Below 3.0 gpa Support Group/Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
High Five to you guys!! I just broke 3.0 this semester after getting a 3.8 (All A's but no +'s so no 4.0 for me :-( Bah humbug) Now to do this again like 6 more times until I finish my bio degree, easy peasy right? The good news is, all I have left is upper level science classes, so my sGPA is going to kick butt!
If you got all A, that is a 4.0 per AMCAS/AACOMAS.

Members don't see this ad.

So I'll get things started here

Almost 27 years old.

ACCOMAS cgpa = 2.54, sgpa= 2.1, non-science = 2.85

No kids, single, live alone with my dog, work part time, volunteer at two different organizations, and now I am retaking classes part time

I finished all of my undergrad degree requirements in the spring so I wanted to get my diploma/graduate and then stay at my university as a post-bach But my school has this goofy policy have only allowing non-degree seeking students to only be allowed to take classes for 2 semesters then no more.

So my advisor basically told me to just file for graduation whenever I get accepted to grad school. I can keep taking as many classes as I want/need for as along as I want. I just can't apply for graduation lol. I could graduate then seek another degree but then I would have to be taking more classes I don't need.

So technically I can't call my self a post-bach but I have finished all my degree requirements. All there is to do now is start retaking all my F classes and work my way up through the C's...

My schedule looks like this:

Summer 2013: Microbiology- 3 credits
Ochem Lab- 2 credits

Fall 2013: Microbiology Lab- 2 credits
History of Science- 3 credits
Genetics - 3 credits

Spring 2014: Immunology - 3 credits
Ecology - 3 credits
Algebra&Trig - 4 credits

Summer 2014: Ochem 1 - 3 credits
Ochem 2- 3 credits

I know there are more than several of us out there lurking on the forum that have below a 3.0 gpa. I thought it would be good idea for us to have our own support group/thread to support each other on our journey to repairing our low gpa's and gaining admission to med school.

Many threads around here can be so competitive and imitating it makes it hard for us to come out of the shadows and really discuss things and get support and advice. There's nothing for us to be judgmental or ashamed about.

What matters is that we've owned up to our mistakes from the past and learned from them. We might have been in a bad place before but now we are in a much better place. We've learned from the mistakes and we don't let them define who we are now.

So I'm creating this thread so we can come here to discuss things as openly as you want or don't want. There's no need to get specific if you don't want to. Its totally anonymous but it is suppose to be supportive. I like the old adage, "Rising tides raise all ships"

So come here, we can discuss plan's of action to repairing our gpa's, mcat studying strategies, volunteering, working, research, relationships, life experiences, past experiences, etc.

Or if you just need to vent.

I know it seems like an impossible climb we have to go but it can be done. We only have 1 life to live on this planet so why not make it a good one and go after the things you want to accomplish...?

I refuse to accept any notion of giving up, no matter how some may say its a delusional dream that won't ever happen.

Everyone deserves a second chance. At-least I believe so. And it seems more and more med schools are also today.

So for those who have less than a 3.0 gpa, come here and make a pact with each other and yourself. If med school is really what you want, then you will make a pact with each other that we won't let each other give up nor give up on ourselves.

Soon enough we will be posting success stories of getting accepted into med school and we'll look back on this and be amazed on fast the time flew by and smile because it'll all be worth it...

Fall 2014: Gen. Biology I - 4 credits
Gen. Chem I - 5 credits

Spring 2015: Physics I - 4 credits

Summer 2015: Physics II - 4 credits

After that I don't know what else to take. I'll have every F and C replaced except Spanish I which is 5 credits....

I take the mcat this September 12th. So I know I need to score really really well on it....

Hey! quick question for you/anyone reading this... i currently have a low GPA as well, but I'm graduating in a year. Theres no way I can bring it up to med school quality so after i graduate I'm coming back home to retake my low classes etc. I was wondering...does med school look at my new gpa or my old one or both? thanks.

btw you are the best for making this feed! lol

hey guys! big question I'm pretty confused about that i need to figure out asap!

i have a low GPA at the school i will be graduating from in a couple semesters. It is out of state, expensive, and HARD. so, once i graduate, I'm coming back home and retaking courses and also boosting my gpa with a few other classes.

my question is...
will another school count as a whole new GPA? or will it be averaged in with my other schools gpa? Im trying to get into and MD school without having to do SMP.

thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am still in undergrad, age 21 but I'll be finished in December. Taking summer classes right now (genetics and genetics lab) and classes in the fall (Microbio, microbio lab, intro to biochem, and stats). As of this moment my sGPA is 2.5 and my overall is a 3.06. I'm trying to work my butt off as hard as possible so I can get As in these last science classes to salvage all that I can of my GPA. The plan after undergrad is to take post-bac classes, study for the MCAT like mad and hopefully start in 2016 at the latest! I technically don't know if this is the right thread since I'm still in undergrad but my sGPA is definitely below a 3.0.

im in a similar boat as you right now...best of luck to you!

Hey guys,

So its been a while since I've been on. Things have been busy with the SMP I was in combined with applications and interviews. That being said, I'd like to share my low GPA experience with everyone as many people in my SMP have found my thoughts on the matter useful.

Background: I was an economics major at Vanderbilt and graduated with a dazzling 2.9 cGPA with a sGPA (because we were forced to take some science classes) of 2.3. Ventured off into the working world and hated cubicles and finance in general and decided to do a post-bac and go to med school. I got a 3.9 in the post-bac which brought my cGPA to a 3.2 and sGPA to a 3.4, so still nothing stellar there but it was an improvement. I got a very nice mcat score but I applied with a sloppy, rushed (and late) application without a single interview coming of it. I applied to a SMP very shortly after I realized I'd have to try again. After being accepted to the SMP, I applied again to roughly 30 schools. I ended up with 9 interviews (due to submitting my application on the first day and making sure the application itself was beyond polished). And to make a long story short, my medical school orientation begins on Monday.

The point: Low GPAs can be overcome. Apply broadly, own your past, and explain how you are a different person than the one who got the low GPA. Make your application sparking, prepare for your interviews, and above all, show the schools the passion for medicine that made you turn your life around to pursue it as a career. If you do that, you'll be better off than most I assure you.

Best of luck to everyone this cycle.

-cj8

would u mind sharing your mcat score? i have similar stats as you.

hey guys! big question I'm pretty confused about that i need to figure out asap!

i have a low GPA at the school i will be graduating from in a couple semesters. It is out of state, expensive, and HARD. so, once i graduate, I'm coming back home and retaking courses and also boosting my gpa with a few other classes.

my question is...
will another school count as a whole new GPA? or will it be averaged in with my other schools gpa? Im trying to get into and MD school without having to do SMP.

thank you!

It will all get averaged together

Hello All - Back here at SDN after some months. I work full-time and took a combined Chem 1 & 2 lab, Physics 1 class, and Physics lab. I received an A+ in the Chem1/2 lab and an A in Physics 1 class and lab.

My DO gpa is now above 3.0 and my science GPA is 3.67 (with grade replacement). I still need to take OChem 1/2 and Physics 2, plus perhaps Biochem and/or genetics.

Any semester could be my last - the end of this crazy run to attempt acceptance into medical school. But for now I will be happy with whatever small shred of hope that I have. I hope that everyone had a wonderful semester and holidays. Happy New Year!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys I have no news, but I want to say Happy New Year. With a new semesterr of classes about to begin I'm sending positive energy your way. Let's kick butt and earn some stellar grades!

Reactions: 3 users
My first week back in science classes is a kick back to reality about how difficult this path is. I'm taking Chem 2 and Bio 1, plus two fairly easy non-science classes. I'm not worried about Bio, but I took Chem 1 nine years ago so I have a lot to do to catch up on there. I'm excited for the challenge. It's like all this energy that I've had for years trying to figure out how to make it to med school, now I can just focus on my prereqs and get it done.

Hope everyone else is getting a good start to the semester.

It's possible to fix your GPA with hard work. Graduated with my B.S. having a 2.51 cGPA and lower sGPA. I spent the last 2 and a half years doing an extra 99 credit hours with a 3.98 in my post-bacc work (straight A's except a B+ in physics 2). I had so many credit hours that I only ended up around a 3.0 cGPA and sGPA, but i've gotten IIs to M.D. schools. It's a long road but with hard work you can make it.

Reactions: 8 users
Well got some studying done and just got my taxes filed....I already know I will be using my tax return on primary and secondary applications this summer, so I got that going for me...

