Below 3.0 gpa Support Group/Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Although I've never posted before, I've been using this forum for support for years. I have found others' experiences very uplifting during times of doubt and wanted to share my story in hopes that someone might find it helpful. I'm 33 years old and was recently was accepted into UNM SOM where I will be starting my first year in July. Originally from the Seattle area, I moved down to Albuquerque having come to the conclusion that it would be too difficult to get into my state's only medical school - UW. I had graduated in Molecular Biology with a 2.89 GPA and struggled with what to do next.

I choose New Mexico for three reasons: 1) I had a few family members in Albuquerque. 2) I thought that UNM was a more reasonable possibility given its GPA admission stats. 3) It was away from home where I had become stagnant both professionally and personally.
Having worked at a few clinical laboratories near Seattle, I accepted a job as a medical technologist at a hospital lab in Albuquerque in May 2009. A year later, I became the supervisor of the lab with 12 med tech staff. A year after that I started to get encouraged by my boss to apply to medical school.

Reading about my chances on SDN and the AMCAS charts with my GPA, I realized my chances were slim without some serious redemption. In 2012, I enrolled in the masters of clinical laboratory science program at UNM and began studying for the MCAT while continuing to work full time managing the hospital lab. It's amazing what you can squeeze into a day if you just decide that you're going to make it work. I was lucky to have the support of my company and boss which paid for the masters program and allowed me a flexible schedule.

After attempting to take a Kaplan class (I paid $1500 and only went to class twice) and rescheduling the test five times - I took the last administration in 2013 and scored a 33 on the MCAT. My study was entirely self directed and consisted of mostly practice tests with follow up in the weakest areas.

About halfway through my masters program and with the 33, I first applied to UNM in the 2014 application cycle and received my rejection letter about ~three weeks after my interview. (UNM interviews everyone who is a NM resident and meets their 3.0/22 GPA/MCAT minimum requirement)
At my post rejection interview, I was told that my application was premature without some physician shadowing.

During 2014, I squeezed in about 80 hours of ER physician shadowing in addition to full time work and masters program.

I graduated in July 2014 after nearly getting all A's (I got one B in cellular biology). Not sure if this is common knowledge or not but before the masters program I did not know that professors basically give you an A or B in (non-SMP) graduate school (meaning that you essential only have to be in the top half of the class to get an A).

After rewriting everything and applying a couple months earlier this time (in September) I once again applied to only UNM for the 2015 cycle.

Interviews went a little better the second time and I got on the waiting list before being rejected again.
Although their was no post rejection interview this time, I did get hints from my interviewers that the ADCOM liked seeing primary care shadowing.

It was a bit of a struggle finding a primary care doc to shadow, but a friend of a friend came though one day and I was able to turn my post-masters time into about 40 hours of primary care shadowing along with continued ER doc shadowing (now around 120 hours). For an additional app improvement, I submitted a couple research abstracts to national pathology conferences after completing two pathology research studies and present a poster at ASCP in Long Beach, CA. (This sounds kinda impressive but was probably one of the easier app improvements compared with MCAT studying, a masters degree and clinician shadowing)

This time I didn't rewrite much as I was happy with most of my AMCAS and secondary essays. I did however apply to three more schools for the first time including GW, Tulane, and Virginia tech in addition to UNM again.
Everyone was telling me to apply to DO schools during this three year process and I never did for a few reasons. 1) I didn't think I'd be able to go to the speciality of my choice with a DO (I've have since found that this is almost completely unfounded) 2) expensive compared with UNM's $16,500/year tuition. 3) I was lazy and didn't want to go through the AACOM app.
I was rejected from GW, Tulane and Virginia tech fairly quickly with no interviews (I had selected these schools based on a variety of stats including out of state acceptances, % of students accepted with grad degree, GPA, etc).

