Best 0+6 pharmacy schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hack97

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here, so I bet there are plenty of threads just like mine. I'm sorry.

Anyway, I am currently a junior in high school and I am aspiring to be a pharmacist. I have narrowed my options in regards to pharmacy schools to the following (in no particular order):

-Northeastern University
-Albany College of Pharmacy
-Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
-University at Buffalo
-MAYBE Rutgers University

These are my only real options, considering I want to go to a 6-year program (which severely limits the possibilities). If anyone could give me advice as to which one I should apply, that would be greatly appreciated (Assuming I can get into all of them, only one I might have a possibility of rejection is Northeastern)

Which one is the best? Why? Which one would look most appealing on a job application? Does it really matter where you get your Pharm.D?

I am a NY resident, and money isn't a problem for me (although I wouldn't mind saving a few bucks without downgrading).

Lastly, I don't plan on living in NY in the future, so would getting my Pharm.D up North hurt my chances of getting a pharmacist job in the South in the future?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think 0-6 schools are a bad idea in general because as a high schooler you have no idea what you really want to do. If you must go to a 0-6 school go somewhere where it won't be hard to back out and your credits would apply elsewhere throughout the school. I'd imagine Northeastern/UB/Rutgers would all fit this.

No I'm positive this is what I want to do... I mean, why waste 2 years of time and money when you can get it done in 6 instead of 8?

Members don't see this ad :)
No I'm positive this is what I want to do... I mean, why waste 2 years of time and money when you can get it done in 6 instead of 8?
Oh wise one, how are you so sure?

I heard good things about Northeastern and Rutgers. I went to USP and it wasn't that great, but from what I heard still a better option than Albany and MCPHS.

I heard good things about Northeastern and Rutgers. I went to USP and it wasn't that great, but from what I heard still a better option than Albany and MCPHS.
Did you ever have any difficulty finding a job due to the school you chose? (No offense, I have heard USP has a solid program)

Where does 8 years come from? Also I hope you get a lot of scholarships or are prepared to pay loans your entire life and have to live in the middle of no where just to get a job 6 years from now. Oh and it.doesn't matter where you get your degree. Go to the cheapest in state school

Reactions: 1 user
Did you ever have any difficulty finding a job due to the school you chose? (No offense, I have heard USP has a solid program)

I went the clinical route, so I did a residency. I matched, so I guess not too much trouble there. After residency, I had a hard time finding a job, but so did everyone else in the area, regardless of school. I am on the West Coast now, and we just had a USP alumni gathering here. That just tells you that our alumni are everywhere.

Check out University of Rhode Island...if you really want to be in the south, check out University of South Carolina. Do the two years pre-pharmacy then transfer in. It's not a guaranteed admission program.

Only ~20 schools REQUIRE more than 2 years of preparatory coursework. For a lot of schools, there is a preference for bachelor's degrees, but it isn't a requirement.
You look like you are focusing on the northeast. In Pennsylvania alone, Pitt, Duquesne, Temple, and Wilkes will take qualified applicants with two years of prep coursework, meaning you'll be eligible to graduate after 6 years.

Also: Albany and Buffalo are no longer 0-6 programs.

Only ~20 schools REQUIRE more than 2 years of preparatory coursework. For a lot of schools, there is a preference for bachelor's degrees, but it isn't a requirement.
You look like you are focusing on the northeast. In Pennsylvania alone, Pitt, Duquesne, Temple, and Wilkes will take qualified applicants with two years of prep coursework, meaning you'll be eligible to graduate after 6 years.

So how difficult is it to get into, say, any of the top 20 pharmacy schools with only 2 years instead of a bachelor's degree?

Are you sure UB and Albany aren't 6 years? On the UB website it says it is 6 years...

Members don't see this ad :)

how about doing 2 yrs of pre-pharmacy at some instate university or CC then applying to 3 yrs program = 5 yrs total and saving a ton of money (in tuition + loans interest) while shaving off another yr to start making money as a pharmacist. Why not ??

