Berkeley MPH, MS, PhD 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pompousplatypus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

Congrats to everyone getting into Berkeley! I am hoping that this thread can be a place where we can provide each other with information to help make a decision as to where we end up this fall - particularly info on funding, living situations, visiting day (March 7), etc.

I applied to the PhD program in Environmental Health Science and was accepted to their MS program instead. Berkeley is my second choice program and I am waiting for UW-Seattle's response. I received a phone call a few days ago and was told that my cohort will be given an automatic $5K in scholarships for the first year and that some people will receive additional funding in their official financial aid package.

Has anyone received any sort of financial aid package/know of when those will be coming out? Furthermore, has anyone been successful in attaining a GSI or GSR position?

Members don't see this ad.

For those considering attending UC Berkeley and living outside the city, the Downtown Berkeley BART station is a ten minute walk away from the main campus. Check out http://www.bart.gov/ for more information.

@Pudu2009 how are bike lanes in the Bay Area? I literally bike everywhere as long as it's within 10 miles and am tempted to look for housing off campus and possibly in Oakland.

Members don't see this ad :)
In Fremont they have bike lanes everywhere, but I don't know about Berkeley. I know SFO is very bike friendly as well.

I'm from the Bay Area originally, but have never spent time in Berkeley. Even though I live in an expensive city now (Boston), I'm shuddering a little at the thought of paying Berkeley rents!

I love biking as well, but am a little worried about biking in high-traffic areas. Are there any neighborhoods in Berkeley or Oakland that have relatively quiet bike routes (or even protected paths) to campus? I hope to do some mountain biking as well, but finding a great location to live for daily bike commuting would be the top priority.

Has anyone else been looking at these articles about Berkeley's budget deficit? http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/11/us/university-of-california-berkeley-deficit.html

I'm slightly concerned about whether this could impact the School of Public Health. My undergraduate university had severe budget problems during the recession and it made the experience fairly stressful (every day, it seemed like something else was being cut). It sounds like decisions haven't been made at Berkeley yet, but that a tuition increase may be likely in 2017 and that academic changes aren't off the table. Has anyone heard anything about this from SPH?

Unfortunately this is a UC- and CSU-wide problem. When I started undergrad at UCI in 2009, tuition was ~$9,000 per year. Four years later it was ~$11,000 per year. My brother is in his second year at UC Davis and his tuition is ~13,000 per year. It is only going to get worse for college students. I don't know how it is on the grad school side of things, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're affected as well.

That's crazy. I wonder if it would be possible to attain in-state tuition during our second year for those of us who intend to work in California after graduation

Hi all,

I've been accepted to Berkeley's Health and Social Behavior program and I'm really torn between a few schools. I'd love to hear how you decided on Berkeley.

Thanks!

Has anyone who is confirmed going to Berkeley received any additional information from the school (a welcome packet, info on key deadlines, etc)? I haven't and it's making it a bit hard to plan...

@elephantpantz, I posted reasons for choosing Berkeley on the main acceptance thread if you're interested!

Has anyone who is confirmed going to Berkeley received any additional information from the school (a welcome packet, info on key deadlines, etc)? I haven't and it's making it a bit hard to plan...

@elephantpantz, I posted reasons for choosing Berkeley on the main acceptance thread if you're interested!
Nope, just the email with all the fliers and infographics given out at welcome day.

You have so many posts I'm having trouble finding it! haha:p I'll keep searching...but if it's not a hassle, would you mind copying and pasting your input here?:)

You have so many posts I'm having trouble finding it! haha:p I'll keep searching...but if it's not a hassle, would you mind copying and pasting your input here?:)

This is a bit specific to MCH, but I'm happy to answer any other questions about the spring visit day if that would be helpful!

"I got a really good vibe from the program on Spring Visit Day. I had originally applied to HSB and it was my top choice, but I came away confident that MCH would be an even better fit. The quantitative focus that I had initially worried about seemed like it would really provide me with good skills for employment later (methods, better statistical knowledge, etc.). I was also impressed with the breadth and depth of the MCH network and the various opportunities available through the program for internships and research. Also, I was considering UCLA, but I didn't really like the idea of doing a comprehensive exam rather than a capstone project. Finally, I grew up in the Bay Area and would be happy to return for a few years (and I think I should be able to get in-state tuition through a state law that lets CA high school graduates get in-state, even if they are no longer residents)."