Best books for step 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mumd2011

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best review book for Step 3? I hear a lot of different things and I have found that advice on here is really helpful. Thanks a lot in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

What a timely post. I was just about to start a thread on same as I will be giving Step 3 around June. I have googled quite a lot. And following seems to be the best resources in balance with prep time.

I will be using following strategy (Note - This may not apply to the Interns who have already got the residency. And I think these are must have if one is aiming as high a score on Step 3 as possible) -

1. Kaplan Step 3 Cases Notes (Consult Kaplan Step 2 CK Notes for topics you feel weak while going through these case notes) along with Kaplan Step 3 Cases Videos (One can skip videos if not enough time) followed by Kaplan Step 3 Q Book.

2. Master the Boards for Step 3 (very rapid and high yield review).

3. Then comes USMLE World Step 3 Q Bank (UWorld gives Qbank and CCS practice separately as mentioned in next point).

4. Then I will go through 23 hours of ********** Workshop Videos (Why Archer ? Because there is no other better source for studying for CCS part of Step 3; UWorld CCS is practice mainly along with learning from cases) followed by USMLE World CCS.

That is all.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional sources of preparation are (not needed after above in most cases; choose just one if you really wish) -

Master the Boards Step 2 (again very rapid and high yield review; not needed if already done for Step 2 exam)

Case Files for Internal Medicine (a very good book; really helps refine your approach to step 3 clinical questions and ccs cases)

USMLE Step 3 Triage (only if you need to strengthen your theory)

Even further down the line (for those who have like super extra time) may include following -

Medstudy Board Review of Internal Medicine Video Course

ACP Board Basics 2 Book

MKSAP 15 Questions (almost 1100 questions in CD-ROM)

There is no comprehensive thread on this topic. Guys please help making it a good discussion this time.

I request people to please share their advice on this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
What a timely post. I was just about to start a thread on same as I will be giving Step 3 around June. I have googled quite a lot. And following seems to be the best resources in balance with prep time.

I will be using following strategy (and I think these are must have) -

There is no comprehensive thread on this topic. Guys please help making it a good discussion this time.

I have also heard people mention Neeraj's notes for Step 3, anyone know where to find it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Holy ****! All that for Step 3?!?!?!

I know that it definitely looks too much. Actually it is.

Its just that I have extra time to give to it. Also I mentioned that I will be preparing for step 3 just after Step 2 CK. So almost 40 % comes under quick revision, not reading for hours.

For a person in Internship, surely he/she will have neither this much time, nor the need to do.

Also, I wanted to write about all the good resources available for Step 3.

One can select based on his/her comfort level and time.

Last edited:

I will be using following strategy (and I think these are must have) -

1. First I will rapidly (it will be a revision only after Step 2 Ck) go through Kaplan step 2 CK notes and 20 Comprehensive Cases by Conrad Fischer, followed by Kaplan Step 3 Cases Notes along with Kaplan Step 3 Cases Videos.

2. Then I will swiftly finish Kaplan Step 3 Q Book.

3. Now I will revise (it will be a revision only after Step 2 Ck) Master the boards for Step 2 and Step 3.

4. Then comes USMLE World Step 3 Q Bank.

5. Then I will go through 23 hours of ********** Workshop Videos.

6. Lastly I will do USMLE World CCS.

That is all.

Additional preparation, depending on time and desire, may include following -

Premier Review Step 3 CCS ($ 50 for 7 days)

Case Files for Internal Medicine

USMLE Step 3 Triage

Kaplan Internal Medicine Question Bank.

Even further down the line may include following -

Medstudy Board Review of Internal Medicine Video Course (along with its notes)

ACP Board Basics 2 Book

dont listen to this guy. just do the questions on usmleworld. thats all u need

dont listen to this guy. just do the questions on usmleworld. thats all u need

I think i have hurt sentiments of quite lot of people...i will just modify my original post.

i hope it suits to the general need of people now.

Just wanted to list all good sources. No wrong information intended.

Last edited:
I'm prepping for mine as well. Crush Step 3/COMBANK/Savarese. Not touching another book. Countless seniors have told me anything besides that is overkill.

I disagree. Crush Step 3 misses out on so many things. Its old as well (2008).

I disagree. Crush Step 3 misses out on so many things. Its old as well (2008).

Eh I've broken 600 on both COMSAE's so far and score substantially higher than whats needed to do well on the COMBANKS scoring system. I guess its test-taker dependent but it's working fine for me. It's also the same way I studied for Step 1 and 2 (FA/Savarese/COMBANK). Did fine on both fo them too. Maybe this method isn't what you want to get a 99 but I could care less about that, I just want my license.

