Best company for Optometry Equipment (Trial Lens Lens & Frames Set)

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chb64

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently a first year optometry student and was hoping to get some advice from fellow upper-year optometry students and practising optometrists on what equipment/companies I should buy. I am buying a Trial Lens + frame set (260 pieces including the concave/convex lenses, cylinders, contact lens loupe, base curve lens clock, prisms, and a frame).

I have the following options:

INNOVA - $1125 plus tax if buying trial lens with the Oculus frame or $725 + tax if buying a plastic frame.
AXIS Medical - $1048 including taxes, with titanium frame OR plastic frame
McCray (this one is Canadian so I'm not sure if too many people here are familiar with this one) - $1000

I am leaning towards Axis because 1) their lenses are beveled so as to prevent chipping and 2) their lens clock has metal tips instead of plastic like the other companies (and thus will last longer). However when I tried putting their lenses into their frames, they could easily fall out when inserted in the back. Oddly enough, the Innova lenses fit a bit better into the plastic frames.

The only thing I do not like about Axis is that replacement parts would take time to ship, and their +/- lenses aren't easily distinguisable (the Innova and McCray have them in different colors so its easier).

I am not sure how often optometrists use each of the different pieces in clinical practice (I only saw one optometrist use her trial lens kit when I was shadowing in my pre-optom days).

If anyone has any advice or comments about these companies (products, services, etc), that would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need to buy a trial-lens set. Every rotation on which you go, every job for which you apply, will have a trial-lens set available for you. (If you do find yourself in need of one in your career, buy one then — when you actually have an income).

Commando303 is right for the most part. But during the times you will need them you will have to borrow from classmates, which can be annoying to both them and yourself.

I utilize a trial frame almost every exam and find it useful. If I don't have one in my office, I look for one or request one. You don't need (+) cyl lenses by the way. I also don't think a lens clock is ever something you'll need unless you start your own practice and have an optical selling glasses.

You just need (-) cyl lenses, plus lenses, minus lenses, prism, and maybe some auxiliary lenses like the pinhole, slit aperture, and red lens. Any trial frame will do.

BUT AGAIN, ALMOST EVERY PRACTICE WILL ALREADY HAVE ONE WAITING FOR YOU.

I'm surprised they are $1000+. Four years ago, I thought they were going for around $300-400.

Members don't see this ad :)
Commando303 is right for the most part. But during the times you will need them you will have to borrow from classmates, which can be annoying to both them and yourself.

I utilize a trial frame almost every exam and find it useful. If I don't have one in my office, I look for one or request one. You don't need (+) cyl lenses by the way. I also don't think a lens clock is ever something you'll need unless you start your own practice and have an optical selling glasses.

You just need (-) cyl lenses, plus lenses, minus lenses, prism, and maybe some auxiliary lenses like the pinhole, slit aperture, and red lens. Any trial frame will do.

BUT AGAIN, ALMOST EVERY PRACTICE WILL ALREADY HAVE ONE WAITING FOR YOU.

I'm surprised they are $1000+. Four years ago, I thought they were going for around $300-400.

Mathcod is correct it may be annoying to have to share trial lenses. Personally, I seldom trial-frame, but that's not the point. I need trial lenses — pretty much every optometrist, with at least some frequency, does.

I actually like to have plus-cyl. trials on hand. First, you may be working with ophthalmology, where plus-cyl. might be the norm. Second, I find it a useful tool to neutralize astigmatism-correction present in a patient's spectacles, in the event I wish to determine whether making this adjustment in the new prescription is wise.

Stenopaic slit, for me, probable is the least useful auxiliary "lens."

Anyway, none of this is the point. You need a set while you're learning. The approach to addressing this is to push your school to invest in trial-lens sets for the exam lanes at your clinic, not to spend hundreds of dollars (plus interest) on an asinine purchase. This is absurd.

Thanks guys for your replies. I forgot to mention in my post that I am a Canadian student (studying at University of Waterloo) and will be practicing in Canada, not the US. My school requires us to buy one, as they are necessary for clinics in Year 3/4. It seems to me that American optometrists seem to use them more than we do in Canada, I've never seen one use it except the one that I shadowed (and she did her OD degree in the states). I've been told that you use them for low vision patients & the elderly/kids.

Yeah, so I've scrapped out the option of getting the "best lenses" as apparently they are all decent quality. I'm just debating on the frames. The Occulus frames are easier to work with (for me) but its at a price of $600!! I asked upper years at my school and most of them seem to really like the Occulus. The price tag is just hard to swallow so I've been torn on which to get, since the cheaper plastic frames weren't as easy for me to work with...

But thanks for the info, its good to know the kits would be available in most practices.