Best Car to get through Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lucybug

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a budget of about $17,000 to spend on a used or new car and was interested in opinions about which would be a reliable car to get me through medical school and residency. Any suggestions. I currently drive a Honda Accord 1996, and have been saving for a while now. I also live in a warm climate so snow will not be an issue.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say a mid-nineties Honda or Toyota would be a good choice.

So....why do you want to replace what you've got? What exactly are you looking for either? A few pointers - don't buy a new car. It's much more worthwhile to buy a car that's at least 1-2 years old, so that someone else took the depreciation hit for you. Secondly, the fewer automatic functions it has, the fewer automatic functions that can break. I just dropped $600 on my Acura to fix the climate control. Ouch. Generally speaking, a Honda/Nissan/Toyota is probably your best bet, because they're usually the most reliable.

So....why do you want to replace what you've got? What exactly are you looking for either? A few pointers - don't buy a new car. It's much more worthwhile to buy a car that's at least 1-2 years old, so that someone else took the depreciation hit for you. Secondly, the fewer automatic functions it has, the fewer automatic functions that can break. I just dropped $600 on my Acura to fix the climate control. Ouch. Generally speaking, a Honda/Nissan/Toyota is probably your best bet, because they're usually the most reliable.

I agree. I can't elaborate any more than what's been said. A Honda/Toyota will last you well through med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Used BMW 3-series. If you know some basic repair skills, they're excellent. Mine has 181,000 on it, of which I've put on the last 50K, with no major repairs. I paid $3500 for it, and would do so again in a second.

Agree 100%- Japanese mid-sized sedans are the way to go. (proud civic owner myself)
My only issue with buying a used 1-2 year old car is the reason behind selling it in the first place. When it comes to luxury cars, I wouldn't question the motives for someone to sell a 1-3 year old car, as luxury car owners generally have the need to drive the "latest and best." With an accord or a camry however, I would seriously question the motive for getting rid of it after such a short amount of time. Unless you personally know what the car has been through, or are buying it from someone you really trust, go with a new model. It's a small price to pay for some peace of mind, and very well might save you money in the long run. Btw what's wrong with a '96 accord anyway??

First, I would get a used car no older than 2000 for safety and durability reasons.

Second, stay away from used toyota or hondas, since they have low depreciation so you aren't getting a good deal, and since 2000, they aren't more reliable than most other Japanese or American cars. When getting used cars, you want a car that depreciates a lot but has a decent to good reliability rating. Just stay away from VWs, Mercedes, and Land Rovers.

Wagons or suvs are good if you think you'd be moving stuff around. Some good affordable wagons are the Toyota Matrix/Pontiab Vibe and Chevy HHR. The new Nissan Altima sedan are nice but are more than 17k.

up13.jpg

If you have 17,000 dollars, why would you get a used car? Buy a new Honda Civic or Nissan Sentra (I'd pick the Sentra from personal experience). You can get these for like 14,000 and if you take care of it well it can last you the next 10 years. When I'm in medical school I plan to buy a new car and have it last me basically throughout medical school and most of residency. Oh and try to buy remaining new 2007 models when 2008 models come out, or whatever; you'll save that way.

The common knowledge is to get the car that is a year or two old, but I have to agree with scrubswannabe. If you want it to last you for at least 7 years, I would suggest that you go and get a very reliable car for the money. The depreciation hit people typically talk about is less pronounced with a lower priced, reliable car. A $15,000 car isn't going to lose $5,000 when you drive it off the lot, whereas a $30,000 car will. Also, in the long run you will save money on repairs if you get the new car. That 25,000 to 50,000 miles that you get with an old car (and unknown possible abuse) could result in repairs you can't afford down the road.

Finally, I would suggest you try and get a car that is clearly seen as an economy car by your insurance company. Perhaps you could even contact them to get a list? An economy car will result in a much lower insurance premium. That would save you additional thousands over the long haul.

I would suggest you keep the Honda you have unless it is having issues. Honda's are great for high mileage. If you do want to buy another one, I would recommend another Honda, maybe early 2000 model which you could probably pick up for about $10,000 (I'm not really familiar so this might be a little high/low). That way you could use the rest of the money for things you need while your in med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
how about a new american car?
i actually know nothing about cars, but logically speaking wouldn't a new car be safer than an older one?
advice?

My only issue with buying a used 1-2 year old car is the reason behind selling it in the first place. When it comes to luxury cars, I wouldn't question the motives for someone to sell a 1-3 year old car, as luxury car owners generally have the need to drive the "latest and best."
A lot of vehicles that have only been used for two years have been leased, and then the owner decided not to buy out the lease at the end. Granted, this is less likely with an economy car.

