. After finding a job in patient care, I found passion for a career and earned 195 units at a 3.63 GPA. The early gpa was earned between 5 community colleges while working in labor and service for next to minimum wage and supporting a woman and her child financially.

I applied to 60 allopathic schools and 6 osteopathic schools for this 2014-2015 application cycle. I'm from a rural area and want to practice rurally. I didn't mark the disadvantaged checkbox on my applications, either. I worked as a nursing assistant for 4 years among other things. See my MDapps for more info, if you're curious.

Last edited:
3.08 GPA, here.

Early: 85 units at a 1.91 GPA
Late: 195 units at a 3.63 GPA
30R MCAT (12P/8V/10B; R)
B.S. Biochemistry (UCLA, 3.5 GPA); M.S. Pharmacology and Toxicology (UCD, 3.78 GPA).

After high school, I entered community college and accrued 85 units at a 1.91 GPA. After finding a job in patient care, I found passion for a career and subsequently earned 195 units at a 3.63 GPA. During my early years, I moved between 5 community colleges while working in labor and service for next to minimum wage while supporting a woman and her child financially.

I applied to 60 allopathic schools and 6 osteopathic schools for this 2014-2015 application cycle. I'm from a rural area and want to practice rurally. I didn't mark the disadvantaged checkbox on my applications, either. I worked as a nursing assistant for 4 years among other things. See my MDapps for more info, if you're curious.

I noticed you applied at Tulane. I suggest you withdraw that application since they don't consider anyone under a 32 MCAT. Try LSU instead. I honestly think that all of the schools from the Northeast will be a waste of time as well. The SUNY, NYC, and Boston -- they are very competitive and I don't think you have the stats to get in up there.

I have similar stats and during my first application cycle I tried many of the same schools as you. They were happy to send me a secondary and take my money, but that is the last I heard from most of them.

That being said, I think your upward trend, and life experiences are going to land you a spot somewhere. I just want to make sure you don't apply out of your range -- if that makes any sense.

I noticed you applied at Tulane. I suggest you withdraw that application since they don't consider anyone under a 32 MCAT. Try LSU instead. I honestly think that all of the schools from the Northeast will be a waste of time as well. The SUNY, NYC, and Boston -- they are very competitive and I don't think you have the stats to get in up there.

I have similar stats and during my first application cycle I tried many of the same schools as you. They were happy to send me a secondary and take my money, but that is the last I heard from most of them.

That being said, I think your upward trend, and life experiences are going to land you a spot somewhere. I just want to make sure you don't apply out of your range -- if that makes any sense.

Thanks for the advice. My PI, an emeritus professor at an Ivy League's medical school, told me the same thing this week.

He thinks I should apply to schools that want diversity. I agree. I'm curious which schools will send me a secondary... that actually screen for secondaries. I'm turning down some of the ones you mentioned, Cincinnati, and Miami, plus a few more based on automatic secondaries or price.

Last edited:
Hey guys new to the forum, long time lurker though. Just wanted to get anyones opinion on doing a Biochem Class and possibly some sort of Hematology or Physio over the summer at Harvard or Georgetown. I know a couple Universities offer open enrollment during the summer for these classes, by Georgetown is application only. I'm considering doing the Georgetown SMP after I graduate from undergrad (2 years), but I think the average accepted gpa is a 3.0 minimum. Would doing the summer classes at Georgetown or Harvard increase my chances of being accepted to the Post-Bacc? Is it even worth going cross country? (I'm from CA).

Long story short, I was dismissed from a university out of state, and also failed a bunch of classes at a CC in said state. Then I transferred back home, been doing well with my class, mostly A's. Worked my way up through all the pre-reqs for the Sciences, and currently taking BIO I, a Neuroscience Research class, and a Biological Stats course at my CC. Applying for the 4-year here in the Fall (which means I wont attend there until NEXT fall). My CC fall schedule is Chem I, BIO II, and maybe Physio (don't want to overload my sciences) and Philosophy (heard it helps with verbal MCAT section and the professor is awesome anyways). All my other Gen-Eds are complete, so just focusing on my major courses before I transfer to the 4-year (Neuroscience and Physiology Major)..

