Below 3.0 gpa Support Group/Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'm finally in the home stretch. My university calculated GPA is finally over a 3.0 again after completing 5 semesters at a 4.0 full time. AMCAS is still a bit below a 3.0 but one more semester at a 4 will push me over the proverbial hill. I'm registered for the March 22nd MCAT so after Christmas i'm going to hit the books hard while I have free time (school is out till the 13th here).

best of luck. seems like you're on the right track. as always, we're here for tips/advice/venting, etc :)

This has always been my favorite thread. Just wanted to encourage everyone to not get discouraged or give up. I was just accepted into medical school with a undergrad GPA that was waaay below a 2.5, and a 22 mcat score. I did complete a masters degree and recently ended with a 3.7, so don't be afraid to pursue other options in your goals to become physicians. I would love it if some of you would be so kind to check out my blog where I am currently documenting my journey: www.aspiringminoritydoctor.com

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's great, NorthernMav! Congratulations. I'm surprised you didn't get any love with that 3.84 over 40 credits. Did you apply strictly MD?
Yes, only MD. I made the horrible mistake of not preparing for interviews.

This has always been my favorite thread. Just wanted to encourage everyone to not get discouraged or give up. I was just accepted into medical school with a undergrad GPA that was waaay below a 2.5, and a 22 mcat score. I did complete a masters degree and recently ended with a 3.7, so don't be afraid to pursue other options in your goals to become physicians. I would love it if some of you would be so kind to check out my blog where I am currently documenting my journey: www.aspiringminoritydoctor.com

Thank you so much for your post, it definitely serves as a major source of inspiration for those trying to figure out where to go right after graduation (like me).

I graduated this past fall semester with an overall cgpa of 2.8 and a sgpa of 2.6. I'm not proud of it and am now looking to retake all science courses I got Cs in on a part-time basis while working full-time. Those courses will include Physics II, Biochem, Cell Bio, Physio, Orgo II, and Calc I. In addition, I plan to eventually also take Anatomy, Immunology, and Microbio for additional science credits.

I'm otherwise super grateful for all the support that everyone has provided in here and am truly rooting for everyone else that is currently going through the course retake process too!

Thank you so much for your post, it definitely serves as a major source of inspiration for those trying to figure out where to go right after graduation (like me).

I graduated this past fall semester with an overall cgpa of 2.8 and a sgpa of 2.6. I'm not proud of it and am now looking to retake all science courses I got Cs in on a part-time basis while working full-time. Those courses will include Physics II, Biochem, Cell Bio, Physio, Orgo II, and Calc I. In addition, I plan to eventually also take Anatomy, Immunology, and Microbio for additional science credits.

I'm otherwise super grateful for all the support that everyone has provided in here and am truly rooting for everyone else that is currently going through the course retake process too!

You're welcome and good luck to you in your journey! I actually decided to skip the retake process because I had way to many C's to count. Going the graduate route really helped me and I got the chance to take new classes as well. It's definitely not easy, but it is sooo worth it!

Does anyone happen to to know when it's best to re-take all C/D/F courses versus going to graduate for masters/post-bacc? I have about 7 Cs (mostly in the chem area, few non-science) with 1 D (adv. bio) that was re-taken to a C. I have not taken the MCAT yet [plan on taking it in March or again in the late summer if March does not go smoothly]. Up until this semester (I'm a fourth year undergrad now) I have finally emerged from under a 3.0 gpa (overall at my school, science, non-science, and cumulative). I went to my school's pre-health center and I had answers that ranged from graduating this semester and re-taking courses to graduating this fall and applying to schools with MPH programs, and many combinations in-between the two.

Mph is tricky. Unless you want to do something pertaining to public health, it's largely useless. I have in person spoken to a student involved in the admissions process and was told that it is a popular and uninterestin EC at best unless utilized appropriately.

Does anyone happen to to know when it's best to re-take all C/D/F courses versus going to graduate for masters/post-bacc? I have about 7 Cs (mostly in the chem area, few non-science) with 1 D (adv. bio) that was re-taken to a C. I have not taken the MCAT yet [plan on taking it in March or again in the late summer if March does not go smoothly]. Up until this semester (I'm a fourth year undergrad now) I have finally emerged from under a 3.0 gpa (overall at my school, science, non-science, and cumulative). I went to my school's pre-health center and I had answers that ranged from graduating this semester and re-taking courses to graduating this fall and applying to schools with MPH programs, and many combinations in-between the two.

