Best books to prepare for 3rd year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrJSweets

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school starts rotations much later than most schools, so I'll have all of August to get ready for my 1st one in September.

So with one month to go, what are the best books to read before starting the 3rd year? My goal is to not be too surprised or overwhelmed by anything and also to be knowledgable about the field I'm rotating in. My school teaches in sections focusing on organ systems, and my 2nd year I read the correlating section in First Aid for Step 1 before each section, and it helped me immensely. I'd like to do the same for 3rd year rotations.

Books on what to expect would be great. Books on how to make the most of your rotation, how to make the best impression on your doctors, etc. Anything.

Also, what are the best books to study for shelf exams? Do you need a field specific book for each one, or are general books i.e. First Aid sufficient?

I appreciate anything you can tell me. Thanks.

Jake

Members don't see this ad.

I had an extra month off for medical leave and I read "250 Biggest Mistakes that 3rd Year Medical Students Make" and it really gave me a decent idea of what's expected of me. I'm sure the learning curve will still be steep but at least I have a basic idea of what I'll be doing every day and what I can do to muddle my way through it best lol. I also looked at the intro chapters in first aid for the wards.

Thanks, Psipsina. I bought the 250 biggest mistakes book off bn.com yesterday and I've read most of the FA for Wards intro chapter. I just want to be prepared and not surprised by too much. I think I'm lucky in that I'm starting my rotations at a clinic doing family practice, so it won't be too intense and I can ease into my third year. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out!

Jake

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, Psipsina. I bought the 250 biggest mistakes book off bn.com yesterday and I've read most of the FA for Wards intro chapter. I just want to be prepared and not surprised by too much. I think I'm lucky in that I'm starting my rotations at a clinic doing family practice, so it won't be too intense and I can ease into my third year. I appreciate you taking the time to help me out!

Jake

Does FA for the wards has overlapping information with FA clerkships, like Peds, like tips and things to expect?

As far as expectations, each rotation is different. Reading a book is OK, but nothing beats actually getting advice from students who have just completed that specific rotation at your school. So instead of searching for more books, I would recommend setting an appointment with an upperclassmen to get the scoop -- the good, bad, and the ugly. Also, if you can, talk to an attending and ask him or her what they usually expect from their medical students... and what differentiates an average student from an "honor" student. Target an attending that you will not me working with, if at all possible to get a more honest and personal answer.

As far as books are concerned:
The "250 biggest etc." ; "How to be a truly excellent junior medical student" and First Aid for the Wards are all god.
Unfortunately many of these books give very general advice, whereas what you really need is specific advice from people who have recently gone through the process.

Jake

not to start a war or scare you more or anything but while starting with an outpatient rotation can be relaxing, it can be stressful too b/c (1) it requires skills that you gain after many rotations (to think really well on your feet, present patients a few seconds after seeing them, and focusing your history and physical in a short time frame) (2) it really is not much IMO like the other rotations you'll do 3rd year ...especially inpatient. After talking to friends, I realize this more and more. It's another type of battlefield. So, perhaps rather than prepping for 3rd year as a whole, i'd focus on outpatient prep : read the ambulatory section in step up to medicine and go over physical exam skills and techniques (i used swartz...some use bates). and try not to lose that step 1 knowledge...it's hard.

Case Files for each core rotation helped me. I agree that asking students who were on that service will prepare you best for what to expect.

just like the op, I am also about to start my rotations soon and needed some advice with books. I thought using first aid during my second year was very helpful...wish I had started using it earlier in ms1 also. But anyways, I was reading different threads abt books to get for usmle step 2 just so that I can briefly read them throughout rotations and I came up with the following list.
boards and wards
usmle step 2 secrets
usmle step 2 crush
first aid ck

I already have specific books for every rotations like step up for medicine, surgery recall for surgery etc etc But I want to limit my resources to the best that is out there. So out of the 4 books that I have listed above which books do you guys think are a must have for clinical rotations and step 2 of course. thanks

bump bump bumpp

Do any new 3rd years have any advice on what they whould've done with a few weeks before their rotations started? Thanks!

bump bump bumpp

Do any new 3rd years have any advice on what they whould've done with a few weeks before their rotations started? Thanks!

I think it really depends on which rotation you will be starting first. If it is medicine, then case files for medicine is a great way to get you familiar with the basic work up for things like Chest pain, CHF, HTN, DKA, abdominal pain or any of those bread and butter cases you will see all the time. I would recommend reviewing how to take a decent history and case files will help you with that. Other than casual reading, I would just relax and enjoy the time off.