Below 3.0 gpa Support Group/Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well that's kind of a bummer; just got verified, and apparently they don't round the GPA's. I have a 2.998 and it stayed a 2.9, I was really hoping to get over that 3.0 bar for this cycle. This might look a little funny to adcoms, really banking on trending ;

High school : .45
Freshman : 3.55
Soph : 3.80
Junior : 3.85
Senior : 4.0

Members don't see this ad.

Well that's kind of a bummer; just got verified, and apparently they don't round the GPA's. I have a 2.998 and it stayed a 2.9, I was really hoping to get over that 3.0 bar for this cycle. This might look a little funny to adcoms, really banking on trending ;

High school : .45
Freshman : 3.55
Soph : 3.80
Junior : 3.85
Senior : 4.0

Wait your HS gpa is also factored in?

If you took any college classes (in my case 2 terms, 1 I never turned in a drop form so they all turned to F's while enrolled in H/S it will be on your AMCAS

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you took any college classes (in my case 2 terms, 1 I never turned in a drop form so they all turned to F's while enrolled in H/S it will be on your AMCAS

That is absurd. Any adcom member worthy of such a duty should see right through this, assuming the machines don't weed you out. Your non-HS GPA is more than ok for MD schools.

"Everything on your transcript looks fine. Welcome to medical sch... whelp - hang on a moment... What's all this nonsense about your grades when you were 16 and 17? Clearly you aren't the type of person we are looking for."

Reactions: 4 users
That is absurd. Any adcom member worthy of such a duty should see right through this, assuming the machines don't weed you out. Your non-HS GPA is more than ok for MD schools.

"Everything on your transcript looks fine. Welcome to medical sch... whelp - hang on a moment... What's all this nonsense about your grades when you were 16 and 17? Clearly you aren't the type of person we are looking for."

LOL! That would be terrible.

especially since that was 12 years ago at this point....

It's made trying to figure out where to apply etc really fun - since I'm in the bottom 10% of stats everywhere.

Well... are you planning to retake some science prereqs if they are that old? That should help, if so.

I won't rehash my whole story, but I am a career changer, it was 2 terms while I was in H/S and ski racing full time which meant half days and supplemental college classes.

I'm finishing a degree in molecular/cellular bio right now, so my last 8 quarters have all been the pre-reqs and upper division bios (see junior/senior gpa) in which I'm in cum laude standing at UW (all my classes have been curved to a median 2.8, which is brutal) and got my AS the year before that with a 3.8X.

Also I work full time (I've been a medical consultant then an OR tissue and supply coordinator/manager at a hospital for 6 years now while going to school). So my app is very interesting - AMCAS gpa doesn't exactly line up with the rest, so just hoping someone sees thru the one stat. Kinda ridiculous that a clerical error on my part when I was 17 (didn't even go to one class for a term and just didn't really know I needed to turn in a drop form...12 credits of F's at a CC)

Got a question for yall. I know it has been asked in other threads and I have read them, you guys are very helpful so I figured I would ask here. Currently I have about 70k in loans, I will not acquire anymore debt while finishing my science classes. I am curious about how much more debt to expect. I know there are a ton of factors that go into it. I am married and my wife does work and will provide for our hosing and food during med school, no inheritance coming my way and not a ton of money in the bank. I was wondering what yall have experienced. And was there a certain number that If you reached it ( ex. 300k in debt ) that pursuing med school no longer made sense economically. Thanks!

Got a question for yall. I know it has been asked in other threads and I have read them, you guys are very helpful so I figured I would ask here. Currently I have about 70k in loans, I will not acquire anymore debt while finishing my science classes. I am curious about how much more debt to expect. I know there are a ton of factors that go into it. I am married and my wife does work and will provide for our hosing and food during med school, no inheritance coming my way and not a ton of money in the bank. I was wondering what yall have experienced. And was there a certain number that If you reached it ( ex. 300k in debt ) that pursuing med school no longer made sense economically. Thanks!
There are different variables that you should plug into your equation such as; grades, age, family obligations, and your significant other support.
The average debt of any medical students before they start residency depends on where do you go to school, but I will give you ballpark figure-public school anywhere between 160-200k, and private school some where between 260-310 k including living expenses.