If you want to avoid the graduate/postbac route then retake as soon as possible if you can and extend your graduation date. My undergrad institution didn't allow retakes of C's or other passing grades so I had no choice but to do everything after graduating.

I'm wondering, how can you replace your bad grades? I'm about to graduate with an English major but took a bit of premed classes I got all B's for en bio but C's on my chem :-/. Would you replace those grades by doing post bacc in my situation or any other options?

I'm wondering, how can you replace your bad grades? I'm about to graduate with an English major but took a bit of premed classes I got all B's for en bio but C's on my chem :-/. Would you replace those grades by doing post bacc in my situation or any other options?
You can enroll in post-bacc courses informally and retake any of the courses you received poor grades in. However, do note that your new grades will not 'replace' the old ones if you are applying to MD. The AMCAS GPA calculation will factor in both grades. Although for D.O. you can replace them entirely.

DO is the way to go for grade replacement

Members don't see this ad :)
Spring Semester has started back up for me!

Taking the mcat on March 22nd!

Found some pretty inspirational quotes for y'all!

"Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use."

-- Earl Nightingale

"The path that leads to what we truly desire is long and difficult, but only by following that path do we achieve our goal"

--Master Splinter

Reactions: 1 users
Spring Semester has started back up for me!

Taking the mcat on March 22nd!

If you find yourself still up at 3:00 a.m. the night before, whatever you do, do not take night time Tylenol nighttime to get to bed. I made that mistake and fell asleep at the keyboard during the exam.

Is taking Calc 1 (3 hours) and Chem 2 without the lab (4 hours), plus working beyond full time a bad idea? I was lucky enough to snag the two courses at a very reasonable time (evening & weekend). Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
I need some advice please.
How would I go about managing my time for my postbac classes I'll begin in the summer while working?
I'm considering working parttime so I won't feel overwhelmed. I'll be taking organic chem 2 and physics 2 this coming summer. I'm very eager to get back into the class room but I'm also nervous about taking these two classes together. I'm ready to put in the necessary work to get that "A" and master the material for the mcat. I just need advice on how to juggle a job and school cause I have never done it before.

How would I go about managing my time for my postbac classes I'll begin in the summer while working?
I'm considering working parttime so I won't feel overwhelmed. I'll be taking organic chem 2 and physics 2 this coming summer. I'm very eager to get back into the class room but I'm also nervous about taking these two classes together. I'm ready to put in the necessary work to get that "A" and master the material for the mcat. I just need advice on how to juggle a job and school cause I have never done it before.

Instead of taking them at the same time can you take one earlier in the summer and the other in later part?

Is taking Calc 1 (3 hours) and Chem 2 without the lab (4 hours), plus working beyond full time a bad idea? I was lucky enough to snag the two courses at a very reasonable time (evening & weekend). Thanks for your help!

I'd be careful. Use your time diligently

Reactions: 1 user
Instead of taking them at the same time can you take one earlier in the summer and the other in later part?

Unfortunately, the school I plan on attending doesn't have those classes arranged in my favor. I actually plan on taking just ochem 2. I really want to focus on getting an "A" in one class so I can raise my science gpa. The semester after summer I'll take two classes then three and so forth... I'm going to take a steady approach until I can handle that pressure once again.

I took two courses a semester while working full-time and volunteering; it can definitely be done. Are these night courses? If so, then days you have class will be long and draining. However, you can use the days that you do not have class and the weekends to study for exams. You will be "burning the wick at both ends," but it's a necessary sacrifice to achieve your goal.

Don't be nervous. Once you start you will figure out a schedule that works for you.

I've worked full time (which for me is about 60 hours a week) through 90% of my undergrad and post-bacc. I only had one nice break for paramedic school where I was living with my ex-boyfriend and didn't have to work. Here's my advice for working full time and going to school:

• Keep a planned schedule for the month- take your syllabus, outline test dates on your schedule and make sure you have at least 1-2 days off before an exam to study.
  • Don't work late hours before morning classes because you'll be tempted to sleep in.
  • Outline study time on your schedule and stick to them like you would a work schedule. Be sure to study somewhere productive- for me this has to be on campus or in a library or quiet area at work. There's too many distractions for me at home to study.
  • Orgo II and Physics II and working is essentially like going to class full time for 15+ credits- plan accordingly in the beginning and you should be fine handling it, but don't underestimate the time you'll need to study for both and do HW etc.
Stay positive, take care of yourself, sleep well and you'll do fine.

Steph

Reactions: 4 users
I took two courses a semester while working full-time and volunteering; it can definitely be done. Are these night courses? If so, then days you have class will be long and draining. However, you can use the days that you do not have class and the weekends to study for exams. You will be "burning the wick at both ends," but it's a necessary sacrifice to achieve your goal.