I received my acceptance letter on 12/15/15 from UNM. Finally getting in was truly surreal. My whole identify for the last five years has been getting into med school and it somehow feels odd moving on to a new self. That being said I am thrilled and cannot wait to start. I've learned quite a bit along the way so feel free to ask questions if you'd like. I wanted to post in this forum to let everyone know that it is possible - It just takes a ton of work and a little longer for those of us that were a bit unfocused in undergrad ;)

Thank you for posting this! TBH, I regularly check this site just to see what others who are in my scenario (under a 3.0 undergrad) did and how they overcame things. I know that it's not always a happy story and I know that I should expect rejection my first go round, maybe even my second, but I think with persistence and and a drive to ultimately get to where I want to be--whether it takes 2 years or 10 it will not matter.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
As a sub (2.99 at the time of last app, up to 3.10-3.11 for this cycle), lots of hard work will get you there - I just wen thru a cycle of total rejection, but just know you have to keep pressing forward and being realistic about where things are. Stay motivated, work hard, and get that GPA over the hump!

Hi everyone! I'm just wondering when the application cycle starts for most DO schools. I am also wondering if I should only submit my first application if I have the GPA I am shooting for, or if I should submit the app first with my current GPA and then update it when the semester is over. I am wondering the same with my MCAT score. should i start submitting apps before I take the mcat then update it?
Let me know what you all think!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I'm just wondering when the application cycle starts for most DO schools. I am also wondering if I should only submit my first application if I have the GPA I am shooting for, or if I should submit the app first with my current GPA and then update it when the semester is over. I am wondering the same with my MCAT score. should i start submitting apps before I take the mcat then update it?
Let me know what you all think!

DO cycle should start this year sometime in early May. It will take a day or two to fill out everything and then up to 4 weeks for your application to be verified by AACOMAS. Are you taking any summer courses? AACOMAS allows you to do an academic update in September and then again in January for summer and fall grades, respectively.

On the MCAT section you will input your test date. You can update your score once the AAMC releases your score. Also you can send your mcat score to each DO school you applied to

^ I have this going in another thread, but AACOMAS allows you to submit the very first day the app opens or something like that right? There is no open May 1 submit June 1 like AMCAS? How does that work for transcripts/LOR from inter folio?

^ I have this going in another thread, but AACOMAS allows you to submit the very first day the app opens or something like that right? There is no open May 1 submit June 1 like AMCAS? How does that work for transcripts/LOR from inter folio?

in 2015 it was around May 4th or 5th that AACOMAS opened up and you could submit and pay that day once you filled out everything. You can have your transcripts sent into AACOMAS before you pay, but AACOMAS won't start the verification process until you pay and they have received your all your transcripts. Once they receive your transcripts, it takes about 4 weeks for your application to be verified. Then your primary is shared with the DO schools you selected.

Please share your MCAT study/prep advice and tips! I just started studying.

Hey Kelslayne - As for the MCAT... let's just say I studied A LOT. My first step was to look at what the "average" amount of studying was for successful test takers. The number I came up with was 350hrs +/- 100hrs. So I figured if I wanted my score to be above average, that I would shoot for an above average amount of studying - 450 hours. So I looked at my schedule (I work full time 8-6), and figured how to get to that number. So at 20hrs/week studying in addition to working, I needed to start 6 months beforehand.

So starting in October, I just chipped away at my studies. It's been a while since I took the intro courses from undergrad so I had a lot to catch up on. I used:

- Kaplan: course, books, FLs, online resources (60%)
- Exam Krackers: books (20%)
- Kahn Academy: videos and practice Qs (10%)
- Misc Resources: Princeton Review FL, Wikipedia, etc (10%)

In my mind, Exam Krackers isn't as in depth as other resources, so I started there. Worked through an entire book a week, about a section a night, and then moved into Kaplan after 1.5 months. I took their course and on my first simulated full length, I SUCKED - Scored a ~493 or something.

After my second Full-Length from Kaplan (504), my improvements became virtually linear. I scored 507, 509, 512, 514, taken every ~2-3 weeks. After each Full-Length, I'd look at which areas I felt weakest on. Kaplan has a handy tool which will group the questions into content areas and then give you a % correct. So using that I'd study the weakest areas for the next few weeks, and then take another FL.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat - for 6 months.