Just got another pre-interview rejection today...:(

Its really dis-heartening to not even get on the pre-interview hold list. I just want a place to give me a chance

Members don't see this ad :)
what is your stat?

cgpa 2.99, sgpa 2.93, mcat 25. The grades from this summer can't be updated into my file until Sept. 1, which then will bump me above a 3.0. So that is other frustrating part about all this. And also that I am taking fall/spring classes that will also raise my gpa. So that is another reason why I was hoping to get a pre-interview hold, instead of a just flat out rejection.

cgpa 2.99, sgpa 2.93, mcat 25. The grades from this summer can't be updated into my file until Sept. 1, which then will bump me above a 3.0. So that is other frustrating part about all this. And also that I am taking fall/spring classes that will also raise my gpa. So that is another reason why I was hoping to get a pre-interview hold, instead of a just flat out rejection.
I was rejected last cycle pre-secondary 11/20/14 by Touro-NV, but then received a secondary invite after AACOMAS sent out updated grades in January, so you might still have a shot.

Reactions: 2 users
This is a good thread. The odds are against you below 3.0 but that doesn't mean it can't be done. I am non-traditional and I almost qualified for the thread. If medicine is what you really want then be persistent!

Just got another pre-interview rejection today...:(

Its really dis-heartening to not even get on the pre-interview hold list. I just want a place to give me a chance

Sorry you're dealing with this :(

I have very similar grades. What I am doing is redoing ANYTHING under an "A"/4.0...which is pretty much everything. I know that this will add about 3-4 years to my journey, but in the end, I will be much more competitive. Also, having 100 hours of shadowing (of a few MD's), 100 hours of volunteering, and 100 hours spent on a research project can be a huge deciding factor in your favor. Also, upping your MCAT score north of 30 could help as well. I recommend using nextstepprep.com as a study tool. My friend scored a 26 his first try, and after spending some time with one of their vets, score a whopping 35.

Don't be afraid taking a little extra time to do what you gotta do to be a better applicant. Hope this helps!:)

I finished Ochem 1 tonight. Hoping for As in both lectures and lab. Still not entirely sure taking it in 6 weeks was a great idea, but it's an amazing feeling to have it done with.

Reactions: 1 users
I finished Ochem 1 tonight. Hoping for As in both lectures and lab. Still not entirely sure taking it in 6 weeks was a great idea, but it's an amazing feeling to have it done with.

Good luck! I'm NOT looking forward to Ochem...lol

Finally received something besides a "pre-interview rejection"!

DCOM put me on a interview hold until I can update them with my summer grades. So its nothing great, but its nice to finally get something besides a pre-interview rejection.

Reactions: 15 users
And just FYI for everyone (I don't think I already posted this but I might have - my brain is fuzzy from all these secondaries and 2 upper level summer classes) AMCAS doesn't round. I have a 2.998 and it stayed a 2.9 on my app.

DCOM put me on a interview hold until I can update them with my summer grades. So its nothing great, but its nice to finally get something besides a pre-interview rejection.
That's wonderful. I've had my fingers crossed for you and I'll keep them crossed still.

Rooting for you, brother/sister!

Just wanted to make sure I am doing this right. I do not have to go to a post bacc. Program , I can just enroll at the local university and take/retake my science classes, correct?

Just wanted to make sure I am doing this right. I do not have to go to a post bacc. Program , I can just enroll at the local university and take/retake my science classes, correct?
This is correct. "postbacc" just means after your bachelors degree. Take the classes whichever way works for you and get good grades.

This is correct. "postbacc" just means after your bachelors degree. Take the classes whichever way works for you and get good grades.
And it's okay to take courses at a community college, right?

And it's okay to take courses at a community college, right?
Yes, but you'll see differing opinions on this. A few schools or adcoms might see community colleges as less competitive. All DO schools are fine with it and almost all MD schools are accepting as well. I'm doing a combination of university extension and community college myself.