Don't be nervous. Once you start you will figure out a schedule that works for you.

I've worked full time (which for me is about 60 hours a week) through 90% of my undergrad and post-bacc. I only had one nice break for paramedic school where I was living with my ex-boyfriend and didn't have to work. Here's my advice for working full time and going to school:

• Keep a planned schedule for the month- take your syllabus, outline test dates on your schedule and make sure you have at least 1-2 days off before an exam to study.
  • Don't work late hours before morning classes because you'll be tempted to sleep in.
  • Outline study time on your schedule and stick to them like you would a work schedule. Be sure to study somewhere productive- for me this has to be on campus or in a library or quiet area at work. There's too many distractions for me at home to study.
  • Orgo II and Physics II and working is essentially like going to class full time for 15+ credits- plan accordingly in the beginning and you should be fine handling it, but don't underestimate the time you'll need to study for both and do HW etc.
Stay positive, take care of yourself, sleep well and you'll do fine.

Steph

Thanks guys, I'll definitely construct a schedule that I can follow and commit to when I begin in the summer. Thanks for the tips.

Hey Steph, how did you work 60 hrs a week while maintainig good grades? (did you work on weekends too?)

Last edited:
No to the good grades- I didn't know I wanted to do medicine until my last semester, so I spent A LOT more time focused on work than school. My post bacc I have maintained A's and B's while working that much. I usually work almost every weekend so that I have weekdays off for class and studying. The result of making a late decision for medicine, and not focusing 100% on school was a great promotion and raise at work but now I'm scrambling/nervous for applying this year. If I don't get in this cycle I'll just take more classes to boost my GPA and re-apply next year.

After thinking about it

It really is best to take just one class at a time during the summer when dealing with the challenging science classes

After thinking about it

It really is best to take just one class at a time during the summer when dealing with the challenging science classes
ADCOMs do notice workload. If you aren't able to get an A+ while taking only one class they will notice.

Get a planner and literally schedule out every hour of your day (including eating times, sleeping, when you like to watch your favorite TV show, when you're in class, when you do laundry, everything). You'll be surprised by how much time you actually have that goes under utilized... like I squeeze in 30 min study sessions in between things when I'd normally be loafing around or grabbing coffee. I carry my notes or Ipad around, so if I'm on the train or waiting in the dentist's office I can go over Genetics a little bit. lol nerdy, but it gets the job done. If you're hungry enough and willing to put in the work... you can definitely get that A! go head!

Get a planner and literally schedule out every hour of your day (including eating times, sleeping, when you like to watch your favorite TV show, when you're in class, when you do laundry, everything). You'll be surprised by how much time you actually have that goes under utilized... like I squeeze in 30 min study sessions in between things when I'd normally be loafing around or grabbing coffee. I carry my notes or Ipad around, so if I'm on the train or waiting in the dentist's office I can go over Genetics a little bit. lol nerdy, but it gets the job done. If you're hungry enough and willing to put in the work... you can definitely get that A! go head!

Wow. I'll definitely give that a try. Time is an awful thing to waste and I need to utilize every bit of it to stay on top of my studies. Thanks for this nice tip.

I've jumped on this boat! Does anyone know about Barry University's SMP program? It sounded legit from the website but I don't want to take at face value.

I'm glad I'm on this part of the forum, you guys are great for doing what you do to get to where you want to be. Unfortunately, other areas of the forum are so negative and I feel like trying to go to med school may be useless or impossible, but I think if I do consider it seriously, I may apply within the next 2-3 years

Ment to post this on Jan. 1st but forgot

Another year

And this one flew by even faster than the last.

A question to think about, how did you spend your last year.

Living it like it was your last or unfulfilled and unsatisfied with it?

I've jumped on this boat! Does anyone know about Barry University's SMP program? It sounded legit from the website but I don't want to take at face value.

Don't do it! If you are gonna do an SMP, do one that is at a school that actually has a med school (Barry only has a podiatry school, no MD). I went through the whole SMP process last year and am at one now if you have any questions.