It's possible to fix your GPA with hard work. Graduated with my B.S. having a 2.51 cGPA and lower sGPA. I spent the last 2 and a half years doing an extra 99 credit hours with a 3.98 in my post-bacc work (straight A's except a B+ in physics 2). I had so many credit hours that I only ended up around a 3.0 cGPA and sGPA, but i've gotten IIs to M.D. schools. It's a long road but with hard work you can make it.

Did you do a DIY or formal post-bacc? Also did you bother retaking lower div classes or were was much of the 99 from advanced/upper div science classes? Thanks

I can't recall if this has been addressed, but am looking for any advice. If I am able to apply in the future, it is very likely that my DO (grade replacement) sGPA will be substantially higher than my cGPA. For example, say sGPA = 3.7-3.8 and cGPA = 3.1 (my current progress is a few posts above). I have been looking around and it seems that most people are in an opposite situation, where the cGPA > sGPA. Unfortunately, this is the result of few science courses as an undergrad where the grades were not the best. How will this affect me with schools in the application process? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't recall if this has been addressed, but am looking for any advice. If I am able to apply in the future, it is very likely that my DO (grade replacement) sGPA will be substantially higher than my cGPA. For example, say sGPA = 3.7-3.8 and cGPA = 3.1 (my current progress is a few posts above). I have been looking around and it seems that most people are in an opposite situation, where the cGPA > sGPA. Unfortunately, this is the result of few science courses as an undergrad where the grades were not the best. How will this affect me with schools in the application process? Thanks!

Having that high sgpa should make you very competitive

I know that at the DO schools I am applying to, they look at sgpa at first; then upper division biological classes such as immunology, biochem, cell bio, physiology, microbiology, genetics, etc...

You should be good!

Hello! I've applied this cycle and I'm beginning to feel like I may not get in. Becoming a doctor is my dream and I don't want to give up but this process is very expensive and I don't know if I can go through another "failed" cycle.

For some background info, I'm 27, I'm a mother, graduated with cGPA 2.78 sGPA 2.52, got a Master's in Public Health GPA 3.54, currently finishing coursework in a Master of Biomedical Sciences program with a current GPA 3.4 and I expect to have a 3.6 by the time I graduate. The last time I took the MCAT in 2012 I got a 24.

I've had one interview so far and I was rejected. I have not had another interview invite and I'm getting nervous because it's February. I applied to MD and DO schools. I recently applied to 2 schools in the Caribbean.

Do you guys think I have a chance of getting in this cycle? I'm feeling so discouraged. I'm trying to stay positive and keep fighting for my dream but I really get down and out sometimes.

Thanks for any constructive advice.

Hello! I've applied this cycle and I'm beginning to feel like I may not get in. Becoming a doctor is my dream and I don't want to give up but this process is very expensive and I don't know if I can go through another "failed" cycle.

For some background info, I'm 27, I'm a mother, graduated with cGPA 2.78 sGPA 2.52, got a Master's in Public Health GPA 3.54, currently finishing coursework in a Master of Biomedical Sciences program with a current GPA 3.4 and I expect to have a 3.6 by the time I graduate. The last time I took the MCAT in 2012 I got a 24.

I've had one interview so far and I was rejected. I have not had another interview invite and I'm getting nervous because it's February. I applied to MD and DO schools. I recently applied to 2 schools in the Caribbean.

Do you guys think I have a chance of getting in this cycle? I'm feeling so discouraged. I'm trying to stay positive and keep fighting for my dream but I really get down and out sometimes.

Thanks for any constructive advice.
Don't go to the Caribbean is all I've got to say.

Reactions: 2 users
Don't go to the Caribbean is all I've got to say.

What is your opinion on the Caribbean schools? I can say the two schools I applied to do their 3rd and 4th yr in the states and you graduate with an MD. I don't know anyone who has attended school in the Caribbean so I would love some feedback.

Hmm give me a day or so to write this out and phrase it appropriately...I have had a long, interesting path that's for sure.

Haha...extenuating is an interesting word, but I guess I would say No. Did I have challenges to overcome? Yes. Were they outside of my control like health problems or something? No.