Well, I started looking into the different resources out there, regarding Step 3 studying. I'll be using 2 review books + UWorld Qbank (if I have time, VERY doubtful, I'll go through Kaplan Qbook). My question is: it seems everyone agrees on one review book, say Kaplan MTB for instance, not being enough. Ok, fine. Then, which one should be added? I've read lots of poor reviews on FA, and I don't think I'll be using it. So, other than Master the Boards and UWorld, what else (i.e. review book) should I purchase?

Since it seems that you don't want to / don't have time to read Kaplan Notes (either Step 2 CK or Step 3) and want to do 2 reviews books (one you have already decided - MTB, which is damn good choice), I will say that USMLE Step 3 Triage is the best bet for you.

But I think best would be to use Step 2 CK Notes or Step 3 Notes + MTB for Step 3.

I agree on FA. It doesn't even stand in options for Step 3 (or even Step 2 CK for that matter). its quite surprising in face of FA for Step 1 which is like must have for Step 1.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanx! I do have Kaplan Step2CK notes, and I was thinking of using them in my areas of weakness (Peds & OB/GYN, since I'm starting my IM residency in July and I'm in the middle of my IM revision). I didn't mention that, because I didn't consider I'll be basing my study on the notes. My priority, given my limited time, will probably be to go over UWorld and the review books.

I will be using following strategy (Note - This may not apply to the Interns who have already got the residency. And I think these are must have if one is aiming as high a score on Step 3 as possible) -

1. Kaplan Step 3 Cases Notes (Consult Kaplan Step 2 CK Notes for topics you feel weak while going through these case notes) along with Kaplan Step 3 Cases Videos (One can skip videos if not enough time) followed by Kaplan Step 3 Q Book.

3. Then comes USMLE World Step 3 Q Bank (UWorld gives Qbank and CCS practice separately as mentioned in next point).

4. Then I will go through 23 hours of ********** Workshop Videos (Why Archer ? Because there is no other better source for studying for CCS part of Step 3; UWorld CCS is practice mainly along with learning from cases) followed by USMLE World CCS.

That is all.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional sources of preparation are (not needed after above in most cases; choose just one if you really wish) -

Master the Boards Step 2 (again very rapid and high yield review; not needed if already done for Step 2 exam)

Case Files for Internal Medicine (a very good book; really helps refine your approach to step 3 clinical questions and ccs cases)

Even further down the line (for those who have like super extra time) may include following -

ACP Board Basics 2 Book

Thank you cyneuron. I followed your advice and did the Archer 23 hour recorded CCS Workshops, I absolutely love it. In fact, I asked this question before as to what to take Archer Live workshop vs. 23 hour videos and did not get an answer. I took the ********** live workshop on April 30th , it was very useful, energetic and was until 11:30 PM in the night but quite draining as well. So, for people looking for the CCS to prepare slowly over a month rather than in a day, Archer 23 hour recorded CCS is the best.
Archer live workshop is a one day course and may be good for those who are ready for exam and want to go over the cases quickly a week before.

Having found the best course for the CCS, I am still searching for a best theory prep course. I read some pages of Kaplan notes but feel it is not well-made to address step 3 needs. I am doing UW questions now and Archer USMLE Step 3blog seem to have very good questions, also which I am doing. The quality of questions on Archer blog is excellent, so step 3 type , can I expect the same quality in their 36 hour Step 3 Theory review course? Have you taken their full Step 3 video lectures? If so, please advise.
I am hoping to complete my prep by June 15th.

Thank you cyneuron. I followed your advice and did the Archer 23 hour recorded CCS Workshops, I absolutely love it. In fact, I asked this question before as to what to take Archer Live workshop vs. 23 hour videos and did not get an answer. I took the ********** live workshop on April 30th , it was very useful, energetic and was until 11:30 PM in the night but quite draining as well. So, for people looking for the CCS to prepare slowly over a month rather than in a day, Archer 23 hour recorded CCS is the best.
Archer live workshop is a one day course and may be good for those who are ready for exam and want to go over the cases quickly a week before.

Having found the best course for the CCS, I am still searching for a best theory prep course. I read some pages of Kaplan notes but feel it is not well-made to address step 3 needs. I am doing UW questions now and Archer USMLE Step 3blog seem to have very good questions, also which I am doing. The quality of questions on Archer blog is excellent, so step 3 type , can I expect the same quality in their 36 hour Step 3 Theory review course? Have you taken their full Step 3 video lectures? If so, please advise.

I will say that you don't use any videos for theory unless you have been really away from studies for long time or you feel the need at your gut level. If yes, then just go for it....Even in 2 hr a day, you will be able to finish it in 18 days...

If not, then just read Kaplan Step 2 CK Notes comprehensively, and review Kaplan Step 3 Notes swiftly.

Could you please elaborate more on ********** Workshop experience ? Will be helpful for other people.

Don't know about Archer 36 hrs review course...Actually i think i missed it while searching. Will see it as option.