First, I would get a used car no older than 2000 for safety and durability reasons.
There are lots of safe older cars. The most significant factor in how safe a vehicle is who is driving it. If you have airbags and seatbelts, what other safety features are a "must have"?

My only issue with buying a used 1-2 year old car is the reason behind selling it in the first place. When it comes to luxury cars, I wouldn't question the motives for someone to sell a 1-3 year old car, as luxury car owners generally have the need to drive the "latest and best." With an accord or a camry however, I would seriously question the motive for getting rid of it after such a short amount of time.

my economics professor won the nobel prize in 2001 for this very idea.

There are lots of safe older cars. The most significant factor in how safe a vehicle is who is driving it. If you have airbags and seatbelts, what other safety features are a "must have"?

Side airbags. I suspect it's pretty hard to find a '90s car with those. It's actually hard to find an economy new car with them.

Side airbags. I suspect it's pretty hard to find a '90s car with those. It's actually hard to find an economy new car with them.

I would not worry about this friend. My old chap through preparatory school died from a car collision. The chap was wearing side collision airbags in his vehicle. Discounting other factors, this fellow seems like a very unimportant figure, and I woulder if the expense of this feature could be justified.

How many miles does your current car have on it? Honda's can go well into the 200's. I would use the current car for med school at least, and then maybe get a 2000 something car for residency. During Med school you won't be going anywhere anyways, so save the money for what you need, and then during your residency when you're earning a little cash go and get a nice used car. Then once you're done with Residency and you're a top doc go and get your Beamer or benz. ;)

I've been thinking about a Kia because of their high depreciation and relative reliability... anyone know if this is a good idea?

Agree 100%- Japanese mid-sized sedans are the way to go. (proud civic owner myself)
My only issue with buying a used 1-2 year old car is the reason behind selling it in the first place. When it comes to luxury cars, I wouldn't question the motives for someone to sell a 1-3 year old car, as luxury car owners generally have the need to drive the "latest and best." With an accord or a camry however, I would seriously question the motive for getting rid of it after such a short amount of time. Unless you personally know what the car has been through, or are buying it from someone you really trust, go with a new model. It's a small price to pay for some peace of mind, and very well might save you money in the long run. Btw what's wrong with a '96 accord anyway??

civics are too dang small...I live everyday just to beaugaurd them off the road with my big A$$ SUV.

Hey guys,

I have a budget of about $17,000 to spend on a used or new car and was interested in opinions about which would be a reliable car to get me through medical school and residency. Any suggestions. I currently drive a Honda Accord 1996, and have been saving for a while now. I also live in a warm climate so snow will not be an issue.

Get a certified pre-owned car...don't mess around with any regular old used hooptie

Get a beater, or just keep that you have now. You wont even be able to enjoy the car or work on it if your a car enthusiast. Save your 17K for after you graduate.

My advice, check out a luxury car used lot. I bought my Accord 2 years ago from a Mercedes dealership. The car was in great shape, 2 years old and immaculate. The owner wanted to trade up which is why they got rid of it within the first 2 years (so I wasn't that concerned about the fact that they got rid of it so quickly). I got the Carfax on it, of course, to check out the maintenance.

The dealership, being Mercedes, had it marked to go... a good 3-4K lower than what it was worth. I got them to knock off another grand and got it for 18K. :thumbup: Check it out, see what you come up with. Good luck!

My advice, check out a luxury car used lot. I bought my Accord 2 years ago from a Mercedes dealership. The car was in great shape, 2 years old and immaculate. The owner wanted to trade up which is why they got rid of it within the first 2 years (so I wasn't that concerned about the fact that they got rid of it so quickly). I got the Carfax on it, of course, to check out the maintenance.

The dealership, being Mercedes, had it marked to go... a good 3-4K lower than what it was worth. I got them to knock off another grand and got it for 18K. :thumbup: Check it out, see what you come up with. Good luck!

and now your car is getting ready to fall apart!!!

and now your car is getting ready to fall apart!!!

Please... It's an Accord, they last well into the 200K mileage range. My last car was an Accord, had over 150,000 miles on it, virtually NO maintenance. The ONLY reason I dont still have that one was b/c some drunk idiot hit and totaled it.

cant go wrong with honda.

im looking at replacing my civic that i've had for 5 years with an s2000

they can be found for around 18k with like 30k miles on them. less theft prone than civics, and you get to put the top down in nice weather. :thumbup:

the only thing im worried about is what im gonna do in snow...i figure ill invest in a set of extra wheels with snow tires on them. of course if there is more than 4 inches on the road im outta luck...but i dont think anyone would be out moving with that much snow on the road.

"There are lots of safe older cars. The most significant factor in how safe a vehicle is who is driving it. If you have airbags and seatbelts, what other safety features are a "must have"?"

That is wrong. Standards are a lot higher now with now standard or mandated features that didn't exist back then such as vehicle skid control, side and head curtain airbags, better crumple zones, airbags that adjust to the weight of the passengers...

Anyway, get a 1-5 yr old used car. If you have a family though and want something with some size and safety, I like the outgoing Accord (not the new one) or the 2008 Chevy Malibu.

Anyway, get a 1-5 yr old used car. If you have a family though and want something with some size and safety, I like the outgoing Accord (not the new one) or the 2008 Chevy Malibu.

Or the Pontiac G6 which is a sporty yet roomy sedan that is cheaper than the Malibu and doesn't look as cheap inside (chevy likes to use cheap plastic paneling).

did i mention that's what i drive? i bought it a year ago and am 100% satisfied. with my GM family discount and end of year savings, i got it for around the price that the OP is looking for.

My dad got me a Lexus SC08 when I got accepted to med school and I love it so much:love:

Anyway, get a 1-5 yr old used car.

This is a good suggestion. Generally i would trust anything newer than 1996 that has OBDII and not first gen airbags.

If you can swing something like an 03+ car with a seven year warranty that would be a huge help that way you're covered til 2010 or so.

On a side note:

As far as family sedans go...blehhhh you're young now live a little. if you get married and have kids youll have decades for driving those sorts of cars. Live now get something sporty. It'll put a smile on your face after those long shifts in the hospital.

Also i dont know about everyone's insurance company but its cheaper for me to insure myself on an '03 s2000 than it is on a newer accord...go figure. Plus with a two seater I'll have an excuse for not hauling people around :laugh:

THE BACK TO THE FUTURE DELOREAN

or

THE CAR FROM KNIGHT RIDER

p.s. dont hassle the hoff

funnycarvx1.jpg

cheap and practical
costs less than 1% of your current budget

I would not worry about this friend. My old chap through preparatory school died from a car collision. The chap was wearing side collision airbags in his vehicle. Discounting other factors, this fellow seems like a very unimportant figure, and I woulder if the expense of this feature could be justified.
Anybody understood what DBR tried to say :confused:

Translation for ladynice:

My friend from prep school died in a car accident. He was wearing his seatbelt and his car had side impact airbags. Despite this he still died although statistically he should have been safer with these features. In the long run i wonder if these features do in fact save lives.

Obviously, the OFFICIAL Goldfishmobile...How dare you even ask...

444642.jpg

Anything Toyota. Those things last for years. On the road Toyota is probably the oldest make of car you see.

I'm getting the Rav4:Dlove it, very cute and sporty

I have a 2005 Accord that I've been very happy with. I've had no mechanical problems in 73,000 miles. You should check out the Honda Certified Used program--the cars come with a great warranty. That could come in handy when you're living on a modest income as a student and a resident.

If you're thinking of an Accord, they've had some issues with the '98-'02 4-speed automatic transmissions and the '03 V6 5-speed automatics. If you test drive one, watch out for transmission slipping, shift flares, and rough shifting. If you're thinking of a Civic, watch out for cracked exhaust manifolds on the '01-'03 models. The Camry is also a great car, but watch out for engine oil sludge on '97-'01 models (blue smoke at startup, rough idle, overheating). The engine issues are especially pronounced on the 3.0-liter V6. 2000-2003 Nissan Maximas are pretty reliable, as well, and they have a timing chain instead of a belt, which normally lasts the life of the car (the '02+ Toyota 2.4-liter fours and '02+ Honda 2.4-liter fours also use timing chains, the others use belts). That can save you some money on maintenance.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I really have to disagree with everyone who is suggesting you get a used car. You will be driving this car for 7 years or more. That would be the difference between driving a 2001 vs. a 1998 now. Your biggest worries with the car will be repairs and insurance, not resale value. Resale value is the biggest argument for getting a used car. I doubt you will really care what you sell your car for when you complete your residency.

You don't want a luxury car because the insurance will be higher. A used car is a question mark because you are not sure if the regular maintenance was performed...and carfax does not show everything. We sold my wife's car a couple of years ago and it had two minor accidents (replaced radiator, front panel, exhaust system) and nothing showed on carfax. Besides, you always have to ask yourself why someone would sell a great car that is a couple years old. Surely if it was that great, there maybe someone in their family who could use it? Maybe you would get a deal...but maybe not.

I believe you should get a NEW Civic, Fit, Versa, Sentra, or Camry. Get something reasonable and new. Take good care of it and perform all scheduled maintenance and you should be fine through residency.

what about a good deal on AWD, for those of us who have rough winters?