Below 3.0 gpa Support Group/Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys! I started undergrad in 2009 had some bad grades lost financial aid and was told after completing summer session I would have to pay out of pocket. At that point I left school to work earn money to pay for my classes. Long story short I just finished paying them off this spring. I took classes at community college but didn't go to class. I deluded myself into thinking my cc grades did not count. I have been admitted for spring semester on a wing and a prayer at my local 4yr uni, my gpa from my first school was a 2.24. My f's from cc brought it to below a 2.0 so I had to be admitted as a continuing ed student. After transferring my credits I only have 59 of 64 credits of which are from a different school in the same state school system but whatever.
My question is if I just finish my degree-psych 61 credits left, then do pre-reqs post bacc would that be enough with upward trend in gpa?
I would prefer to not do a smp but instead do an accelerated bsn program then finish my pre-reqs and apply after working for a year or so.
I say that because I currently work for a local hospital system (mental health tech) and know for a fact that if I needed to work during med school as a nurse I could do prn with maybe 8 hours mandatory and pick up shifts if I want.
What do you guys suggest?

That is a long, winded road that seems completely unnecessary to meet your end-goal. It is difficult to tell what would be enough to boost your GPA without sitting down and plugging your classes and grades, one by one, into a spreadsheet, and running calculations for future possibilities. I would highly suggest leaving nursing alone. It will not be as useful to you as you might think. All reputable agencies and hospitals that hire nurses PRN require at least a year of recent experience, which you will not have. Accelerated nursing programs are highly competitive depending on where you are. Those that aren't are too expensive and not worth getting into debt for, in my opinion. Nursing classes are not BCPM, and getting As on NCLEX-type tests are a challenge, specially with your track record.

I would suggest finishing up your degree with nothing but As while taking pre-reqs (if time permits). Prioritize getting As over finishing up fast. Consider AACOMAS' grade replacement policy. Once you're comfortable with your study habits, your GPA, and your MCAT, start applying. Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad.

How is the semester going for everyone? Just about 4 weeks left!
It's been very busy. Chem 2 was going alright then it hit me like a ton of bricks with Thermochemistry (he taught us an entire chapter on it 2 dayrs before the exam). Bio 2 doing well, Trig ehh could be better, and Sociology has me laughing to an A :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Getting stressed studying for the MCAT- Just calculated my AAMC average and it's a 25 :(
I'm going to try and stay positive (test day is this Saturday)...this is my only shot for this test since I used up all my vacation time to study and have done everything I can to prepare. I had a high score of 29 so maybe it's possible that I can score around there.

How long did you give yourself to study? I had to study for the entire summer and ended up with a 28 (totally could have got a 30+ with a different physics section :mad:). I'd be worried that you're averaging a 25, but there are miracle stories out there and you might end up one of them. Be sure you know all the formulas you need by heart!!

It's not as good as I would have hoped but it's definitely not bad compared to how bad I used to be. I aced my first neuro exam by studying until 4 in the morning then tried to do it a second time for both neuro and pharm and got a 72 on both. I know that kind of **** isn't going to fly in med school anyway, so I've been working this week to make my study guide *before* the test instead of trying to make it all and memorize it the night before. My grades aren't ruined by any means, but I definitely want to step it up since I know even more will be expected of me in the future. I'd rather correct my bad habits now versus then.

Overall considering I went from a semester of failing almost all of my classes, to another of passing all my classes (barely in some cases), to not having a single C is a pretty good feeling right now. Maybe I shouldn't complain. :)

I've had a lot of trouble staying focused this semester but I have managed to keep up. I'm just really over taking business courses. I finally get to restart my pre-reqs next semester though and I'm quite looking forward to it.

accepted to my first MD program, had 2 other II's waiting to hear the results for. Don't give up hope, i finished college with a 2.9 then went to a masters program. PM me if you want more details.

