Below 3.0 gpa Support Group/Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello guys! First, I just want to say that I love this thread. I appreciate everyone who has shared their stories. It gives me hope that I too can get into medical school and become a doctor.

I would like to share my story as well.

I am 22 years old. Like many people, I have had the childhood dream of becoming a doctor. However, after growing up, I knew it would be crazy and nigh impossible to still pursue this dream. However, after much contemplation, I realize I don't want to live my life regretting that I hadn't at least made a genuine effort towards this goal. I even thought about the $1 million question. If I did end up becoming rich in the near future, the only thing I would change is to quit my part-time job to focus on classes and volunteer.

However, there are some hurtles that I still need to overcome. I have suffered from major depression, OCD, and anxiety for many years starting sometime around middle school. I was a MYP and IB student, and my grades were so bad that I barely graduated high school, much less the IB program, with a 3.0 gpa (the min. gpa has since been raised). I didn't have any confidence to apply to any colleges, so it was only until my mom forced me did I apply to the local community college. I did pretty well for my first semester, but then I relocated to Nevada with my family and applied to the local state college. I did okay for the first few semesters, and even signed up for counseling on campus. However, I started doing worse and ended up failing my spring semester sophomore year. I have only been able to manage a B-D average since then.

I had originally applied for graduation this fall. I had a cGPA of 2.6 before the start of this semester. However, after speaking with an advisor this morning, I found out that I will have around a 2.8 after my fall grades are put in. She recommended that I postpone my graduation to spring, so that I can retake the F's I had. If I do well, I can bump my cGPA to around a 3.1.

Which leads me to my question. Since I can postpone my graduation, would it be a good idea to take my pre-req classes before I apply for graduation? That would mean it would take me about 6 years total to get my undergraduate degree. I know the undergraduate gpa is just as important, if not more, than your post-bac gpa, but is this a reasonable thing to do? I would like to apply to both MD and DO schools, but I have a strong preference for MD since my state school will have a new med school in 2 years, around the time I want to apply.

Members don't see this ad.

I think I misunderstood the AAMC grade replacement policy. Would someone here help me? I thought if I took Microbiology at School 1 with grade C+, and 20 years later took Microbiology at School 2 with grade A, those 2 grades would be averaged. For this reason, I selected "Repeat" on my application when listing the 2 courses. After the stress of getting everything done, I got to thinking that maybe I misunderstood this repeat thing, so I emailed the AAMC with this specific question. She responded with a "no" in that I incorrectly entered this course as a repeat. Instead, these classes would be counted as 2 classes, 2 grades, 8 credits, because they were taken from 2 different schools. Is this how you understand my repeat course example as well? I only question her response because there were 4 spelling/grammer errors in her short email response to me, which just made me really question its validity!

I'm under the same impression as you. Any other input?

How did everyone's semester go? I got a 3.75, ruined my 4.0 postbacc :mad:. Stupid physics. Still happy with it though. Over break I'm working on applying to summer research programs and picking up extra shifts. Good luck to anyone still in finals!!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How did everyone's semester go? I got a 3.75, ruined my 4.0 postbacc :mad:. Stupid physics. Still happy with it though. Over break I'm working on applying to summer research programs and picking up extra shifts. Good luck to anyone still in finals!!
Ugh, I think I'm going to end up with a B in physics depending on how the insane curve my class has shakes out. Other than physics, my semester went well, assuming a B in there, I have a 3.72 for the semester with 18 units taken. Even got an A+ in Ochem 2, and I didn't know A+ was a grade they handed out.

This semester brings my AAMC GPA to 3.08 and sGPA to 2.6.....so slowly making progress.

Edit: So wow, my grade got posted and it was unfortunately a B as expected. The surprising part was that out of the class of 45, there was only 1 A. That's kind of messed up in my opinion but I don't think I really have grounds to argue much. I obviously picked the wrong class for GPA repair.

Last edited:
Ugh, I think I'm going to end up with a B in physics depending on how the insane curve my class has shakes out. Other than physics, my semester went well, assuming a B in there, I have a 3.72 for the semester with 18 units taken. Even got an A+ in Ochem 2, and I didn't know A+ was a grade they handed out.