So how difficult is it to get into, say, any of the top 20 pharmacy schools with only 2 years instead of a bachelor's degree?

Not that I place too much value in the USNWR rankings, but here they are: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...-schools/top-health-schools/pharmacy-rankings
The first 0-6 program to appear is Northeastern at #39.

Are you sure UB and Albany aren't 6 years? On the UB website it says it is 6 years...

Don't mistake a six year school with a 0-6; most schools [including Buffalo and Albany] are 2+4, which gets you to your degree in 6 years.

how about doing 2 yrs of pre-pharmacy at some instate university or CC then applying to 3 yrs program = 5 yrs total and saving a ton of money (in tuition + loans interest) while shaving off another yr to start making money as a pharmacist. Why not ??

Because most accelerated programs have historically wanted more than 2 years of pre-reqs for an incoming student.

With applications flat-lining and more programs opening up, I believe this is changing.

EDIT: fixed present/past tense mismatch

Last edited:
Because most accelerated programs have historically want more than 2 years of pre-reqs for an incoming student.

With applications flat-lining and more programs opening up, I believe this is changing.

So I guess it is even more lax admission ??

I would also advise against a 0-6 program. I'm glad that I didn't end up doing what I wanted to do at 17... I would go to a state school and get your pre-recs. The pharmacy school pre-recs are pretty standard for most professional programs or upper-level STEM programs. Get a JOB in a pharmacy as early as you can and make sure that it is what you actually want to do. Volunteering a few hours a month is not the same as having day to day responsibilites.

It is definitely do-able as long as you have a solid application package. That being said, I go to a top-tier school and I'd say about 75% of my classmates have a bachelor's in one field or another.

It is definitely do-able as long as you have a solid application package. That being said, I go to a top-tier school and I'd say about 75% of my classmates have a bachelor's in one field or another.
Good to know. I have heard that West coast schools almost exclusively accept only students who have a bachelor's. How about schools in the East? I'm just worried that if I get my pre-reqs done in 2 years, no reputable schools will accept me, and I will be stuck. Is that true?

Good to know. I have heard that West coast schools almost exclusively accept only students who have a bachelor's. How about schools in the East? I'm just worried that if I get my pre-reqs done in 2 years, no reputable schools will accept me, and I will be stuck. Is that true?

anything is possible. But I think you will be ok as more and more pharmacy schools are popping up and you are doing well in your pre-pharmacy study...

Will we likely one day expect a Bachelor's to be a pre-requisite for virtually all pharmacy schools? It seems that just a few years ago (~15ish) many medical schools and dental schools did not require a Bachelor's, whereas today that seems to have changed.

Will we likely one day expect a Bachelor's to be a pre-requisite for virtually all pharmacy schools? It seems that just a few years ago (~15ish) many medical schools and dental schools did not require a Bachelor's, whereas today that seems to have changed.

No time soon.

Also, since I am interested in living in Florida in the future, is the University of Florida (Gainesville) College of Pharmacy a reputable program? Any info on that would be greatly appreciated.

Also, since I am interested in living in Florida in the future, is the University of Florida (Gainesville) College of Pharmacy a reputable program? Any info on that would be greatly appreciated.

I may be biased, but UF is generally reguarded as a top tier school.

ask questions which you cannot Google ... ;)

I may be biased, but UF is generally reguarded as a top tier school.
I agree, from what I have seen, it is a well-respected program. On the UF website, it says that you need Associate of Arts (AA) to even apply? That seems pretty ridiculous to me. But that's just my 2 cents.

I agree, from what I have seen, it is a well-respected program. On the UF website, it says that you need Associate of Arts (AA) to even apply? That seems pretty ridiculous to me. But that's just my 2 cents.

sorry to chime in, but you are confusing me... your status says you are a pharmacy student, yet here you say you are only a junior in high school... Then your commenting about UF here sounds like you know a lot, but you asked if UF Gainesville was a reputable program...

nothing wrong with 2 years of pre-pharmacy.... there is actually no real need for 4 yr degree for pharmacy's admission (or even for medical school's) if you know ahead what you are going to do with your life...

if you ask around, there are plenty of pharmacists and pharmacy students who only had/have 2 years of pre-pharm study and it has been fine that way for million of years now.... (unless you wanna burn time and money in school) jk :) it sounds here like you do not think pharmacy should only require a 2 yr of pre-pharmacy.... but then again you wanna go for 0-6 yr pharmacy program ?? :thinking::thinking:

Hello, I'm new here, so I bet there are plenty of threads just like mine. I'm sorry.