Hey Folks! I just wanted to share a little inside info I just got from a meeting with an Admissions Director I met with... this particular school uses a metric based on your UG GPA multiplied by your average sectional MCAT score (ie: GPA x MCAT score/3) to grant interviews. She also stated that they just matriculated a student w/ a 2.9 UG GPA. It's do-able folks. Wherever you're at, keep working at it, improve your GPA through your post-bacc, rock the MCAT score, and build a complete app that shows you're the rockstar you are!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey Folks! I just wanted to share a little inside info I just got from a meeting with an Admissions Director I met with... this particular school uses a metric based on your UG GPA multiplied by your average sectional MCAT score (ie: GPA x MCAT score/3) to grant interviews. She also stated that they just matriculated a student w/ a 2.9 UG GPA. It's do-able folks. Wherever you're at, keep working at it, improve your GPA through your post-bacc, rock the MCAT score, and build a complete app that shows you're the rockstar you are!
Nice! Is it a DO or MD school?

Hi everyone, just joined studentdoctor.net and I just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone who has contributed to this specific thread... I graduated in 2007 and had a lot of growing up to do, but in my heart of hearts, I had always felt I was born to be a doctor.. i've tried to drown out the "calling" (hehe!) in my heart, i tried other fields, told myself it's already too late being I'm already so many years outside of undergrad and didn't pursue any post-bacc/grad school, just a bunch of excuses really because i was really afraid to fail.... but as wayne gretzky says -- you fail 100% of the shots you DON'T take!

i did decently in UG (cGPA is above 3.0, but my sGPA tanked with a couple of C's here and there), but not competitive enough to really stand out, I haven't taken the MCATs (though my senior year in UG i attempted to do so twice, but kept getting into situations where I was just too distracted to really go for it), and my plan is to take a few online classes to start me off into taking classes again in general and then pursue a formal post-bacc program.. I honestly thought maybe i should just go into PA school, but fate brought me to this site and reading everyone's stories encouraged me tremendously to listen to my heart and pursue my true original dream of going to med school.. I don't exactly know where this will all lead me, but this time around, I am truly ready to commit to ME and my pursuit of becoming a doctor 100%!

...but fate brought me to this site....
Are you sure it wasn't Google that brought you here? :laugh:

On a serious note, I hope you find the information and inspiration you need to develop a solid comback plan to achieve your goal. I graduated in 2007 and only had around a 2.7 GPA to build on. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Are you sure it wasn't Google that brought you here? :laugh:

On a serious note, I hope you find the information and inspiration you need to develop a solid comback plan to achieve your goal. I graduated in 2007 and only had around a 2.7 GPA to build on. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

Well technically, yes Google did bring me here sort of...? LOL I was looking for PA-related stuff to study for the GREs.... and someone else's site led me to this page somehow? I have been lurking on this forum for a couple weeks now, just reading this thread mostly... and I guess I really couldn't shake the nagging feeling anymore that this is REALLY what I want, and standing in the sidelines feel like such a cop out when I myself can embark on the journey and let it take me where I'm supposed to be :)

I will be PMing for lots of advice, thank so much for your availability!

Hey guys. I was wondering if I should take organic chemistry II over the summer because its been nearly 3 years since I had organic chemistry I. I got a B in the lecture part of ochem I and a C in the lab. Should I retake ochem I as a refresher or jump straight to ochem II cause I don't remember a thing?

Thanks

Nice! Is it a DO or MD school?

It was a public MD school.

Hey guys. I was wondering if I should take organic chemistry II over the summer because its been nearly 3 years since I had organic chemistry I. I got a B in the lecture part of ochem I and a C in the lab. Should I retake ochem I as a refresher or jump straight to ochem II cause I don't remember a thing?

Thanks

I'd retake, no question. Unless the rest of your GPA is stellar, you'll SHOULD retake and crush the course, prepare yourself for OCHEM II, and move on with it fresh and with a solid grade. In my opinion, a B/C in one of the biggest indicator courses isn't going to show your abilities in a positive light. Move on without it, and you're at a deficit already...

I'd retake, no question. Unless the rest of your GPA is stellar, you'll SHOULD retake and crush the course, prepare yourself for OCHEM II, and move on with it fresh and with a solid grade. In my opinion, a B/C in one of the biggest indicator courses isn't going to show your abilities in a positive light. Move on without it, and you're at a deficit already...

Thanks for the reply Quik. I'm going to retake ochem I this summer then. So should I also retake physics I? When I took the class I ended up with a B but I didn't fully grasp the material because I was immature/lazy and the prof I took the class with wasn't very good at explaining the concepts (he was beyond smart but absolutely terrible at dumbing it down to a digestable level)

Thanks for the reply Quik. I'm going to retake ochem I this summer then. So should I also retake physics I? When I took the class I ended up with a B but I didn't fully grasp the material because I was immature/lazy and the prof I took the class with wasn't very good at explaining the concepts (he was beyond smart but absolutely terrible at dumbing it down to a digestable level)

I think it really depends on what your overall GPA looks like. Assuming by posting in this thread (below 3.0 support group) that it needs some rehab. A (B) isn't that bad, however if you retake an earn an A, your average between the two courses jumps up to a 3.5, a substantial improvement.