Reactions: 5 users
I read someone say on here one time-- If you really want to be a doctor, your chances are actually 100%. Because no matter what, you're not going to give up.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for keeping that quote alive. I just failed out of nursing school over a really crazy process of which the details are not overly important. I basically failed a validation 5 days before then end of the semester but it was a little bit of an unfair situation in my opinion. I had a 3.0 gpa and I love the sciences and math, but this zero really brought down my gpa. It kind of made me reevaluate my life it was. As I said, due to a really crazy process where I was looking at a 3 years wait to finish my last two semesters of nursing classes. Then my girlfriend and a lot of my friends kind of left me it really sucked. I am currently thinking about med school a lot. I really consider myself to be someone who has a heart for helping others but I am really intimidated by med school and all the applicants who are 3.75+ students. Just seeing that quote right there was just something that was at the right place for me, so for that I just wanted to say thank you.

Chemistry is what made me give up in the first place, and I'm really liking chem now! Not a fan of precalc ha, but I'm pulling through. Happy with my performance so far. :)

accepted to my first MD program, had 2 other II's waiting to hear the results for. Don't give up hope, i finished college with a 2.9 then went to a masters program. PM me if you want more details.

So inspirational - congrats!!!

Rant: For some reason this semester, I have multiple professors who are way behind on grading and it is making me paranoid. In one course, 70% of our grade is based on written assignments, and only 1 out of the 7 assignments has been graded. I'm done with this course and I have no idea what my final grade is going to be. I need to feed into my compulsive desire to track every percentage point to ensure I get an A.

hey guys i need some advice.

so like most of you I didn't try hard my first degree. so im doing a second degree and trying to apply with that. so far i think im doing ok (A average) in nutritional sciences. my first degree was science. also i had a terrible health condition (i still do, itchy skin) in my first degree also which is permanent and a daily problem. im still trying right now (even though that problem is boggy me down every day) and hopefully ill get in med.

so my question is, because i did a science degree most of my credits carried over to this new degree. the year before i applied to the 2nd degree, they accepted a couple of my sciences upper levels. but the year after i got in, the changed their policy and rejected them. the whole point of doing nutritional sciences was that i finish it in 2 years. because these new core courses that i have to take replace the rejected courses doesnt fit my schedule in a 2 day span, i may have to an extra year (or term). but its just 1 extra course and they dont offer it in the summer. with the second degree, most of the canadian schools want a full course load. my question is, do i have take an extra term with 5 courses? its not that i dont want, but its a complete waste for me in terms of money. it doesnt do anything towards my degree. will they accept with 1 course in one term?

please advise! this is for canadian schools (and american if possible). UBC student

Graduated from college in 1997: GPA: 2.57
Graduated from Graduate school in 2007: GPA: 3.7
Graduated from Medical School in 2011.
Graduated Internal Medicine Residency in 2014
Now a Critical Care Fellow

Can it be done? Yes. Will it be hard? You betcha!!, Will it take time? yup.

First thing is figure out what happened that you did not succeed in college. Then find a way to fix it. Without that first part, then you will be doomed to repeat past mistakes. Don't be so proud that you do not get help with school work, go to a tutor, or be anal about your schedule. Do not even think about the MCAT until your grades are taken care of. Focus on one step at a time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone, I wanted your opinion, as all of us seem to be in the same boat. please not soul crushing opinions, I am my worst judge, and that is what keeps me in an eternal limbo.
Last spring I finished my biology degree and due to many things my gpa is nowhere desirable to go to med school. I was thinking to try for a master but I am so affraid to be rejected because of my gpa that I have not even attempted it. Also, I have tried to get a job as an research assistant but they require 2 yrs of experience and so far, I havent got any call backs. Due to all these, I am considering retaking several classes to raise my gpa, my overall gpa is 2.95 and my science gpa is 2.5.
I did some calculations and even if I retake 13 classes, my science gpa would only go up to 3.2 and maybe 3.5, so I don't know if it is worth all that time and sacrifice. Also, I was considering taking most if not all of the classes thru an online university (it is one of the good ones here in Canada) but I don't know if they would be considered for applications. I just can't afford to be full time again in school right now.

ideas? suggestions? I have given up on the idea of going to med school many times but now I want to try for DO and I really thing is what I am meant to be. I know that it will take a lot of effort, so I want to be prepared mentally for the path ahead.

thank you!!