I am a 27-year-old non traditional student. My academic history has had its major ups and downs and I have taken time off here and there due to simply not knowing what I want to do with my life. I have many many interests in life (due to my INFP personality type) and have pursued some of them and have been ultimately turned off by them. Case and point, a year and a half ago, I quit college studying as a Computer Information Systems major and began working for our local NBC affiliated news station. I quickly climbed the ranks and became their evening news producer for a while. Then the company was sold right around the same time I was realizing this is not how I want to spend the rest of my life, and 2/3 of the station was laid off, including myself. So between this past spring and now, I have been undergoing some serious soul searching. I want to help people. I want to work my ass off. I want to make a difference in this world. I want to become a doctor. I happen to come from a family of medical professionals as well. Grandfather is a doc, father is a doc, step mother is an RN and my oldest brother works with a stem cell clinic. I have been accepted back into school this fall and am planning on majoring in biology, pre-med. I have a good 2-3 years ahead of me of undergrad, which is fine with me. Plenty of time to show a super-stellar upward trend and hopefully partially rebuild my destroyed GPA. My question is, in my situation, is there a possibility here? Am I barking up the wrong tree? I am willing to go above and beyond and devote my life to this cause, but only if I know there is a chance. I am getting married this fall and I am finally ready to take my life into my own hands and be great and attempt to make the world a better place.

I am a 27-year-old non traditional student. My academic history has had its major ups and downs and I have taken time off here and there due to simply not knowing what I want to do with my life. I have many many interests in life (due to my INFP personality type) and have pursued some of them and have been ultimately turned off by them. Case and point, a year and a half ago, I quit college studying as a Computer Information Systems major and began working for our local NBC affiliated news station. I quickly climbed the ranks and became their evening news producer for a while. Then the company was sold right around the same time I was realizing this is not how I want to spend the rest of my life, and 2/3 of the station was laid off, including myself. So between this past spring and now, I have been undergoing some serious soul searching. I want to help people. I want to work my ass off. I want to make a difference in this world. I want to become a doctor. I happen to come from a family of medical professionals as well. Grandfather is a doc, father is a doc, step mother is an RN and my oldest brother works with a stem cell clinic. I have been accepted back into school this fall and am planning on majoring in biology, pre-med. I have a good 2-3 years ahead of me of undergrad, which is fine with me. Plenty of time to show a super-stellar upward trend and hopefully partially rebuild my destroyed GPA. My question is, in my situation, is there a possibility here? Am I barking up the wrong tree? I am willing to go above and beyond and devote my life to this cause, but only if I know there is a chance. I am getting married this fall and I am finally ready to take my life into my own hands and be great and attempt to make the world a better place.

cGPA? sGPA?

We can try to guide you based on what we've all experienced, but it's hard without knowing where you're starting from.

Also, I see you cross-posted this in its own thread in the same forum. Not sure why you did that.

Regardless, I agree with the other poster there on motivations. That your family works in healthcare is largely irrelevant. Plenty of people with family in healthcare don't become doctors; plenty of people with no family in healthcare become doctors. Do you know why you want to be in medicine, versus nursing or social work or dentistry or any other field that also helps people and makes a difference in the world? One of the things they'll be looking for come application time is that you've had experiences that back up your claim (shadowing, clinical exposure, etc). Something to start thinking about while also pondering how to pick your education back up off the ground.

But tell us a bit more about where you're starting from and we can continue to help.

cGPA? sGPA?

We can try to guide you based on what we've all experienced, but it's hard without knowing where you're starting from.

It's not pretty. As of right now I am hugging the 2.0 mark for my cGPA. As for my sciences, Ive only really taken Gen bio 1&2 and their labs. Intro to psych, and a handful of computer science courses. The rest of my credits consist of core curriculum (basics) and a handful of business-admin minor courses.

It's not pretty. As of right now I am hugging the 2.0 mark for my cGPA. As for my sciences, Ive only really taken Gen bio 1&2 and their labs. Intro to psych, and a handful of computer science courses. The rest of my credits consist of core curriculum (basics) and a handful of business-admin minor courses.

How many credits have you taken so far along with your gpa of 2.0?