It wasn't a glamorous road. But it seems to have worked!

Best of luck! Hopefully this helped. Let me know if you have any questions! :D

Reactions: 1 users
I think the most helpful thing and thing that improved my score the most (7 points from my first "assessment" mcat to my actual score) was two thing;
1) Not prepping on my own - I'm a self studier and was really reluctant from the course, but the test taking strategies is what I was mostly there for - content was more so on my own terms - and content gaps are the easiest things to fix. There is a reason why most people don't get a better score on retakes without a significant changes, and it's because content gaps usually aren't the reason for lower scores.

2) REALLY working full length practice exams. Eat the same meal you would on test day. Make yourself feel stressed out, like it's a real exam. Use earplugs if you're going to on the real exam. Make this true simulation. It will make your actual test day 100% better. Secondly, after your full length, really really really go thru it. Figure out WHY you missed the question. Most of the time it won't be because of a content gap. We used a list of "reasons" such as;
- Misread the questions
- Opposite (they asked a question looking for the opposite answer)
- POE guess
- Forgot formula
- Content Gap
- Trap question
- Etc.

Well, just finished the last final in my first quarter towards the long and arduous journey to grade redemption. I went into them with As from my midterms but we'll see if I carried that through to the end lol... but on a more optimistic note, I felt pretty decently about both! As an undergrad I was used to going into finals totally defeated wondering if I was even going to pass, so it was certainly refreshing being able to have some confidence for once :).

Nice work! I had a scheduling mishap (stupid proctor scheduled me on a day they do GED testing and don't do proctored testing, so I had to change all my test schedules) so now I have back to back biochem/upper division ecology tomorrow. Argh

Ack, organization issues... On the bright side, you get another night to review the material again haha. Good luck!

Thanks for the tips guys! I'm self studying the Kaplan books now, I'm not sure how much time I'm putting in, but I've decided to take my MCAT in August and apply to some DO schools a little late, because I think my MCAT will be highest then. And if I don't get in I can use my score next cycle. I'm not aware of how much time I've actually been studying, maybe 15 hours a week. I have 3 full length practice exams to use, but I'll probably buy more. Hopefully they're cheap.

I'm feeling really disheartened right now. I'm taking 19 credit hours, 3 classes on quarter system and 3 on semester. I think I bit off way more than I can chew. It looks like I'll be getting straight B's in my quarter classes, which are my science classes. My online classes are retakes for my AACOMAS gpa.

I took a final last night that brought my grade down and I have two more finals today and tomorrow. Ughhhh

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't get discouraged, sometimes one great exam is all you need to boost you back up. This semester I started rough in Physics II, getting a 33% on an exam. My midterm grade was a D. My second exam I worked my ass off and got an 87% which boosted my total grade to a B- without the curve. I'm now more confident and excited for future material.

Welp crashed and burned on the ecology final (talk about the most random test questions, out of no where - and everyone I talked to felt the same way), but killed the biochem - which I studied my ASS off for. I prolly put in 25-30 hours of studying, and ended up with a 176/200 (high of 1 84), with the average being a 117/200. Can't complain too much, now is the fun waiting game of waiting for grades to post in classes that all have crazy curves. Hooray

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
None of my classes are curved this semester and I'm really struggling in biochem and physics 2. Actually starting to really worry, I can't afford to drop them or get lower than a B.

My molecular bio teacher was asked if he curves total points at the end or after each test, and he said "I don't believe in curves."

Pretty much the whole class went :eek:

@BlastedHeath Sorry to hear that :( Is there a way you can cut back on some of your other commitments for a little while so you can get more time to focus on the material? One thing I did in a previous class was form an online "study group" kind of thing where some classmates would Skype each other and work out problems together. You've still got half of the semester left at least!

My molecular bio teacher was asked if he curves total points at the end or after each test, and he said "I don't believe in curves."