This semester brings my AAMC GPA to 3.08 and sGPA to 2.6.....so slowly making progress.

Edit: So wow, my grade got posted and it was unfortunately a B as expected. The surprising part was that out of the class of 45, there was only 1 A. That's kind of messed up in my opinion but I don't think I really have grounds to argue much. I obviously picked the wrong class for GPA repair.

This is exactly my situation! 1 A given out of a class of 26. Oh well, I know how not to mess it up again next semester! Congratulations on an awesome semester!

Reactions: 1 user
Did terrible this semester and I only took one class :(. Seriously how do you guys balance the pt school fulltime work schedule? I think the stresses of work got to me more then I thought it would and I'm considering either cutting down or totally quitting my one job (which stinks because I really enjoy it) just because of all the stress I take home. Any advice??

Did terrible this semester and I only took one class :(. Seriously how do you guys balance the pt school fulltime work schedule? I think the stresses of work got to me more then I thought it would and I'm considering either cutting down or totally quitting my one job (which stinks because I really enjoy it) just because of all the stress I take home. Any advice??

What's your studying habits like?

What's your studying habits like?

Wow as I was typing this reply I realized that halfway through the semester I switched my study hours from morning to evening and upped my scores by several points. I did 2 - 2.5 hours a day 4 days a week writing notes and doing problems (precalc class). I'm going to email my professor tonight to see if she'll allow me to see if the material I missed on the final was part of the first or second half.
Honestly as simple of a question that was you really helped me out now that I see it written down so thank you really :)

Above poster,
I wouldn't quit the job I love. Maybe work on your study technique. I notice many students study it inefficient way. They remember too much details. When the question is ask in a different ways, they got stuck. Figure out your weakness and work from there.

For me

I got As for 2 classes this semester. Working on my connections for Shadowing and letters. preworking on personal statement. Got addicted to muay thai ( :( bad timing). Taking 2 english course next semester. I should be ready to apply after that.

How's everyone else doing ?

Reactions: 1 users
Above poster,
I wouldn't quit the job I love. Maybe work on your study technique. I notice many students study it inefficient way. They remember too much details. When the question is ask in a different ways, they got stuck. Figure out your weakness and work from there.

Math is not my strength so I definitely stress over every minute detail in trying to understand it :/. Big picture thinking is something I really need to practice!

I just took a couple of hours, and read through every comment in this thread! :) and wanted to thank everyone for being so brave and continuing posting in this thread! I'm going to be doing something similar I guess.

I finished undergrad from a expensive :( private school but I never really gave a damn about my grades, thus, my grades suffered. After graduating in 2013, I worked for a startup for a bit, then I created my own startup, raised some money from angel investors, but then ran out of money this year... So, back to my initial life goal/plan.

My stats from the AMCA calculator are:

141 undergrad hours total, 2.75 cGPA (econ major, so I took calc, and statistics and econometrics)
39 BCPM hours, 2.57 sGPA (chem 1 B+, chem 2 C+, orgo 1 C-, Bio 1 C, physics withdrew)

I spoke to a few advisors about applying for a post bacc program, but none would accept me due to the 2.75 cGPA.

So I'm going to retake all the sciences, starting with biology, physics, orgo, micro-bio, etc and see how that would go.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hello! I've been checking out these forums for a while now, and finally decided to make a profile today!

I am 26, with a degree in bio but with a terrible GPA (2.64) - personal stuff, surgery, yadayada. I took two classes afterward and got decent grades, though I'm not sure if they are worth mentioning (one was Orgo 1, but neither were higher level and Orgo was taken at some college that doesn't routinely offer letter grades, so...).

Research experience and extracurricular stuff has never been an issue (internship at a biotech company from end of high school into college, then several semesters of independent research in college culminating in thesis honors), and after college I worked for a year and a half as a research assistant at a biomedical institution on a regenerative medicine/leukemia project. I maintained a very good relationship with my PI, who often told me that she treated me like one of her PhD candidates (blush). Out of all that research, I have two publications, and one more currently in review. In terms of ECs, I've got a decent amount, and will be lining up some clinical shadowing this week. I also don't think I'll have trouble with my personal statement either, I'm very lucky in that those types of things have come to me naturally.