When I was really young I would go on rounds on Saturday mornings with my dad and loved being there at the hospital and being in that environment. It was awesome to see my dad making a difference in peoples lives and I could tell his patients and the staff alike really respected and generally liked my dad. I think that is awesome. Cut to one summer when I was 16 or 17, I spent that summer volunteering in the ER and had an awesome experience working the night time ER shift. Since it was a hospital where my dad was chief of staff at the time, I was allowed to take patients from the ER up to their rooms, I cleaned beds, delivered various items around the hospital and generally got an awesome glimnpse of what the culture is like in a hospital. Along the way after those experiences however,I got distracted I thought I wanted to spend my life as a musician, a director, a writer, and wasted so much time half-assedly pursuing those dreams. With the time off I have had in the past few months I have had some time to get a better perspective on what I want.

As I said, it is not pretty, I have attempted over 120 credits.

As I said, it is not pretty, I have attempted over 120 credits.

My suggestion is to do the first useful thing I did:

1. Get ahold of every transcript you have in your history.

2. Search SDN for a GPA calculator.

3. Plug in your college credits.

This will give you a relatively concrete (not totally exact, AMCAS does do some witchcraft) spot where you stand. From there you can start entering anticipated classes and see how much work it would take to climb back out.

Note: For classes that you retake, AMCAS will average the grades. AACOMAS (DO), however, will take the latter grade only. So if you have courses you could theoretically retake, your final AACOMAS cumulative and/or science GPA could be quite higher than AMCAS.

Anyone currently in or just finished a DO or MD SMP program? Where do you plan on applying for medical school?

Hey there sdn!

I graduated a year ago from a small, little-ivy liberal arts college where I majored in neuroscience and pretty much nuked my GPA: cumulative 2.8, science 2.5. I won't elaborate too much, but my GPA was the result of a toxic combination of situation and my own irresponsibility, and I have a clarity and sense of direction now that I lacked during the first half of undergrad. I have always been drawn to medicine, I can't imagine a more fulfilling career to dedicate my life and mindset to, but I felt getting into med school was impossible with my GPA.

After graduating in 2014, I felt like the world's biggest fool for letting my undergrad spin out of control and thought the safest professional move was to transfer my credits to my local technical university and begin working towards a degree in chemical engineering. I decided to retake all the science courses I did poorly in (I wanted to fully understand the material) in addition to the engineering courses that will go towards my chem e degree. I loved going to a liberal arts college, really I did, but for my purpose a technical university, where 90% of student body appreciates math and hard science and are career oriented instead of socially focused, has been a blessing and has provided fantastic/supportive community. I finished my first year and a half of engineering courses and all my retakes in the last year with a 4.0 GPA .

I should also share something else: there are 10x the oppurtunities here, at a 70% acceptance rate technical school, than there were at my sub 19% acceptance liberal arts college and I'm paying a fraction of the cost. (Given, only 40% of the students here actually attain their degree, but that's a different matter entirely). It seems obvious now, but I wish I had taken that into account in 2010 when I graduated high school. I have been here for only two semesters and I have been fortunate enough to receive a research award, merit grant and ongoing research under two professors who are sending me to present our work at conferences (acs, bmes, etc.), connecting me with medical doctors and allowing me to publish my work as a first author, simply because they want to improve the university. I was shocked by the difference... I couldn't even get into a lab to grow bacteria cultures for a summer in 2013, not to mention conduct and publish my own research.

Anyway, here I am.. still eager to apply for medical school and now thinking that I might have a shot at getting accepted. I'm kinda proud to join the ranks of sub 3.0, the prodigal son types, people who are willing to learn just as much from troubleshooting life as they are from getting it right the first time around. I honestly have no idea how my previous GPA/degree will factor into an admissions decision, but I'm planning on taking the mcat in the next 6 months and applying anyway. Besides research, shadowing and keeping my grades up, what else can I get involved in that will help prep me for med school and give me some insight into spending my life as a doctor? Any advice or critiques of my situation would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,

So I have only been a NP since May and already wanting to attend med school. I have been a nurse for 6 years and I am almost 30.