Eternally confused, you should look into the AACOMAS grade replacement policy. A DO program is definitely within reach if you can retake some of the science courses which you did not do so well in. Rather than average your old GPA with your new one by weight of credit hours, you can have entire grades replaced.

You may also consider applying to a post-bacc program like LECOM, which sets you up for matriculation into their DO program.

As an aside, you will be well positioned to get some sort of unpaid research position if you take science courses at a state university.

Well, ended up with a 25 on the mcat. Not great but not horrible either since I am applying only to DO schools. PS 7, VR 10, and BS 8. So not too sure what to do with this score. It meets the minimums at the DO schools I am applying to in June, so apart of me wants to retake with the new mcat in the summer and another part of me doesn't want to have anything to do with the mcat ever again!

You may also consider applying to a post-bacc program like LECOM, which sets you up for matriculation into their DO program.

As an aside, you will be well positioned to get some sort of unpaid research position if you take science courses at a state university.

I am going to to look into the LECOM program. iIn regards to a unpaid research position, in Canada there aren't many of those, at least in the past of the country where I live.

thanks for the info :)

Hi Guys, long time lurker, finally got a terrible username (I dont know what possessed me) and I am coming out.

Almost 23 years old, just graduated from UC Riverside with a B.A in Political Science

sgpa = 2.21, overall 2.68

No kids, live at home with my parents, I am starting my informal post bac at UCI in the spring.

When I came to UCR I was seriously depressed and I didnt know what to do with my life leading to me failing calc twice and getting kicked out of my major (Biochem) and having to do political science instead. In my delusion that I was still going to be a doctor no matter what I kept taking science courses even though I did poorly in almost all of them getting mostly C's and a handful of B's.

Realizing that something was terribly wrong I took a year off to become and EMT and discover why I wanted to do medicine. When I came back my grades slowly started to take an upturn until I finally started discovering what a student was like last quarter with a 3.26. Over summer I toook microbiology and immunology at UCI and got a 3.7 (A- in both classes) and this quarter I believe I will get a 3.9.

My plan for med school is to just take as many upper div classes and retake some of my lower div failures such as gen chem and ochem. I just want to get in anywhere at this point and interact with patients in a more meaningful and more in depth way.

If anyone has any other advice for me, I would totally welcome it, and good luck to all of you who are trying to get in like me.

Well 9 more credits of retakes done and over with. Earned the highest grade percentage I have ever received, in Gen. Chem of a 95% (yeah yeah humble brag). The As I have made before were always border line, like 89.6, 90.5, 91, etc etc.

Really excited to have this fall semester done. One more to go before June 1st!

Good luck to you all for finals!

Well 9 more credits of retakes done and over with. Earned the highest grade percentage I have ever received, in Gen. Chem of a 95% (yeah yeah humble brag). The As I have made before were always border line, like 89.6, 90.5, 91, etc etc.

Really excited to have this fall semester done. One more to go before June 1st!

Good luck to you all for finals!

Hey UnderDog! Freaking love your thread! Longtime lurker and poster before my account got deleted. I just wanna congratulate you on your success. I actually have decided to retake gen Chen and I have to ask what you did differently?? Did you use any supplemental material or just do the assigned problems?

I have to honestly say that this semester was a big slap in the face. This was my first semester doing post bac and on top of that my first time juggling a fulltime job and I'm pretty upset with the results. Had to withdrawal from one class because I couldn't handle the load successfully and now I'm probably going to walk out of gen Chen with a C :(. I've come to the realization that I can no longer shy away from the stuff that is difficult because it really came back to bite me in the butt. It sucks having to face your demons....

My AACOMAS sGPA was in the 2.7's when I graduated from college but with some grad school courses and a couple of re-takes, it shot up to the 3.4's.