Anyway, I am currently a junior in high school and I am aspiring to be a pharmacist. I have narrowed my options in regards to pharmacy schools to the following (in no particular order):

-Northeastern University
-Albany College of Pharmacy
-Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
-University at Buffalo
-MAYBE Rutgers University

These are my only real options, considering I want to go to a 6-year program (which severely limits the possibilities). If anyone could give me advice as to which one I should apply, that would be greatly appreciated (Assuming I can get into all of them, only one I might have a possibility of rejection is Northeastern)

Which one is the best? Why? Which one would look most appealing on a job application? Does it really matter where you get your Pharm.D?

I am a NY resident, and money isn't a problem for me (although I wouldn't mind saving a few bucks without downgrading).

Lastly, I don't plan on living in NY in the future, so would getting my Pharm.D up North hurt my chances of getting a pharmacist job in the South in the future?

Thanks

sorry to chime in, but you are confusing me... your status says you are a pharmacy student, yet here you say you are only a junior in high school... Then your commenting about UF here sounds like you know a lot, but you asked if UF Gainesville was a reputable program...

nothing wrong with 2 years of pre-pharmacy.... there is actually no real need for 4 yr degree for pharmacy's admission (or even for medical school's) if you know ahead what you are going to do with your life...

if you ask around, there are plenty of pharmacists and pharmacy students who only had/have 2 years of pre-pharm study and it has been fine that way for million of years now.... (unless you wanna burn time and money in school) jk :) it sounds here like you do not think pharmacy should only require a 2 yr of pre-pharmacy.... but then again you wanna go for 0-6 yr pharmacy program ?? :thinking::thinking:
I didn't know what to make my profile thing. Whatever. That's irrelevant.

When exactly did I say pharmacy school should require more than 2 years of pre-reqs? Not trying to sound snappy, but it seems to me like you are making things up here...

I just thought it was ridiculous that UF required an Associate of ARTS when you are becoming a pharmacist (obviously a heavily science and math oriented profession). I asked people here what they thought of UF because it is better to get real people's opinions, since the school website will obviously always say that it is a reputable and respected program.

Hack 97, I was in your position 8 years ago. I either wanted to be a software engineer or a pharmacist. I ended up choosing pharmacy. I went to a 0-6 school in Ohio. I graduated in 2014. If Pharmacy is truly what you want to do then I believe honestly 0-6 schools are the best way to go. Here is why: the market is getting really bad so you want to get out faster to get a job before everywhere, including rural areas ,are saturated. Secondly I graduated at 23 with my doctorate and work as a pharmacist at 24. How many 24 year olds in other professions can say they have a doctorate degree and make the kind of money pharmacists make right out of college, not 15 years down the line after working themselves to death for promotions? No shade to other professions just being honest. It's RARE! I heard Northeastern is a great school I applied and got in there but ended up not going because they didn't give me enough financial aid. There's also St. John's university too which is in NY.

Secondly the type of school or name of school you go to for pharmacy does NOT matter if you want to become a pharmacist and work retail, hospital, or something besides residency! What matters is what you do while in college. Get involved in professional organizations diversify your involvement do something outside of pharmacy to show employers you can multitask. Make your resume, after your 3rd year it becomes a CV, look interesting. GPA in college only matters for scholarships and if you intend to do a residency after graduation, employers do NOT ask your GPA.