Pretty much the whole class went :eek:

@BlastedHeath Sorry to hear that :( Is there a way you can cut back on some of your other commitments for a little while so you can get more time to focus on the material? One thing I did in a previous class was form an online "study group" kind of thing where some classmates would Skype each other and work out problems together. You've still got half of the semester left at least!
I'm trying, and I think I'll do better the rest of the semester, but I've already dug a pretty big hole, especially in biochem. The overall grade is based 95% on only 3 tests, and I completely bombed the first one. I think I need above 93% on the next two in order to get a B in the class. Not impossible, but definitely worrying, especially because I've had this amazing grade trend and then it drops off in my last semester.

@BlastedHeath
You can do it, man!! Put in your 100 percent in. If and big if you didn't get A, it's your best effort and you will be sastisfied. Do not be defeated before the battle end. You never know. I had a lot of classes like that where the first test suck. Then adaptation come in, the rest = As.

P.S. Classes are all As now but I feel exhausted. Lol I just need couple days of good sleep. Anybody feel this way? :( I might just called off work or treat something nice to myself. I deserve it.

I'm feeling really disheartened right now. I'm taking 19 credit hours, 3 classes on quarter system and 3 on semester. I think I bit off way more than I can chew. It looks like I'll be getting straight B's in my quarter classes, which are my science classes. My online classes are retakes for my AACOMAS gpa.

I took a final last night that brought my grade down and I have two more finals today and tomorrow. Ughhhh
@SailorHg why are you taking so many classes??especially when you're retaking. You need to be sure you're in a good shape to get As. IMO, next sesmester change your approach. Right now though, you need to add in more hours and adjust your study technique base on each class. You have more foods than you can chew right now. Add in more time or chew more efficiently.

No matter what though, do not let your negative thoughts affect your moods. It'll affect your studies. Pick yourself up (do whatever make you feel good). Then get back in the game. You can do it.

I finally did the terrifying task of calculating what my GPA (oh god, the cringe from all those mediocre undergrad grades...) and if I theoretically pull all As by this time next year my GPA will be above 3.0 :soexcited:! I mean that's still certainly not enough to make adcoms even blink in my direction, and I probably shouldn't be celebrating because it hasn't happened/isn't guaranteed to happen lol, but hey at least now there's hope I won't be auto-screened out at some schools.

Small glimmers of hope to keep the raft afloat!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys! I know that this probably sounds stupid but I recently graduated from a UC with a gpa of about 2.4. I know I want to try for medical school but Im honestly praying for any kind of health care path. I realize that my one of my options at this point is grade replacement for DO schools but I received a bunch of bad grades for upper division classes as well so I dont know how that would work out for me. Not just that but because of my low GPA I cant apply to post- bacc programs or SMP's. Something that I had in mind was going through undergrad again through a community college then transferring to a 4 year to receive my second bachelors to work my ass off for a better GPA. I read in some other forums that ALL of my transcripts need to be sent when I apply which obviously means that my bad gpa from my first attempt at undergrad will be seen but I was wondering how much weight it would have throughout the application process for not just med school but for other schools too. I realize that I screwed up really badly but I wish there was a way to start off with a clean slate :( Any help would be appreciated!

Something that I had in mind was going through undergrad again through a community college then transferring to a 4 year to receive my second bachelors to work my ass off for a better GPA. I read in some other forums that ALL of my transcripts need to be sent when I apply which obviously means that my bad gpa from my first attempt at undergrad will be seen but I was wondering how much weight it would have throughout the application process for not just med school but for other schools too. I realize that I screwed up really badly but I wish there was a way to start off with a clean slate :( Any help would be appreciated!

If you have the means to do so, that's certainly a viable option that has worked for several non-trads in need of great GPA repair. Yes that's correct when applying to professional schools requires you to report ALL your grades ever received at ANY institution. Unfortunately your first uGPA does carry a lot of weight, and it's going to be a very long, hard, uphill battle... but it's not like it hasn't been done before. If you can manage to pull off several years of great, full-time academic performance then you might stand a chance at getting those schools to look more favorably at you (i.e. show that the you today is different and more mature than the you in undergrad). In addition also work on fleshing out the rest of your application as best as possible: ace the MCAT or GRE or whatever test, shadow the positions you're interested in, get clinical exposure, volunteer your time with a cause you believe in, etc.