I'm going to calculate my GPA with that 4-points app that was posted then edit what I have but I'm currently sitting on a ~2.3 cGPA and with straight A's until I graduate I believe the projected cGPA is a ~2.8. Haven't taken the MCAT obviously, and still have a long way to go with all those past failed classes especially. I want this more than anything and I've totally changed my study habits and personal life. I was never the kid to sit in the front of the room, and now I'm a huge nerd with my sciences. It feels good to be doing well and change things around, but in the back of my mind my past just eats away at me. I wish I could go back and just beat the hell out of my 18 year old self and say "STOP PARTYING NO PUT DOWN THAT BEER!!! GO STUDY WHAT ARE YOU DOING!??" But now at 21 (22 this month), I'm working my ass off for what I want and I have to say reading through all these threads in Non-trad has made me not feel alone and you guys have inspired me even more!

So here is what I believe my stats currently stand at and I'll update it in abit:
cGPA= 2.3 (currently) projected cGPA=2.8
EC's= Intern at a Hospital rotating through different departments, Approx. 250 hours so far.
Work part-time on campus at my CC, 25 hours a week. :)

Hey guys new to the forum, long time lurker though. Just wanted to get anyones opinion on doing a Biochem Class and possibly some sort of Hematology or Physio over the summer at Harvard or Georgetown. I know a couple Universities offer open enrollment during the summer for these classes, by Georgetown is application only. I'm considering doing the Georgetown SMP after I graduate from undergrad (2 years), but I think the average accepted gpa is a 3.0 minimum. Would doing the summer classes at Georgetown or Harvard increase my chances of being accepted to the Post-Bacc? Is it even worth going cross country? (I'm from CA).

Long story short, I was dismissed from a university out of state, and also failed a bunch of classes at a CC in said state. Then I transferred back home, been doing well with my class, mostly A's. Worked my way up through all the pre-reqs for the Sciences, and currently taking BIO I, a Neuroscience Research class, and a Biological Stats course at my CC. Applying for the 4-year here in the Fall (which means I wont attend there until NEXT fall). My CC fall schedule is Chem I, BIO II, and maybe Physio (don't want to overload my sciences) and Philosophy (heard it helps with verbal MCAT section and the professor is awesome anyways). All my other Gen-Eds are complete, so just focusing on my major courses before I transfer to the 4-year (Neuroscience and Physiology Major)..

I'm going to calculate my GPA with that 4-points app that was posted then edit what I have but I'm currently sitting on a ~2.3 cGPA and with straight A's until I graduate I believe the projected cGPA is a ~2.8. Haven't taken the MCAT obviously, and still have a long way to go with all those past failed classes especially. I want this more than anything and I've totally changed my study habits and personal life. I was never the kid to sit in the front of the room, and now I'm a huge nerd with my sciences. It feels good to be doing well and change things around, but in the back of my mind my past just eats away at me. I wish I could go back and just beat the hell out of my 18 year old self and say "STOP PARTYING NO PUT DOWN THAT BEER!!! GO STUDY WHAT ARE YOU DOING!??" But now at 21 (22 this month), I'm working my ass off for what I want and I have to say reading through all these threads in Non-trad has made me not feel alone and you guys have inspired me even more!

So here is what I believe my stats currently stand at and I'll update it in abit:
cGPA= 2.3 (currently) projected cGPA=2.8
EC's= Intern at a Hospital rotating through different departments, Approx. 250 hours so far.
Work part-time on campus at my CC, 25 hours a week. :)

Howdy fren!

Have you retaken all your F/D/C classes so far? And what is your science gpa?

Biochem would be great to take, and then the upper division Bio classes. At 21, you're at much more mature place now than alot of your peers, and more so than I was at 21. It will only be to your benefit when it comes time to apply for med school.