Regarding Kaplan material for Step 3, be it CK or 3 Notes, I kinda agree with you, but then, there is no better alternative for now.

I am still searching for a best theory prep course. I read some pages of Kaplan notes but feel it is not well-made to address step 3 needs. I am doing UW questions now and Archer USMLE Step 3blog seem to have very good questions, also which I am doing. The quality of questions on Archer blog is excellent, so step 3 type , can I expect the same quality in their 36 hour Step 3 Theory review course? Have you taken their full Step 3 video lectures? If so, please advise.

Why don't you download their free Nephrology video and then decide ?

Archer Nephrology Rapid Review Free Video

For new grads (graduated last week) planning on taking Step 3 in June, how long should we really study? I am told that USMLE World and ONE book like Step Up or Crush are all that you need. I hadn't planned on studying for more than 2-3 weeks.
Any ideas? Thanks

Don't know about Archer 36 hrs review course...Actually i think i missed it while searching. Will see it as option.

Regarding Kaplan material for Step 3, be it CK or 3 Notes, I kinda agree with you, but then, there is no better alternative for now.

I just completed my exam last week. I think I killed a patient in one CCS case but rest of the CCS cases improved and I had this "feel good" factor with most of the cases and mcqs. Hoping to pass.

I ended up doing Archer 36 hour video lectures along with their power-point notes for my theory preparation. These are highly useful if you are not yet in residency and would like to know how Step 3 questions are asked , some of the archer lectures hit the concepts right on target. This exam is nothing like Step 2ck so, prepare , prepare well. After completing archer lectures, I repeated UW questions and free blog questions from Archer question bank. My average was around 70% ( it could because I was doing them for second time but my understanding of the question much improved) . My NBME score stood at 460 a week before my exam and that is when I decided to go for it.

You could follow the strategy below which I think helped me the most
1. Do Archer 36 hour video lectures along with notes
2. Do UW questions. If you have time, repeat them , repeat at least the questions that you wrongly answered previously.
3. Do Archer blog questions, these are very common qs that you will see on the exam.
4. ********** workshop and then, self practice CCS cases on the orientation software .
5. Take NBME self assessment
6. GO for IT!

talk about timing. I have started to study for this exam. Plan to read Kaplan MTB, do COMBANK, and debating about an online course. Anyone know of any samples questions we can take to get an idea?

Anyone do COMBANK and/or COMQUEST and decide which is better?

I think for the majority of people taking step 3, they're already in residency training, with huge constraints on prep time... so really it depends on where u stand as far as the amount of prep time is concerned.

I did the following:
Review book - Conrad's Master the Boards (or MTB as it's referred to here).
Reference - Whatever thick book u have from med school will work fine
Q-Bank - usmleworld**
CCS: the demo CD/usmleconsult

Just do lots of questions, and look up concepts/subjects in books as needed. Less is more here, and I doubt anyone can really handle 3 review books/reference book, unless u like the feeling of thumbing through 1000s of pages.

As far as CCS is concerned, be familiar with the format of the program, putting in orders, shuffling patients around and scheduling followups/counseling. Whichever u decide to do should be fine, just be consistent about it and be familiar with the format. U really need to shift mental gears coming out of 12 blocks of MCQs.

** Any q-bank should suffice, for that matter I don't think there's a huge difference between kaplan/usmleworld/usmleconsult/(insert question bank here). I would advise people to cough up the $$ for any qbank, instead of doing the shady pirated qbank thing.

Good luck to everyone preparing for this exam.

Mods, this dude looks way too much like an "Archer" spammer (similar to the DIT spam that was going on in the Step II forum).

Why don't you download their free Nephrology video and then decide ?

Archer Nephrology Rapid Review Free Video

cyneuron, I can not thank you enough for this video. I have always avoided Acid-base disorders because I could never figure out the essence of it. I am so captured by this concise video, its simplicity and accuracy in explaining the entire topic in such a short time. Hats off to the teaching skills of this lecturer. Do you have more of these links?

If you're in residency, you don't have time to read or review all that crap... I picked a light month, read some of FA for Step 3, did as many USMLEWorld qbank questions that I could and took it. I passed easily. I didn't score as high as I did on step 1 or 2 but I wasn't trying to either as I just needed to pass in this case.

Remember... over 95% of 1st time test takers pass these things...even though you walk out feeling like you failed it.

If you're in residency, you don't have time to read or review all that crap... I picked a light month, read some of FA for Step 3, did as many USMLEWorld qbank questions that I could and took it. I passed easily. I didn't score as high as I did on step 1 or 2 but I wasn't trying to either as I just needed to pass in this case.

Remember... over 95% of 1st time test takers pass these things...even though you walk out feeling like you failed it.