If you're willing to wait 10 years or so, I believe Texas has an academic fresh start sort of thing where if you're a resident you can apply to have your previous grades "expunged" and start over, and Texas medical schools will recognize that. So that's another route you could take.

In regards to your upper div question, I know several UCs allow people to sign up for any classes on the main campus through their extension. You get bottom priority so there is no guarantee you will get in, but if you do then that's a way you can retake the upper div. If not at your undergrad UC, then perhaps a similar upper div class exists at a nearby UC. If you end up going the route of cc -> transfer, then your transfer school might have similar upper divs. I don't know the app process for nursing, PA, etc, but at least for MD schools they won't replace your previous grades, however they will see your recent strong academic performance and recognize you saw your weaknesses and made up for them. DO schools will replace the grade with the most recent one, if the course is similar in credits and content.

For MD and DO, those old grades hold weight for a long, long, time (aka forever...I'm at 10+ years and still being dogged by old grades). Grade replacement and DO is one way to fix, but for MD you pretty much end up being screwed. The general consensus on here is you need to get your AMCAS gpa about 3.0 to have a shot (someone feel free to correct me on this). Having them in upper division is rough, but the path forward for DO would most likely involve cc-->4 year or signing up as a post-bac which some institutions allow you to register the first day of class etc.

mavric and etp summed it up pretty nicely for ya wingless. Uphill battle? Yes. Impossible? No, certainly not. You will have to have great patience, persistence, and dedication. DO with grade replacement will be the most efficient use of your time/money/resources. Start retaking all your science classes that you have less than a B in. From there we can formulate further game plans with you.

So when calculating your GPA for AACOMAS and AAMC you use the spreadsheets that are found on SDN right? So how does retakes work, and W's? Do we put W's in? And what defines a science course or not? For instance, I took a nursing anatomy class at a CC, I assume it would be a science course, is math considered science?

So when calculating your GPA for AACOMAS and AAMC you use the spreadsheets that are found on SDN right? So how does retakes work, and W's? Do we put W's in? And what defines a science course or not? For instance, I took a nursing anatomy class at a CC, I assume it would be a science course, is math considered science?

This thread has the link to the AACOMAS gpa calculator that you will need. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/aacomas-gpa-calculator-revised.839864/

Math is not considered a Science course for DO school. I believe a nursing course is. The aacomas website has the courses listed as science and non-science listed. A W would not be held against you in your gpa. For AACOMAS your newest grade would be counted in your gpa calculation for retaken courses.

For AMCAS the grade is just averaged between the old and the retake.

I put together a calculator that is floating around somewhere that is pretty in detail, has both AMCAS and AACOMAS sheets, and will be able to help if you have issues. I am however, too lazy to go find the thread right now :whistle:

when you find it if you have issues just PM me

I put together a calculator that is floating around somewhere that is pretty in detail, has both AMCAS and AACOMAS sheets, and will be able to help if you have issues. I am however, too lazy to go find the thread right now :whistle:

when you find it if you have issues just PM me

Thanks! I'll find it and will definitely PM you if needed. I haven't started the daunting task yet but I should since my CC GPA was 3.64 and my 4-year school is much lower but it changes so much with each semester, I should probably see where I'm standing now, and theoretically when I apply.

After finally calculating my GPA, it looks like it's not as bad as I thought it would be. around 3.4 cGPA and 3.2 sGPA. With a 500 MCAT (guessing, taking it in August for the best score) and lots of clinical experience working in ERs, I think I have a good shot at some DO schools. I was panicky because I transferred to my 4 year after my AA and my GPA there (All hard sciences) is only 2.74 But luckily with each great semester it bumps it up a lot. What'll be interesting to see is how I go about putting my other grades on there. I transfered from one CC and dropped out at 18, and then went to the one I got my AA at initially and failed my two classes that I signed up for at age 20. (Wasn't ready for school). When I was ready, I went back right away and retook those classes first getting an A- and a B+ in them. But either way I assume my chances at MD are very slim, and since I'm from the Des Moines area, my heart is set on DMU since I've met so many amazing docs who've gone there.

