Bench test preparation how to thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

circuit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Friends,

I am preparing for Colorado bench test. I have a question for those who have taken bench tests before.

My setup is waterless. When I try to use diamond burs, they burn the plastic (Ivorine teeth). And when I use carbide burs, they cut through the plastic very fast. How do I work around this issue?

Your input is very much appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Well I use the regular burs like we do in the patients and ivorine tooth. And as u say it cuts faster. Even i donno how to resolve the issue. But thats how Im prepping.

Well I use the regular burs like we do in the patients and ivorine tooth. And as u say it cuts faster. Even i donno how to resolve the issue. But thats how Im prepping.

As far as I know we do not get water with hand piece in bench tests. Do we?

Members don't see this ad :)
no usually there's no water.but I don't know the solution to this prob which I'd faced too..

Keep the bur moving and make sure its moving before it contacts the tooth. Control the speed of the handpiece.

Yep! We dont have the water in the test I think so too.

Hey folks,

I'm having a hard time using the magnification loupes in the dummies cause I have never used those before in my past. My question, is it really necessary to use them in the bench test or can i just practice with my regular eye protection? Pls do suggest the pros and cons of it. Thank you.

Hey folks,

I'm having a hard time using the magnification loupes in the dummies cause I have never used those before in my past. My question, is it really necessary to use them in the bench test or can i just practice with my regular eye protection? Pls do suggest the pros and cons of it. Thank you.

i have the same question but ppl say those are important

i have the same question but ppl say those are important

Do what your are comfortable doing! Loupes won't impress anyone if you can't get results with them....

If you can do great preps with protection goggles, go for it! You won't loose points for not using loupes (you shouldn't).

Are there any coaching centeres for bench tests at Chicago??

Hi guys, are you preparing for the bench exasm of 2013 cycle or 2012?? and when does Colorado send for an interview and bench exam?

Do what your are comfortable doing! Loupes won't impress anyone if you can't get results with them....

If you can do great preps with protection goggles, go for it! You won't loose points for not using loupes (you shouldn't).

Thank you Hope! It cant get any better.

Members don't see this ad :)
HI

I wanted to know what I need to do to prepare for bench test in general? What materials do I need to buy? What exercises do I practice? Also should I review radiographs? Case Histories? Should I take any courses? The ones that I have heard of in the forum are

1.) Duggans
2.) OSTC
3.) VCU
4.) UT
5.) UBC

Are there any others that are recommended? Also what about CE Courses? Should I take some of those?

Thanks in advance for all responses!

Hey Guys, I want to prepare for the bench test at UW. I have no idea where to start from. How should I practise for the bench test? Please need advice!!

hey guys, I have a question regarding the bench test. Are we going to use slow speed hand piece?? and if yes what burs are we gonna need? As I recall back in my country we use different burs with the slow speed not like the high speed ones.. that might sound stupid, but is it different her or the same?? I bought burs that fits in a push button hand piece and then I remembered this thing about the slow speed one..

Hey Guys, I want to prepare for the bench test at UW. I have no idea where to start from. How should I practise for the bench test? Please need advice!!

First you have to do the shopping for the exam and it depends if you are going to do it at home or dental clinic, the second step is to know what does the school ask for in bench exam. Finally, start to practice you may refer to some you tube videos. I have not started yet but that is what I am going to do.:xf::xf:

hey guys, I have a question regarding the bench test. Are we going to use slow speed hand piece?? and if yes what burs are we gonna need? As I recall back in my country we use different burs with the slow speed not like the high speed ones.. that might sound stupid, but is it different her or the same?? I bought burs that fits in a push button hand piece and then I remembered this thing about the slow speed one..

Any help here??!!:)

Hey dentist86,

Here preparations are done mostly with high speed hand pieces. I do not understand what you mean by different burs cannot be used for high speed. You will be provided with all the appropriate burs. You can adjust the speed of the hand piece according to your comfort. Good luck :)

The schools actually provide both, high speed and slow speed handpieces, and different burs for both.

The schools actually provide both, high speed and slow speed handpieces, and different burs for both.

does slow handpiece mean the micromotor handpiece and the fast handpiece the 4 holed aeroter one??:confused:

Anybody knows if columbia 860 and 1560 dentoforms are same or do the universities only use the 860 series. Any inputs ?

Anybody knows if columbia 860 and 1560 dentoforms are same or do the universities only use the 860 series. Any inputs ?