Anyway, my biggest hurdle is my undergrad GPA. Since I didn't take all the pre-reqs, I'm planning on applying for the Harvard Extension pre med program (worth a shot) as it's relatively local to me, though if I don't get in I can still take classes at HE and do it DIY. Once that application is submitted, I'll hit the books for the GRE, but plan to take the MCAT once I finish up with the pre-req classes. I mostly want to have the GRE done and in pocket to use for application at an SMP, since from my understanding quite a few have begun to accept them and it's something I can start working on now.

I know my GPA will be a beast of a problem as is. However I think a post bac will be very helpful. And even so, I'd like to hedge my bets and prove that I can also have a successful graduate GPA as well.

Any recommendations or advice are appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
@ Latetooearly -

FWIW, with a 3.7 cGPA/ 3.7 sGPA I'm not applying MD unless I clear 90th percentile on the MCAT.

Haha say what? That's one of the more ridiculous things I've ever seen on SDN. With a 33 (90th percentile) and a 3.7, you're above the average matriculation at most MD schools. Aka you stand a better chance than 50 percent of people that actually matriculate.

What's more important is the 10/90 which is all the way down at 3.3 and 28 for matriculates on average. Meaning you have a great chance with a 3.7. You'd have to be crazy to not apply MD with a 3.7 and anything >28 MCAT (67th percentile).

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...7a4/finalpercentileranksfortheoldmcatexam.pdf

And for example one of the top ranked schools in the country;

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1451725414.415698.jpg

Harvard's Extension is aggressively grade deflating - it is not like their undergrad. From what I understand, most of their courses have around a 2.5 GPA. It's the most aggressively grade deflating of the postbacs.

Are you sure Harvard is the right place?

Thanks for the input. I haven't heard this about HE. Most of my friends who have taken classes there never seemed to have a problem.

At the moment, logistically it works best for me. I'll be taking biochem this upcoming semester, so if it ends up being that much of an issue I'll find something else. No biggie :)

Update:

I still haven't recieved any DO interviews yet, BUT I have a phone interview tomorrow with a graduate program for Bio-medical Science connected with a DO school. And today I just recieved a letter accepting me into a stand alone graduate program for a Masters in Biomedical Science! I am So happy and relieved to have a solid plan in place for this upcoming year. This spring will be my last semester at my large state university. I can finally move on to the next chapter in my life in earning my acceptance in med school!

Reactions: 9 users
If you want a really good MBS program, I recommend rutgers. I might be a little bit biased, but the program is really good, is taught by professors from the medical school, and the people are super friendly.

what state are you in?

Update:

I still haven't recieved any DO interviews yet, BUT I have a phone interview tomorrow with a graduate program for Bio-medical Science connected with a DO school. And today I just recieved a letter accepting me into a stand alone graduate program for a Masters in Biomedical Science! I am So happy and relieved to have a solid plan in place for this upcoming year. This spring will be my last semester at my large state university. I can finally move on to the next chapter in my life in earning my acceptance in med school!

I'm not going to lie @MajorUnderDog , I've been following your thread since the beginning and have been rooting for you ever since. Glad to hear you have a solid plan heading your way!!!

I'm curious, so this program is linked to the DO school and if you do well you will get an interview for the DO program?

I'm curious, so this program is linked to the DO school and if you do well you will get an interview for the DO program?

Essentially, yes that is the idea to prove yourself in being able to handle/succeed in 1st year curriculum minus the OMM and Physician develop type courses. Many DO programs are now offering this type of thing. Seems exactly the type of thing I need for a clean fresh start and really be able to prove to DO schools that I can handle the rigors of medical school.

If you want a really good MBS program, I recommend rutgers. I might be a little bit biased, but the program is really good, is taught by professors from the medical school, and the people are super friendly.

what state are you in?

I am in the Midwest region, Between Texas and Canada lol.

I'm not going to lie @MajorUnderDog , I've been following your thread since the beginning and have been rooting for you ever since. Glad to hear you have a solid plan heading your way!!!

Thank you So much! We'll see what else I can crank out between now and the summer. I think I am going to take the new MCAT as well as I don't think my 25 is doing me any good.