This forum is my new home.

I graduated last year with a high school diploma and AA with almost a 4.0 in both college and high school in this not-so-great early college program type of thing. But after transferring to a 4 year school, my GPA was wiped clean and now it's a 2.52. I'm technically a junior credit hour wise, but no where near close to being done with my med school pre-reqs so I'm basically a freshman in that sense. I'm currently retaking pre-calculus I, as I had basically been forced take it online last semester and was two points from getting a C, and I'm a good ten points away from making a C in both general bio II and gen chem II. I'm tired of getting C's, B's and D's. Seems like it's been forever since my last A. And because I'm struggling so much in math and chemistry, it makes me wonder how I'll survive biochem and physics in the future.

This forum is my new home.

I graduated last year with a high school diploma and AA with almost a 4.0 in both college and high school in this not-so-great early college program type of thing. But after transferring to a 4 year school, my GPA was wiped clean and now it's a 2.52. I'm technically a junior credit hour wise, but no where near close to being done with my med school pre-reqs so I'm basically a freshman in that sense. I'm currently retaking pre-calculus I, as I had basically been forced take it online last semester and was two points from getting a C, and I'm a good ten points away from making a C in both general bio II and gen chem II. I'm tired of getting C's, B's and D's. Seems like it's been forever since my last A. And because I'm struggling so much in math and chemistry, it makes me wonder how I'll survive biochem and physics in the future.

Keep pushing. Get the study guides, any extra help you can get, even YouTube problems..budget your time to study more..understanding the problems and getting good at them makes you want to study more and gives you confidence.

I know it sounds silly but I got behind on my first semester back after graduating with a lousy 2.71 uGPA. Halfway through the semester with Bio 1,2 and Chem 1 and Physics 1 had a 2.75 and started to panic...literally went to office hours any time I could and any problem I didn't understand I studied until I knew it back and forth. Unnerving but it worked. Finished up with just 1 B and 3 A's. I'm still crossing my fingers that I'll get past the Orgo's, the Genetics, Anatomy and Biochems all before next application cycle all while prepping for the MCAT, but I'd be lying if I said seeing the stories here haven't given me hope! Keep at it! If you want it bad enough I believe you will get there!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

My cumulative GPA is a 2.95, but I haven't taken any science prerecs as of yet. I did a masters in experimental psychology and finished with a 4.0 and a manuscript to submit for publication. Do you think the graduate school experience and success plus dominating prerecs and the MCAT will be enough from a numbers standpoint?

If you kill your science classes, of course you'll have a chance. DO basically always rewards reinvention/hard work, and you may even have a chance at some MD with the right pre-req grades and a good MCAT.

I got a question. I received a B in Physics I and a C in Physics II. Should I retake Physics I as a refresher for Physics II?

or Should I take Virology (never taken this course) this coming fall and self study Physics I in preparation for Physics II in the spring?

Fall schedule
Virology
Biology I
Organic Chemistry I

or

Physics I
Biology I
Organic Chemistry I

I would retake anything C or below..I'm not sure what the consensus is here on that. But definitely wouldn't retake a course you got a B in.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Yeah and for the most part you can take any of the individual physics without much knowledge in the others, at least with how we have ours setup

@228 and mavric1298
Okay. that's what I was thinking. I won't take Physics I then.

I also received a B in the lecture portion of Ochem I and a C in the Lab portion. I received a C in both portions of Ochem II lecture/Lab. I was wondering if it would be wise to retake Ochem I because I have forgotten pretty much everything in preparation for Ochem II.

DO cycle should start this year sometime in early May. It will take a day or two to fill out everything and then up to 4 weeks for your application to be verified by AACOMAS. Are you taking any summer courses? AACOMAS allows you to do an academic update in September and then again in January for summer and fall grades, respectively.

On the MCAT section you will input your test date. You can update your score once the AAMC releases your score. Also you can send your mcat score to each DO school you applied to

Hi MajorUnderDog,
I am hoping to attend DO school in the fall of 2017, but I am considering taking a gap year. Would I be applying too early if I submitted my application in May? yes I am taking summer courses and I graduate in spring of 2017.

