Besides Neurosurgery, which specialties have both lay and professional prestige?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What big academic centers have IR in house 24/7? I trained at a big academic center, but they would only do home call.

They "technically" did home call too. But they owned so much turf at our hospital that they got called in for EVERYTHING. They didn't really ever turn down cases either, because there were emergencies nearly every night...they knew they'd be called in eventually for a trauma-related embolization. Several attendings slept in the hospital call rooms rather than even try home call.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone of the laity, I always thought psychiatrists were respected doctors but then I found SDN and saw that their average Step 1's were the lowest of the bunch.

Lol Schnurek is like meg from family guy. Everyone takes a dump on him/her

Nah, he's more like a bad toilet.

Everyone takes a **** on him, but occasionally he gets backed up and starts spewing **** all over the floor.

In these situations, someone needs to shove a plunger down his throat and force it back down.

Nah, he's more like a bad toilet.

Everyone takes a **** on him, but occasionally he gets backed up and starts spewing **** all over the floor.

In these situations, someone needs to shove a plunger down his throat and force it back down.

Haha no you just have a personal vendetta against me. Go back to reading your computer slides that have already been diagnosed and fixed by the surgeon. I hope your specialty gets outsourced by telemedicine or replaced by computers in a similar manner to facial recognition software. Probably too socially inept to pick an interpersonal interactive specialty. Radiology -4% proposed cut not makin' you too happy?

Haha no you just have a personal vendetta against me. Go back to reading your computer slides that have already been diagnosed and fixed by the surgeon. I hope your specialty gets outsourced by telemedicine or replaced by computers in a similar manner to facial recognition software. Probably too socially inept to pick an interpersonal interactive specialty. Radiology -4% proposed cut not makin' you too happy?

Probably too mentally inept to get into med school. Your future salary of 25% of the average radiologist not makin' you too happy?

Like interacting with people, hate dealing with social work.

Looking forward to computer automation - ideally will get a few patents on techniques for it.

Considering how vulnerable your field is to automation and telemedicine, I'm surprised you'd focus on this.

Most of the ocular techniques that couldn't be handled automatically by a machine or remote image viewing are solely in the domain of the MDs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going into family medicine. I'd say it doesn't get a whole bunch of respect from other specialties at all. Obviously I don't care all that much.

I'm going into family medicine. I'd say it doesn't get a whole bunch of respect from other specialties at all. Obviously I don't care all that much.

I'm not sure about that. You guys have to manage a ton of stuff and interact with patients more than any of us. I can't speak for everyone, but I certainly respect the primary care specialties.

I'm not sure about that. You guys have to manage a ton of stuff and interact with patients more than any of us. I can't speak for everyone, but I certainly respect the primary care specialties.

Agree!! You are at the front gate in healthcare...You help tie things together...And in so many words- unknown to many there is no hiding here..:thumbup:

You know what - screw prestige. Hell, screw money. With the changes coming up in healthcare god knows what the hell people are going to be paid in the coming years. I'm going into something I enjoy and be happy and healthy as a result.

You know what - screw prestige. Hell, screw money. With the changes coming up in healthcare god knows what the hell people are going to be paid in the coming years. I'm going into something I enjoy and be happy and healthy as a result.

Right choice.

But what if some degree of financial independence would make us happy too?

The variation in salary in medicine is low, the lowest level of compensation is relatively high. Predicting the future is a fool's game.

Go into a specialty that you would be okay earning $100k for, and you will almost certainly end up being pleasantly surprised.

And even if you earn more, live like you're only earning $100k.

(Realize many people would punch you in the face for saying something like "only $100k".)

The variation in salary in medicine is low, the lowest level of compensation is relatively high. Predicting the future is a fool's game.

Go into a specialty that you would be okay earning $100k for, and you will almost certainly end up being pleasantly surprised.

(Realize many people would punch you in the face for saying something like "only $100k".)

Not always easy to live like you're earning $100k when your wife knows what you actually make :smuggrin:

In all seriousness, I think $200k is a more accurate basement salary level. Things aren't going to be as glum and grim as everyone makes them out be. So yeah, echoing what others have said, choose a specialty that you would be happy doing regardless of income. Making money while being miserable isn't worth it. There are more important things.

Good advice. It's not like I have huge financial goals. I just want to be able to pay off my student loans + pay off a 200k home before I'm 70 + help kids with college + be able to fill up my roth IRA every year along with some sort of 401k. Nothing fancy.