If you are in Internal Medicine residency, it might be easy for you but not for others. I have already taken this exam once and failed by 4 points. First aid and usmleworld are very inadequate for this exam as I felt these have not covered 90% of what is asked on the exam. I have done the usmleworld qbank three times in view of high recommendations for this course but I was so lost on the exam. UsmleWorld does not address 75% of the topics that are tested and does not focus on outpatient topics.
May be I should do Kaplan qbank and probably, include a course that explains the fundamental concepts in outpatient medicine.

If you are in Internal Medicine residency, it might be easy for you but not for others. I have already taken this exam once and failed by 4 points. First aid and usmleworld are very inadequate for this exam as I felt these have not covered 90% of what is asked on the exam. I have done the usmleworld qbank three times in view of high recommendations for this course but I was so lost on the exam. UsmleWorld does not address 75% of the topics that are tested and does not focus on outpatient topics.
May be I should do Kaplan qbank and probably, include a course that explains the fundamental concepts in outpatient medicine.

What do you mean "outpatient topics"?
The topics are exactly the same: cardiology, nephrology, pulmonology, etc.
The same principles should theoretically apply.

correct! uworld is over 75% outpt!!!!!!!

outpatient or office topics refer to simple tasks in common complaints that are seen in a family physician's office. They are severely deficient in UW.
Take pulmonary for example; sinusitis, pharyngitis, rhinitis, otitis media, common OP pneumonias are outpatient topics.
These are highly important on the exam ( I already took this exam after doing UW twice and failed). Kaplan Qbank covers them more than UW and recently, I started Archer review and it has most of its lectures focused on outpatient topics.

UW q bank does address some OP topics but to a large extent, it goes after exotic stuff such as "LP in cryptococcal meningitis", "pentamidine induced hypoglycemia"...these are just some examples. No one asks these questions on USMLE Step 3 . These questions in UW are at sub-specialty level and are not at Family physician level.

outpatient or office topics refer to simple tasks in common complaints that are seen in a family physician's office. They are severely deficient in UW.
Take pulmonary for example; sinusitis, pharyngitis, rhinitis, otitis media, common OP pneumonias are outpatient topics.
These are highly important on the exam ( I already took this exam after doing UW twice and failed). Kaplan Qbank covers them more than UW and recently, I started Archer review and it has most of its lectures focused on outpatient topics.

UW q bank does address some OP topics but to a large extent, it goes after exotic stuff such as "LP in cryptococcal meningitis", "pentamidine induced hypoglycemia"...these are just some examples. No one asks these questions on USMLE Step 3 . These questions in UW are at sub-specialty level and are not at Family physician level.

lp in crypto meningitis and pentamidine induced hypoglycemia are inpatient questions

Thank you. Very useful and honest post.

That is all.

ACP Board Basics 2 Book

That is all.

ACP Board Basics 2 Book

Thank you. Very informative and honest guidance.

That is all.

ACP Board Basics 2 Book

Good post pal ! I have to start my prep soon and will follow your guidance ...any other Q banks beside Kaplan, UW that you did?

Bumping for updated recommendations.

I'd like to have one book to annotate in addition to the QBank. My Step 2CK background is not very strong, so I was wondering if I needed to use a Step2 review book in addition to a Step 3 book.

Bumping for updated recommendations.

I'd like to have one book to annotate in addition to the QBank. My Step 2CK background is not very strong, so I was wondering if I needed to use a Step2 review book in addition to a Step 3 book.

Bump

Book recommendations and other thoughts on how to study for Step 3 can be found here.

I just completed my exam last week. I think I killed a patient in one CCS case but rest of the CCS cases improved and I had this "feel good" factor with most of the cases and mcqs. Hoping to pass.

I ended up doing Archer 36 hour video lectures along with their power-point notes for my theory preparation. These are highly useful if you are not yet in residency and would like to know how Step 3 questions are asked , some of the archer lectures hit the concepts right on target. This exam is nothing like Step 2ck so, prepare , prepare well. After completing archer lectures, I repeated UW questions and free blog questions from Archer question bank. My average was around 70% ( it could because I was doing them for second time but my understanding of the question much improved) . My NBME score stood at 460 a week before my exam and that is when I decided to go for it.

You could follow the strategy below which I think helped me the most
1. Do Archer 36 hour video lectures along with notes
2. Do UW questions. If you have time, repeat them , repeat at least the questions that you wrongly answered previously.
3. Do Archer blog questions, these are very common qs that you will see on the exam.
4. ********** workshop and then, self practice CCS cases on the orientation software .
5. Take NBME self assessment
6. GO for IT!

just began Step 3 prep. I am following similar approach as listed above. For those who did Archer review , did you do it before UW Qbank or after?
I watched archer cardiology , it gives good concept . After that I selected cardiology qs from UW Qbank and then did all of them...averaged 80%. Does this apply to all topics in Archer ? If every topic in Archer is as good as cardiology, I feel it may be better way to do UW Q bank after watching the lectures. Any thoughts??? Thanks ..