The only thing I will say with 0-6 schools is that you kind of miss out on the" fun" college experience that people have going to 4-4 schools because they got a general science degree in undergrad and partied a lot (sorry what I've heard from a lot of people). At least for me I went to a small school in a small town so my opinion is slightly jaded, but surprisingly I had a lot of fun in college but I'm not your typical pretentious, stuck up, nerdy pharmacy student either (trust me 85-90% of your pharmacy class will fit at least part of this description and I have met people from schools in the east, south, west and Midwest who agree). If you go to school in a big city or a large university I imagine it will be fun regardless. I went to school in Ohio and now currently live and work in California. So you can get a job anywhere as long as you graduate.

As far as other people saying "how do you know it is what you want to do?" ignore them. Not everyone needs to frolic around to figure out what they want to do and waste a bunch of money and time especially if they end up wanting to be in a specialized field (such as pharmacy or engineering, in which you have to take certain Gen Eds in order to be admitted or stay in the program to graduate on time). While in college, the first 2 years I contemplated "Is this what I want to do?" I thought about transferring switching majors etc. lots of times but I pushed on and graduated on time and now love my career and happy I made it. Also you first 2 years at most 0-6 year schools are Gen Eds so if you choose to switch careers focus do so before your 3rd year and 4th year at the latest which is when most schools start actual pharmacy focused courses(I.E. therapeutics). This way your credits will transfer (I have friends who did this) and you can still graduate on time.

Lastly if money is no object, good for you, but most pharmacy students rack up 6 figure debt so be mindful of that when choosing a university.

All I will say is it was my dream to move to CA and make a good salary, and with pharmacy I was able to do that at 23 years old. IJS. Feel free to ask me any question you'd like I'm not a keyboard warrior and pretentious like some of the people on this site.

Hack 97, I was in your position 8 years ago. I either wanted to be a software engineer or a pharmacist. I ended up choosing pharmacy. I went to a 0-6 school in Ohio. I graduated in 2014. If Pharmacy is truly what you want to do then I believe honestly 0-6 schools are the best way to go. Here is why: the market is getting really bad so you want to get out faster to get a job before everywhere, including rural areas ,are saturated. Secondly I graduated at 23 with my doctorate and work as a pharmacist at 24. How many 24 year olds in other professions can say they have a doctorate degree and make the kind of money pharmacists make right out of college, not 15 years down the line after working themselves to death for promotions? No shade to other professions just being honest. It's RARE! I heard Northeastern is a great school I applied and got in there but ended up not going because they didn't give me enough financial aid. There's also St. John's university too which is in NY.

Secondly the type of school or name of school you go to for pharmacy does NOT matter if you want to become a pharmacist and work retail, hospital, or something besides residency! What matters is what you do while in college. Get involved in professional organizations diversify your involvement do something outside of pharmacy to show employers you can multitask. Make your resume, after your 3rd year it becomes a CV, look interesting. GPA in college only matters for scholarships and if you intend to do a residency after graduation, employers do NOT ask your GPA.

The only thing I will say with 0-6 schools is that you kind of miss out on the" fun" college experience that people have going to 4-4 schools because they got a general science degree in undergrad and partied a lot (sorry what I've heard from a lot of people). At least for me I went to a small school in a small town so my opinion is slightly jaded, but surprisingly I had a lot of fun in college but I'm not your typical pretentious, stuck up, nerdy pharmacy student either (trust me 85-90% of your pharmacy class will fit at least part of this description and I have met people from schools in the east, south, west and Midwest who agree). If you go to school in a big city or a large university I imagine it will be fun regardless. I went to school in Ohio and now currently live and work in California. So you can get a job anywhere as long as you graduate.

As far as other people saying "how do you know it is what you want to do?" ignore them. Not everyone needs to frolic around to figure out what they want to do and waste a bunch of money and time especially if they end up wanting to be in a specialized field (such as pharmacy or engineering, in which you have to take certain Gen Eds in order to be admitted or stay in the program to graduate on time). While in college, the first 2 years I contemplated "Is this what I want to do?" I thought about transferring switching majors etc. lots of times but I pushed on and graduated on time and now love my career and happy I made it. Also you first 2 years at most 0-6 year schools are Gen Eds so if you choose to switch careers focus do so before your 3rd year and 4th year at the latest which is when most schools start actual pharmacy focused courses(I.E. therapeutics). This way your credits will transfer (I have friends who did this) and you can still graduate on time.