Good advice. It's not like I have huge financial goals. I just want to be able to pay off my student loans + pay off a 200k home before I'm 70 + help kids with college + be able to fill up my roth IRA every year along with some sort of 401k. Nothing fancy.

What market is this where paying off a a 200k home "before 70" is something to aspire to? Texas?

Half-joking...

Here's a charming 200k abode in [ghetto] SoCal:

l370ecd43-m0x.jpg

Here's a romantic 200k domicile in the midwest (read: kentucky):

lc115b943-m0x.jpg

Here's a cozy 200k ranch... if one wants to live in the carolinas:

l8290c143-m0x.jpg

Lastly, here's a remodeled 200k residence in New York:

download.jpg

200k doesn't buy much anymore. I mean, hell, look at that NY joint. Sure they have a basketball hoop (which is awesome), but the pool -- it is ABOVE ground.

What market is this where paying off a a 200k home "before 70" is something to aspire to? Texas?

Half-joking...

Here's a charming 200k abode in [ghetto] SoCal:

l370ecd43-m0x.jpg

Here's a romantic 200k domicile in the midwest (read: kentucky):

lc115b943-m0x.jpg

Here's a cozy 200k ranch... if one wants to live in the carolinas:

l8290c143-m0x.jpg

Lastly, here's a remodeled 200k residence in New York:

download.jpg

200k doesn't buy much anymore. I mean, hell, look at that NY joint. Sure they have a basketball hoop (which is awesome), but the pool -- it is ABOVE ground.

HAHAHA the NY housing prices are ridiculous.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using SDN Mobile

HAHAHA the NY housing prices are ridiculous.

Yeah, but if you choose to live outside of Manhattan :rolleyes: there are deals to be made. Friend in Brooklyn lives in a 2 bedroom with a roommate for 600 a month. Former colleague lives in Manhattan for 8000 a month... Square footage is almost identical between the two pads :laugh:

200k where I live gets an decent 3 bedroom 2 bath.

200k FL

ld9d8cc43-w7x.jpg

My goal is to live within my means. If I can get a 200k duplex I would love that. Someone else can help subsidize my living by renting out the other side. Think about it - lets say you're a physician making 200k/yr. Would you really be comfortable trying to pay off a home that was more than 100% of your salary?

Last edited:
What does ~700k per annum get? :smuggrin:

I live in the suburbs in LI, 700k would buy you a nice house depending on location. In the city maybe a mid sized apartment depending on location again.

200k FL

ld9d8cc43-w7x.jpg

My goal is to live within my means. If I can get a 200k duplex I would love that. Someone else can help subsidize my living by renting out the other side. Think about it - lets say you're a physician making 200k/yr. Would you really be comfortable trying to pay off a home that was more than 100% of your salary?

Your annual salary? Of course.

200k FL

ld9d8cc43-w7x.jpg

Do you understand how mortgages work?

Do you understand how mortgages work?

So many physicians and physicians-in-training are so ignorant on so many financial concepts. I've always wondered how so many doctors are so bad with their money.

What does ~700k per annum get? :smuggrin:

A phat mansion with 2-3 nice cars. Purely speculation on my part, though ;)

I live in the suburbs in LI, 700k would buy you a nice house depending on location. In the city maybe a mid sized apartment depending on location again.

I think he meant 700k per year (annum)

Would you really be comfortable trying to pay off a home that was more than 100% of your salary?

Ummmm most people would be incredibly comfortable paying off a home that is more than 100% of their salary lol... Mortgages are typically for 30 (or 15) year periods. You would be expected to pay that 100k (plus interest of course) over the course of 30 years... Pretty easy to do if you make 100k per year.

The general rule of thumb is to purchase a home no more than 3 times your annual income. My personal rule is twice your annual income + a 15 year mortgage, but it's not always doable depending on your situation. You should probably read a personal finance book... It will really help you. The number of people who don't understand basic personal finance topics (such as mortgages) is alarming.

Yeah, but if you choose to live outside of Manhattan :rolleyes: there are deals to be made. Friend in Brooklyn lives in a 2 bedroom with a roommate for 600 a month. Former colleague lives in Manhattan for 8000 a month... Square footage is almost identical between the two pads :laugh:

200k where I live gets an decent 3 bedroom 2 bath.