Grade replacement is your friend!
Hey I know you posted this over a year ago, but I was curious how your grad gpa got factored in AACOMAS? Do schools go by the overall gpa (with grad gpa included) when filtering applicants to interview or do they look at the u.gpa more so. Thanks! This gives me some hope.

Hey I know you posted this over a year ago, but I was curious how your grad gpa got factored in AACOMAS? Do schools go by the overall gpa (with grad gpa included) when filtering applicants to interview or do they look at the u.gpa more so. Thanks! This gives me some hope.
As far as I remember, my AACOMAS GPA was calculated to include both undergrad and grad school courses.

Hi All,
First time posting here. Based on my calculation and categorization of classes, I have a sGPA 2.7 and cumulative GPA 2.92 from a large state school (BS Kinesiology, 2007). Have a 3.7 GPA from a top 25 private school (MS Health Systems Administration, 2011). All of my BCPM classes and labs (totaling 61 credits) range from A to C.

I am contemplating retaking four of my science classes with Cs (GenChem 2, OChem 1 and 2, and Physics 2), but I realize this will really only help with AACOMAS GPA given that AMCAS GPA will just average the grades. Would I be better off getting a post-bacc degree? I do not have a preference for MD or DO; I'd rather make my application as attractive as possible to the greatest number of medical schools.

One other thing to consider: Given that I received Cs in the aforementioned classes and I took them in 2006/2007, I would need a refresher. Would something like the Princeton Review be enough to review the principles, or should I consider this a bit more in making my decision as to whether to pursue a post-bacc?

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions.

Has anyone gotten accepted into formal and good post bacc. programs with an undergrad GPA <3.0? Thanks for your help! - H

Has anyone gotten accepted into formal and good post bacc. programs with an undergrad GPA <3.0? Thanks for your help! - H

Not a post-bacc but I got into the Biomedical Sciences masters programs at PCOM, PCOM-GA and Rutgers-Newark (NJMS) with a <3.0

Not a post-bacc but I got into the Biomedical Sciences masters programs at PCOM, PCOM-GA and Rutgers-Newark (NJMS) with a <3.0

Just curious. . .re: SAT and GRE--or did you just run if off of MCAT?

Reason I say this is < 3.0, that seems rare, given how much attention these kinds of programs have gotten--some of them are competitive.

Just curious. . .re: SAT and GRE--or did you just run if off of MCAT?

Reason I say this is < 3.0, that seems rare, given how much attention these kinds of programs have gotten--some of them are competitive.

Applied with a 26 MCAT, didn't take the GRE and I didn't send SAT scores. I'm probably a bit of an exception, I do have pretty good ECs and had a great essay and recommendations, and a bit of luck. I also got rejected from Rowan and RWJMS. And I'm a NJ resident, I'm sure that helped.

Applied with a 26 MCAT, didn't take the GRE and I didn't send SAT scores. I'm probably a bit of an exception, I do have pretty good ECs and had a great essay and recommendations, and a bit of luck. I also got rejected from Rowan and RWJMS. And I'm a NJ resident, I'm sure that helped.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't look on the PCOM pages, but hopefully, you will do well in the BioS, and move into PCOM.

Good luck!

As far as I remember, my AACOMAS GPA was calculated to include both undergrad and grad school courses.

Hmmm, that seems different. I thought the calc was pretty much undergrad. They will look at grad, but separately--at least that is the information I was given.

Raised my cGPA from a 2.9xx (failed OChem II, Physics II and got a C in Cell Bio; this wasn't because the classes were tough. I was bipolar, depressed, high anxiety and was not going to any of my classes.).

I retook all my bad classes and got As in them all.

Currently, my cGPA is a 3.41xx

I will graduate in 2016 spring. So I'm hoping to finish with a 3.6.

Reactions: 1 users
Hmmm, that seems different. I thought the calc was pretty much undergrad. They will look at grad, but separately--at least that is the information I was given.
Try filling in the application on AACOMAS and see what happens.

Final's done.
Biochem : A (99 % sure)

I'm not really sure what to take next semester. My trusted mentor advise me to take whatever interesting to me. I took all the series and got As in them. I got a bunch of C in non science classes ( 9 years ago) but I want to take upper sciences classes. I need to make my decision by next week. :(

Hi. I'm 30 years old and beginning to question my career choice. I'm currently a software engineer and majored in Computer Science in undergrad. I've kind of lost my passion for it, not that I hate it but I don't find the work fulfilling. I've also enrolled in an IT masters program part time thinking this may help reignite the flame I felt for technology when I started school.

I enjoy problem solving and am looking for something meaningful so I've started kicking around the idea of med school, even though my physician girlfriend says I'm out of my mind and not to do it, she's EM and is burnt out.

I graduated with a 2.9 GPA in undergrad, which I know hurts. However I don't have all the prereqs for med school. I'd probably go through them all(bio, chem, physics) to brush up before the MCAT instead of just the missing ones. Assuming I earn A's on in all the courses would that be enough to be considered for an MD or DO program or is this just a pipe dream? Also, does anyone know if schools consider non required math in the science GPA? For example I took linear algebra, which isn't a prereq, would that grade be included in the science GPA? Is science GPA weighed more heavily than cumulative GPA? I've got a 3.6 in my master's program now, would that help my odds or would it be ignored?

I'd of course need to spend some time shadowing and volunteering to get that experience, and also to be sure this is the path I want to go down but I'm wondering from everyone's experiences if this is even worth looking into.

Also, for the folks who are a little older, what are you experiences in med school and residency with family life? My girlfriend and I are pretty serious and will probably be getting married and starting a family in the next few years. Is this doable?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Hey DJD. You have a lot of different academic concerns, but what it all comes down to is that your undergraduate GPA is not sufficient. The graduate GPA is nice, but does nothing to redeem you since most graduate programs are considered to be rather subjective in their grading. Med school coursework is similar to undergraduate coursework, so that's what they want to see you perform well on. If you had a high undergraduate GPA, you might be an easy recommendation for a formal post-bacc program that is designed for career changers. Unfortunately you're not in that situation really.

You still need to get your overall GPA up quite a bit in order to be competitive for an MD program. Most would recommend that you take a year or two of the standard prereqs + upper division science courses and give a very strong performance to overcome your past issues. This may bring your GPA up into the 3-3.4 range, which is still not competitive. At that point you might consider an SMP.

Also: Science GPA and overall GPA are both important, but it's really nice to be able to get yourself to a high science GPA more easily.

Science GPA counts any class that can be specified as Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or Math (BCPM) so your linear algebra course would certainly count.

I would spend some time reading the forum if I were you. There are a lot of people who have been in a similar position before.

You should spend a day reading the hundreds of stickied posts & posts from sr. members like gyngyn, goro, drmidlife, robflanker, cabinbuilder, etc.

MD schools calculate aoGPA (all other), BCPM GPA and cGPA. BCPM is all bio, chem, physics, math, not just pre-reqs. They have total for each year (fr, so, jr, sr) and total UG GPA and Grad GPA separate. DO schools calculate otherGPA, sGPA and cGPA. They total each year, but they lump all ug and grad together in their total GPA. DO also uses grade replacement for retakes. So your 2.9 can easily change to 3.3+ if the course is equal or greater in credit hours. You can read the nuances of grade replacement in the pre-DO sub-forum. DO would be your fastest path to med school.

Most schools will focus on your UG cGPA and sGPA. Some don't care about Grad, some will look at your last 90 credits, etc.

More importantly is to spend a day with your GF in the ER to see if this is really what you want to do. I know a lot of smart people who changed their minds after their time in the ER.

Thanks for the replies. I've read up on the grade replacement of DO schools and it does seem like that would be the quickest option at this point, but at least 2 years before I could get all the pre-reqs out of the way plus volunteering and of course seeing if this would even be something I'd want to pursue.

I've heard her talk about some of her experiences dealing with patients, insurance, and even other physicians. I'm sure she'll try to talk me out of it, but she'll support me if I decide I want to go this route. She's a great girl.

Again, thanks for the replies. Its awesome that there is a place like this to educate people and share information. Really useful.

Finished Fall semester with a cGPA of 3.429

:)

on my way to a 3.6!

4.0 fall semester raised my cGPA to 2.92. Next semester I may finally crack 3.0.

Great job you GPA boosters. I hope I can say the same at the end of my first semester returning to school in May.

Hey guys just wanted to let you all know that I have a 2.7 cGPA and 2.87 sGPA and was accepted my an MD program last week. It's possible with hard work, great ECs, and luck! (But remember Luck=preparation+opportunity!!). Happy Holidays!!

Reactions: 3 users
HinduHammer: can you tell us your story?

Your path from undergrad to gaining MD acceptance!

Sure connerm. Can you be more specific about what you'd like to know? Like, it all started on a warm summer day in 1985...?
Did you do a SMP or did you have any extenuating circumstances? Or maybe donate enough money to rename the institution to the Hindu Hammer School of Medicine? :)

Your path from undergrad to gaining MD acceptance!

Hmm give me a day or so to write this out and phrase it appropriately...I have had a long, interesting path that's for sure.

Did you do a SMP or did you have any extenuating circumstances? Or maybe donate enough money to rename the institution to the Hindu Hammer School of Medicine? :)

Haha...extenuating is an interesting word, but I guess I would say No. Did I have challenges to overcome? Yes. Were they outside of my control like health problems or something? No.

To make a long story short @Gordon Gekko , the thing I really did was personal growth demonstrated by evidence and removing any doubt about my academic credentials by doing good on the MCAT and doing 2+ years of solid 4.00 post-bacc work including Orgo 2 and biochem etc etc. But I'll respond more later...now must beat traffic and watch Christmas TV, er, celebrate Christmas with my family....er...watch Christmas TV....

Hmm give me a day or so to write this out and phrase it appropriately...I have had a long, interesting path that's for sure.

Haha...extenuating is an interesting word, but I guess I would say No. Did I have challenges to overcome? Yes. Were they outside of my control like health problems or something? No.

To make a long story short @Gordon Gekko , the thing I really did was personal growth demonstrated by evidence and removing any doubt about my academic credentials by doing good on the MCAT and doing 2+ years of solid 4.00 post-bacc work including Orgo 2 and biochem etc etc. But I'll respond more later...now must beat traffic and watch Christmas TV, er, celebrate Christmas with my family....er...watch Christmas TV....
Thanks. I read your MDApps Profile. Impressive ECs and redemption story. Enjoy the Holidays.

I feel the need to post an update about where I'm currently at in life and with my progress towards applying to medical school.

2015 is the year I plan to start doing post-bachelor classes, hopefully this summer if I'm not able to enroll in any this spring. I've been trying for the last year to study for the MCAT but it's ended up being that it has gotten rescheduled twice, with the current date set for Jan 10th but am not feeling confident for it at all. This last year was one of change with full-time job hunting, which I finally managed last August but my schedule changes every week, as did my MCAT study schedule so effective studying ended up not taking place. I'm planning to void my test score when I go in to take it on the 10th and plan for the new MCAT. Things with my job will settle after January and be much less stressful come the spring and summer during the slower part of the year so I am hoping to start doing more with volunteering and work towards becoming better prepared for the MCAT then and look at what classes to take on in the summer.

I otherwise love this thread for the inspiration that it brings ,knowing that others that have been in my shoes have made it. Well done to everyone that gained an acceptance over the last year and my best wishes go out to those that are still working towards the goal.

there's always Caribbean med schools left for you brahs

High Five to you guys!! I just broke 3.0 this semester after getting a 3.8 (All A's but no +'s so no 4.0 for me :-( Bah humbug) Now to do this again like 6 more times until I finish my bio degree, easy peasy right? The good news is, all I have left is upper level science classes, so my sGPA is going to kick butt!