To make a long story short @Gordon Gekko , the thing I really did was personal growth demonstrated by evidence and removing any doubt about my academic credentials by doing good on the MCAT and doing 2+ years of solid 4.00 post-bacc work including Orgo 2 and biochem etc etc. But I'll respond more later...now must beat traffic and watch Christmas TV, er, celebrate Christmas with my family....er...watch Christmas TV....

I read in your MDApps that you took 50+ credit hours at a community college. Did you declare a degree path, such as Associate in Science? How did the school look upon that even though you had a bachelor degree? Basically, I am wondering what sort of classes were included in your 50+ hours and wonder if you were able to get financial aid for the associate degree even though you already had a bachelor.

What is your opinion on the Caribbean schools? I can say the two schools I applied to do their 3rd and 4th yr in the states and you graduate with an MD. I don't know anyone who has attended school in the Caribbean so I would love some feedback.

Yeah, def don't go yet. How many cycles have you applied? How many DO schools did you apply to? When was your DO primary submitted?

The thing about the Caribbean is that with the upcoming merger of the AOA and ACGME, the IMGs will be at a even more severe disadvantage.

But we need some more details to help you out. Also I would highly recommend to retake the mcat this summer. Do nothing but MCAT prep and take it in late July or early Aug.

Yeah, def don't go yet. How many cycles have you applied? How many DO schools did you apply to? When was your DO primary submitted?

The thing about the Caribbean is that with the upcoming merger of the AOA and ACGME, the IMGs will be at a even more severe disadvantage.

But we need some more details to help you out. Also I would highly recommend to retake the mcat this summer. Do nothing but MCAT prep and take it in late July or early Aug.

This is my 2nd AMCAS cycle and my 1st DO cycle. I applied to 10 DO schools and about 20 MD schools. My primary for AMCAS was submitted in July and AACOMAS in September.

I am definitely planning to retake the MCAT if I do not receive an acceptance by next month.

This is my 2nd AMCAS cycle and my 1st DO cycle. I applied to 10 DO schools and about 20 MD schools. My primary for AMCAS was submitted in July and AACOMAS in September.

I am definitely planning to retake the MCAT if I do not receive an acceptance by next month.

Gotcha.

Besides retaking your Mcat, apply June/July for DO school and apply to more. Also strongly consider retaking any science F/D/C grades earned. Give DO another shot before going Caribbean

Gotcha.

Besides retaking your Mcat, apply June/July for DO school and apply to more. Also strongly consider retaking any science F/D/C grades earned. Give DO another shot before going Caribbean

Thanks for the advice!

Good luck to everyone this semester! It's only been 3 weeks of class and my brain is in overdrive. Working full time while taking science classes part time is not an easy task. Keep up the hard work and never loose sight of your dreams!

3.08 GPA, here.

Early: 85 units at a 1.91 GPA
Late: 195 units at a 3.63 GPA
30R MCAT (12P/8V/10B; R)
B.S. Biochemistry (UCLA, 3.5 GPA); M.S. Pharmacology and Toxicology (UCD, 3.78 GPA).

After high school, I entered community college and accrued 85 units at a 1.91 GPA. After finding a job in patient care, I found passion for a career and earned 195 units at a 3.63 GPA. The early gpa was earned between 5 community colleges while working in labor and service for next to minimum wage and supporting a woman and her child financially.

I applied to 60 allopathic schools and 6 osteopathic schools for this 2014-2015 application cycle. I'm from a rural area and want to practice rurally. I didn't mark the disadvantaged checkbox on my applications, either. I worked as a nursing assistant for 4 years among other things. See my MDapps for more info, if you're curious.

I thought that I'd quote myself to assist others if they're in a similar position; I've had 3 allopathic interviews (1 waitlist, 1 rejection, 1 haven't heard back from) and attribute this to being persistent and writing good secondaries. I ended up sending in secondaries to ~ 35 allopathic schools (and all of the allopathic Texas medical schools). Texas ended up being a waste of time.

If I don't get in this cycle, I'm doing something research/degree/clinically oriented at a top 10 medical school and reapplying.

Last edited:
I thought that I'd quote myself to assist others if they're in a similar position; I've had 3 allopathic interviews (1 waitlist, 1 rejection, 1 haven't heard back from) and attribute this to being persistent and writing good secondaries. I ended up sending in secondaries to ~ 35 allopathic schools (and all of the allopathic Texas medical schools). Texas ended up being a waste of time.