A decent 1 bedroom in Manhattan costs 3k a month. If you share a 3 bedroom, you can get a really nice place paying 2k a month per person. Renting isn't that bad. However, if you're planning on buying, you better be a trust fund baby. Decent apartments start out at 800k to 1 million.

A decent 1 bedroom in Manhattan costs 3k a month. If you share a 3 bedroom, you can get a really nice place paying 2k a month per person. Renting isn't that bad. However, if you're planning on buying, you better be a trust fund baby. Decent apartments start out at 800k to 1 million.

His is 2 bedroom and I think the place was 1.5 million. He bought it and just lives with his wife and one child, so he pays the entire payment. However, there are really expensive fees for living in his building and using the facilities (I think they are 2.5-3k per month). HOA fees completely screw you. The guy in Brooklyn has a really basic place with just a doorman (no pool, gym, etc.). That's why the prices are so different, but the square footage is so similar.

His is 2 bedroom and I think the place was 1.5 million. He bought it and just lives with his wife and one child, so he pays the entire payment. However, there are really expensive fees for living in his building and using the facilities (I think they are 2.5-3k per month). HOA fees completely screw you. The guy in Brooklyn has a really basic place with just a doorman (no pool, gym, etc.). That's why the prices are so different, but the square footage is so similar.

1.5 million is a pretty good bargain for a 2 bedroom in Manhattan. Unfortunately HOA costs are out of control, even in Brooklyn imo. I know couples making 500k+ living in studios to save money. One of my goals is to buy my own condo in New York, but it looks like it won't happen for 20 years (unless we can convince the spouse's rents that investing in property is a good idea...)

In actuality I'm a financial genius. Yes, I know exactly how a mortgage works. You on the other hand are poor with money and will buy too much house forgoing many investment opportunities as you clumsily attempt to navigate your way through life. I was simply being frugal.

So many physicians and physicians-in-training are so ignorant on so many financial concepts. I've always wondered how so many doctors are so bad with their money.

I'm not talking about buying outside your means. What I was referring to was the notion that if the house/property you're looking to buy happens to be worth more than a year's salary, that doesn't mean there isn't a way to pay for it. I'm going to venture out on a limb and say that most houses' worth exceeds the yearly salary of its buyer(s)

In actuality I'm a financial genius. Yes, I know exactly how a mortgage works. You on the other hand are poor with money and will buy too much house forgoing many investment opportunities as you clumsily attempt to navigate your way through life. I was simply being frugal.

Taking out a mortgage does not equal being terrible with money; nice job painting with broad strokes. MOST people pay for their houses with mortgages, and most houses cost more than 100% of someone's yearly salary.

My implication was not "buy whatever you want because the bank will make the Benjamins rain." How you were able to jump to the conclusion that I'm terrible with money because I suggested a mortgage is beyond me.

Last edited:
1.5 million is a pretty good bargain for a 2 bedroom in Manhattan. Unfortunately HOA costs are out of control, even in Brooklyn imo. I know couples making 500k+ living in studios to save money. One of my goals is to buy my own condo in New York, but it looks like it won't happen for 20 years (unless we can convince the spouse's rents that investing in property is a good idea...)

Yeah, he snagged a really nice deal. My wife too has always wanted to own a condo in NY, but the housing prices there are just out of control. She in fact wanted me to work there when I was initially looking for jobs. I chose a location with maybe half the cost of living and one fourth the real estate prices (relative to sq ft). We're really happy where we are now, but giving up the fast-paced, exciting NYC life was not easy

That's not being frugal. That's being miserly. I would agree with the above poster's statements that most homes are priced above the owner's income. Taking out a mortgage on a home over 100% of your income in no way makes you poor with money. A 30 year mortgage on a 100k home results in monthly payments of ~500 a month, whereas your net income is probably near 7000. What do you plan on doing with those investment opportunities? Vacationing in Pittsburgh in 2 star motels? Being so miserly and hoarding all of your money does not ultimately benefit you. You can have some balance. There is no point being the richest man in the cemetery.

And by your previous statement: "Would you really be comfortable trying to pay off a home that was more than 100% of your salary?" I highly doubt you knew how mortgages worked...

A penny saved is a penny earned.

That's not being frugal. That's being miserly. I would agree with the above poster's statements that most homes are priced above the owner's income. Taking out a mortgage on a home over 100% of your income in no way makes you poor with money. A 30 year mortgage on a 100k home results in monthly payments of ~500 a month, whereas your net income is probably near 7000. What do you plan on doing with those investment opportunities? Vacationing in Pittsburgh in 2 star motels? Being so miserly and hoarding all of your money does not ultimately benefit you. You can have some balance. There is no point being the richest man in the cemetery.

