Ben Gurion University - MSIH - 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

digitallion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
Just figured I would create a place for discussion for all those who are applying to or are interested in applying to the Medical School for International Health at Ben Gurion University for the class of 2017 (meaning the current 2012 - 2013) application cycle. I hope you guys please share where you are along in the application process and any information you have about the program that might interest others. I've got an interview scheduled for next month which I'm very excited about. Has anyone else had theirs already and care to share their experience? Who else is interested in attending BGU- MSIH?

Members don't see this ad.

Filling out my application now. How long did it take them to get back to you with and II

I was invited for the interview the day after my application was complete. Good luck with yours!

Members don't see this ad :)
for the calculated GPA, did you used your AMCAS sgpa or simply the GPA of the courses that they require?

I'm Canadian so I don't have an AMCAS sgpa but yeah for the science GPA I just calculated my GPA for their required courses

thanks, ya I emailed them and they said just the GPA for their required courses. did you send individual letters or did you have a committee letter?

Individual letters. We don't have pre-med committees in Canada

I interviewed in October and just received my acceptance notice. I'm pretty sure I'm going to accept the offer. The interviews were both professional yet easy-going. They were my first med-school interviews and were far cries from the stiff, hyper-formalized, judgmental stereotypes I had in mind leading up to the meetings. Both interviews concentrated on how my resume and application spoke to a future in global health, where I saw myself heading as a physician and what questions or reservations I had about the program. My first interview was only 25 minutes but the second one was around 50 minutes. All in all, these interviews should only be looked forward to, not feared, because I felt the experience, had I been rejected, would have been very helpful in preparing me for future med school interviews.

A very pleasant experience on the whole. Best of luck and hope to see ya'll in Beer-Sheva.

does anyone know where I could find information about transfer applicants to Ben Gurion?

I applied, got an interview in late Nov. and am now waiting to hear back from them.

Accepted!! I completed my application in mid October, interviewed November 15th and just received my accepted letter via email this morning. I will be accepting the offer and really look forward to meeting all of you who will be attending MSIH next year in Be'er Sheva!

Members don't see this ad :)
Completed my application Dec. 6th. Just got invited to interview in Jan.

Thing is, I'm out of the country right now. Does anyone know if skype is at all an option for interviews? and if so, whether that affects your chances at all?

Completed my application Dec. 6th. Just got invited to interview in Jan.

Thing is, I'm out of the country right now. Does anyone know if skype is at all an option for interviews? and if so, whether that affects your chances at all?

I know that it is possible to interview either at Columbia in New York or at the school itself in Be'er Sheva. Considering that the interview process was quite formal and involved two separate, lengthy interviews, i doubt that skype is an option, but definitely talk to Alice at the admissions office and I'm sure you can figure something out. They are very helpful and accommodating.

I applied in september interviewed in Nov and was accepted to BGU and an US school in Dec.

I found the program here to be great only drawback is that one is an IMG come residency

Interviewed Jan 4th in NYC, the Admissions Committee met on Jan 25th, and I just found out yesterday that I got accepted!!!!

Good luck to everyone else~ and to those who will be in my class, see you guys in July (and message me so we can be friends and stuff :love: ) !

Current MSIH student here. To all you applicants and people going in for interviews, good luck! :luck: To those waitlisted/accepted, good luck in your decisionmaking and looking forward to meeting you this summer! If you are trying to decide whether to come, and want to chat about what it's like to study here, PM me anytime.

only drawback is that one is an IMG come residency
Check the match lists and see what fields grads end up in for residency. If these are fields where you see yourself, and you're motivated, then these are possibilities for you.

Is there still time to apply to BGU-MSIH for the Class of 2017? I imagine it must be full by now.

I don't think they have any set application deadline and usually don't fill the class to the maximum of 50 students so you should for sure still apply...

My understanding from my interview is that they cared more about having the right people then a full class size so they elect to take less people then their max.