If I don't get in this cycle, I'm doing something research/degree/clinically oriented at a top 10 medical school and reapply.

Hope something works for you on those 2!

If I don't get in this cycle, I'm doing something research/degree/clinically oriented at a top 10 medical school and reapplying.

Texas has extreme IS bias due to the state bill requiring any medical school that accepts state funding to have 90% of the freshman medical classes be composed of texas residents. And with the sheer number of excellent universities in texas, it isn't hard for them to find plenty of qualified texas applicants.

Update: took mcat last October and scored a 21 (6/9/6)
Devastated to say the least. Found the motivation to push through, sat on the computer for two hours clicking refresh and nabbed one of the last test dates in January 2015. Got the score today- 26 7/10/9. I'm so happy and relieved. It's not the best score but it's above the goal I set for at least a 24!

Reactions: 7 users
A lot of schools automatically send out secondaries, both M.D. and D.O. They are more than happy to take your money and "holistically" review your application, but if your GPA is a problem, you need to do everything in your power to fix it or you are pretty much throwing away your money, without a 95th percentile MCAT score (or higher) to pair with a low GPA and world-beater ECs.

How is everyone's semester going so far? I crushed my physiology exam. But didn't do so hot on physics I. The class is curved so much and a ton of points are on the homework I am still ok for an A...

I had two arts classes and an advanced english class killed my GPA. Three C's. All A's and B's across the board otherwise. I don't want to retake them. AT ALL.

How is everyone's semester going so far? I crushed my physiology exam. But didn't do so hot on physics I. The class is curved so much and a ton of points are on the homework I am still ok for an A...
I think I'm doing pretty well so far. Much better in chem 2 than I expected when its been 8 years since chem 1. I hate my bio 1 lab though. I love bio and the labs are sooo easy, but then we get to the assignments/quizzes/exams and my instructor is super pedantic about grading, asking about the most minute details and offering no help. I think I will end up with an okay grade, it is just a huge annoyance right now.

Who here is planning on applying this summer??

I just got signed up for my premed committee interview. April 30th at 830am! It's going to be around the corner. I have about 5 pages of things to fill out for it. Then 2 passport photos, pay VirtualEval, get my suit fitted better...Man I can't believe it's actually happening!

I'm a summer applicant. Had a stellar 2.51 GPA from way back in 2002, and have coddled it up to 3.1 cGPA and 4.0 sGPA with a ton of work (crossing fingers it stays that way after this semester). 30 on the MCAT.

My university has no pre-medical committee, or indeed even any pre-medical advising at all, so I'm on my own with the help of a trusted professor and other mentors. It'll be a ride, that's for sure.

Good luck to everyone!

Ecc, would u mind sharing details (which classes, what grades, how long) on how u pulled that gpa up?

Ecc, would u mind sharing details (which classes, what grades, how long) on how u pulled that gpa up?

Sure. I had gotten an associate's in nursing first, thinking I was too old to be chasing medical dreams and that I'd be happy as an RN. Straight A's through a year of pre-reqs and two years of nursing school. Once the dust had settled and I'd been working a while, and I soul-searched enough to realize I needed to see the underlying dream through, I went back to a 4-year and started almost from scratch on a Biology degree. Didn't have to take some of the lower-level liberal arts thanks to a generous transfer policy, but I had almost no hard science/math at all. Did all the med school pre-reqs plus college algebra, trig, biochemistry, and some other 300 and 400 level bio and chem electives.

Total credits at 4.0 since start of nursing school: 130 (56 nursing school, 74 on bio degree so far) . I've gone part time while working, so with 3 years spent getting my RN and now 3 years at this university with a handful more elective credits to go for the degree, that'll be about 6/6.5 years total repairing, not counting the break between associate's and starting here. That was all worth only .6 points of GPA but it's been worth it. Or at least I hope so, we'll see this year.

Wow, that's a great story. Congrats and good luck!

Wow, that's a great story. Congrats and good luck!

