Best and Worst comments on clinical evals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
dude, most of you are so pathetic. This thread reminds me of when I interview for things and someone asks you to name your worst characterstics/flaws-and everybody says stuff like-"I spend to much time overanalyzing" or " I am too much of a perfectionist" Like come on-most of you listed as your worst eval something completely not bad-such as the one loser who said there worst eval was saying he was the second best student and not the first. And most others-come on poeple either post a real bad one or dont bother posting just to boost your self worth.
Face it-the majority of us 3rd years have gotten ****ty evals at some point-face it you meet/work with probably a 75 people during third year, all of whom you have to try to impress/tolerate because you never quite know who has a say in your eval-You are NOT going to get along with everyone-hell I didnt get along with most.
My worst one something along the lines but not sure exact wording since I was reading this eval in the surgery directors department-"Recomend that the student fails-he had had a poor attitude, was argumentive and did not show up on weekends. He often left without telling anyone and was the worst medical student I have worked with in my 4 years" -fat ugly surgery resident-im not justifying it-i was all of the above cause i hated the rotation and hated her-but she was just oh so hideously ugly and so fat!

DUDE, you are an a**hole. If you dont like what people are saying, don't read it. And no, the majority of us probably haven't gotten the scathing evals that you have. You're clearly a *****, go into another field...

Members don't see this ad.

DUDE, you are an a**hole. If you dont like what people are saying, don't read it. And no, the majority of us probably haven't gotten the scathing evals that you have. You're clearly a *****, go into another field...

How can you know if you don't like what you're reading if you don't read it in the first place?

But yeah, he's the ***** . . .

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with you, but the guy was banned from this site a while ago...

Yes, he was...for (among other things) calling people names, like "a**hole," which is a violation of SDN's Terms of Service (TOS). Please don't follow in his footsteps. Thank you.

Worst so far: "Excellent rapport with patients, good knowledge level, pleasure to work with, slightly grating personality."

WTF? I just chalk it up to attending having a bad day.

Worst: "The patients at the XYZ are not typical pediatric patients and I think sometimes it can be difficult to know what to take away learning-wise from these patients. As such I think AlternateSome1 felt unsure about his role at the XYZ and perhaps that reflects more on the housestaff and the attending that we didn't elucidate his role sufficiently but in general I didn't feel like he enjoyed being at the XYZ."

Eval received after a two-week rotation in a physical rehab rotation. I would agree that I was bored stiff dealing with the 6 total patients on the unit when nothing ever happened and I had zero responsibility. Especially considering I just got done with a pretty fun/interactive medicine rotation. :)

Best ones:

Neurology: A wonderful and enjoyable experience to work with this future outstanding physician. I hope he comes back again!

Surgery: Very bright, intense in learning, reads, very solid clinical performance.

Worst ones:

Cardiology: Checked off satisfactory. The guy did not even bother to write in any comments.

OB/Gyn: Top Gun's fund of knowledge needs improvement.

I'm on peds right now, and the evaluations forms sent to faculty consist of 9 questions that can be answered with "consistently, usually, or seldom". If we get 75% or more in the 'consistently' category then we can honor the rotation (assuming our grades our high enough). But if we get less than 75% in the consistent category, then we don't honor, no matter how high our grades are.

So my problem with this is that people look at those words and assign different meanings. I mean, what person is honestly going to say that a third year medical student "consistently" shows proficiency in technical procedures (especially when it's your first time doing said procedure?)? Also, I'm not sure that our evaluators are informed that if they giving us all "usually's" means that they're hurting our chances of honoring. Personally I would think that "usually" is a pretty good score, especially for a third year student.

At any rate, that's my gripe.

Now, here's my 'worst' written evaluation (which really isn't bad, it's just obviously generic).

"Overall a good student for the first clinical rotation. Should work on increasing her fund of knowledge, as well as incorporating this into her assessments."

Best (Ironically OB/GYN): "Best student so far... would rank her very high if she for our program... hard working... excellent knowledge base..."