don't imagine, call the office at the number on the website and ask

Do not attend Medical School for International Health!
Even thought the numbers show that MSIH may be as good as some state schools and its mission is very noble, the character of a medical school is manifested by how the faculty treats its students. If you speak to any current or past students, they can tell you exactly how they treat their students. Many students are reluctant to talk because any criticism is usually met very harshly with threats of failures and expulsion. In addition, the very policies of the school are not followed by the administrators.
Last November, Israel was involved in a war in which even more bombs fell on Beer-Sheba than normally. There were students who left Israel in order to get away from the bombs and upon return they were threatened with failing their courses. Another student wished to present a poster at a convention and she was threatened a failure of her course if she attended. Any other school would be thrilled for their students to represent them at a convention. Another student was threatened with failure for attending his mother's funeral during the school year. A student was also threatened with expulsion because another student slandered her on the post-course survey. The administrators had multiple meetings despite the fact that their own policies were not followed. In addition, if you are worried about where your money goes, the MISH tuition money recently paid for a new administrative office and study hall exclusively for the use of MSIH. However, MSIH students are completely precluded for studying there and the Israeli students are welcomed to enter. Also, the clocks in the exam rooms don't work half the time and the test proctors talk and answer their cellphones during the tests.
Any US medical school would not debase their students and aim for their failure. The administrators at MSIH do not want their students to succeed because they constantly threaten failure and if there is any true fault the administrators do not give any leeway. In medical school, the purpose is to study hard but MSIH administrators penalize you for studying and being at the top of your class and your classmates will ostracize you if you do study as much as an American medical student. The reason that the students of MSIH do not get any school policy fixed is that the administrators will fail the students if any criticism is brought up.
In summation, MSIH is a horrible school and the international medicine aspect can be learned much better at almost any other school. Only attend MSIH if you enjoy living in the Israeli desert with bombs falling on your head on a regular basis and if you want to be able to slander your own classmates in order to get them expelled. But they can also do this to you. Columbia University may not be aware of the administration's treatment of students but they should be much more mindful of the bedfellows they are involved with. Columbia is as much to blame as MSIH because they are helping to promote MSIH and I believe that no school should be promoting the denigration and ostracization of medical students. This is undue psychological pressure in addition to being in Israel away from your family and having bombs fall on you. I do not wish any of this hardship to befall other potential medical students because a good doctor is determined by how hard you can study and work and not on how much slander and psychological abuse a student can take.

Even thought the numbers show that MSIH may be as good as some state schools and its mission is very noble, the character of a medical school is manifested by how the faculty treats its students. If you speak to any current or past students, they can tell you exactly how they treat their students. Many students are reluctant to talk because any criticism is usually met very harshly with threats of failures and expulsion. In addition, the very policies of the school are not followed by the administrators.
Last November, Israel was involved in a war in which even more bombs fell on Beer-Sheba than normally. There were students who left Israel in order to get away from the bombs and upon return they were threatened with failing their courses. Another student wished to present a poster at a convention and she was threatened a failure of her course if she attended. Any other school would be thrilled for their students to represent them at a convention. Another student was threatened with failure for attending his mother's funeral during the school year. A student was also threatened with expulsion because another student slandered her on the post-course survey. The administrators had multiple meetings despite the fact that their own policies were not followed. In addition, if you are worried about where your money goes, the MISH tuition money recently paid for a new administrative office and study hall exclusively for the use of MSIH. However, MSIH students are completely precluded for studying there and the Israeli students are welcomed to enter. Also, the clocks in the exam rooms don't work half the time and the test proctors talk and answer their cellphones during the tests.
Any US medical school would not debase their students and aim for their failure. The administrators at MSIH do not want their students to succeed because they constantly threaten failure and if there is any true fault the administrators do not give any leeway. In medical school, the purpose is to study hard but MSIH administrators penalize you for studying and being at the top of your class and your classmates will ostracize you if you do study as much as an American medical student. The reason that the students of MSIH do not get any school policy fixed is that the administrators will fail the students if any criticism is brought up.
In summation, MSIH is a horrible school and the international medicine aspect can be learned much better at almost any other school. Only attend MSIH if you enjoy living in the Israeli desert with bombs falling on your head on a regular basis and if you want to be able to slander your own classmates in order to get them expelled. But they can also do this to you. Columbia University may not be aware of the administration's treatment of students but they should be much more mindful of the bedfellows they are involved with. Columbia is as much to blame as MSIH because they are helping to promote MSIH and I believe that no school should be promoting the denigration and ostracization of medical students. This is undue psychological pressure in addition to being in Israel away from your family and having bombs fall on you. I do not wish any of this hardship to befall other potential medical students because a good doctor is determined by how hard you can study and work and not on how much slander and psychological abuse a student can take.

I'm a current 4th year MSIH student. I don't even know where to start. There is absolutely no truth to anything that was mentioned in that statement. I feel almost dumb in responding to such lies.

The administrative office and study hall was NOT paid for by tuition money. It was a donation from a wealthy donor (Arie and Caroline Simon). That's why the building is called 'Caroline House'. That's where MOST of the MSIH students spend their hours studying. Both Israelis and MSIH students love to study there.

There is A LOT of camaraderie amongst the students at MSIH. The classes are very close and that's what has made my experience here so great!