Forgot to mention I was a theatre major during that 2.51 back in the day. Oh the changes life throws at you ;)

Thank you, and you too!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey there guys...first of all, i just want to say that i'm super excited to find this forum. I'm a 25 year old guy who started off as a pre-med, graduated with a 2.97cGPA and 2.9sGPA from a very good school with a B.Sc in biology in 2012. I wasn't focused at all during my undergrad years. I worked as a medical scribe at a children's medical center for almost 2 years. Working there as well as different life circumstances made me realize my mistakes. Now, i've owned up to my shortcomings and decided to proceed forward and go to medical school, because it's what i've always wanted to do. I began to take a couple of classes at a local community college to boost up my GPA. My low GPA had discouraged me for a while now and have been trying to motivate myself and move forward regardless. Finding this thread and learning that there are others out there like me who are staying strong and keep moving forward regardless of their circumstances gives me great hope :) So thanks guys!!

Where i currently stand academically:
Took microbiology with lab and a 2 credit medical terminology class last semester and got As on both of them. Now, i'm taking a 3 credit pathophysiology course and Emergency medical Responder course. I hope to get A's on both of them as well. Right now, i don't exactly know when to take my MCAT or even how to prepare for it. I'm currently debating whether i should apply to masters programs or go back and retake classes that i received a C or lower in (ex. A & P I and II) at my community college.

Thanks again guys. This thread is actually what made me sign up onto SDN:) Keep posting guys and I wish you all best of luck in your continuing journey to medical school:)

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks again guys. This thread is actually what made me sign up onto SDN:) Keep posting guys and I wish you all best of luck in your continuing journey to medical school:)
Let the obsession begin.

Things are kinda slow at work right, so just watched a great NOVA documentary on Army surgeons/physicians in Iraq during Operation Iraqi Freedom. Really powerful watch.

Things are kinda slow at work right, so just watched a great NOVA documentary on Army surgeons/physicians in Iraq during Operation Iraqi Freedom. Really powerful watch.

Thanks for sharing! I am wondering if you would be able to share what you know about medicine and the military. I met briefly with a recruiter at a med school event recently and am since somewhat interested. I have read a little online about medical education and training in the military, but still have some questions. Because I am fighting the grade repair battle, DO helps with grade replacement, giving me much more in return for my efforts. Does USUHS calculate gpa using the traditional formula? I am assuming so since they use AMCAS. I know on their website they mention, "You should note that the average MCAT for matriculants is 31 (with a 10 in each subtest) and the average grade point average is 3.6 (cumulative and in the sciences). In previous years only those applicants with a 25 on the MCAT and a 3.0 cumulative GPA (or post-baccalaureate or graduate GPA of 3.0) or higher have been competitive for acceptance." What do they mean by, "a 3.0 cumulative GPA (or post-baccalaureate or graduate GPA of 3.0) or higher"? if any one of the sub-gpa's is above a 3.0, you are competitive? Normally this is the last thing to worry about, but in this situation it is relevant - how does residency selection work? I have read a little about GMO - it seems like it adds significant time between the completion of school and residency training. Any how, there are more questions - but this is enough of my stream of thought for now. Thanks again.

Thanks for sharing! I am wondering if you would be able to share what you know about medicine and the military. I met briefly with a recruiter at a med school event recently and am since somewhat interested. I have read a little online about medical education and training in the military, but still have some questions. Because I am fighting the grade repair battle, DO helps with grade replacement, giving me much more in return for my efforts. Does USUHS calculate gpa using the traditional formula? I am assuming so since they use AMCAS. I know on their website they mention, "You should note that the average MCAT for matriculants is 31 (with a 10 in each subtest) and the average grade point average is 3.6 (cumulative and in the sciences). In previous years only those applicants with a 25 on the MCAT and a 3.0 cumulative GPA (or post-baccalaureate or graduate GPA of 3.0) or higher have been competitive for acceptance." What do they mean by, "a 3.0 cumulative GPA (or post-baccalaureate or graduate GPA of 3.0) or higher"? if any one of the sub-gpa's is above a 3.0, you are competitive? Normally this is the last thing to worry about, but in this situation it is relevant - how does residency selection work? I have read a little about GMO - it seems like it adds significant time between the completion of school and residency training. Any how, there are more questions - but this is enough of my stream of thought for now. Thanks again.

I live my life as an enlisted soldier in one of these units everyday. I'm just going to say that before you take the hpsp or commit to usuhs, you join the service for the cause, not for the money. In the long run, hpsp benefit is equivalent to loan forgiveness in some under served area+higher civilian pay+promptly residency. If you are an active duty physician, there are a lot of things to military medicine than just patient care.