Not the greatest (ER): "interacted well with staff, appears to have average to above average knowledge base as compared to other med students"

Worst (SubI attending): "Somewhat shy, but interacts ok with everyone, can perform basic tasks with minimal assistance" --> TALK about a backhanded compliment! 'basic tasks...' doochbaggg...

Attending: "Superb young physician with excellent fund of knowlege and good technical skills. Would succeed in whatever specialty he chooses, i would hope it is Gen. Surgery"

Resident: "Good fund of knowledge. Atimes seemed to try too hard to impress senior staff as opposed to focusing on patient care. Easy to work with and showed great interest in general surgery"

Apparently, I have officially perfected the art of KISSING ASS:laugh:

Worst: OBGYN: "Obviously OBGYN is not a career choice."

Best: OBGYN: "Obviously OBGYN is not a career choice."

...and thus, my dreams of examining vaginas, and getting amniotic fluid on my face everyday were crushed...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
...and thus, my dreams of examining vaginas, and getting amniotic fluid on my face everyday were crushed...

Sounds like it will just have to be a hobby, then.

BEST (and only one so far as I'm just in my second rotation): "(Student) has a remarkable fund of knowledge and an ability to put together information and draw conclusions and insight. He reads a great deal. He is effective on the wards and works well with the team. A very bright individual."

From two different chief residents on OB Gyn:

BEST - "Always had a great attitude throughout the entire rotation and was a great team player. Always willing to help those around her. Extremely caring and establishes wonderful relationships with her patients."

This conflicts with ...

WORST - "Needs to show more interest and initiative in patient care." That doesn't sound good, no matter how you look at it. And no, I'm not interested in pathology.

"Shows up. Good Notes. Always available." (surgery attending who didn't like me)

My school puts quotes of positive comments into our Dean's letter. Some idiot thought that this was a good comment. I consider it negative by omission.

I got "Needs to read more" from the same attending - and the entire rotation, I never got a pimp question wrong. I did, however, correctly identify the long thoracic nerve as the nerve responsible for the "winged scapula"/serratus dysfunction, but was told by her that I was wrong, it is the thoracodorsal n. I wonder how much reading I have to do to learn stuff like that...

Wow. she's a *******. What was the response to that major mistake?

Goatroper, Its not over for you my freind....It only means that you may be more efficient at examining male genitalia....consider a career in Urology....radiology sucks anyways.:thumbup:

Ah, what the heck. I've had all good evaluations thus far luckily.

Best (Urology):
urologicsurgeryeval.jpg

The #4 was in reference to the "Osteopathic Principles" portion of the eval sheet. My MD attendings were like "What the heck is that there for?" :laugh: Still, could have knocked me over with a feather. I was humbled by this one.

Worst (OB/GYN): Thought I had the sheet but in the positive comments box it said: "No problems whatsoever. Didn't kill anyone." And that was it. He gave me an A. *shrug* :laugh: Also, had a "Continue reading more and expanding knowledge" on my first Inpatient IM rotation...though I probably deserved it since I didn't know jack back then.

I feel very fortunate for my 3rd year experiences thus far. It seems some of you have had some harrowing experiences during your 3rd year and my heart really goes out to you all. I don't know of any third year who doesn't at least try. 3rd year was literally a breath of fresh air for me, as it was the first time I felt like I was learning what I am aspiring to accomplish. For those of you who are in 3rd year, hang in there, 4th year is just plain awesome! (minus doing your ERAS of course) I've got audition rotations lined up and I'm not even nervous. I'm just going to go in there and do the best I can. If my best isn't good enough, well at least I gave it my best shot. That is the essence of 4th year, just putting your best foot forward without playing any games.

ROFL this was great! I felt the same way. Though, I'm going into urology (hopefully) so I can't say I completely hate the work. I'll leave catching kids to the OBs though. Let me deal with the bladder stuff..just please don't nick the ureters! Anyway, back to reading...got a research article to present....yay and stuff.

Worst backhanded compliment (by a resident I hardly knew at the END of my third year): "good fund of knowledge for a student just starting her 3rd year."