The only thing remotely close to being true is that there were rockets shot at Be'er Sheva from Gaza last November during the Operation Pillar of Defense. Since the truce, there has not been one rocket. No, you are not studying with rockets falling on the city on a regular basis.

I think the the OP is likely finding medical school intellectually too difficult and/or very lonely. Med school's not easy. But, trust me, studying at MSIH was one of the best experiences ever!!

Congrats to people who had interviews and got accepted. Would you mind posting your stats?

I speak as one of the overwhelming majority of satisfied, successful students:

Before I decided to attend, I found the administration and other students to be very open and honest about the significant positives, and the clear challenges, of attending medical school in Israel. The prior post does not merit to be addressed in a point-by-point fashion. I will say that the pressures of medical school are not for everyone, and the added challenges of medical school in another culture far from home where things operate a bit differently than you expect, are certainly not for everyone. The administration works very hard and is for the most part made up of some of the kindest people I've met. Other positive comments by current and former students on MSIH-specific forums on this site, and the match lists, speak for themselves. While it was a challenge being here during a period of conflict, the actual danger we were exposed to was extremely low, and the administration established hospitality for us across the country in safer regions and updated us on the situation multiple times daily. This was a stressful experience, but I felt it was as well managed as it could have been.

To prospective students - you owe it to yourselves to get a detailed perspective from current students and alumni. Get in touch with our offices through the website msih.net and they will have happy to put you in touch.

To the original poster - I'm sorry you felt this wasn't the environment for you, but I think it's time for you to move on rather than dragging others down.

Last edited:
I'm a 2nd year at MSIH and my experience here has been, on the whole, overwhelmingly positive. I can honestly say that my class is one of the most tight-knit, supportive groups of people I have ever had the pleasure of working with. Everyone here is smart and hardworking, but the atmosphere is very collaborative rather than competitive. We all strive to do well, but we want each other to do well also.

Aside from the other (awesome) students, here are a few pros of attending MSIH that I think are worth noting:

1) Simply living in Israel and training at Soroka Hospital is an excellent global health education. Our patient population is incredibly diverse: Arab Bedouin, Eritrean immigrants, Israeli Jews, etc. Learning to navigate differing cultural norms and conducting patient interviews in another language is great prep for a career in global health.

2) There are a LOT of opportunities to work in the community. Here are a few: teaching English to high school girls in Umm Batin, a Bedouin village near Be'er-Sheva, volunteering at the MOH-run Refugee Clinic in Tel Aviv, or the free clinic run by Physicians for Human Rights (PHR), going with the PHR mobile health clinics to villages in the West Bank to provide healthcare to residents, volunteering for Save a Child's Heart, and working with a local HIV/AIDS organization to do outreach as well as counseling and testing.

3) 4th year global health clerkships are required and are the cornerstone of our global health education – here are just a few of the 15 sites students went to this past year: Argentina, India, Nepal, Northern Ontario, Native American communities in several parts of the US, Tanzania, and Sri Lanka.

4) Our students consistently place into excellent residencies, especially (but not only) in primary healthcare. Our match list from the last 10 years is freely available online – I encourage you to read it. Seeing evidence of MSIH's success in the match is what made me feel comfortable going to med school outside the US and worry less about being an IMG.

Yes, sometimes you will feel stressed out, frustrated, and maybe in just a little over your head. The bottom line is, med school is hard. Med school in a foreign country is harder. I don't know any doctors, regardless of where they trained, who loved everything about medical school. But if you are flexible, have a healthy sense of adventure, and are passionate about global health, I strongly encourage you to consider training at MSIH.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know what the waiting list is like at this school? Is there much movement? What is the time-frame?