And by your previous statement: "Would you really be comfortable trying to pay off a home that was more than 100% of your salary?" I highly doubt you knew how mortgages worked...

Not true at all.

Even in Manhattan, there are decent apartments (1 bedroom) <$500k, even <$400k. And that's not including Uptown (Harlem, East Harlem).

And there are great deals in Brooklyn and Queens.

200k FL

A penny saved is a penny earned.

Okay, a couple points.

1. 200k home before your 70 - uhh I think you'll be okay.

2. As a physician you will likely be above the earning level to be able to contribute to a Roth IRA. But I highly doubt you even know what that is anyways (that won't stop you from googling it then copy and pasting here what you find.)

3. Pay off a home more than 100% of your salary? Many people have already pointed out your ignorance on this one but seriously? You clearly do not know how mortgages work and yes your basic financial knowledge is quite scary.

4. Forgoing investment opportunities? Such as? Please enlighten us with your financial wisdom. You seem like someone who just likes to throw out terminology ( roth IRA, 401k, investment opportunities) for the sake of hearing themselves talk.

It's quite clear that you are a bull**itter and if you make it to med school you will get called out and eaten alive. You have a lot to learn, I suggest you start accepting what you don't know.

Not true at all.

Even in Manhattan, there are decent apartments (1 bedroom) <$500k, even <$400k. And that's not including Uptown (Harlem, East Harlem).

And there are great deals in Brooklyn and Queens.

I think he was taking about the nicer parts of Manhattan in buildings with many facilities, in which case my experience has been similar with prices. Regardless, rent for a $500k apartment in a nice location in Manhattan will come up to around $3k anyway, so he seems correct. Studios for $1m+ are not uncommon.
But I would agree that you can find decent 1 bedrooms for much cheaper; they just won't be in prime locations with all the bells and whistles.

Last edited:
I think he was taking about the nicer parts of Manhattan in buildings with many facilities, in which case my experience has been similar with prices. Studios for $1m+ are not uncommon.
But I would agree that you can find decent 1 bedrooms for much cheaper; they just won't be in prime locations with all the bells and whistles.

Doorman buildings in Yorkville have 1 bedrooms <$500k.

There are obviously always more expensive apartments - someone just bought an $80 million one for his daughter.

Doorman buildings in Yorkville have 1 bedrooms <$500k.

There are obviously always more expensive apartments - someone just bought an $80 million one for his daughter.

Yeah, the Russian fertilizer tycoon who coincidentally also owns the most expensive home in the U.S.

Feel better? lol. I wasn't attempting to troll but I did find your response comical. I suppose we just have different financial goals. Maybe "financial genius" was giving myself a little too much credit. But since you've asked about my financial strategy post-education i'll share.

My goals are to live comfortably while not taking too many risks. Right now all I'm doing is filling up my roth IRA each year but as you suggested that wont be possible in the future (hopefully) because of the income cap. Therefore contributing to a traditional IRA and 401k will make sense. By living in a home less than or equal to an average salary [est average for first 5 years post education] I plan to use left over money to invest in rental properties. The idea being that future rents will be a nice supplement to ira's or mutual fund draws. Pretty basic - but in general I'm a frugal person who is easily satisfied which might be why I think along these lines.

GL

PS: I find the idea that I would be called out in medical school for my financial views a little extreme. Not that I talk in person about these things much.

Okay, a couple points.

1. 200k home before your 70 - uhh I think you'll be okay.

2. As a physician you will likely be above the earning level to be able to contribute to a Roth IRA. But I highly doubt you even know what that is anyways (that won't stop you from googling it then copy and pasting here what you find.)

3. Pay off a home more than 100% of your salary? Many people have already pointed out your ignorance on this one but seriously? You clearly do not know how mortgages work and yes your basic financial knowledge is quite scary.

4. Forgoing investment opportunities? Such as? Please enlighten us with your financial wisdom. You seem like someone who just likes to throw out terminology ( roth IRA, 401k, investment opportunities) for the sake of hearing themselves talk.

It's quite clear that you are a bull**itter and if you make it to med school you will get called out and eaten alive. You have a lot to learn, I suggest you start accepting what you don't know.

*Thinks* Good job self - that sounded great.

Last edited: