best brand of opthalmoscope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

physicslover

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
trying to decide between a keeler/heine and a welch allyn kit. I like the look of the welch allyn and feel of it, i think its easier to get my hands around. but ppl are saying the optics of the keeler is much better. Also, I'm in the UK, how can I purchase instruments for student prices in the U.S/Canada? thanks :D

Members don't see this ad.

The best direct ophthalmoscope is the cheapest one.

I'd tend to agree here. For what you'll be doing in school, any of them will do just fine. The optics of Keeler and Heine models are, in my opinion, superior to Welch for both directs and indirects. The Welch units seem to have more glare than the others. It won't make any difference most likely since you'll get used to whatever you end up buying.

.....Just don't buy a Propper.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The best one is the cheapest one.

After you learn indirect, the ophthalmoscope is only good for looking for lenses you've dropped on the floor. :scared:

The best one is the cheapest one.

After you learn indirect, the ophthalmoscope is only good for looking for lenses you've dropped on the floor. :scared:

Yes, once you learn how to do a high plus lens exam behind the slit lamp and BIO your direct will not get used very much comparatively. I use my direct to:
1. Check pupils
2. Pediatric applications: alignment and fixation testing
3. Ocular health exams on rotund folks who can't fit behind the slit lamp
4. Looking for lenses I've dropped under the exam chair

I also wouldn't get a Propper direct or retinoscope

thanks...will keep that in mind.. does anyone how i can purchase the oph in NA?

I love my Heine, Keeler is nice too, but Heine just looks so much better and they include a desk charger that lights up. I agree with the other poster go with either Heine or Keeler depending on your budget, but you won't regret getting Heine!

One more note, keeler may fit comfortably next to your eye socket because of the rounded top, but they have a weird lens battery, the lens go up and down 9 diopters, to get to 10 and 20 you have to click in a second lens of +/-10 or 20 lens and then click in the +/- 1 to 9 lenses. I haven't had to go to those extreme diopters, but Heine's is so much more convenient, all in one lens battery going from -36 diopter to +38 diopters. I like the build and the handle better on the Heine vs Keeler. Ultimately, you'll get used to whatever you get so it doesn't matter too much. However, I like my Heine and I would recommend it. You should get it with the Retinoscope and Transiluminator, the entire package with 2 rechargable handles are a great deal for students. Also the desk charger comes with adapters that have prongs that will fit in power outlets in other countries, convenient if you're looking to do mission work overseas. My heine kit also came with an adapter that allows me to plug the handle directly into an outlet for charging away from my desk, but I haven't had to recharge my unit that way yet.

I agree on this!!!

once you learn indirect and biomicroscopy, direct will be used much much less

Yes, once you learn how to do a high plus lens exam behind the slit lamp and BIO your direct will not get used very much comparatively. I use my direct to:
1. Check pupils
2. Pediatric applications: alignment and fixation testing
3. Ocular health exams on rotund folks who can't fit behind the slit lamp
4. Looking for lenses I've dropped under the exam chair

oh my, that's hilarious!!!!!