Lastly if money is no object, good for you, but most pharmacy students rack up 6 figure debt so be mindful of that when choosing a university.

All I will say is it was my dream to move to CA and make a good salary, and with pharmacy I was able to do that at 23 years old. IJS. Feel free to ask me any question you'd like I'm not a keyboard warrior and pretentious like some of the people on this site.
pharmgrad24,
Wow! Excellent info! Thank you very much.

Good to know you got your pharm.D in 6 years in Ohio, and you have a job in California. That will hopefully be similar to my scenario in the future (just swap California with Florida :) Also, what are the direct benefits of doing residency right after you graduate? As opposed to just going out and applying for a job right after you graduate. I am also glad to know that it doesn't really matter where you get your pharm.D when you are applying for a job.

Luckily, my family started saving early, so we already have enough saved up for 6 years of an out-of-state college, however, my dad recommends I go to an in-state school (University of Buffalo, which has a top-20 pharmacy school), because whatever we don't spend of the college fund, I receive after I graduate. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

pharmgrad24,
Wow! Excellent info! Thank you very much.

Good to know you got your pharm.D in 6 years in Ohio, and you have a job in California. That will hopefully be similar to my scenario in the future (just swap California with Florida :) Also, what are the direct benefits of doing residency right after you graduate? As opposed to just going out and applying for a job right after you graduate. I am also glad to know that it doesn't really matter where you get your pharm.D when you are applying for a job.

Luckily, my family started saving early, so we already have enough saved up for 6 years of an out-of-state college, however, my dad recommends I go to an in-state school (University of Buffalo, which has a top-20 pharmacy school), because whatever we don't spend of the college fund, I receive after I graduate. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.
Must be nice to not have to worry about college debt, that makes life much easier trust me. Honestly a residency is only necessary if you want to do a "specialized" type of job. However, I know people who got a clinical/specialized pharmacist position right out of school without ever doing a residency. The benefits of working right after school is that you make the money! Lol seriously tho if you do a residency after you graduate you only make like 30-40k, and the job you get afterwards is still paid less than retail. It's worth it if that's in your career interest tho. Personally I didn't want to do one and never would. I work in retail and yes there is all the corporate bs and the stress of working with the public, but honestly I do about 30-40 consultations a day and it makes my day! Granted I'm only 4 months in so people will say this is still the "honey moon phase" but still. I truly feel I make a difference in people's lives. Hospital or academic pharmacists will say that retail pharmacists don't. That's FALSE! I did rotations in a clinical setting I personally find retail more rewarding and that "clinical" pharmacists are afraid of working with people. Just want to give you that tidbit because you will hear it throughout your academic career and find people are antiretail.

Personally go to the school where you get the most scholarships and think you will have a rewarding college experience overall. I would shy away from the newer schools only because I have heard managers say they are uncertain of the quality of education people get there and will hire someone from an "established" school over them. Word of advice about 50-65% of the pharmacist jobs in Florida require you to be bilingual in Spanish. Depends which part of Florida but from what I've seen in trying to get a job down there (mostly looking in Miami and Orlando was where I looked).

Must be nice to not have to worry about college debt, that makes life much easier trust me. Honestly a residency is only necessary if you want to do a "specialized" type of job. However, I know people who got a clinical/specialized pharmacist position right out of school without ever doing a residency. The benefits of working right after school is that you make the money! Lol seriously tho if you do a residency after you graduate you only make like 30-40k, and the job you get afterwards is still paid less than retail. It's worth it if that's in your career interest tho. Personally I didn't want to do one and never would. I work in retail and yes there is all the corporate bs and the stress of working with the public, but honestly I do about 30-40 consultations a day and it makes my day! Granted I'm only 4 months in so people will say this is still the "honey moon phase" but still. I truly feel I make a difference in people's lives. Hospital or academic pharmacists will say that retail pharmacists don't. That's FALSE! I did rotations in a clinical setting I personally find retail more rewarding and that "clinical" pharmacists are afraid of working with people. Just want to give you that tidbit because you will hear it throughout your academic career and find people are antiretail.

Personally go to the school where you get the most scholarships and think you will have a rewarding college experience overall. I would shy away from the newer schools only because I have heard managers say they are uncertain of the quality of education people get there and will hire someone from an "established" school over them. Word of advice about 50-65% of the pharmacist jobs in Florida require you to be bilingual in Spanish. Depends which part of Florida but from what I've seen in trying to get a job down there (mostly looking in Miami and Orlando was where I looked).
I agree. I plan on working in retail. From what I hear, the only con of working in retail is having to deal with the occasional psycho customer who loses their mind when they find out their insurance doesn't cover it. But from what I imagine, clinical/hospital pharmacy has far more cons, such as getting paid less, and having to deal with snobby doctors all day who think they are "above" you just because they went to 12 years of college. Retail seems much better. It also means I don't need to do a residency.

Oh, and I would like to thank my parents for forcing me to take French instead of Spanish! Lol. But thank you for the info regarding pharmacist jobs in Florida.

I agree. I plan on working in retail. From what I hear, the only con of working in retail is having to deal with the occasional psycho customer who loses their mind when they find out their insurance doesn't cover it. But from what I imagine, clinical/hospital pharmacy has far more cons, such as getting paid less, and having to deal with snobby doctors all day who think they are "above" you just because they went to 12 years of college. Retail seems much better. It also means I don't need to do a residency.

Oh, and I would like to thank my parents for forcing me to take French instead of Spanish! Lol. But thank you for the info regarding pharmacist jobs in Florida.

In school try to maybe get a minor in it or take a few classes then go over sees live there for a couple weeks to a month get fluent come back take the competency exam and boom you'll be "medically bilingual" or truly "bilingual". If you want to work retail word of advice as soon as you get your intern license get experience, get summer internships. It will take you further trust me. Also yes I deal with about 3-4 crazy customers a day but the good ones out weigh the bad, usually. Trust me I've been on the phone arguing with doctors and nurses before too. Jus pray you get a good store that's all I will say.

I don't think most doctors give pharmacists a hard time. In fact, in a lot of hospitals it's the opposite. Doctors aren't going to be as proficient in pharmaceutical minutia as a clinical pharmacist who loves their job. The doctor will ask those pharmacists for advice and will treat them with respect. Now if you have this me vs them mentality even in retail---good luck getting them to call you back with a refill authorization

In school try to maybe get a minor in it or take a few classes then go over sees live there for a couple weeks to a month get fluent come back take the competency exam and boom you'll be "medically bilingual" or truly "bilingual". If you want to work retail word of advice as soon as you get your intern license get experience, get summer internships. It will take you further trust me. Also yes I deal with about 3-4 crazy customers a day but the good ones out weigh the bad, usually. Trust me I've been on the phone arguing with doctors and nurses before too. Jus pray you get a good store that's all I will say.
Excellent idea, I never thought of going abroad for a while. When did you get your internship? I mean, which year in college did you start?

I don't think most doctors give pharmacists a hard time. In fact, in a lot of hospitals it's the opposite. Doctors aren't going to be as proficient in pharmaceutical minutia as a clinical pharmacist who loves their job. The doctor will ask those pharmacists for advice and will treat them with respect. Now if you have this me vs them mentality even in retail---good luck getting them to call you back with a refill authorization
I guess it was wrong for me to generalize. But I typically get along pretty well with people and I try to see the good in them before the bad, so I don't think this will be a problem.

Excellent idea, I never thought of going abroad for a while. When did you get your internship? I mean, which year in college did you start?
I interned the summer after my 3rd and 4th year. Most schools require you to do what's called IPPE hours during your professional years but I worked in retail 1 summer and then ambulatory care then following in addition. I always wanted to work retail hospitals kind of creep me out amongst other things. lol. At my school I got my intern license after my second year. When I did my clinical rotations I found the residents and doctors truly respected my knowledge. The only thing I found lacking was you spend all day talking to them not patients and when you are not with them you are on a computer all day. Retail can be the same if you are at a high volume store the good thing I like about CA is first fill counseling is mandated by law so I always have patient interaction.