If you believe in the cause but not non-patient-care aspects of military medicine, the reserve is the better option. It's basically 40k of loan per year for just doing a rotation at one of the hospitals for a few weeks a year. If you get activated, you will actually provide the best patient care for our men and women downrange.

I live my life as an enlisted soldier in one of these units everyday. I'm just going to say that before you take the hpsp or commit to usuhs, you join the service for the cause, not for the money. In the long run, hpsp benefit is equivalent to loan forgiveness in some under served area+higher civilian pay+promptly residency. If you are an active duty physician, there are a lot of things to military medicine than just patient care.

If you believe in the cause but not non-patient-care aspects of military medicine, the reserve is the better option. It's basically 40k of loan per year for just doing a rotation at one of the hospitals for a few weeks a year. If you get activated, you will actually provide the best patient care for our men and women downrange.
Navy HM here, can confirm. When I enlisted many moons ago one of my career goals was to eventually earn a commission as an active duty medical officer. I've seen some **** over the years that made me rethink that goal. Anyone thinking about military medicine should do some serious research, the milmed forum is a great place to start.

So basically this thread is what finally convinced me to make an account, it's so inspiring to read all these stories!

I'm a senior in college right now, graduating in December and my GPA is depressingly low. I'm also the child of a MD and RN so I flat out refused to go into any health related field growing up (Basically medical children either go for an MD or run in the opposite direction). Last semester due to starting a job as an intake counselor as well as going through a health scare is when I decided to go into medicine. I'm looking at Post- Baccs in my area to apply to but my GPA is so bad I'd be hard pressed to get into one of those- I'm getting married in 2016 so I'm limited to where my fiance lives for his education right now (Which is Baltimore, so somehow I have to convince Goucher or Hopkins to let me in).

After reading other threads on SDN I got discouraged, thinking medicine might be a pipe dream due to my stellar academic record. My dad (after failing to talk me out of med school) has been nothing but supportive, but he's my dad so you know, I take everything with a grain of salt. (He HAS to say I can get into UPenn, he's my dad!)

ANYWAY all that to say THANK YOU for these wonderful stories! I'm freshly encouraged in this and I even got some good advice- I'll definitely be registering for a science and math course this fall to get my sGPA up and show that I can get an A, maybe I can convince someone to let me in. :) (Plus I'm planning to take the general portion of the GRE to show that I do actually know something)

Hi, everyone I am a returning student looking to fulfill my dream of becoming a md. My early college years were a mess, I was simply not ready for the studying and effort to earn really good grades. But at the age of 28 I think I am ready to finish what I started. My gpa is really low a 2.37. But the good thing is I have yet to take the bulk of my science courses (previous nursing major). I am hoping that my potential upward trend will help me in the long run, wish me luck!!

I am a senior and my GPA is 2.7ish. It's really encouraging to know there are other people in the same situation. My GPA kinda got screwed by some of my generals from years ago but I've had some upper division classes that have been challenging as well. I plan on applying to med school sometime next year.

Hi, everyone I am a returning student looking to fulfill my dream of becoming a md. My early college years were a mess, I was simply not ready for the studying and effort to earn really good grades. But at the age of 28 I think I am ready to finish what I started. My gpa is really low a 2.37. But the good thing is I have yet to take the bulk of my science courses (previous nursing major). I am hoping that my potential upward trend will help me in the long run, wish me luck!!
You can do it. If I were you I would purchase an online program or book to help study for the MCAT (assuming that's what you need) and try to score high. I will be studying for it this summer using an online prep course and I'll try to take it next year. A lot of my science classes I've gotten C's in and I even got an F once in ecology :( because my work load was pretty heavy that semester.

You can do it. If I were you I would purchase an online program or book to help study for the MCAT (assuming that's what you need) and try to score high. I will be studying for it this summer using an online prep course and I'll try to take it next year. A lot of my science classes I've gotten C's in and I even got an F once in ecology :( because my work load was pretty heavy that semester.
Appreciate the support, I want to focus on my GPA before I think about studying for the MCAT . Especially since I have a good bit of science to catch up on. I'm thinking about taking it next summer if my gpa is moving in the right direction. Maybe you could retake a couple of those science classes to boost your gpa. Good luck on the MCAT !!