Well my phone interview with the linkage program ended. It started somewhat rough because the interviewer was having computer issues and couldn't pull up my file to look over my personal statement and CV. I got some of usual questions of "why our program, have you explored any other healthcare fields, and why DO?". I thought I did fairly well on the first two but then went down a path on the "why DO" that I didn't want to. I starting getting nervous and tripped up my answer. I started going down a path I couldn't get myself out of, and I went with the cliche "whole person approach, not just prescribe a pill, and loving OMM". I really messed up that last part. But I feel the conversation ended well. I asked alot of questions and it turned more into a natural conversation. So hopefully I recovered well enough.

Reactions: 2 users
Well my phone interview with the linkage program ended. It started somewhat rough because the interviewer was having computer issues and couldn't pull up my file to look over my personal statement and CV. I got some of usual questions of "why our program, have you explored any other healthcare fields, and why DO?". I thought I did fairly well on the first two but then went down a path on the "why DO" that I didn't want to. I starting getting nervous and tripped up my answer. I started going down a path I couldn't get myself out of, and I went with the cliche "whole person approach, not just prescribe a pill, and loving OMM". I really messed up that last part. But I feel the conversation ended well. I asked alot of questions and it turned more into a natural conversation. So hopefully I recovered well enough.

Go easy on yourself mate. You did your best, which is probably better than you think you did. And now there's nothing more to do except hope you get in!

Thought I'd throw in my two-cents as well.

Still in undergrad, I transferred from community college and was originally a biochemistry major, but I switched to Psych because I was failing my science classes left and right.. in an attempt to save my gpa and get myself out of academic probation and being kicked out of uni.

Hearing some of your stories truly gives me hope, and maybe I can be another one for people who are really down at rock bottom. My overall GPA as of right now is around a 2.1, and my science is literally non existent, I got a couple Ds in Bio (including labs) and failed Gen Chem twice. At that point I decided to switch to Psych because I just wasn't putting in the effort for a traditional pre-med science degree.

I really want to be a pediatrician, and work with kids. I know it's one of the lowest-paid specialties in medicine, but it was never about the money for me. I've always been involved with kids, whether it was babysitting while in high school (yes, as a guy I know that can be weird but hey, I did it) or working with kids in my church's children's ministry. I want to be the doctor that sees kids for check ups, gives them a sticker after their visit and puts a smile on their faces. Sounds completely corny, but my heart is really for the little ones.

So I'm within a year from graduating, and I don't know if any post baccs will take anyone with a sub-3.0 gpa. I'm a registered medical assistant in CA and I'm thinking about getting my EMT certification before graduating. If I get all A's from here on out I don't think that will be enough to push my overall over a 3.0.. anyone have advice on what to do? I feel completely lost, but there's something inside me that refuses to allow me to give up. I know it's in me to become a doctor, just getting there seems so daunting right now.

Last edited:
Thought I'd throw in my two-cents as well.

Still in undergrad, I transferred from community college and was originally a biochemistry major, but I switched to Psych because I was failing my science classes left and right.. in an attempt to save my gpa and get myself out of academic probation and being kicked out of uni.

Hearing some of your stories truly gives me hope, and maybe I can be another one for people who are really down at rock bottom. My overall GPA as of right now is around a 2.1, and my science is literally non existent, I got a couple Ds in Bio (including labs) and failed Gen Chem twice. At that point I decided to switch to Psych because I just wasn't putting in the effort for a traditional pre-med science degree.

I really want to be a pediatrician, and work with kids. I know it's one of the lowest-paid specialties in medicine, but it was never about the money for me. I've always been involved with kids, whether it was babysitting while in high school (yes, as a guy I know that can be weird but hey, I did it) or working with kids in my church's children's ministry. I want to be the doctor that sees kids for check ups, gives them a sticker after their visit and puts a smile on their faces. Sounds completely corny, but my heart is really for the little ones.

