Best board review?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My wife is a current intern in FM and i m applying to FM right now... We were just wondering what are the best materials for the FM boards? She has a rotation this month that allows her more time to study and we were wondering what the best books and/or question banks/books were?

Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

FM boards aren't until third year of residency. Interns can best prepare by being good interns and learning everything they can from the rotation that they are on. Residency itself is the preparation she needs at this stage.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly I think the most useful prep I've found so far is the old ABFM in-training exams posted on the ABFM website. You can print them, work through them together, then go through the answers and see what you missed and WHY. The explanations are really good overall. And free! I think you will need an ABFM resident login but she should have this if at an allo program (I have zero idea what osteo FM boards look like).

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't go too old on the ABFM ITEs, as some of the material is outdated or very easy. Hopefully in your wife's residency there is flow of old ITE's that has been passed down through the years, because the ABFM website only goes back to the last three.

Are there any review books or review courses to recommend? I feel like by the time I get to the boards, I will bomb it so hard without any supplement help....it's a while till I take it, but need to start doing prep early(sometime next year like May)...

I really like Core Content for actual material that will help with my practice, and I passed boards, so it must have been okay. I did not do any specific preparation for boards, just winged it as I had far more important stuff going on, and the material really didn't seem unreasonable. Core Contect is geared much more toward actually practicing medicine than just getting you to pass boards. I still read it regularly now. If you need help with the bare minimum to pass I'd suggest the AAFP FP Essentials. It's remedial but focused on only what you need to know to pass.

Really the best advice is to read regularly. Even if it's just an article per day. You want to do the best by your patients anyway, don't you?