My graduate GPA is 3.8, but I know only undergrad counts. My last two years of undergrad is a 3.5. With the too much fun I had my first two years of school my cumGPA is only 3.08. I know I can bring it up and work on my science GPA. Currently, my sGPA is a 2.66. I am hoping for a 3.3-3.4 sGPA. With all the credits I have, it will be hard to get cumGPA to about 3.2.

I plan on taking Bio and chem 1 in spring. I took these in undergrad and got a C in Bio and B in chem without studying.

Can't wait to begin.

Hi,

So I have only been a NP since May and already wanting to attend med school. I have been a nurse for 6 years and I am almost 30.

My graduate GPA is 3.8, but I know only undergrad counts. My last two years of undergrad is a 3.5. With the too much fun I had my first two years of school my cumGPA is only 3.08. I know I can bring it up and work on my science GPA. Currently, my sGPA is a 2.66. I am hoping for a 3.3-3.4 sGPA. With all the credits I have, it will be hard to get cumGPA to about 3.2.

I plan on taking Bio and chem 1 in spring. I took these in undergrad and got a C in Bio and B in chem without studying.

Can't wait to begin.

Hey I'm an RN as well, also taking chemistry 1A and Biology. You should post in our RN to MD/DO Thread. Quite a few nurses there who are starting off like us or in the process of applying to med school. You'll find some support there as well.

So I'll get things started here

Almost 27 years old.

ACCOMAS cgpa = 2.54, sgpa= 2.1, non-science = 2.85

No kids, single, live alone with my dog, work part time, volunteer at two different organizations, and now I am retaking classes part time

I finished all of my undergrad degree requirements in the spring so I wanted to get my diploma/graduate and then stay at my university as a post-bach But my school has this goofy policy have only allowing non-degree seeking students to only be allowed to take classes for 2 semesters then no more.

So my advisor basically told me to just file for graduation whenever I get accepted to grad school. I can keep taking as many classes as I want/need for as along as I want. I just can't apply for graduation lol. I could graduate then seek another degree but then I would have to be taking more classes I don't need.

So technically I can't call my self a post-bach but I have finished all my degree requirements. All there is to do now is start retaking all my F classes and work my way up through the C's...

My schedule looks like this:

Summer 2013: Microbiology- 3 credits
Ochem Lab- 2 credits

Fall 2013: Microbiology Lab- 2 credits
History of Science- 3 credits
Genetics - 3 credits

Spring 2014: Immunology - 3 credits
Ecology - 3 credits
Algebra&Trig - 4 credits

Summer 2014: Ochem 1 - 3 credits
Ochem 2- 3 credits

Fall 2014: Gen. Biology I - 4 credits
Gen. Chem I - 5 credits

Spring 2015: Physics I - 4 credits

Summer 2015: Physics II - 4 credits

After that I don't know what else to take. I'll have every F and C replaced except Spanish I which is 5 credits....

I take the mcat this September 12th. So I know I need to score really really well on it....

How did you do? Did you end up getting accepted into a medical school or scoring well on your MCAT?

This thread makes me feel so much better.

I guess I'm a non-trad? I'm 24, I graduated May 2014 with a BS in Biology (wildlife science focus). I knew I wanted to do med school all in college, did some volunteering and shadowing when I had spare time, but I worked 30-40 hrs/week, lived an hour from school, and took too many classes (because all the random Tolkien english classes and Oceanography and crap looked too interesting to pass up). I took another semester worth of classes, did very well except for a C in Physics. Ugh. Physics and I don't mix. This year I've taken a few random post-bac classes at CC, one of which was the Bio pre-req and replaced a C with an A.

I just found out yesterday I can get another year of financial aid, so I'm going to finish a 2nd degree (I'm only 8 classes from it, might as well!) I am luckily in a financial position now to work ~15 hours/week, so plenty of school time.
I'm thinking to apply DO in the spring, then maybe MD and DO again if it doesn't pan out, then Carib as last resort.

Current stats:
AMCAS ~ 2.9 DO ~ 3.0 (3.1 pending an A in current summer class). ~80 hours clinical volunteering (surgery patient/family stuff), ~ 80 hours non-clinical, spread over a few places (charity events with meetings beforehand, etc.). ~8 hours shadowing a surgeon.