I am a second year student at MSIH and fredg who posted this is a good friend of mine. He was able to get a good residency but only by his own work and connections, MSIH administrators actually inhibited him from getting a better residency by threatening him with expulsion if he went on residency interviews on certain days. There was no leeway even for interviews to better his future career. I also know of the third year student who was threatened with failing the rotation if she missed a day for the presentation of a poster at a convention. The administration cares nothing for the future careers of their students. MSIH looks good and students get good residencies solely by their own methods and connections especially with Columbia faculty and they are hindered by the MSIH administration. A student had the opportunity to have a fourth year elective at a top 10 medical school but could not because of the incompetence of MSIH administrators and secretaries in approving the elective.
I enjoy the diversity of living and studying in Israel however I agree with fredg that future students should be warned that MSIH students are treated unfairly by the administration and at least my conscience can be clear by not supporting students to attend MSIH and be treated horribly. I understand the other comments of MSIH students because our school must look good for purposes of residency interviews but everyone at the school agrees about the incompetence of the administration. Search medical school catastrophe .com in order to get some glimpse of how the administration treats students and even their lack of respect for student safety. Bombs do not fall everyday but when they do fall the administration does nothing to support students despite the fact that they go out of their way to protect BGU students in other programs. Also look at other forums (valuemd.com/israeli-medical-schools/191022-bgu-msih.html) because I do not think that any medical school has so much negative publicity as MSIH. Yes, medical school is very difficult but for the school's administrators to not support their students is completely unacceptable.
In my two years of studying in Israel, I have tried to study at the Caroline House but have been thrown out by the administrators even though they say that they welcome MSIH students. In response to JCaesar, I have not seen any MSIH students studying there, only Israeli students. Trying to get in contact with any faculty member is nearly impossible and can take up to three weeks to get even a simple answer. Secretaries work only a couple days per week on a completely random schedule so trying to get a hold of anyone for concerns of financial aid or grades is nearly impossible. Test grades do not come out for almost a month after the test date so students are constantly living in a state of fear for failing their tests. From what I have heard, all other medical schools get their tests graded and grades handed out within a day or two and a week at the most.
I have enjoyed my years in Israel with the culture diversity but if you are looking for a school with international opportunities, do not be fooled by the positive spin that is placed in their brochures. It would be much better to attend a more established school in order to avoid undue stress from the school administration and do a summer overseas. I would not want students who are interested in international health to attend MSIH solely on the basis of their supposed mission when so many students break under the pressure put on them by the administration and not under the pressure of learning medicine.

Last edited:
I don't understand why anybody would consider going to this school. All I've read about is administration problems and bomb scares when it comes to the school. Honestly, this is a rare case where a caribbean school seems much more attractive to attend than a school where you are constantly in fear of dying due to bombing.

I think almost all of these negative posts are from the first year student that left the school. He's still angry and he wants to take it out on the school.

My advice to the student if you're reading this is to take some ownership for your actions! This is a time for reflection on how you could've handled things differently. Sure, the administration didn't handle the conflict perfectly, but the way you've communicated with them was certainly not the way to go about things. Did you ever think that you could've handled things a bit differently? Maybe your inflexibility or anger got the better of you and you impulsively left the school? Have you ever thought that your situation at this point is quite possibly largely self-inflicted? Did you ever put yourself in the shoes of the admin? The conflict in the region took everyone by surprise. Things are not always going to go your way and that's a fact of life. It's better to accept that reality than to continue to blame others for your predicament. It's time to put this behind you and move on with your life. That's the healthiest thing to do.

(I expect this post may incite a whole other round of responses from fake accounts. To the student, the sooner you accept the situation, the sooner you will actually move on with your life.)

Last edited:
Ok seriously whats up with BGU-MSIH. I don't go there, i have no interests there, but i am curious. How come Sackler-NYU has no problems only this school? Clearly, it can't just be one disgruntled student it has to be several, there are many many posts in many forums. Either way, you have to keep in mind that it is still in Israel which could explode into war any day. In addition, the Columbia affiliation doesn't mean much considering your degree still comes from BGU. In addition, the school doesn't really match people into Columbia. Is this program still in business?

Ok seriously whats up with BGU-MSIH. I don't go there, i have no interests there, but i am curious. How come Sackler-NYU has no problems only this school? Clearly, it can't just be one disgruntled student it has to be several, there are many many posts in many forums. Either way, you have to keep in mind that it is still in Israel which could explode into war any day. In addition, the Columbia affiliation doesn't mean much considering your degree still comes from BGU. In addition, the school doesn't really match people into Columbia. Is this program still in business?

I'm surprised Columbia let MSIH drag its name through the mud like this.

Hey,
Just figured I would create a place for discussion for all those who are applying to or are interested in applying to the Medical School for International Health at Ben Gurion University for the class of 2017 (meaning the current 2012 - 2013) application cycle. I hope you guys please share where you are along in the application process and any information you have about the program that might interest others. I've got an interview scheduled for next month which I'm very excited about. Has anyone else had theirs already and care to share their experience? Who else is interested in attending BGU- MSIH?
Hey just joined SDN, wanting to follow up, did you ever end up at MSIH? I am applying there now, but I have a wife and son, and am worried about the dangers of living in Israel.

To anyone else who posted, please post on whether or not you went forward with your MSIH plans. Where are you now?
thanks!

To anyone else who posted, please post on whether or not you went forward with your MSIH plans. Where are you now?
thanks!

I ended up at Sackler at Tel Aviv University. Very happy here although I'm sure I would have been happy at MSIH as well.

