Bench test preparation at home

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

molar31

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I want to start this thread to help people including myself who are trying to practice bench test at home. I appreciate the inputs from the ones who were in the same boat and got acceptance this year.
I am wondering how to start with the preparation because there is no guidance and its really hard to judge your own preps. Please share the link you followed and strategies to ace this phase.
"Together we can win this race"

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for your thread. It's a great idea.
Waiting for ones who were in the same boat and got acceptance this year.

Reactions: 1 user
Hmmm ..107 views but no replies..Folks, Don't you want to help us?? :(:(

Members don't see this ad :)
First figure out which instruments you will have at the test. Find burs and measure them - you need the size to measure your reductions and size of your prep. There is no time to open/close the manikin mouth. Figure out how to hold a handpiece for your prep - I held it parallel to the long axis of the tooth for most of my crown prep. Find which textbook the school uses and find prep guidelines in them. Figure out at what speed you are comfortable, not too slow not too fast. Slow is ok, but you need to finish on time, too fast and mistake will happen - you do not want that. Good luck

First figure out which instruments you will have at the test. Find burs and measure them - you need the size to measure your reductions and size of your prep. There is no time to open/close the manikin mouth. Figure out how to hold a handpiece for your prep - I held it parallel to the long axis of the tooth for most of my crown prep. Find which textbook the school uses and find prep guidelines in them. Figure out at what speed you are comfortable, not too slow not too fast. Slow is ok, but you need to finish on time, too fast and mistake will happen - you do not want that. Good luck

Thank you for the rely oralcare123... Can we adjust the speed of the hand piece in the bench test? I went to couple of bench test and did the preparation in the speed whatever was adjusted.

I can only say for Colorado, yes you can. Do not be afraid to ask for the speed adjustment. If you are not comfortable and adjustment possible, why not ask for it. Too slow and you would not be able to finish your prep on time, too fast and teeth would be burned and nicks happen.
Preparation is a lot about mental component, stress gets to you. I could barely remember size of reduction, even though it was so easy at home

Can we use a pencil to mark the outlines for cavity preparation and crown cutting at colorado bench test? ( I am used to this). Also can we take our own toffelmire and use during the bench test. Also burs and handpiece?

you need to finish on time, too fast and mistake will happen - you do not want that. Good luck
QwqhZC

Can we use a pencil to mark the outlines for cavity preparation and crown cutting at colorado bench test? ( I am used to this). Also can we take our own toffelmire and use during the bench test. Also burs and handpiece?
You do not need a handpiece, they will give it to you. In a interview instructions it should say if you allowed to bring your own matrices and burs. In regards to pencil marks. The bench test simulates preparation on a person, no dentist marks teeth with a pencil.
Manikin is convenient the way that you do not have to use your mirror in order to prep the upper tooth - you can adjust the head the way you can see directly and you need a wedge to separate teeth for the prep

You do not need a handpiece, they will give it to you. In a interview instructions it should say if you allowed to bring your own matrices and burs. In regards to pencil marks. The bench test simulates preparation on a person, no dentist marks teeth with a pencil.
Manikin is convenient the way that you do not have to use your mirror in order to prep the upper tooth - you can adjust the head the way you can see directly and you need a wedge to separate teeth for the prep
Do we have to have a wedge? I'm not used to using any kind of wedge. And are we allowed to move the manikin in any way we want? U sure about that??

You should not put manikin head in an unnatural position, but you can definitely use direct vision. Wedge is a very good thing to have. The worst mistake is nicking the tooth next to the preparation. Even with matrix it is possible to damage next tooth - matrix gets drilled through. Crown prep is still possible without wedge, but mo/do is very difficult, because we need to create space in the interproximal between teeth of 0.5mm

Hi,
Did you guys get the material needed for the bench test? If yes, where did you get it from? Does it really matter if you practice on a soft or hard gingiva typhodont?

Hi,
Did you guys get the material needed for the bench test? If yes, where did you get it from? Does it really matter if you practice on a soft or hard gingiva typhodont?
Hi r u still looking for material.
I have high and slow handpiece kilgore typodont and few teeth to sell.

Hey,
Do you guys have an idea of how to prepare for root canal treatment on a simulated teeth at home? Are there special teeth available for it? Also what instruments do the schools provide you with for RCT? For those of you who have attended bench tests before, any insight will be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

I have bench test preparation materials with me
1. Typodont columbia
2. Mounting pole
3. Portable dental turbine
4. airrotor handpiece 4 hole
5. Compressor
If interested pl contact me on [email protected]

I have bench test preparation materials with me
1. Typodont columbia
2. Mounting pole
3. Portable dental turbine
4. airrotor handpiece 4 hole
5. Compressor
If interested pl contact me on [email protected]
I am probably too late but is there any chance i can get a picture of these materials.
I will need to do some shopping. Thanks

well i am a graduate of class 2012. have been recently in the US already done with NBDE part 1 was studying to get part 2 and know nothing about bench exam or even where to find any preparation courses in Cali so would you please help me with that? also heard that there should be a certain gap of 5 years or less of course between getting nbde 1 results and getting admitted to a dental university is that true?
thanks

I am probably too late but is there any chance i can get a picture of these materials.
I will need to do some shopping. Thanks

Hi,

I know there is huge time gap. But can you please recommend from where to buy the instruments. I am in the middle of looking and buying. Confused.

Please can you suggest.