OP, I have a better idea for you!

I am currently a senior in HS and I will most likely start pharmacy school next year. I am not talking about a 6 year program. I am talking about a the four year program that everyone does when they get accepted. Here is how I did it, I started college when sophomore year ended. I did it through a program called dual enrollment. Check to see if you HS offers it. Any questions feel free to PM me.

I interned the summer after my 3rd and 4th year. Most schools require you to do what's called IPPE hours during your professional years but I worked in retail 1 summer and then ambulatory care then following in addition. I always wanted to work retail hospitals kind of creep me out amongst other things. lol. At my school I got my intern license after my second year. When I did my clinical rotations I found the residents and doctors truly respected my knowledge. The only thing I found lacking was you spend all day talking to them not patients and when you are not with them you are on a computer all day. Retail can be the same if you are at a high volume store the good thing I like about CA is first fill counseling is mandated by law so I always have patient interaction.
Interesting... does this make your day a lot more busier? and, do you give your techs more responsibility?

I am currently a senior in HS and I will most likely start pharmacy school next year. I am not talking about a 6 year program. I am talking about a the four year program that everyone does when they get accepted. Here is how I did it, I started college when sophomore year ended. I did it through a program called dual enrollment. Check to see if you HS offers it. Any questions feel free to PM me.

So you took 2 semesters of organic chemistry while in high school?

Dual enrollment is the best deal ever. Totally free college credits. How do you beat that?
Exactly! I will have finished 64-68 credits with schools money.
So you took 2 semesters of organic chemistry while in high school?
I am taking my first semester of orgo right now. I will take the second one in the fall then I will be done.

Interesting... does this make your day a lot more busier? and, do you give your techs more responsibility?
Makes it busier and techs have more responsibility but it beats being simply a highly paid robot.

Wow, that does seem like a great deal. I will definitely look into that.

Recent Northeastern University grad here... Seems to be some misconception about our 0-6 model. The first two years you take standard gen ed-type courses (bio, chem, english, calculus, psych, etc.) and the credits are definitely transferable. I had a few classmates who switched to getting a BS in Chem or Bio. After sophomore year, you interview with the dean/professors to officially enter your 4 professional years. It's mostly for show and I haven't heard of anyone failing. Just standard "why do you want to be a pharmacist" type questions. We also have a great co-op programs which replaces IPPE rotations. By the end of 5th year I had completed three paid 4 month internships. I did 4 months inpatient pharmacy at a teaching hospital, 4 months retail pharmacy, and 4 months at an independent compounding pharmacy. Obviously biased but I would definitely recommend NEU. Job market in Boston is not great though, don't expect to stay and work here.

Recent Northeastern University grad here... Seems to be some misconception about our 0-6 model. The first two years you take standard gen ed-type courses (bio, chem, english, calculus, psych, etc.) and the credits are definitely transferable. I had a few classmates who switched to getting a BS in Chem or Bio. After sophomore year, you interview with the dean/professors to officially enter your 4 professional years. It's mostly for show and I haven't heard of anyone failing. Just standard "why do you want to be a pharmacist" type questions. We also have a great co-op programs which replaces IPPE rotations. By the end of 5th year I had completed three paid 4 month internships. I did 4 months inpatient pharmacy at a teaching hospital, 4 months retail pharmacy, and 4 months at an independent compounding pharmacy. Obviously biased but I would definitely recommend NEU. Job market in Boston is not great though, don't expect to stay and work here.
Thanks for your info. I am seriously considering NE, though the price tag is pretty high.

Yeah the price tag is definitely a turn off. I owe about 200k in loans after all is said and done. I see that you are also considering MCPHS. They only have one building that is literally the size of a high school. There is no "campus life" or anything to speak of. So if that's important to you, definitely avoid it. It was my main reason for choosing NEU despite the price difference.