Too many AWESOME evals to post :hardy:, so I'll just post some of the bad ones

OB-GYN - Needs to work on integrating clinical anatomy with pathology

IM - Reads well. (WTF???? I watched Sesame Street as a kid...I know my ABC's although I do start getting confused around W)

Ortho Surgery - Will make a GREAT internist :). (Another backhanded compliment basically boiling down to "Whatever you do, don't hand this guy a scalpel")

Haha good stuff.

"Conscientious student who takes pride in administering to the sick."
-Surgery Chief Resident
(I think he was just trying to be funny, but I'll take it, certainly sounds good. He kept saying I was the best student on his service because I was the only student on his service at the time.)

"Seemed disinterested at times, but always had his work done."
-unknown OBGyn person

"Too quiet/timid etc."
-more than one rotation at the beginning of 3rd year
(This year they'll probably say I'm too cocky and a show off)

Odd eval: "Very compulsive and thoughtful. Will make very good house officer."

Is this a good or bad eval? or a backhanded type compliment?

"Too quiet/timid etc."
-more than one rotation at the beginning of 3rd year

Or in my case, I got the other end of the spectrum-"Sometimes comes across as too aggressive and egotistical. I can see where he would possibly have interpersonal conflicts with other students and for health care workers"
On Peds. :eek: Ouch.

She said this, yet I was the only one with her as an attending that got an A. Go figure.

Odd eval: "Very compulsive and thoughtful. Will make very good house officer."

Is this a good or bad eval? or a backhanded type compliment?

This is an excellent evaluation. Nothing backhanded about it.

Best: Student far exceeds the expectations of a junior medical student, with a superior fund of knowledge not expected from a 3rd year medical student (Internal Med)

Worst: The GI doc I worked with for ambulatory care was messing with me and wrote: Will make an excellent internist (knowing very well that I want to go into surgery):smuggrin:

This is an excellent evaluation. Nothing backhanded about it.

I thought "compulsive" had a fairly negative connotation (as in obsessive compulsive disorder)... that's why I was concerned about this eval.

I thought "compulsive" had a fairly negative connotation (as in obsessive compulsive disorder)... that's why I was concerned about this eval.

well, compulsiveness is good in medicine because we need to ponder and even obsess about little details that seems trivial to others. A compulsive person in medicine is generally someone who follows their patients very closely and won't let anything slip through the cracks in terms of patient care, and who also gives the right amount of detail and attention to presentations, assignments, etcs, an excellent eval

Worst: Needs to be more enthusiastic.

This was coming from a guy who reminded me of Ben Stein's character from "Ferris Bueller's Day Off." Also, two of the three times I worked with him he was sick with a URI and made it clear he didn't feel like talking/answering questions. Also, he would just walk away from me w/out saying something like "Let's go see this patient in 3." I would run to catch up with him some, but then realized once that I was following him to the bathroom, so I just started reading or charting when he would get up from then on.

Sadly, this was a rotation in a field I was strongly considering. Still waiting on a "Best" comment...

best: "[name] taught us more than we taught him." (family med)

worst: "Not naturally a warm and fuzzy person." (internal med)

questions. Also, he would just walk away from me w/out saying something like "Let's go see this patient in 3." I would run to catch up with him some, but then realized once that I was following him to the bathroom, so I just started reading or charting when he would get up from then on.

I did that once too in clinic, with a doc that just expected me to follow everywhere and never said two words to me. I think the nurses are still laughing.

Worst: "Frequently noted to be more assured about clinical information then he
ought to be. His approach to colleagues is one of slight superiority"

Unbelievable!

Best: "reliable, bright, hard working student who was well liked by
patients and staff. Brandon displayed nice rapport with patients"

BEST: " _______ does not function at the level of a 3rd year medical student, rather, he functions more like a 3rd year medical resident... one of the best students i have had in years." IM Attending.

Worst: " should refrain from performing on the spot internet searchs which led him to give differential dx that were all over the place..." different IM attending <---- this one wont go on my deans letter.:)

I knew that the long thoracic nerve is responsible for a winged scapula, and I'm just a personal trainer.

From the same attending:
Strengths: Assumed a leadership role on the team.
Weaknesses: Should continue to develop in leadership skills.

