Best Books for Incoming Interns?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psyxh1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The title says it all. I'm wondering what books are recommended and/or essential for PGY-1 Psychiatry residents. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There's some stuff I bought before my sub-I last year that I think will serve me well going forward: MGH Handbook (CL), Stahl Psychopharm (reference), Carlat Psychiatric Interview (if you haven't done psych recently, nice to refresh).

Interested to hear what else people think will be useful.

Reactions: 1 user
Whatever books, etc., you had from med school suffices for medicine.

Enjoy this brief time off before residency starts. Intern year, at times, is rough. Get lots of sleep when you can, and relax.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel, and it comes into view as you near the end of 2nd year - I should know, because I am there, and I have a spring in my step that I haven't had in a long, long time (probably since after getting accepted into med school, and that nice lull before med school started).

Oh, and immediately figure out the vacation thing, and schedule some time off asap (like before November). Your rotations will dictate it, and of courze their rules, but don't neglect it...

Members don't see this ad :)
this has been discussed ad nauseam - please do a search. i have posted my list of recommendations on other threads

Reactions: 1 users
Whatever you choose, as an intern, less is more. Trust me.
In brief- my favorites:
Medicine: MGH pocket medicine manual (whatever color it is now) and uptodate.
Neuro: Kaufman's and MGH pocket neuro manual (plus our neuro residents have their own version which is also good) plus uptodate
Intern year psych: Pocket DSM, Stahl's as reference (both prescribers guide and essential psychopharm), Fish's psychopathology (easy to read, well referenced book about psychopathology- Splik insists the older version is better); REVIEWS from PubMed (just to get familiar with unfamiliar topics)
In my program interns are required to read Kraepelin (both Dementia Praecox and Manic Depressive Insanity), which were actually the most clinically useful to me, but they are not the easiest to read, and our PD/APD went through the texts with us

Everything else I tried to read was worthless. After intern year it should mostly be papers (because medicine is all papers anyway)

Reactions: 2 users
Whatever you choose, as an intern, less is more. Trust me.
In brief- my favorites:
Medicine: MGH pocket medicine manual (whatever color it is now) and uptodate.
Neuro: Kaufman's and MGH pocket neuro manual (plus our neuro residents have their own version which is also good) plus uptodate
Intern year psych: Pocket DSM, Stahl's as reference (both prescribers guide and essential psychopharm), Fish's psychopathology (easy to read, well referenced book about psychopathology- Splik insists the older version is better); REVIEWS from PubMed (just to get familiar with unfamiliar topics)
In my program interns are required to read Kraepelin (both Dementia Praecox and Manic Depressive Insanity), which were actually the most clinically useful to me, but they are not the easiest to read, and our PD/APD went through the texts with us

Everything else I tried to read was worthless. After intern year it should mostly be papers (because medicine is all papers anyway)

Thanks for the recommendations so far. Is the DSM-V Pocket version the same as the desk reference? Is "Dementia Praecox and Paraphrenia" plus "Manic-Depressive Insanity and Paranoia" the full names for the Kraeplin books you mentioned? Do you not recommend getting Neuroscience of Clinical Psychiatry or Goodman and Guze's Psychiatric Diagnosis anymore?

Thanks for the recommendations so far. Is the DSM-V Pocket version the same as the desk reference? Is "Dementia Praecox and Paraphrenia" plus "Manic-Depressive Insanity and Paranoia" the full names for the Kraeplin books you mentioned? Do you not recommend getting Neuroscience of Clinical Psychiatry or Goodman and Guze's Psychiatric Diagnosis anymore?
Yes, the "Desk Reference" is the poorly descriptive name for the common pocket-sized purple book. The "big book" is just titled "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders"

Echo what OPD said about the DSM. Yes regarding Kraepelin. You can get them on Amazon- I think these versions were translated by someone from Edinburgh in the early 1900s. Psychiatry and Clinical Neuroscience is a good read if you have free time and are interested about learning basic neuroscience, but honestly I would just find a review on PubMed- much more efficient. Goodwin and Guze is a great read, but I would recommend it after intern year in your free time. Again, you don't have an infinite amount of time, so I really preach "less is more"

Thomas Szasz: The Myth of Mental Illness, Michel Foucault: Madness and Civilization. Both must reads for perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, the "Desk Reference" is the poorly descriptive name for the common pocket-sized purple book. The "big book" is just titled "Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders"

Ha! My patients who should be reading the actual [blue] Big Book instead are reading the [purple] big book and coming up with reasons why I need to treat things that they self diagnose out of the latter rather than beginning to take responsibility for themselves by reading the former!

Thomas Szasz: The Myth of Mental Illness, Michel Foucault: Madness and Civilization. Both must reads for perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Law, Liberty and Psychiatry is a much better read than the myth of mental illness, however - definitely Szasz's best book and a nice history/precis of the libertarian approach to psychiatry. also read The Divided Self and the Politics of Experience by R.D. Laing, and Asylums by Erving Goffman to complete the antipsychiatry quadrumvirate. However I wouldn't recommend these books for interns