What I'm Gonna Do To Fix My Situation:
~ Finish these 2 semesters, get 2nd degree in Neurobio, and pull at LEAST a 3.7 post-bac. 7/10 of the classes I'm taking are upper division science, so that should help.
~ Doing "Supervised Research" in the addiction neuroscience lab. Professor is great, got an A in a previous class and offered to help me with my app.
~ Shadow a DO.
~ Kick ass on the MCAT. Shooting for at LEAST a 31 by the old scale, I think that's a 510 now.
~ I GUESS I should do more clinical volunteering but I'd have to get creative. The hospitals are always full and all that's left is the 'coffee cart' or office crap. Too many pre-meds at this giant university, taking all the good spots.

Hopefully that will all give me a decent shot. I am definitely a 'well-rounded applicant', bahaha.

How did you do? Did you end up getting accepted into a medical school or scoring well on your MCAT?

Just applied this summer to DO schools. Still no interview invites and 5 pre-interview rejections so far. Scored a 25 on the old mcat.

Do you have any study plan going on right now to retake the MCAT ?

Just applied this summer to DO schools. Still no interview invites and 5 pre-interview rejections so far. Scored a 25 on the old mcat.
Do you have plans to retake the mcat and how many schools have you applied this cycle?

Do you have plans to retake the mcat and how many schools have you applied too?

Applied to a total of 24 DO schools. Right now I am compiling a list of SMPs that are linked with DO schools and will to apply to those as well as a backup plan. Right now I have no plans to take the new MCAT. I might in the spring. I have too much on plate right now with the fall semester starting, work, and volunteering. In the spring I might not take any classes and just focus on the new mcat and cut back my hours at work.

Applied to a total of 24 DO schools. Right now I am compiling a list of SMPs that are linked with DO schools and will to apply to those as well as a backup plan. Right now I have no plans to take the new MCAT. I might in the spring. I have too much on plate right now with the fall semester starting, work, and volunteering. In the spring I might not take any classes and just focus on the new mcat and cut back my hours at work.
Im rooting for you. I currently have a terrible gpa of 2.4 and I am taking the pre-reqs currently with plans to apply in 2 years. I wish you the best and you still have 19 more opportunities at an acceptance.

Reactions: 1 users
Im rooting for you. I currently have a terrible gpa of 2.4 and I am taking the pre-reqs currently with plans to apply in 2 years. I wish you the best and you still have 19 more opportunities at an acceptance.

Thank you! Best of you luck to you as well. Study hard. It is a long and arduous road you will take on, BUT I fully believe it is worth it if you feel called to medicine. Just always keep in mind every A grade you earn gets you closer to that acceptance.

Be advised (from someone who started at a 2.71 and a gigantic wad of credits) that it may take you many more than just the pre-reqs to bring that 2.4 up past a 3.0. Depends how many credits you have now.

I strongly encourage you to get a GPA calculator from this site if you haven't already and plug in everything you've done so far, then put the pre-reqs in at As to see where exactly it'll land you.

Be advised (from someone who started at a 2.71 and a gigantic wad of credits) that it may take you many more than just the pre-reqs to bring that 2.4 up past a 3.0. Depends how many credits you have now.

I strongly encourage you to get a GPA calculator from this site if you haven't already and plug in everything you've done so far, then put the pre-reqs in at As to see where exactly it'll land you.
Thank you for your honesty...I have done so and I need about 48 credits to pull my gpa up to a 3.0. Also one benefit I have is I haven't taken most of the pre reqs yet. Currently im enrolled in gen chem 2 lab & lecture, genetics & ecology lab & lecture, and stats. I have yet to take any physics courses, organic chem, or any upper level bio. So I still have somewhat of a shot at getting my gpa above 3.0 sooner than later. I know it won't be easy, but this is my defining moment. Also I plan to apply to mostly D.O schools since they favor grade replacement. But, I definitely appreciate the feedback or any other helpful info you may have for me now or in the future ;).