Technology Best cell phone service within hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocReymundo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Can anyone tell me which cell phone providers provide great signal within the hospital? I had Virgin Mobile and I literally would completely lose signal inside of the hospital leaving me incommunicado with my friends, colleagues, interns, residents, and attending. I need a cell phone provider that will gaurantee me signal within the hospital so that i can communicate with my team. I feel left out!!!

Thanks!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

This is dependent on:
  • the hospital building composition
  • how close you are to a window
  • what floor you are on (relative to ground level vs. underground)
  • how many cell phone towers nearby
  • how close all the cell phone towers are to your location inside the hospital
  • the antenna and radio in your specific cell phone
  • if your hospital has invested in an internal cell phone antenna infrastructure
  • friction (just kidding)
The point is, the variables are all over the place. I believe Virgin Mobile is a Sprint-owned MVNO (Mobile Voice Network Operator) so it uses the Sprint network primarily, so you could check Sprint coverage maps for your area, but even then that doesn't get nitty gritty to cover the other variables.

Best answer? Take a poll of people within the hospital and see what they use. The larger sample size the better.

Geeky answer? Take the provider out of the picture and if you can use your cell phone on the hospital Wi-Fi, there are apps that communicate over that network in lieu of relying on a 3G/4G LTE connection, but this depends on your hospital's network security setup.