I haven't been able to find any definitive info on this yet -- Does anyone know any info about how you can get past automatic uGPA screens even if you have a 4.0 from post-bacc or SMP? Is the answer just that you can't? What is the point of doing an SMP in those cases? Don't you need a live person with eyes who can see that you even have further coursework?

I haven't been able to find any definitive info on this yet -- Does anyone know any info about how you can get past automatic uGPA screens even if you have a 4.0 from post-bacc or SMP? Is the answer just that you can't? What is the point of doing an SMP in those cases? Don't you need a live person with eyes who can see that you even have further coursework?

Post-bach work (including smp) will count as part of your undergrad work/GPA.

That is the point of contention around here about smp's. They are expensive and you can do the same thing for less at your local college/CC

But one great thing about some smp's is that they can be a Backdoor way to get accepted into an affiliated med school

Post-bach work (including smp) will count as part of your undergrad work/GPA.

That is the point of contention around here about smp's. They are expensive and you can do the same thing for less at your local college/CC

But one great thing about some smp's is that they can be a Backdoor way to get accepted into an affiliated med school

Hang on... unless something changed in the last couple of months, SMPs are always graduate classes, not post-bacs. All true SMPs have 0 effect on your undergraduate GPA and I can confirm this via my AMCAS record.

@ymmit, I understand your concern about having an uGPA (either sGPA or cGPA) below 3.0, and there are schools which WILL screen you out using that or some similar cutoff, but my understanding is that they are usually 1st tier or public schools where you'd be considered OOS (i.e. you probably wouldn't be applying to these MD schools in any case.)

If your GPA is sort of close to 3.0 mark (like say 2.8-3.0 ish) and you can get into a legitimate SMP, which isn't easy with a sub-3.0 undergrad, I think you'd be well-advised to move on and just do all you can to nail that program. A close friend and one of the best students in my SMP class had a sub-3.0 undergrad GPA and had many interviews and multiple MD acceptances. Admittedly, none were Hopkins or Yale, but you work with what you got. Good luck to you guys.

Long story short, a 4.0 from a SMP WILL get you a second look from schools. It won't offset your undergrad GPA, but it will be enough to give you a chance to be considered and that's really all you can ask for. You'll just need to be smart and realistic about which schools to apply to.

Last edited:
Hang on... unless something changed in the last couple of months, SMPs are always graduate classes, not post-bacs. All true SMPs have 0 effect on your undergraduate GPA and I can confirm this via my AMCAS record.

True in that on the application service you will list graduate level classes separate from your undergrad.

At my local MD and DO school they average undergrad with graduate grades all together. Ofcourse that is in my case. Best to check with the schools you are applying to in how they view undergrad/ grad grades

True in that on the application service you will list graduate level classes separate from your undergrad.

At my local MD and DO school they average undergrad with graduate grades all together. Ofcourse that is in my case. Best to check with the schools you are applying to in how they view undergrad/ grad grades

I stand corrected then. I didn't know any MD schools that flat out averaged grades like that. Is this is a state school? Or does it take OOS as well. I'm sure there would be many people interested as these schools would be very attractive for someone who did well in a graduate program/SMP.

Well I guess I should add my story to this thread. 2.97 uGPA, 3.85 SMP GPA and 38 MCAT. Applied to over 40 schools, mainly MD with a handful of DO schools thrown in for good measures. AACOMAS gpa is a 3.1 though. Will definitely be an interesting year...

I stand corrected then. I didn't know any MD schools that flat out averaged grades like that. Is this is a state school? Or does it take OOS as well. I'm sure there would be many people interested as these schools would be very attractive for someone who did well in a graduate program/SMP.

Yes these are state schools.

So yeah it is best to check with each school you are applying to, to see how they combine/weigh undergrad / grad / smp Gpa's.

Happy hunting! :)

Well I guess I should add my story to this thread. 2.97 uGPA, 3.85 SMP GPA and 38 MCAT. Applied to over 40 schools, mainly MD with a handful of DO schools thrown in for good measures. AACOMAS gpa is a 3.1 though. Will definitely be an interesting year...

Best of luck to you! Keep us updated on the hunt!