Best books of PT techniques?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maxplanck

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What, in your opinion, are the best books covering the techniques used by PTs?

If not books, then which websites, handouts, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, tough question to answer as this really depends on each PT. There are so many techniques out there...You will have to be more specific.

I would think that due to evidence based practice, there would be a set of techniques which have been demonstrated to be effective via scientific study, perhaps a large set but a clearly defined set nonetheless, no?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya I would hope for that too but also keep in my mind that there are different things that work for different people. If you google "best practice" and your specific subject matter...eg Physical Therapy Best practice for COPD management etc. you will find a variety of different tools. One of the ways that our profession needs to improve in, is exactly that, organizing our knowledge and best practices and disseminating this to other health professions, so that people realize what our value is.

PNF, NDT, McKenzie, Maitland, Mulligan, etc. are all common manual therapy techniques usually taught in the PT curriculum.

Of course, those are all "manual" techniques which is only a component of all the "techniques" utilized.

Best practice is different for each subset of patients (neuro, ortho, peds, cardiac, sports) which all generally require different techniques.

I don't have any books that has everything, but if you find one, let me know!