I ended up at Sackler at Tel Aviv University. Very happy here although I'm sure I would have been happy at MSIH as well.

Isn't Sackler much better as it has better match rates. I was looking at matches and they look like those from a US school

Ok, so to clarify some things, c/o 2010 here, BGU-MSIH is NOT dragging Columbia Presby Medical School's name through the mud, mostly because it is not affiliated with the Medical School. The affiliation is between Ben-Gurion University and the Colubmia University Medical Center (unless things have changed, this is the hospital facility, and more specifically the School of Nutrition), not the school of medicine.

Also, People who go to Sackler may (or may not) have an inkling towards a specialty field (anything outside primary care, peds, family medicine, or internal medicine), and thusly because they have had more years ( more matches) and more students (larger classes) not interested in international health or the primary fields, there is a selection and sampling bias regarding specialty matching.

Most people do not have their field picked when they start medicine, and most change during medical school.

That being said, I think it is safe to say if you know you want a specialty, and your second choice is a specialty field should you not match the first one, I would go to Sackler. It can be done from MSIH, but you will be on your own in terms of support and setting up your fourth year curriculum and electives simply for the stated fact that MSIH is not used to matching people into those highly competitive specialties. In fields like dermatology, where I matched, it is largely in part of who you know, who you have worked with, what you have done working with those people, and how much influence those people have.

Having interviewed candidates for Derm Residency, I can honestly say, we rarely looked at Medical Schools as a deciding factor, but then again, we haven't had any one apply from International Schools. There are usually USMLE score cutoffs in the first round, so school really isnt a deciding factor .

Hope this helps, can always pm me for more info

Izzy

If you are interested in MSIH then you should also be interested in global health. The reason the match list looks so different for Sackler versus BGU- MSIH is that students who go to MSIH should be interested in public health, primary care, international health etc...
Many of the students who attend MSIH were accepted to medical schools in the US- this isn't a last resort for us. We attend or attended because of our passion for international health outcomes. We choose primary care specialties because that is what we are passionate about.

If you are interested in going into a high paying field or specialty and have no interest in global health then you might not appreciate the culture of MSIH.

I am applying to MSIH this year. I am excited about the possibility of going there. I went to a ivy league US school with good grades but had to leave due to an accident (physical that required rehab). I have worked for the WHO in the meantime and going to a US school is not that important to me after working for the WHO. I think MSIHs match list is fine. If you are into global health, you are going to see more internal medicine, general surgery, anesthesiology (yes doctor's without borders heavily recruits anesthesiologists and gen surgeons too), pediatricians etc.

I also when doing research read a blog by this guy disgruntled over how courses were handled during the initial rockets firing. Having done 3 and half years of medical school and having gone through a psych rotation, the rant was imbalanced and looked like an individual suffering from a personality disorder. I would disregard it. It is a shame that during that time that that individual did not allow studies to continue via skype or youtube. Why not Harvard Medical school does the same for public health and science courses in order to keep educating people in the field? It is the modern world. Technology makes it possible for life to continue when unfortunate things like bombing occur. If they had been able to do that courses would have continued and students not delayed. I think MSIH professors had a point and were wise. I would advise young students that have not gone to medical school to disregard this disgruntled student's imbalanced claims because they make no sense. After having gone to medical school, keeping the courses and flow of information going would have been wise. His rants seem lacking credibility, flexibility and like he or she is just trying to dissuade other students from attending. Plus studying on your own at times is what you do during the boards and residency. This person lacked the flexibility necessary to become a physician. This sounds like as fine a school as the medical school I attended and it was a top 10-15 Ivy league school. I would give the school a chance and ignore this drama. Good luck to all those applying. I normally don't comment, but I have never seen a student do that before. The floors in the hospitals in the US would not have tolerated such inflexible behavior. This person would not have advanced.

I would talk to some older students having gone through the process more if you are concerned. The rant he had on his blog matches the criteria for a personality disorder.

Hey,

Hey,

Anyone applying Ben Gurion MSIH 2019 or 2018 advanced standing? Has anyone had any interviews yet? I just applied and my MCAT scores are not there yet. This school is my first choice. I am hopeful. Wonder what others are going through and their thoughts?

I just got accepted to MSIH for the class of 2015!!!! the interviewer are so nice. Goodluck everyone.

Reactions: 1 user
I am very interested in emergency medicine. How does MSIH place for emergency and other residency programs compared to other US schools?

I am very interested in emergency medicine. How does MSIH place for emergency and other residency programs compared to other US schools?
It looked like they matched well in emergency medicine according to their match lists. It had a lot of matches in internal medicine, pediatrics, family medicine, surgery, anesthesia, and emergency medicine.