Benefits of DO/MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panda monium

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be attending a school that is pushing the ole MPH dual degree. (you do it during the summers so it won't take away from regs class time). I find it vaguely interesting, but am pretty meh overall.
I guess I want to consider it, but what's the advantage? is it a CV booster for residency?

does anyone have one that is out on the interview trail now? have people cared?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to be attending a school that is pushing the ole MPH dual degree. (you do it during the summers so it won't take away from regs class time). I find it vaguely interesting, but am pretty meh overall.
I guess I want to consider it, but what's the advantage? is it a CV booster for residency?

haha I think anyone who has interviewed at that school knows which one it is.

I am a med student with an MPH not on the interview trail yet but I've noticed that physicians who work in public health often have an MPH. It might have been earned after they graduated from medical school, though.

It definitely wouldnt hurt you, but I doubt that any residency directors care about the MPH degree. I would avoid it unless you are interested in public health as a career. Otherwise its a waste of time, stress and money.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Unnecessary appendage unless you think you might have occasion to use it (e.g. if things don't work out).

It was a talking point on residency interviews, but by no means could be used to offset any medschool deficiencies.
If you do a dual degree and do less than optimally in your primary degree it's viewed as a huge negative. "Why didn't you devote the time neccessary to do your best in GPA and board scores?" If you do well you can spin it as "look, I can rub my stomach and pat my head at the same time and do well at both" but ultimately it doesn't carry as much weight as GPA and boards.

If it isn't free, don't even consider it.

Ha... it's not free. As you guys could probably tell, I'm totally not doing this.

I think I just got confused because the school doesn't even really try to sell you on it. They're just like, this is the MPH. It will cost an extra 20k*. Ok, have fun.

So I thought maybe there is some great intrinsic benefit to the MPH if they're not even trying to present it's benefits. But, apparently, there's not really much of a benefit, unless you just happen to like public health.

*and ruin your summers

I'm bumping this thread because I'm in a different position: a program offers students at our school a diploma for public health and international medicine (combined program) after taking a hybrid course and doing a "service learning" component of 4-8 weeks in another country.

http://www.inmed.us/service-learning/diplomas/international-medicine-public-health-diploma/

I am interested in international medicine when I get out of school, and I would look forward to spending a summer in Central or South America. Additionally, the cost is much less, something like $1200 or so, plus the actual costs of traveling internationally, etc. Since I'm seeking a residency in family medicine that will hopefully be full spectrum, do you think it would benefit me on interview trails to have done this?

The opportunity cost would be spending a summer doing research in microbiology.

I'm bumping this thread because I'm in a different position: a program offers students at our school a diploma for public health and international medicine (combined program) after taking a hybrid course and doing a "service learning" component of 4-8 weeks in another country.

http://www.inmed.us/service-learning/diplomas/international-medicine-public-health-diploma/

I am interested in international medicine when I get out of school, and I would look forward to spending a summer in Central or South America. Additionally, the cost is much less, something like $1200 or so, plus the actual costs of traveling internationally, etc. Since I'm seeking a residency in family medicine that will hopefully be full spectrum, do you think it would benefit me on interview trails to have done this?

The opportunity cost would be spending a summer doing research in microbiology.

Honestly, that sounds like a good opportunity to me, especially if that's what you are interested in. I can't imagine it making a huge difference in the match, but it would definitely show your commitment to global med and will likely be an experience that you'll talk passionately about. Plus you might get some publications out of it.

I doubt the diploma is really meaningful, but the experience and research sounds like a great opportunity, especially since it's what you're interested in.