No, they are not the same. 1560 teeth are smaller compared to 860.
860 series teeth are more rounded and are more like kilgore in terms of size.
1560 series teeth are more straight and look somewhat like frasaco.
Most of the schools in the US which have a bench test on Columbia, use 860 series.
And you cannot use 860 teeth on 1560 dentoform or vice versa... (I have already tried that and it doesnt work. :( )

On a different note: I personally think 860 is much easier to work on :D

No, they are not the same. 1560 teeth are smaller compared to 860.
860 series teeth are more rounded and are more like kilgore in terms of size.
1560 series teeth are more straight and look somewhat like frasaco.
Most of the schools in the US which have a bench test on Columbia, use 860 series.
And you cannot use 860 teeth on 1560 dentoform or vice versa... (I have already tried that and it doesnt work. :( )

On a different note: I personally think 860 is much easier to work on :D

Thanks alot for this information. i had 1560 series dentoform. i will have to buy the 860 now :mad:

Thanks for the reply, but are we going to use the slow speed?

Thanks for the reply, but are we going to use the slow speed?
Depends how you are used to doing the preps...
If you want a lesser speed for finishing your preps, u can use the slow speed handpiece. If you are comfortable with using only the high speed, u can just do that and not use the slow speed at all..
Some schools let you bring your favourite instruments/burs etc. So if you have any special slow speed burs (latch type) which you use constantly, u could use those. But if the schools dont let u bring your own instruments, they usually provide u with slow speed round and straight fissure burs.

Any idea for the dimensions of ideal class 2 cavity in the bench exam?

can anyone help me regarding air compressor ? i have one which turns off every 10-15 mins so is there any solution for that? i bought it from sears..

hi i have a few extra burs at good price so if anyone is interested plz pm me.

Can anyone tell me how to order columbia simulation teeth typodent model R 861? thank you.

Dear Friends,

Which model do we have to practice on for Colorado bench exam? Is it kilgore/columbia? And amongst them what model number am I supposed to use? Could you please tell me what do they ask to do in exam? what preps should I practice other than class II amalgams.

Thanks

Where should I buy a compressor (silent) to start my home bench test practice setup??? How do u attach the handpiece to the compressor ? How do u set all this up at home :eek:what else will I need other than the typodonts, handpiece and burs.:confused: so confused!!!!! Help!!!!

Where should I buy a compressor (silent) to start my home bench test practice setup??? How do u attach the handpiece to the compressor ? How do u set all this up at home :eek:what else will I need other than the typodonts, handpiece and burs.:confused: so confused!!!!! Help!!!!

Hi ,
you can buy a turbine unit and hook it to a compressor. Turbine units come with airwater syringe, foot pedal,and attachment for 4 hole handpiece.
Besides the handpiece,burs and compressor you will also need mouth mirror and williams probe and hatchet and bin angle chisel. Depending upon which school you are going you may need additional instruments like lecrons carver etc.
burs- 856 (round end taper for chamfer), 837 ( flat end taper for shoulder margin), football for lingual of anterior,859 ( needle for interproximal) 56 and 330 carbide for class 2.
you can buy these at the website which sells to students www.thedrtools.com they also conduct customised bench test classes or also look on e bay for good deals.

Hi ,
you can buy a turbine unit and hook it to a compressor. Turbine units come with airwater syringe, foot pedal,and attachment for 4 hole handpiece.
Besides the handpiece,burs and compressor you will also need mouth mirror and williams probe and hatchet and bin angle chisel. Depending upon which school you are going you may need additional instruments like lecrons carver etc.
burs- 856 (round end taper for chamfer), 837 ( flat end taper for shoulder margin), football for lingual of anterior,859 ( needle for interproximal) 56 and 330 carbide for class 2.
you can buy these at the website which sells to students www.thedrtools.com they also conduct customised bench test classes or also look on e bay for good deals.

Thanks. That was very helpful!!!!!!!

Hi, i am looking for an dental turbine unit.. could anyone here suggest any particular one with low price in ebay or amazon

Could none guide me with a good link to buy dental compressor or what to c while buying a compressor.....kindly help
Thanks

Could none guide me with a good link to buy dental compressor or what to c while buying a compressor.....kindly help
Thanks

Requirements for compressor..it will still need turbine unit.