So I'm within a year from graduating, and I don't know if any post baccs will take anyone with a sub-3.0 gpa. I'm a registered medical assistant in CA and I'm thinking about getting my EMT certification before graduating. If I get all A's from here on out I don't think that will be enough to push my overall over a 3.0.. anyone have advice on what to do? I feel completely lost, but there's something inside me that refuses to allow me to give up. I know it's in me to become a doctor, just getting there seems so daunting right now.
Don't worry about getting into post baccs. You can do extension or open university courses without being accepted into anything. Another option is postponing your graduation and taking more classes if your undergrad will allow it, that option is usually more favorable if you are getting any financial aid. First step I'd say is getting your transcripts and doing the math to see figure out exactly how much work you will need to do to get above 3.0 at a minimum. If you haven't already looked into it, read up on the DO grade replacement policy, it's quite helpful for seeing that GPA jump up.

Medical assisting seems like good clinical experience, I don't think you'd need to get your EMT certification unless it is something you really want to do and plan on using it for work, not just an extracurricular.

Everyone here should definitely listen to this interview with Cal Newport. Great advice on staying focused, increasing your attention span, and being overall more successful. I think this goes along with pre-meds, to med students, etc. very well!

I just got the Acceptance email/phone call for MWU-AZCOM's Biomedical Sciences program!!!!:soexcited:

Reactions: 7 users
Never commented on this thread before, but I just wanted to say congrats to you @MajorUnderDog!! I also worked through a DIY postbacc and am gearing up to start an SMP this fall, so I definitely understand the excitement :highfive:

Never commented on this thread before, but I just wanted to say congrats to you @MajorUnderDog!! I also worked through a DIY postbacc and am gearing up to start an SMP this fall, so I definitely understand the excitement :highfive:

Thank you so much! It feels great to have a solid solid plan in place at a linkage SMP. I was laying awake in bed last night wondering if this is really happening and if I am smart enough for this!

Thank you so much! It feels great to have a solid solid plan in place at a linkage SMP. I was laying awake in bed last night wondering if this is really happening and if I am smart enough for this!

Of course you're smart enough for it! Just do the work and the rest will come mate.

Thanks for the input. I haven't heard this about HE. Most of my friends who have taken classes there never seemed to have a problem.

At the moment, logistically it works best for me. I'll be taking biochem this upcoming semester, so if it ends up being that much of an issue I'll find something else. No biggie :)

This is also the first time I heard anyone say this... I did my undergrad at Cornell and I was friends with quite a few premeds who did organic chemistry over the summer at HE because it was considered much easier to get a good grade there than at Cornell...but perhaps things have changed. YMMV. Protect the GPA and Best of luck!

Thank you! Even thought it isn't an acceptance into a DO school, it does get me one step closer to that acceptance!

I just googled them. They placed 18/18 late year mate. Columbia or HES can't claim 18/18. Implies they only let in who they think will do well, and then invests heavily in those people

Enjoy the moment, then work your butt off and be one of next year's 18/18

Reactions: 4 users
@MajorUnderDog
I have been following this thread right from the beginning. I wanted to congratulate you on this amazing news. Your tenacity and undefeated spirit is truly inspirational. You will succeed.

I see that bulldog in you. Student loan must be staggering for you though.

Not yet, I work full time right now to pay for all of the classes I have retaken these past 3 years. I'll have to take out loans for this SMP though, not enough time to work. You're suppose to treat it as if you are in med school. So studying is your full time job :)

Congrats bruh. Is that a two year program? Guaranteed interview?

Thanks man! 1 year program, guaranteed interview as long as I maintain at-least a 3.0 gpa and my mcat score is within 1 standard deviation of the DO class...So last year's AZCOM class had a average mcat score of 29, so 1 standard deviation would be a 26?

You need the whole data set to work out standard deviation (subtract mean from each value, square, and mean all of those)

You need the whole data set to work out standard deviation (subtract mean from each value, square, and mean all of those)

Lol. I gotcha. I think I am just going to work my butt off come this summer, get the highest score I am capable of, hope it meets the cut off, and keep my fingers crossed lol

sounds like a good plan. You could however us 10/90 % off msar to get a good idea of where it would be

That's awesome!!! :clap:Congrats and best of luck!

Thank you so much! I'm already nervous, but yet very excited! I am so honored thankful for the opportunity to tell my story and put a face to my application.

Reactions: 2 users