^ I'm confused as to what your question is...

There really is no such thing as too early - the earlier the better?

Hi MajorUnderDog,
I am hoping to attend DO school in the fall of 2017, but I am considering taking a gap year. Would I be applying too early if I submitted my application in May? yes I am taking summer courses and I graduate in spring of 2017.

You mean you really want to apply this summer and then start med school in fall of 2017? Or are you asking if you should wait and apply in summer of 2017 and start med school in fall 2018?

I also received a B in the lecture portion of Ochem I and a C in the Lab portion. I received a C in both portions of Ochem II lecture/Lab. I was wondering if it would be wise to retake Ochem I because I have forgotten pretty much everything in preparation for Ochem II.

Have you taken biochemistry or any sort of intro molecular/cell bio sort of courses yet? Just asking since you want to take virology and a course like that usually requires a solid foundation in bio/biochem beforehand, and it seems you haven't taken Bio I yet?

As for retaking Ochem I, maybe you don't need to formally retake it for a grade but I would certainly brush up on it as ochem II typically builds up on those concepts (resonance, nucleo/electrophilic attacks, structures/stereoisomers/etc, etc). I find that the better you are with that, the better you understand the "logic" behind some of the mechanisms.

@etp123
I have taken biology I (got a C) and biochemistry (got a C) but I didn't really try when I took these classes (I always studied the night before). I am also going to retake both of those as I have matured and learned from my past. I prefer to just retake Ochem I because I want to have a solid foundation for Ochem II. I haven't taken the MCAT and I won't bother thinking about it til I am done with my diy post-bac.

Do you think it is redundant to take virology because I have taken bacteriology and advanced bacteriology?

@Shotapp

I see, well best of luck then :) . Well virology is different from bacteriology, so it wouldn't be redundant from a content point of view, but I'm not sure what your past and present course schedule/plans are so I can't guess if you'd need to take it or not. It's a nice, hard science elective that will look good if you do well, I would think. Unless you have a lot of upper div science electives you did well in, then perhaps you don't need virology. Or you could take it and do well to help further boost your GPA.

This forum really calms my nerves. Makes me not feel so crazy that I screwed up my undergrad so bad.

My question is I have to retake my first 2 yrs basically and the area I live in has no night classes except places like Kaplan and U of Phoenix. I've been searching for days and I an having a hard time convincing myself that any DO school would accept retakes from them. Anyone have experience with that? I've looked through all my local colleges even if I have to drive for an hour. I currently work full-time in biotech. My boss would give me leeway if I had to travel for classes that started at 5pm once a week but that's my absolute final resort.

My plan is to start retaking Gen and O Chem. I also need more anatomy, physiology, and physics (never took it in college). It seems I have about 3-4 semesters before I even think about taking the MCAT so I'm in no rush lol I need all A's.

@etp123
Thanks for the advice. I took a few upper division courses but I mostly made Bs in them. Both bacteriology and advance bacteriology focused mostly on viruses, immunology bacterial organisms and antibiotics (they both were heavily detailed and challenging) Virology sounds like an interesting class so I will take it to boost my gpa. I am so hungry to get back to class/studying.

Last edited:
Physics II is completely independent of Physics I in my experience. I got a C in I and am working on either a B or A in Physics II currently, which I think is much easier. (But I'm one of the few)

Physics II is completely independent of Physics I in my experience. I got a C in I and am working on either a B or A in Physics II currently, which I think is much easier. (But I'm one of the few)

Switch it for me lol. I really enjoyed physics I but was dying in II

Switch it for me lol. I really enjoyed physics I but was dying in II
Nice! I honestly think I struggled so much with physics I because the last math class I had taken was Calculus I like two years prior. Granted, I was good at it and got an A. But my high school math, trig, and algebra was very rusty since it had been 8 years since I was doing that stuff. So physics I sucked. Physics II so far I love, minus the circuitry and Kirchoff's law's crap.