1.2 CFM
1/2 horsepower
60 Db or less noise level ( depends upon what you are comfortable with or if living in a apt)
1 gallon tank size or more
I hope this helps .if you have any questions regarding home set up let me know

Hey can we connect handpiece directly to compressor or do we need dental turbine unit. Can any1 pls make my concept clear

Hey can we connect handpiece directly to compressor or do we need dental turbine unit. Can any1 pls make my concept clear

U need a turbine for sure

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SDN Mobile

Never attend OSTC course for bench test preparation.

Guys today was my last day at the course and let me tell you my 3200 dollars have all gone into drain.
1)The batch is of 24 students but there are over 50 students just for practise and there are only 2 ppl who check our work. One is Dr khurana and a dentist named Laura. So we hardly get 5 min a day with him as he leaves by 7 30-8 and 5hrs are of lecture and demo.
2) the course timing is 10 30 but Dr khurana never comes before 11 30. And he starts at around 12. He teaches less of practical work and more of theory. His lectures are of 2 to 3 hrs.
3) He gives demos outside of mouth on a tray so we never know about inclinations and position. We asked him to teach us outside and he just gave us handouts saying read and do it.
4) Very money minded people. They sell a tooth for 2.5 dollars. Plus the instruments they give during the course are all non standardized. If you want to buy loupes when you attend the course you only can buy from univet which are around 1600 dollars plus taxes. No other guys are involved in the building. So buy loupes before hand.
5) He takes 4 hrs for a restoration. and its like the whole day we just sit and watch what is he doing and listen to the lecture. I travelled from scarborough and i took 2 30 hrs to reach so 5 hrs a day and so i could get very less practice.
6) he is very inclined to punjabis and so if you are not one pls think once before attending.
7)If your work is not good dont attend coz he ignores people who does not have good work.
8) And i being a US student i had asked him to teach me onlays and 3/4th crown and he just told us how to do it in 15 min. No demos. And he wasted my 2 days just for that 15 mins which i would have seen through you tube.

I dont know about other courses but if you are planning to attend this course pls dont. You are wasting your money. You tube is much better.

Dhaval

Do not put too much pressure on the tooth or very high speed when using the diamond burs. For crown preps you have to use diamond burs and a finishing carbide in the end. For amalgam class 2 prep use carbide burs like 330 and 56.
Also use newer burs...the older the bur the more it burns.

HI

I wanted to know what I need to do to prepare for bench test in general? What materials do I need to buy? What exercises do I practice? Also should I review radiographs? Case Histories? Should I take any courses? The ones that I have heard of in the forum are

1.) Duggans
2.) OSTC
3.) VCU
4.) UT
5.) UBC

Are there any others that are recommended? Also what about CE Courses? Should I take some of those?

Thanks in advance for all responses!
Materials to buy
1. high speed handpiece.
2. slow speed handpiece ( optional)
3, burs- 330 , 56 carbide for class 2 amlgam
4. burs 856( tapered round end),859 (thin interproximal) football ( for lingual of anterior PFM) 878( chamfer), 837 ( flat end for shoulder margin).End cutting bur for making shoulder refined. Polishing carbide bur for finishing.
5. Hatchet 1 mm wide blade, hatchet 1.5 mm blade
6. Mouth mirror, williams probe ( to measure depth of cavity)
7. bin angle chisel for smothening the prep floor.
8. typodont kilgore or columbia or both if interviewing at multiple schools
9. turbine unit to hook onto a compressor.( if buying compressor from home depot etc) Make sure you have the right connector to hook up the turbine to compressor
10. Silent compressor set up if living in an apartment.
11. Typodont mount.
12. Loupes ( optional) . hard to get used to . not recommended if your exam is in less than 1 month.
Dr Sandhu Teaches a one day bench test course in the SF bay area. She will customise the course depending upon which school you are going to interview at. It is one on one coaching. She starts with the basics of all the preps demonstrating each one. Along with which burs to use and which hand instruments to use. All instruments are provided. you do not have to take anything with you or buy anything. However if you choose to buy they have everything you would need to practice at their store including home compressor set up, typodonts, burs etc.A lot of students go there from all over the US and stay at the motel across the dental office. Students get special rates.If you feel you dont know anything and havent used a hand piece in years then this is the best way to learn starting from scratch and building up to being a pro at all the preps. Flexible course dates are avialable.
You can get more information at www.thedrtools.com
If you have any bench test questions please feel free to ask.

Hi. Is it necessary to practice on kilgore or columbia typhodont. I have frasaco typhodont. is that ok?