Personally, I'm nearly ten years removed from my undergrad and have a number of Bs & Cs in the pre-req courses I took back then. I decided to retake everything, replace all of them with A's and move forward with a relatively fresh start to show adcoms that my focus, maturity, and capability is far better than it was then and the bottom line that I can handle the rigor of the med school curriculum. I'll also be taking many more upper-division science courses than the minimal pre-reqs. Most of our competition (biology, chem, & other pre-med science majors) have been doing this all along, so your transcripts showing a sub-par GPA with only the minimum pre-req courses isn't likely to be very convincing along side the competition. I think that is something often overlooked that all of us non-trads should be considering when planning out our post-bacc; what will our traditional competition's applications look like? The one's who gain admittance are robust in every category, and thus we also better be robust and complete in every one as well. My advice to anyone, is don't rush the process. From speaking with ADCOMs, it is my impression that it is slightly more likely to gain admittance as a first time applicant with a complete and robust application, than it is as a re-applicant with an application equal to the prior.

My final suggestion, is if you are coming in with a lower than average GPA, you best have other categories that are better than average; ie. volunteerism and clinical experience. This is one of those uncalculable metrics that can make an otherwise unremarkable application pop out. Find something truly remarkable and service oriented, and commit to it.

Seeking advice, here is my story.....When I began playing my respective sport in the 1st grade, winning at the pinnacle of the game quickly became my goal. In my sport, the pinnacle is a Division 1 National Championship. After dedicating the majority of my high school years to the sport, I had scholarship offers at many of nations top colleges.
The University of Virginia seemed to have the best blend of athletic and academic excellence. When I arrived on campus, I focused on achieving my childhood dream, a D1 National Championship. While my peers were putting in hours in library I was in weight room and on the filed practicing. I was relentless. Finally, my senior year, as co-captain of the team, I lead the UVA program to a D1 National Championship title, mission success.
Upon graduation, I pursued another childhood goal, a job in U.S. Special Operations. After a few arduous years of training, I have achieved that goal. As I write this, I am sitting in land far away in a Crye Precision multi-cam uniform w/ an IR US flag on my right shoulder. Having traveled to third world countries and active combat zones, I have witnessed the need for medical professionals.
Further, I have found myself in situations in which my limited scope of practice, essentially a glorified EMT, has proved beyond frustrating. Now, at age 25 I want nothing more than to become a doctor. Upon becoming a doctor, I want to do more time in military before moving on to an organization like Médecins Sans Frontières.
However, I am plagued by a sub-par undergraduate GPA. I started my academic career on the pre-med track. However, half-way through both my performance on field and in the classroom were suffering. I had to chose one or the other. In the end it was sport, not academia that was funding my tuition. So, I changed majors and graduated with a 2.669 B.A. in Foreign Affairs. Things are further complicated since I attempted many pre-med classes and produced sub-par results:

MATH 121 B-

BIOL 201 C+
BIOL 202 B-
BIOL 203 B-
BIOL 204 B
BIOL 300 F
BIOL 3010 W

CHEM 14 B-
CHEM 141L B
CHEM 142 C+
CHEM 142 L C+
CHEM 241 C-

PHYS 201 C+
PHYS 203 B-

Now, what is the best manner in which to proceed? I realize that correcting my uGPA is the first thing that I need to address. What is the best way to do this? Post-Bacs seem out of the question given my low uGPA. Is it as simple as just taking classes at a community college? Any and all advice / criticism is welcome. Thank you for your time.
V/r, Tom

I would take some basic science classes at a CC and get a few As under your belt with the idea that you will retake all C and lower prereqs or D and lower classes if possible. Make a plan that will get your DO gpa up to 3.3+ by app time. Start slow and build your confidence to be an A student. With some strategic retakes and a few new science classes you should be able to rehab your gpa for DO schools. For MD schools you will need brute force to get above a 3.0 with a multi year postbacc and high MCAT to have a shot, even then about 50/50 is the best it will get.

I had close to a 3.0 cGPA on my AMCAS with a much higher sGPA and got 2 II and 2 acceptances from the 7 schools I used this app service for (I did have an excellent app otherwise with a 34 MCAT, 4.0 multi-year postbac, and a long commitment to service).

I was going to do FAU biomedical science masters program. Any advice?