So what is it? A strength or a weakness.

Worst:

Student's "surfer accent" hinders his ability to be taken seriously.

General Surgery (first block):
"...Terpskins99 was a highly motivated, enthusiastic student who took initiative to acquire additional knowledge on his own. He was poised, professional and has excellent communication skills. He also learned surgical techniques with great facility. I encouraged him to consider surgery as a career option.
Assets: Good communication skills, matched by great cognitive and technical skills.
Areas needing improvement: None...
"

I got a chance to read this on my birthday and it really brought a smile to my face. :D:thumbup:

"Student is resistant to learning."

That was on an ortho surgery rotation... not sure if that's a slam or a compliment :D

BEST: Excellent student. Hard worker and highly motivated. Handled very tough patients well. Excellent presentations. A very pleasant person with whom to work. Would recommend him highly.
-Psychiatry, which is good because it's going to be either that or Path for me

WORST: Great improvement over the course of the month.
-Family Medicine. Really pisses me off because this attending's crappy evaluation unilaterally dropped me from honors to high pass. This comment isn't horrible, it's more her numerical rating that sucked. I really haven't had anyone explicitly say anything negative about me, so I guess I've been lucky.

Oh well, at least I haven't gotten any "Pass" grades yet in MS3.

BEST: Excellent student. Hard worker and highly motivated. Handled very tough patients well. Excellent presentations. A very pleasant person with whom to work. Would recommend him highly.
-Psychiatry, which is good because it's going to be either that or Path for me

WORST: Great improvement over the course of the month.
-Family Medicine. Really pisses me off because this attending's crappy evaluation unilaterally dropped me from honors to high pass. This comment isn't horrible, it's more her numerical rating that sucked. I really haven't had anyone explicitly say anything negative about me, so I guess I've been lucky.

Oh well, at least I haven't gotten any "Pass" grades yet in MS3.

:barf: god who talks about themselves like this - have some modesty...

To be fair, he may be at an institution like mine where "pass" is a shortened form of "Barely passed". I.E. There are about four levels of "superlative performances" (Excellent, High Honors, Honors, Advanced etc.) they put before pass (which is like getting a 60% on a test)

To be fair, he may be at an institution like mine where "pass" is a shortened form of "Barely passed". I.E. There are about four levels of "superlative performances" (Excellent, High Honors, Honors, Advanced etc.) they put before pass (which is like getting a 60% on a test)

What kind of crazy grade inflation is that?

That whole grade scheme - "Excellent, Advanced, Honors, High Honors" - reminds me of going towel shopping with my mom. "What do you like better - cream, beige, tan, or eggshell? Or how about royal purple, amethyst, eggplant, or violet?" Geez, what's the difference?

Reactions: 1 user
What kind of crazy grade inflation is that?

Oh yeah, it's pretty blatant. I mean, they put a description of our grading policy in the dean's letter, but I'm assuming a lot of PD's aren't going to take the time to realize that the person who got a "Superior" on this rotation did it by really only doing "Pass" level work at another school.

Oh yeah, it's pretty blatant. I mean, they put a description of our grading policy in the dean's letter, but I'm assuming a lot of PD's aren't going to take the time to realize that the person who got a "Superior" on this rotation did it by really only doing "Pass" level work at another school.

But also, how do the residents differentiate? It seems like it would be a very minor difference between, say, "excellent" and "advanced."

:barf: god who talks about themselves like this - have some modesty...

Hmm. Maybe people who actually manage to find the cervix by the end of their ob rotation? :smuggrin:

Oh and yes we have bad grade inflation so pass means that you pretty much scraped by.

But also, how do the residents differentiate? It seems like it would be a very minor difference between, say, "excellent" and "advanced."

The resident/attending form is actually pretty basic. It's a five point scale (Doesn't meet expectations, barely meets expectations, meets expectations, exceeds expectations, greatly exceeds expectations). The differentation between all the superlatives is done later based on how many points total you get.

my resident wrote "Above expected patient relationships, teamwork, and humanistic qualities."

and that was it. WTF. should i have that removed from my dean's letter? :mad: