MCAT Berkeley Review MCAT Home Study Program Information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BerkReviewTeach

Company Rep for now-defunct Course & Bad Singer
Vendor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Berkeley Review MCAT Home Study Program Information

The materials are designed to fit a home-study program lasting between 75 days and 135 days (depending on the amount of study and practice time available to the student). The materials consist of two parts:
  • 1) There are home-study books which cover subjects in detail and provide hundreds of practice passages and thousands of practice questions all in the same book set
  • 2) There are seven full-length CBTs that offer a wide range of passage styles and topics to expose students to the full spectrum of difficulties and wording they can expect on their actual MCAT

Home-Study Books
(All passages include detailed explanations, so that students can prepare solely by doing the passages and reviewing the answer explanations. Roughly 40% of the pages in our materials are answer explanations.)

Biology Book 1
Neurology and Muscle, Heart and Lung, Kidney and GI, Reproduction and Development, and Endocrinology and Immunology
Contains 84 passages and nearly 600 questions
Biology Book 2
Cellular Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, and Genetics
Contains 84 passages and nearly 600 questions
  • Many students find our biology passages challenging and a great way to assess how well they know biology. They are an excellent resource and new as of November 2010 is the inclusion of an extra practice exam at the conclusion of the books.

General Chemistry Book 1
Stoichiometry, Atomic Structure, Equilibrium, Acids and Bases, and Titration Curves
Contains 68 passages and over 600 questions
General Chemistry Book 2
Gases, Phases, Thermodynamics, Chemical Kinetics, and Electrochemistry
Contains 63 passages and over 600 questions
  • Our general chemistry books garner high praise for their passages, answer explanations, and unique tricks for solving questions quickly. We proudly boast the best general chemistry books for the MCAT anywhere.

Organic Chemistry Book 1
Organic Structure, Spectroscopy, Stereochemistry, and Hydrocarbons
Contains 56 passages and nearly 450 questions
Organic Chemistry Book 2
Carbonyls, Carbohydrates, Amino Acids, and Laboratory Techniques
Contains 56 passages and nearly 450 questions
  • Our organic chemistry books present the material from a fundamental perspective and cover topics from the ground up. Because organic chemistry is lightly tested, many of the questions and passages are written to incorporate material from other subjects, so while studying organic chemistry you are also reviewing general chemistry, biochemistry, physiology, and physics where applicable.

Physics Book 1
Translational Motion, Forces, Work, Momentum, Torque, Periodic Motion, and Waves
Contains 50 passages and nearly 500 questions
Physics Book 2
Sound, Fluids and Solids, Electrostatics and Electromagnetism, Electrical Circuits, Light, and Optics
Contains 50 passages and nearly 500 questions
  • Our physics books are known throughout the premedical community to have the best strategies, the best passages, the best questions, and most of all the best answer explanations. We introduced a new physics book for home-study in November 2010, and there is nothing on the market that comes close to its quality. This is the only MCAT physics book you need.

Verbal Reasoning Book
includes 105 passages with full answer explanations and test strategy tips
Essay Composition Book
includes sample essays and a strategy formula for writing a strong essay
  • With so few verbal books on the market, practice passages for verbal reasoning are at a premium. Our verbal reasoning book delivers a wide range of passage types and exposes the student to both easy passages and absolute brain twisters.

Practice Exams
(7 Full-Length CBT Exams, all come with 21 Passages and detailed answer explanations)
  • TBR Practice Test I . . . . .Good starter exam (difficult PS, easy VR, medium BS)
  • TBR Practice Test II . . . . Mid-range Exam (medium PS, hard VR, medium BS)
  • TBR Practice Test III . . . .Punishment Exam (difficult PS, difficult VR, difficult BS)
  • TBR Practice Test IV . . . . Mid-range Exam (medium PS, medium VR, hard BS)
  • TBR Practice Test V . . . . .Difficult Exam (hard PS, medium VR, hard BS)
  • TBR Practice Test VI . . . . Mid-range Exam (semi-easy PS, medium VR, medium BS)
  • TBR Practice Test VII . . . .Hard Exam (hard PS, medium VR, hard BS)
note that the difficulty assessment is based on student feedback, and not everyone agreed on the exact difficulty of each exam or section within an exam

Quick facts:
  • 1) There are literally hundreds of posts at SDN by students who used the Berkeley Review materials and scored in the 30s.
  • 2) All books were written by experts in their specific field after they had attained several years of experience teaching MCAT preparation.
  • 3) The books contain over 500 unique strategies for getting a best answer.
  • 4) The books offer a perfect blend of concept and information review with the incorporation of MCAT-specific test-taking skills and strategies.

What makes our books the best?
Simply put, the authors are all experienced teachers in their field of expertise, and they write explanations, concepts, and strategies gleaned over years of teaching. Only experts at teaching MCAT preparation know how to write a book aimed at this level, mixing strategies, problem solving skills, and conceptual review of material. No other MCAT preparation material authors can claim to have as much teaching experience as Berkeley Review's authors. We have senior authors on staff who have been writing practice questions and review materials for the MCAT since 1988.

There's a reason our materials have a resale value at SDN that is so much higher than any other materials. Their high quality is common knowledge. Passages, questions, and answer explanations that are this good are bound to be the most popular.

Included are some sample pages to show our way of presenting topics.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Sample Electrochemistry Passage--SDN.pdf
    165.1 KB · Views: 130
  • Sample Lenses Text (Physics Section 10)--SDN.pdf
    253 KB · Views: 95
  • Sample Organic Lab Techniques Passages--SDN.pdf
    133.5 KB · Views: 97
Does TBR offer a calender detailing exactly how much material to get through in order to complete studying in X amount of time? Or do we have to create a self-study calender ourselves?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have some paper TBR exams from friends. Are they still useful for the CBT tests?

I have some paper TBR exams from friends. Are they still useful for the CBT tests?

The last paper exams were from 2006, which are a little outdated, but would still be helpful. But if they are from before 2004, then there are some passages on topics that are no longer tested. In that case, you'd want to stick to current exams.

But one factor you need to consider is that the actual MCAT is in a computer format, so whether it's BR CBTs or AAMC CBTs, you need to take plenty in that format to be prepared.

The last paper exams were from 2006, which are a little outdated, but would still be helpful. But if they are from before 2004, then there are some passages on topics that are no longer tested. In that case, you'd want to stick to current exams.

But one factor you need to consider is that the actual MCAT is in a computer format, so whether it's BR CBTs or AAMC CBTs, you need to take plenty in that format to be prepared.

Are paper versions of the current TBR CBTs available?

I ask because some people will be taking paper versions of AAMC's real mcat as a disability accommodation. Some people will get extra time as well.

(Assuming the answer will be, "no." I might point out that AAMC makes their CBTs available in paper, but restricts the answer key to online access to prevent sharing. AAMC could probably tell you if that method works.)

I'm trying to order the berkely review book set but i need a quote for shipping to Canada (postal code is t3p1h4) and i need to know what the cost will be in CAD if I am sending a cheque. I sent an email and recieved no response, and I tried calling the number on the website but the operater says the call cannot be completed. any assistance would be appreciated. thx!

Wouldn't it be better to start with BIO2 rather than Physiology?